The sound engine and visual feedback are poor and lead to unnecessary deaths

ttth2
32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited March 22
The sound quality is brilliant but the audio positioning is appalling and I am not only talking about the footsteps:
-Planes have the well documented problem of doing no noise unless diving until they pass you (and have killed you). Tanks are a law unto themselves. They can be incredibly quiet though at times.
The audio prioritisation fixes nothing. When shot at, it is near impossible to know where the shot is from.
Though I do not have the best and latest 3D headphones solution but an humble stereo configuration, I should be able to pick up a location on my left or on my right. Most games/ music manage good audio positioning in stereo.

This leads me to my next complaint: The visual feedback is poor.
The damage indicator often points in the wrong direction. If things are noisy around me, it takes a while to realise that I am being hit as there is no "body"reaction to being shot (ie the view does not shake etc...). It also makes no sense that being hit does not involve your aim swaying etc...

Furthermore, as someone pointed out in a thread (the sandbag glitch), the hitbox mesh bears little ressemblance to its visual representation (what we actually see). I would welcome a reduction in polycount in favour of a more accurate hitbox.

Comments

• -aarp-19Crib
    735 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WW2 tanks were diesels, and they didn't sneak up on you like in BFV, and yeah, the sound direction is wrong most of the time.
  • CrashCA
    1258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thought they fixed some this, guess just Coming SOON™
  • Wboson
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Was playing mostly FS and I could always pin point players location only by steps after I turned on Dolby Surround in my Headphones and 3D in game settings. Same with vehicles. It was bad but since update 4.x it has been "fixed" mostly.
    Damage indicator has been this awful since BF1.
  • Jagick
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 24
    Dead silent tanks and planes that make no noise until after they've buzzed overhead and bombed you. Reminds me of Battlefield 1 honestly. I remember a time when footsteps and horses were almost completely inaudible. I don't know what happened in the last several years since Battlefield 3 and prior but it seems like DICE have forgotten how to develop games. They just keep getting smaller and buggier with every release. Patches break more than they fix.
  • xXDCFluffy
    255 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Its not great but try playing CoD Warzone then you will miss BF's sound issues!
  • DiscoPr0
    100 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I hate hearing footsteps and knowing someone has a lock on me but having no idea which way to look. I always thought maybe my audio settings were off.

Even with headphones on it isn't any better.
  • ttth2
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its not great but try playing CoD Warzone then you will miss BF's sound issues!
    The fact that COD has poor sound is irrelevant. BF5 has been out for almost 1.5 years.
  • EXILE157
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    -I've been saying this for some time now, I could hear the footsteps loud and clear, but I can't pinpoint which direction is coming from, by the time I find out its too late enemy got me.
    -Tanks are like Ninjas sneaking up on you and Airplanes, I don't hear the Airplane sound when they hit a hard dive or when they flying by at low altitude.
    -Hit indicator is off you can't tell which specific direction you're getting hit from.
    -You still have players shooting action bolt rifles or any single shot weapon like machineguns.
    -I go to servers within 3-11 Ping and my Fios connection is constantly @  DownLoad / Mbps 587.29! and UpLoad / Mbps 821.03! Yet on BFV servers have horrible delays and laggy players, you shoot enemy consistently front and back, but somehow they dodge or take your bullets and still manage to kill you with a pistol.

• SneakyGunman
    379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 26
    If I were to guess this game might be using 16bit audio when it should be higher.  If so, it might be the source of the problems in ambient and other sounds that should be natural.

Here is a thread that talks about it more:

Edit:
    Found the post that explains that it's using 16bit audio

Frostbite sound files are produced at source 24 bit 96khz uncompressed PCM, dithered down to 16bit 48khz and compressed to .cas files in the engine to keep all the sound files at realistic sizes. You can extract the raw files with Python 2.7.6 as per here instructions here  https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19074 if you want to confirm for yourself and then analyse them with any modern capable DAW.

They are then played through the engine and converted back to PCM audio at your sounds cards sample / bit rate via whatever DAC you use of course.

The highest possible audio quality you can achieve, configuration wise, is by setting your output device to 48khz and at least 16 bit with output in game to
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/1546397/#Comment_1546397

• CSO7777
    1611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The sound issues seems to be a Frostbite-problem. BF4 was very bad (no footsteps, vehicles being silent), BF1 improved footsteps but vehicles/planes didn't work very well.

Frostbite only plays 20 sound-effects at once and Dice has confirmed that they are looking into increasing this number. The new prioritization have improved the sound a little, but in reality 20 sound effects is not enough with 64 players on the map. And it still seems like 'immersive' effects like arty-strikes (which can always be heard even from very far away) or end-of-round-music takes precedence over important sounds.

If "nothing" is happening on the server (no arty, bombs etc), then it sometimes works ok. Some locations works better than other, when being inside the church of Devastation, you can always hear footsteps from enemies running outside the church (I have killed countless number of "flanking" players by 'abusing' this).

But the sound in general is not improved much, after with the newest changes and are in general just bad.