FG 42 - is it any good? I just don't know

Zavala451
49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I've been using the FG42 for a day or so now, and while I like the look of it I just feel it's in a pretty weak spot atm. 

It does the same dmg as the Lewis Gun, but holds less than half the mag (I know historical accuracy etc), kicks like a mule even when upgraded and not really very accurate even at medium distance. Seems like the Specs are deliberately hampering the gun as well (having to choose between recoil settings)

Whats the deal? is the gun actually good and I just need to "get gud"? I just feel it's near bottom of the barrel when it comes to the other options available in the support class

Comments

• dariarty
    98 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My most used weapon and while not quite as solid as it was in 5.0 it's still the best CQC to quite decent mid range option for Support.
    You will get used to the recoil in time and you'll be left with a bullet spewing monster than can give Medic's a run for their money up close and just shred at mid range.

It's versatile enough to dominate on maps ranging in typical engagement size from Devastation to Iwo Jima. The larger open maps like Panzerstorm, Hamada etc your probably better running with the Lewis.

Ditch the 3x scope and pop on the AA sights, for me it pairs best with the FG's strengths. 

You will run into issues in regard to hit reg, some servers in V are just broken so you'll expend an entire clip for just one kill. 

If Dice upped the ammo count on this bad boy or actually did something to improve NetCode it would be the strongest weapon in the game for me. 
  • talhaONE
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dariarty wrote: »
    My most used weapon and while not quite as solid as it was in 5.0 it's still the best CQC to quite decent mid range option for Support.
    You will get used to the recoil in time and you'll be left with a bullet spewing monster than can give Medic's a run for their money up close and just shred at mid range.

It's versatile enough to dominate on maps ranging in typical engagement size from Devastation to Iwo Jima. The larger open maps like Panzerstorm, Hamada etc your probably better running with the Lewis.

Ditch the 3x scope and pop on the AA sights, for me it pairs best with the FG's strengths. 

You will run into issues in regard to hit reg, some servers in V are just broken so you'll expend an entire clip for just one kill. 

If Dice upped the ammo count on this bad boy or actually did something to improve NetCode it would be the strongest weapon in the game for me. 

BAR is definetely better at CQB has slow fire mode for long range. FG-42 has less recoil but its not very relevant at those ranges.
  • MrCamp121
    1000 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zavala451 wrote: »
    I've been using the FG42 for a day or so now, and while I like the look of it I just feel it's in a pretty weak spot atm. 

It does the same dmg as the Lewis Gun, but holds less than half the mag (I know historical accuracy etc), kicks like a mule even when upgraded and not really very accurate even at medium distance. Seems like the Specs are deliberately hampering the gun as well (having to choose between recoil settings)

Whats the deal? is the gun actually good and I just need to "get gud"? I just feel it's near bottom of the barrel when it comes to the other options available in the support class

Its a worse version of the Bar, minus the hipfire capability
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 23
    I'm more of a Big Papa Lewis fan but going back to the FG-42 has been a nice breath of fresh air as of late - it can shred people but I really don't like the magazine count
  • mf_shro0m
    2291 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its just really mediocre. It’s a cross between an STG and a SturmG that comes with a bipod but which has 33% fewer rounds per mag which imo and ime isn’t worth it. I also don’t find the ammo attrition all that bad and so would rather have a craptonne of explosives and boosted self-healing over ammo pouches and an AT pistol.

The LMGs atm are underpowered as a whole and are weaker than ARs at short range and weaker than SARs at medium range.

Imo they should make the LMGs have better range (Meaning better damage strength short-medium and medium range) than the ARs but with nerfed recoil to simulate the trade-off of controllability for power that there is irl
  • TFBisquit
    2115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The small mags limit these kind of weapons.
  • The_BERG_366
    2584 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MrCamp121 said:

Its a worse version of the Bar, minus the hipfire capability
    in 5.2.2 yes. now its a lot better than the bar at range, due to significantly lower horizontal recoil. i'd argue the fg is the best lmg to win straight up 1v1 gunfights. Also in the tiny comp scene that is left in this game, the fg42 is the most used lmg right now. 
  • CT1924
    955 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I took quick aim, ported barrel, barrel bedding, and a stock adjustment.
    Yes, there is kick. Buf semi auto fire can knock headshots off easily. Hipfire does limit it, but at 670rpm it is fine up to 5m. Scope up and back away past that. I use a 3x scope. I also refuse to main anything but an LMG. I'm kinda stupid that way.
  • talhaONE
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    in 5.2.2 yes. now its a lot better than the bar at range, due to significantly lower horizontal recoil. i'd argue the fg is the best lmg to win straight up 1v1 gunfights. Also in the tiny comp scene that is left in this game, the fg42 is the most used lmg right now. 

BAR has slowfire mode with minimal horizontal recoil. There is no way Fg-42 perform better then BAR at range.
  • dariarty
    98 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    talhaONE said:
    (Quote)

BAR has slowfire mode with minimal horizontal recoil. There is no way Fg-42 perform better then BAR at range.
    I think it depends on what you intend to use the FG for.

I tried both the FG and the BAR on Squad Conquest and while I believe personal playstyle makes each case individual to a degree, I found the FG to be far superior in CQC to mid range.

Further out into the Mid-long range areas yes the slower fire option on the BAR would make it easier, except I don't particularly find LMG's that effective in long range now. If your opponent has a SAR or SLR you can just as easily be wiped out while still landing shots with the slow firing BAR.

Support seem's to be a jack of all trades master of none class at the mo. 
  • The_BERG_366
    2584 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    talhaONE said:
    (Quote)

the slow firerate is simply bad though because it doesnt have a differing damage model tied to it anymore. to take advantage of this low recoil you reduce your firerate to 480 rpm (or 500 rpm? not entirely sure anymore but something around this). the fg on the other hand provides decent controllability with a 670 rpm, hence yielding better results. just to clarify: when i say that the fg42 is better at range i mean anything reasonable for such weapon that is further than maybe 25 meters or so and less than.. 80 maybe? i mean either gun is effective at 100 meters for example and hence most players don't even try to use lmgs at that range. im sure the bar in slow rpm mode can be better than the fg at some ranges but those are rather close to where both guns start to be ineffective anyways. hence i would argue that the fg42 is better on most relevant ranges outside of close quarters. 
  • KingRofty
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BAR is the one you want to play with, as it has selective fire rate and faster fire rate than the FG-42.  EZ Clap
  • VOLBANKER
    1437 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Using a 1X scope instead of i.e. 3X scope makes it easier to control recoil IME, at least on pc.
  • KingRofty
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER said:
    Using a 1X scope instead of i.e. 3X scope makes it easier to control recoil IME, at least on pc.
    I'm playing on PS4, and the 3X scope on the BAR is unusable with the fast fire rate. However, it's quite manageable with the selective fire rate.

But yes, I also switched to the 1X reflex sight, works much better.
  • bran1986
    5864 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 25
    It will be good once DICE fixes these idiotic damage drop offs for automatics.
  • CT1924
    talhaONE wrote: »
    (Quote)

FG42 kills faster at range, and has the possibility for low horozontal recoil, and barrel bedding, for full auto.
  • CT1924
    bran1986 wrote: »

Autos are no longer good at mid range, but lmgs are designed for mid range. RIP.
  • MrCamp121
    1000 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CT1924 wrote: »
    (Quote)

FG42 kills faster at range, and has the possibility for low horozontal recoil, and barrel bedding, for full auto.

Ill never use an fg42 or BAR for range. The BAR shreds in cqc provided you can track without hipfire
  • CT1924
    MrCamp121 wrote: »
    (Quote)

Ill never use an fg42 or BAR for range. The BAR shreds in cqc provided you can track without hipfire

To each their own. But select fire let's me string headshots like a lewis gun. Plus, it has one of the good + shape 3x scopes.
  • bran1986
    5864 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »

Autos are no longer good at mid range, but lmgs are designed for mid range. RIP.

They aren't even good at what I would consider close range. Certain dmrs will beat certain smgs, ARs, and lmgs at just 10 meters.