The Tragedy of Battlefield 5

Survivor_killa
1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
some context
-
I bought battlefield 5 roughly 2 years after it's release, hoping by then the game would sort itself out (bugs, balancing etc)
but still 2 years later it feels like such a flop of a game. It's just dissapointing to see the way that it is right now, having friends who have been avid players of previous titles not play it or
just give up on the game is very dissapointing...
-
Why is this the case ?
The game was not just a product of it's f**ked launch and trying to shill for ideologies atractive to the souless corporation that is EA,
but the game was a mess from the get go, a rushed game it seemed, and even now there are prevalent problems it still faces, a whopping 2 years later. Whilst it's still putting out content ?? It just doesn't
make sense to me to not have the game be 100% in terms of playability before launching more content but so be it. I will write down what i belive is wrong with the game and could be fixed.
-
Things i belive are objectivelly wrong with the game.
-
The game has a series of problems that range from things that could be eazily fixed to core gameplay stuff that just isn't right, of which i will go over.
-
There are missing Features from previous games
-Being able to swap teams.
Why was switching teams removed in the first place ? Players are forced to stick to their losing teams, and furthermore players who want to defend/attack will be forced to wait until the next match in breakthrough GM
-
-Real community servers
Coming all the way from BF3 such a common feature was a great stop-gap measure to ensure quality management of server balancing and "Server events" by players themselves rather than by dice
-
-Actual team balancing
I have put extensive hours into BF5 and with the collective gathering of what other BF vets i know they mostly seem to agree balancing (at least in PC) has taken a massive dip in quality with constant
clan stacks and generally very one sided matches, But the subjective balancingisn't the only problem, actual numerical balncing is non-existent.
Meaning matches of 8v32 are possible. This is especially not acceptable 2 YEARS AFTER LAUNCH.
-
-Uncensored chat
Why censor chat at all, or why in the least not allow players to switch chat censoring on or off it's incredibly annoying when words like "Th**d R**ch" are censored In a ***** world war 2 game.
-
---
-
BUGS BUGS BUGS
Game breaking bugs are still well present 2 years after launch What the f*** ?
I have had so many times which i am playing a match and the game just decides i am now DEAD FOREVER and cannot respawn.
This bug has apparently never been adressed. ever.
-
CRASHES
Crashes are also not an uncommon sight in BF5, something which in previous titles i had hardly ever witnessed. This considering back then i had worse specs
And no my hardware is not at fault, this game just feels unpolished in that regard
-
Weird bugs aswell
Stranger but still unfun bugs are well present in the game, like the game screwing around with your audio making it seem like you are hearing things from far away
however these are much less frequent in comparison
-
---
-
Non Premium Players facing poverty ;(
well some kind of poverty, after level 70 (i think ?) you stop receiving a decent sum of currency for your efforts playing the game, making it harder and
unbelivably grindy to get the normal currency to get stuff like weapon/vehicle upgrades (Which is sort of scummy in it's own right) somewhat forcing players to deal with assignments which are....
-
Assignments are horrible
The assignments are terrible and are made hard to encourage microtransactions, much like a free mobile game would atempt to do (in a AAA title, really ?)
asking the players to perform tasks like getting 10k damage with a tank, EXCEPT you need to be INSIDE the objective, massively restraining the player
to a small cubicle to allow him to complete the task to get a measly 600 in game currency. Of which brings my to my next point. The assignments do not reward the player well
for their acomplishments considering their average difficulty. And this is not even touching skin assignments which ask that the player get several kills again inside or atacking the points
sometimes in a single life. Please change around the assignments making them more fun and increase the rewards. Oh also have fun being forced to leave a match to change
your only 4 assignments you can have at a time.
-
The bipod mechanic is incredibly inconsistent
I dont personally use support, but i like weapons like the MG34, a weapon that has made me see the unfortunate state of bipods in this game, since the weapon cannot shoot anything
longer than shotgun range and sometimes worse unless it is bipoded.
The bipod system sucks absolute ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, you move an inch to the left and it undeploys, leaving you constantly fearing moving at all, or forcing you to prone in a flat ground, usually
making you not see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ because of grass or having you be a eazy target considering if you get hit you can't move and your head gets hit first. If you dont like proning to get the bipod,
then you are left with stuff like fences and windows to use it, which are not always present and when they are they limit what you can view or expose you alot.
So please make the bipod STATIC stopping you from moving your camera enough to undeploy
-
AA and SPAA are underpowered
This being more recent issue, but alas fixed AA guns cannot deal with planes unless you have help from teammates with the flieger faust
Planes give ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ all cares to AA guns, flying very close to the air in disregard of them, being only afraid of the assaults fliegerfaust and other planes
fixed AA is weak, i have more than once witnessed myself shoot a plane until my AA gun overheats while the plane does a nose dive straight into me to drop a bomb. Which is beyond r***rded to see
SPAA in the other hand has the advantage of movement, however it suffers a similar fate to the AA gun, it's gun overheats too fast and it dies in one well place bomb barrage, forcing SPAA to duck under trees
or hiding next to bushes and constantly switching positions to have the slightest chance against bombers, for instance. So please rebalance the plane vs AA combat
-
Suppresion doesn't really exist
It's alot like poise in Dark souls 3, it says it's there but really it's not. When you "Suppress" someone they are spotted for a moment.
This is because there is no more random bullet deviation, making it a somwhat pointless ability, also meaning support classes will likely always lose to snipers
-
These having Been things i see as objective flaws in the entire game being either recent of unfortunately here since launch
All written below are my opinionated flaws is belive are in the game.
-
F***ed Balancing for weapons
I hope i am not alone on this but i feel as though some weapons dominate on each class, For medic you have the suomi and type2a, Assault is the STG 1-5, Support is the KE7 and lewis gun
and the sniper is anything that isn't bolt action lmao. Leaving weapons like the BAR, MG34, MG1919, MP40, Sten etc. Well behind. Albeit understandable it's still boring to see these weapons dominate
and have the rest just not be up to par
-
The Revive animation for the medic sucks
The way to revive on bf5 was vastly superior considering you weren't forced into an animation to revive someone, It's not wonder nobody ever revives anyone as a medic
it's annoying and takes too long
-
German Tanks Feel like they are all the same and tanks should have different purposes
With a few exceptions like the 38t, Staghound and all SPAA, the tanks feel the same, tiger is the pz4 except slightly more armoured but pretty much same speed
and the stug is mostly the same aswell but can only look foward, the british team also has a similar problem but in the least their light tank is noticeably faster than the mk6.
Tanks also play pretty much the same in general, with the exception of SPAA and the lightest ones. When instead Tank destroyers should focus on tank killing, heavy tanks should be slow as
hell but tanky as ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, medium tanks should be decently fast and decently armored. It feels all too similar
-
Some Things should not be in the game
I'm refering to stuff like the fixed gun churchill, the tank is litterally a meme tank, and the british have other more well know tanks, why put this one in the game. What the hell
the STG 1-5 was a volkssturm weapon, same for the gewher 1-5, it's almost comical that it's a meta weapon, it was used very late war, and was supposebly very unreliable due to the cheap manufacturing
It also looks like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and i despise it's overwhelming presence in the game.
And then you also have the WW1 weapons ported from BF1, whilst i like that they are there i wanted to see more of the WW2 weapons, they instead filled the roster with stuff from the previous game
rather than making more weapons for the game as whole.
-
Alas i conclude my "Rant" of sorts, I'd say the game could vastly improve on the stuff that i mentioned, but 2 years after launch an a list of problems with a tripple A title should be nowhere as this large
thus this game is just an expensive dissapoinment, and i am only glad i din't buy it from launch to see what this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ show was then. Good luck fixing this.

Comments

• Magikf1ngers
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Survivor_killa

1.  Battlefield V launched on November 9, 2018.  That's less than 1 1/2 years old.  Sorry - I despise misinformation, and it takes credibility away from anything else you say.
    2.  That being said - you have points I agree with:
         a. Auto balance / Team balance / ability to swap teams:  This is basically non-existent.  Period.  There's not even an attempt at team balancing.
         b. "True" community servers:  Having been the leader in a clan that used to run competitive ladders like OGL, CAL, and others - I can absolutely agree with this.  We had a fairly popular community built up around our pub servers - plural.  We had Counter-Strike from the beta, we started in Battlefield with the Desert Combat mod, and delved into other games off and on, but none stuck like Battlefield and Counter-Strike.  A trifecta of well run servers, a clan that tried to be good about making sure teams stayed balanced, and some awesome personalities in our clan kept us going for almost 15 years before we had to call it quits as people aged out, got married, etc.  We still have a private group on Facebook where we keep in touch.  Why this option was removed makes absolutely zero sense.
         c. Microtransactions / game currency ruins the game, IMHO.  I'd rather play and earn GOOD content than put up cash for it.  To me it's just a grab for cash by EA (and to a lesser extent, DICE).  I'd rather do what we use to do - pay for expansions - than get this "free" content that is only semi-good.  Remember the expansions for BF2 - zip lines, etc?  That was some cool stuff.  Even when it wasn't practical - it showed they were thinking outside the box and trying to make the game fun.  
         d. Templates.  That's the only way I can describe how armor and planes are developed.  They have templates, and then just put slightly different skins on them depending upon what country you're playing for.  So I absolutely agree about the armor feeling the same, etc.  I'll even go as far as to add to that, in that they're just completely unrealistic.  Things like some of the anti-aircraft weapons and tanks shouldn't be able to level and shoot ground troops.  The actual weapons in WWII could not lower to that extent and still fire.  I'll also add that they are WAY over-armored.  You shouldn't have to empty all of your ordinance as an anti-tank infantry to, essentially, scratch the paint.  A good anti-tank round to the tread should nearly immobilize the tank. Damage to the turret ring should freeze the turret.  Engine damage should disable the tank completely, and if it's a critical shot to the engine - set off the internal ammo storage.  Same with planes - direct hits from the anti-air cannons should do more damage than cosmetic.  Rudders should be disabled - elevators should be disabled - engines should be destroyed.  Instead - I've had plenty of experience sitting in an anti-air cannon putting round after round into a plane that's coming head on to me to have it just fly away.  Planes and tanks are horribly unbalanced in favor of the tank.
        e. Balancing for weapons is way off.  There are weapons that are ridiculously overpowered, and others that are ridiculously underpowered.  Others are completely way too accurate while some aren't as accurate as they should be.  Take the Lee Enfield as an example.  I actually own one from WWI and use it regularly as my primary hunting rifle.  It's fairly accurate out to about 100 yards, then it's useless.  The aerodynamics of the bullet keep it from being super accurate.  (It's a long bullet with a round nose)  Then you get other things like some of the auto-loading sniper rifles that have WAY too high of a ROF that people keep accurate with it.  

Other things I"m not going to comment on much - I don't care too much about the revive animation, as an example, though it would be nice if you could abort if necessary.  

Here's the biggest issues as I see them - setting aside most of above:

1. Ineffective - or completely missing - anti-cheat.  I miss the Punkbuster days.  Punkbuster wasn't perfect, but at least it erred on the side of being overly protective.  This is the first thing that's calling for me to fold up my support for this franchise that I've had going for nearly 20 years with the launch of BF 1942 in 2002.  I can tolerate a lot of other stuff, but having cheaters isn't one of them.  Especially those twerps that get in there and brag about cheating in chat.  I have no idea what kind of psychological problems prompt people to cheat in a video game, but it's not my job to tolerate, diagnose, or deal with it.  EA / DICE need to do SOMETHING in this area, but as I've experienced since BF4 and in other franchises - they do absolutely nothing.  "You can report it" - but that's tantamount to wetting your pants in a dark suit.  You feel better temporarily and get a warm feeling - but no one notices.  
    2. The next thing that's causing me to not spend another dime with EA is the lack of any support for community competitive ladders.  Being able to rent servers so you can lock them down for practice, scrimmages, etc - that's important.  It's important to be able to build up a community around those teams.  Being able to lock down a server for the actual competition is necessary as well.  I have no real idea why they stopped doing it, but IMHO - it's either greed or just a giant oversight.  
    3. The third thing - the fact that they've changed the game-play so much from what made Battlefield stand out.  Battlefield has always been a slightly slower pace, meaning - you had time to think and act on tactics rather than just twitch and shoot.  BF1 and V both have more of a COD feel to me than Battlefield - and I hate COD.  Things like limiting sprinting.  You would have to slow down and/or stop after sprinting for a while so you could "catch your breath".  That's just one example of it.  Sniper rifles had to be fired from kneeling or prone to have any sort of long range accuracy.  There's just so many subtleties that have been lost and replaced with twitchy game-play that it just .. feels different.
    4. The final thing - is the micro-transactions.  It's one thing to have in-game currency you can earn and use, but to have to purchase currency with real money and then buy content that has no tangible anything outside the game is ridiculous.  It's a grab for money, it takes away from fixing real issues with the game and developing real content for the game, and sucks some of the fun out of the game because you can't earn that awesome skin or whatever - you have to pay for it.  It cheapens the content to have to buy it. 

BFV is my last Battlefield purchase, and likely my last EA purchase.  I have been buying EA games longer than many of you have been alive most likely.  It's not that I feel I'm owed anything, it's more of - they have moved away form being about gaming and about the community into some huge, faceless, corporation.   It's frustrating, it's infuriating, but most of all - it's sad.

• talhaONE
    826 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Another ridicilously long post without any TLDR.
  • talhaONE
    826 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

reading comprehension must have been your cryptonite in school i reckon

Do you know the meaning of TLDR?
  • DaManiac72
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    talhaONE said:

Alas i conclude my "Rant" of sorts...
    Hmmm... I wonder what that last part meant? "I conclude"? To me he is saying that a AAA title shouldn't have a long list of in-game problems.
  • MBT_Layzan
    2460 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really hate BFV servers and their rotation. I miss so much having a few solid maps that ran 24/7, you could just enjoy for hours once in. 
  • Texator
    184 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With most points he is right
  • PuckersMcColon
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The AA is not underpowered, I led 4 pilots to their death last night in the span of a couple minutes on Wake Island CQ. Got them to chase me directly over a friend sitting on AA. He had no trouble taking them out with minimal effort. If you are overheating your AA, you are missing too much, might want to try burst firing until you get a better handle on it. A bad connection will also cause a lot of missed shots if you aren't leading properly.

So many bugs that have been since launch. So many bugs that were introduced during recent patches. It's ridiculous. There is no reason bugs take months to over a year to fix. Fix them and roll them out immediately. Don't delay, patch today!

Frankly they need to stop wasting time on balancing the weapons and more on the bugs. It's a boondoggle. They will never make everyone happy with it, but can use it as a handy excuse for not working on other needs.

Aside from that the game would benefit from BF4-like assignment system, they all track all the time without needing to get out of game. Also, 5 man squads please. I understand why they dropped it to 4, but I see so many squads of 1-2 players it defeats the purpose.
  • Survivor_killa
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ah sorry for bad english too, it's not my first language. And i din't mean to pass along misinformation on the game launch date, i just din't touch the game until a sale was on, and thought it
    has been launched about 2 years ago
  • olavafar
    2238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I agree to much of it but not all. The first of the 'objectively wrong' points for example:

-Being able to swap teams.
    Why was switching teams removed in the first place ? Players are forced to stick to their losing teams, and furthermore players who want to defend/attack will be forced to wait until the next match in breakthrough GM

It is no debate the ability is missing. It is quite obvious from the text, "Players are forced to stick to their losing teams", why this is the case. It is better that the 'pls carry me to a win' - players leaves rather than switch teams. They should imo kept the ability but restrained it so that you could only switch TO the losing team not FROM it as OP wants to do.
  • Magikf1ngers
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    talhaONE said:
    Sorry- didn't mean to tax your attention span and your reading comprehension.

• ragnarok013
    3693 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    talhaONE said:
    Sorry- didn't mean to tax your attention span and your reading comprehension.

Magikf1ngers keep the discussion civil.
  • trip1ex
    5183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

the game wants you to sit in the  ditch and scan the environment for a long period of time.  identify which hiding spots have enemies on them and which are clear of enemies.  identify the best route to take to assault your objective.  create some plans.  then go.

meanwhile an enemy respawns in 15 seconds. 

• MjrWalker
    143 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Most of that I sadly agree with.

I jumped aboard with Battlefield with BF1. Comparing V to that, BF1 felt like lots more time and passion was put in.

My biggest gripes are the bugs, team unbalancing and server crashes.

I do love some elements of the game, but no way near as much as BF1.
  • Hawxxeye
    7077 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Also visibility, spotting and bad PC optimization
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFV cured me of my love of this franchise. I haven't played the game in weeks and it's actually been pretty nice not having this as a frequent source of frustration. I still want to believe, but I'm really doubting it'll ever meet my expected standards of a Battlefield title at this point after release.