War Stories

MjrWalker
143 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
What's everyone's favourite War Stories from this title and why?

Mine is Nordlys due to the general mysterious ambience that story had, the staying warm feature, the big open snowy landscapes and of course the skiing.

Comments

• mesterKG
    165 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah. Played nordlys again during recent server outage and was surprised at how good it was.
  • MjrWalker
    mesterKG wrote: »
    Yeah. Played nordlys again during recent server outage and was surprised at how good it was.

It was one of the best of say. Very picturesque. I liked the Last Tiger too for actually getting to play as the German perspective.

I do wish they would of done one for the Pacific. I wouldn't mind exploring the experience of a random Japanese pilot, since we had a pilot story in BF1. Plus we're one less war story this time for some reason.
  • snakeater418
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Mine was completing Nordlys' challenges and not getting the knife because of a glitch.
  • MjrWalker
    Mine was completing Nordlys' challenges and not getting the knife because of a glitch.

Was it because of this unlock problem with reports? That should of been fixed by now.
  • ElliotLH
    9546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 12
    None of them blew me away to be honest. Probably Tirailleur if I had to choose though.
  • MjrWalker
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    None of them blew me away to be honest. Probably Tirailleur if I had to choose though.

Yeah, was definitely interesting. I liked the return of the Chauchat rifle too.
  • ElliotLH
    9546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MjrWalker wrote: »

For sure. Maybe one day they'll give it to us *sigh*.
  • MjrWalker

I never understood the widespread appeal and lust for it. Sure, it was ok in BF1 and V but personally there are many others I thought were better.
  • ElliotLH

I never understood the widespread appeal and lust for it. Sure, it was ok in BF1 and V but personally there are many others I thought were better.

It just 'clicked' with me in BF1 I guess and think it'd be interesting as a slow firing, hard hitting LMG in BFV.

They also did accidentally give it to some players and have assignments for it in V already, so they might as well release it lol.
  • MjrWalker

It just 'clicked' with me in BF1 I guess and think it'd be interesting as a slow firing, hard hitting LMG in BFV.

They also did accidentally give it to some players and have assignments for it in V already, so they might as well release it lol.

Yeah true, doesn't make sense to not include it. It's more at home in the game than the Selbstlader 1906.
  • CT1924
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Titaelleur. Trench fight was neat. That map could be good multiplayer, from the trandport road to the aa base to the castle, etc in breakthrough. So many good spots.
  • WalcalkhIII
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Personally I loved The Last Tiger. The different perspective definitely made it good, ontop of it showing the grave situation in early 1945 when Germany was getting hit on two fronts. Especially seeing E8s and Calliopes.
  • Zozeberry
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Mine is Nordlys due to the general mysterious ambience that story had, the staying warm feature, the big open snowy landscapes and of course the skiing.

If I did the war stories it'd be like this:

1. British raids in Norway against the heavy water processing plant. You get captured, frogmarched to the commanding officers quarters. He reminds you that all British commandos are to be executed, but he will spare you, if you give up your comrades. An air raid begins. You fight your way out and rejoin your squad, escape.
    2. USAAF African American pilots based in the UK in 1944 not only have to fight the Luftwaffe, but also racism against their fellow pilots.. they have to prove they got what it takes
    3. A female Polish resistance fighter, with her comrades against the might of the German army in the rubble and destruction of Warsaw must fight for survival. She eventually gives her life for her county.
    4. Last war story.1941. A young German private advancing into Russia with Panzers over the vast Russian steppe. Fades to black. Fast forward to 1945. Evacuated from Stalingrad. You are among the last soldiers defending Berlin. You begin to question your own ideology, morals and reasons for starting this war. You surrender.
    *Unlike the current war stories, there would be references to the Naz.i Party and H.itler* why avoid the history the game is trying to portray?
  • WalcalkhIII
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zozeberry said:

1. British raids in Norway against the heavy water processing plant. You get captured, frogmarched to the commanding officers quarters. He reminds you that all British commandos are to be executed, but he will spare you, if you give up your comrades. An air raid begins. You fight your way out and rejoin your squad, escape.
    2. USAAF African American pilots based in the UK in 1944 not only have to fight the Luftwaffe, but also racism against their fellow pilots.. they have to prove they got what it takes
    3. A female Polish resistance fighter, with her comrades against the might of the German army in the rubble and destruction of Warsaw must fight for survival. She eventually gives her life for her county.
    4. Last war story.1941. A young German private advancing into Russia with Panzers over the vast Russian steppe. Fades to black. Fast forward to 1945. Evacuated from Stalingrad. You are among the last soldiers defending Berlin. You begin to question your own ideology, morals and reasons for starting this war. You surrender.
    *Unlike the current war stories, there would be references to the Naz.i Party and H.itler* why avoid the history the game is trying to portray?
    My issue with the current war stories, is the many one man army scenarios that the game throws you through. It should be more about being with a team, as if you're actually engaging in a full on war versus just a one many army. Granted, Tirailleur didn't particularly have this issue since you actually had bros, same goes with The Last Tiger. What you're proposing would've been awesome. 
  • Sharkbite9204
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I despise Nordlys strictly for the fact that it is a blatant and dishonest revision of the real life mission known as Operation Gunnerside.

In 1943, nine Norwegian Commandos (all male btw) successfully parachuted behind enemy lines, after the first failed attempt from the British, and infiltrated the Vemork chemical plant that was occupied by the Germans and being used to develop heavy water for their nuclear weapons program. They were able to infiltrate the facility, plant their explosives, sabotage the entire operation, and escape completely undetected.

Because of these guys' efforts, Germany never got their atomic bomb.

This is widely considered THE most important mission of the entire war. Just imagine if Germany had successfully developed the atomic bomb and put them in their V2 rockets... WW2 would have ended very differently.

So it completely boggles my noggin that instead of re-telling this daring mission in BFV as it happened, with maybe a few artistic liberties to keep it interesting for the sake of gameplay, DICE decided to write these guys out of their own story and replace them with a lone teenage girl and her mother. Why? For what purpose?

DICE had literally thousands of real life accounts of women's contributions to the war effort that they could hav used for their war stories if they were that desperate to have a female as a main character. But instead they chose to have two fictional women take the credit for the accomplishments of real men. Despicable.
  • MjrWalker
    I despise Nordlys strictly for the fact that it is a blatant and dishonest revision of the real life mission known as Operation Gunnerside.

In 1943, nine Norwegian Commandos (all male btw) successfully parachuted behind enemy lines, after the first failed attempt from the British, and infiltrated the Vemork chemical plant that was occupied by the Germans and being used to develop heavy water for their nuclear weapons program. They were able to infiltrate the facility, plant their explosives, sabotage the entire operation, and escape completely undetected.

Because of these guys' efforts, Germany never got their atomic bomb.

This is widely considered THE most important mission of the entire war. Just imagine if Germany had successfully developed the atomic bomb and put them in their V2 rockets... WW2 would have ended very differently.

So it completely boggles my noggin that instead of re-telling this daring mission in BFV as it happened, with maybe a few artistic liberties to keep it interesting for the sake of gameplay, DICE decided to write these guys out of their own story and replace them with a lone teenage girl and her mother. Why? For what purpose?

DICE had literally thousands of real life accounts of women's contributions to the war effort that they could hav used for their war stories if they were that desperate to have a female as a main character. But instead they chose to have two fictional women take the credit for the accomplishments of real men. Despicable.

Well, the game series has never been accurate to be honest. I wouldn't strictly say it's "despicable" to not include a re-telling of that story. Battlefield has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Technically all the war stories from BF1 and V all have new characters in familiar scenarios. One could argue the entire game series takes credit in different areas to reality. The fact that it doesn't necessarily work out for the two women either continues the point that it was merely a nod to the heavy water development, and that further assaults continue to happen from that point.

I think they were merely trying to look at the struggle of a young local girl who had her home invaded. I wouldn't necessarily say it was due to wanting a female character somewhere, more for a general look into that area of the conflict.
  • MjrWalker
    (Quote)
    My issue with the current war stories, is the many one man army scenarios that the game throws you through. It should be more about being with a team, as if you're actually engaging in a full on war versus just a one many army. Granted, Tirailleur didn't particularly have this issue since you actually had bros, same goes with The Last Tiger. What you're proposing would've been awesome. 

Yeah I agree there. Billy Bridger's story felt a bit extreme in the sense that they took down so many by themselves. I liked the story but towards the end it got a bit superhero-ish.
  • MjrWalker
    Zozeberry wrote: »

Those do sound like very enjoyable concepts, I'd like to play.

Apparently the whole German history symbol thing was due to laws at the time. Video games were not classed as art, so couldn't include those symbols. During development however the laws changed, but it was too late to do major adjustments. Or so I've been told.
  • Sharkbite9204
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well, the game series has never been accurate to be honest. I wouldn't strictly say it's "despicable" to not include a re-telling of that story. Battlefield has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Technically all the war stories from BF1 and V all have new characters in familiar scenarios. One could argue the entire game series takes credit in different areas to reality. The fact that it doesn't necessarily work out for the two women either continues the point that it was merely a nod to the heavy water development, and that further assaults continue to happen from that point.

I think they were merely trying to look at the struggle of a young local girl who had her home invaded. I wouldn't necessarily say it was due to wanting a female character somewhere, more for a general look into that area of the conflict.

It was not just a "nod" to the heavy water development. That WAS the heavy water development. There were no attempts made at sabotaging the facility by resistance fighters before the Commandos did it.

The Brits attempted it first with Operation Grouse and Freshman, which failed and resulted in the captured Bristish commandos being executed by the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ under ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'s Commando Order.

Then came Operation Gunnerside, which like I said, was a critical success.

Afterwards the Germans managed to get the facility up and running again. When the Americans learned of this they bombed the facilty with planes, but failed to do any significant damage. The only thing they did was kill 22 Norwegian civilians.

Finally, there came the decision from the Germans to move what little heavy water they had remaining out of Norway and back to Germany, since they realized that the Vermok facility was a compromised target. This attempt was again thwarted by the Norwegian saboteurs when they successfully sunk the SF Hydro, a ferry that was carrying the last of the heavy water.

And that's it. After that, Germany's nuclear weapons program was done. Thwarted. Kaput.

DICE straight up took the most important mission in the European theater of WW2 and wrote all the Norwegian Commandos out of it and replaced them with Solveig and her mother. (Also the SF Hydro for some reason. That got replaced with a U-boat)

I do not have a problem with fictional characters being present in familiar or historical scenarios. But I do have a problem with fictional characters taking credit for the accomplishments of real people.

Saving Private Ryan features an entire squad of fictional characters that are present during the Normandy invasion on D-Day. But at least that movie never once implies that the only reason the Americans were able to take Omaha Beach was solely because of Tom Hanks.
  • Sharkbite9204
    The Brits attempted it first with Operation Grouse and Freshman, which failed and resulted in the captured Bristish commandos being executed by the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ under ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'s Commando Order.

Oh right. I forgot the BF forums don't very much like it when you mention Funny Moustache Man and the Really Bad Men who wear the Windmill of Friendship