Authentic WW2 sliding

Comments

• Loqtrall
    12417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)
    I already said above that it is not sliding into cover that is a problem. It is aggressive  sliding like the one here.Where did you get that impression that I see this as a black and white issue? I am unfortunate enough for lack the fluency you have at presenting my thoughts so I might have wrote something in a way that it was misinterpreted.

And where did you get the impression that I was only talking about sliding into cover? I said that's mostly what I personally use the mechanic for, but I was speaking about the overall mechanic regardless of its use.

And I got the impression you see this as a black and white issue because you just started your response off with "objectively speaking" (meaning based on fact), and then implied sliding in its current iteration has more of a negative effect on the game than positive and doesn't blend with gameplay as well as other glaringly, blatantly arcadey and unrealistic mechanics. Which is an entirely subjective matter with degrees so varied from person to person that there is no definitive answer as to whether or not it's effect on gameplay is objectively negative or positive or whether it's effects are noticeable to the point of taking away from gameplay.

That's why I said above that there are a myriad of facets and mechanics in thess games that are argued to have a negative impact on gameplay by one half of the community and argued the opposite by the other half of the community, and why I explained that it has been going on throughout the entire existence of this franchise.

3d spotting is a mechanic countless people reacted to as you're reacting to sliding. It isn't realistic or authentic at all, it is a glaringly arcade-y handholding mechanic solely implemented to make the game easier for lesser skilled and non communicating players, and one could easily argue that being able to spot 4 people for your entire team from 300m away by pressing a button has a profoundly negative effect on gameplay - but that didn't stop droves of people from seeing BF5s ping system at launch and criticizing DICE for removing 3d spotting, saying 3d spotting made the game better and more lax, etc.

Because BF as a franchise, as a whole, has been defined by its arcade-y, over the top, over dramatized nature, and has only gone more in that direction as time has gone on. I mean, really - we're talking about a franchise where you can revive someone who just got hit in the face with a tank shell by hitting them with a defibrillator, where you can use a bow and arrow as a primary weapon in a modern setting, where you can effectively use thermal optics in broad daylight in a desert, where you can walk atop a Zeppelin in ww1 (which wouldn't happen in a million years, btw), where you can stand on top of a Recon drone and fly around on it, where you can drive eod bots around burn people with a welding torch, where you can get shot 5 times and be back to perfect health in 10 seconds. The list legitimately goes on for days.

I don't see how sliding is any different or any more egregious in regards to being arcadey than other aspects of these games.

I don't know what's been happening with this community, but over the past year and a half, people within it have been treating BF games like they're substantially more grounded in reality or authenticity than they actually are, or like they need to be despite other games in the past not doing so.
  • Hawxxeye
    7058 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 4
    I personally find that fast soldier movement makes  a bad combination with pings, netcodes etc. ( I am not sure what is the right term to put all these together).
    As about the increasing arguments about realism and whatnot, it is DICE's fault for marketing this game as something that is more rooted in reality that others. They are so stuck up with it that they cannot alter the mag sizes of some guns to make them more viable.

• Loqtrall
    12417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I personally find that fast soldier movement makes  a bad combination with pings, netcodes etc. ( I am not sure what is the right term to put all these together)..As about the increasing arguments about realism and whatnot, it is DICE's fault for marketing this game as something that is more rooted in reality that others. They are so stuck up with it that they cannot alter the mag sizes of some guns to make them more viable.

And that's cool, I was just pointing out that it's not an objective consensus and that it's an arcadey mechanic in a game full of arcadey mechanics, belonging to a franchise with an existence-spanning history of being arcadey.

I personally have had very little issue with it. Actually, my most outstanding issue with the mechanic stems from people utilizing it in the exact same way I primarily do, and not being able to land that last shot before the enemy slides into cover (which is pretty much its best use). Other than that I haven't had much issue with people sliding, I've killed plenty of people in mid-slide. Hell, I've sniped plenty of people in mid-slide. It has about as profound an effect on hitting enemies as vaulting does, imo.

And I don't remember DICE marketing this game as being rooted or grounded in reality. From the very first time we ever saw BF5 it was ridiculous, over the top, inaccurate, unrealistic, and inauthentic just as every other BF title is - and the tag lines they used to describe the game at EA Play 2018 were literally "Our take on ww2" and "WW2 as you've never seen it before".

The most I remember about them marketing the game as even remotely accurate/realistic is saying the game would be immersive - which is, again, an entirely subjective matter wherein plenty of players do, indeed, find this game immersive.
  • VOLBANKER
    1589 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm eagerly awaiting the addition of pirouettes while we're at it.
  • smiggyg
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have no problem with the sliding mechanic itself. However just like everything else it gets exploited over time and now you have people sliding around making it 90% of their movement. It's definitely the new meta right now. I've also noticed it's become the new subtle way of tea-bagging. Just watch the killcam. You'll see people go out of their way knee sliding over their kills. LOL!  
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I personally dislike sliding so much. And I do it just like in this video, nearly constantly. I shudder to think what knee sliding on Hamada would actually feel like to do lol.

It just feels necessary in a game where I'm trying to play on flags and I'm constantly being pecked to death from every direction on maps where I have trouble seeing enemies.

Since we're back to a fast TTK, you can't afford to soak damage, so your best bet is to try and dodge bullets.
  • The_BERG_366
    2655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    one of the biggest complaints of people about this game has always been how campy it is. sliding is one of the few mechanics in this game that actually enables you to get an edge on all the campers. the last thing we need is to limit the effectiveness of sliding and jumping just to increase the effectiveness of camping around even more. 

there seems to be a decent amount of battlefield players that simply neither want to learn any kind of movement depth nor allow anyone else to learn it and hence get an edge over them. This seems to also show in this thread....
    time and time again, people claimed that the series was "dumbed down" and caters to noobs nowadays yet those same people also want to remove aspects that differentiate good players from bad ones (such as movement). 
  • DingoKillr
    4113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    one of the biggest complaints of people about this game has always been how campy it is. sliding is one of the few mechanics in this game that actually enables you to get an edge on all the campers. the last thing we need is to limit the effectiveness of sliding and jumping just to increase the effectiveness of camping around even more. 

there seems to be a decent amount of battlefield players that simply neither want to learn any kind of movement depth nor allow anyone else to learn it and hence get an edge over them. This seems to also show in this thread....
    time and time again, people claimed that the series was "dumbed down" and caters to noobs nowadays yet those same people also want to remove aspects that differentiate good players from bad ones (such as movement). 

Movement should be predictable and not easily exploited.

The current Slide maybe to frequent in usability to some. To me it is fine in slide length and I think is about right or a little longer for the pause.

Maybe the spread decrease time between slide and stop is to small. This allows a player who finishes the slide to almost instantly start firing with crutch spread. That is a huge advantage.

• InS_Hypno
    394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The mouvement in this game is the one in the series that actually allow you to outplay people

And its ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ perfect because of it
  • ProAssassin2003
    3820 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    But Mom it's a Tactic blah blah blah. 🤪
  • The_BERG_366
    2655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DingoKillr wrote: »

The current Slide maybe to frequent in usability to some. To me it is fine in slide length and I think is about right or a little longer for the pause.

Maybe the spread decrease time between slide and stop is to small. This allows a player who finishes the slide to almost instantly start firing with crutch spread. That is a huge advantage.

define "easily exploited". like in what way is the slide now "exploited"? is simply using slide an "exploit"?

what do you mean by "spread decrease time between slide and stop"? ads base spread on crouch and stand is identical for all weapons, so I don't know what advantage you're talking about.
  • talhaONE
    811 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    InS_Hypno said:
    The mouvement in this game is the one in the series that actually allow you to outplay people

Yep an Assault hero says mouvement is perfect because you are supposedly allow you to outplay people. Since he almost never plays Bolt action rifles so he has no idea how it feels like to be against an ADAD spammer that also constantly sliding all over the place.

Seriously you people are biggest hypocrites i have ever seen.
  • InS_Hypno
    394 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 11
    talhaONE said:
    InS_Hypno said:

Yep an Assault hero says mouvement is perfect because you are supposedly allow you to outplay people. Since he almost never plays Bolt action rifles so he has no idea how it feels like to be against an ADAD spammer that also constantly sliding all over the place.

Oh a guy who can't break 15% accuracy who's blaming the game instead of actually getting good
    You are the hypocrite mate
  • DingoKillr
    4113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DingoKillr wrote: »

define "easily exploited". like in what way is the slide now "exploited"? is simply using slide an "exploit"?

what do you mean by "spread decrease time between slide and stop"? ads base spread on crouch and stand is identical for all weapons, so I don't know what advantage you're talking about.
    Re-Read, I said it was fine and the suggestion that I made would make less aggressive and more defensive movement.

When you move, you have movement spread when you stop, you have stationary spread in norm play there is a figure to how quick that decrease occurs. In BF4 LMG had a relatively high transition it meant that you need to be still for a little bit otherwise if fired you would have movement spread for a time even when your are stationary.

Did I say ADS? Maybe check out Hip.

• sasqch10
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Another idiotic gameplay design add by Dice. It is embarrassingly laughable just constantly sliding all over the map and that works. What a joke and another in this cursed game.
  • JamieCurnock
    726 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have no problem with sliding or Sprint speed but I would prefer your character tires so you can't run forever. Like a 2 - 3 second cool down between sprints. At least then you would have to judge whether for example crossing an open field is too risky, currently I just run in erratic patterns and slide and find you can evade most people's shots. I'm sure bf3 or bf4 had that mechanic but maybe my memory fails me.
  • Loqtrall
    talhaONE wrote: »
    (Quote)

Recon is my most used class and the k98 is my top weapon and I have no issues with sliding either. I've legitimately headshot people who were in mid-slide more times than I can count.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11591 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I think sliding is a great addition - the distance you can get with it isn't that great (enough to maybe slide into cover in the nick of time), and it's not as if you can spam it back to back, there's definitely a 2~ second delay between activations. Never really had difficulty hitting people who slide, even when sniping.

If the argument is legitimately that it's not realistic or accurate to life, then the point is ultimately moot - there are more blatant fantasy elements and mechanics in this game for the sake of arcade-y gameplay than you can shake a stick at.

Sliding in this game is complete ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It’s literally the worst mechanic.