Everyone liking bf1 again

giu_gana
18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello
Abot 6 or 7 months ago i created the discussion "why is bf1 so disrespected?"" and i predicted that the hate on that game would die down overtime. That happened WAY earlier than i expected; why is that so? Did it happen with every battlefield game or is it just a bf1 "thing"? Would love to hear some veteran' s opinion on the topic! ( i only play battlefield since 2015)

Comments

• disposalist
    8851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BF1 has always been unpopular with certain groups, but only loud minorities (I mean that in a literal sense, not to be rude or insulting). It does tend to be that some group or other will always prefer the previous version for whatever subjective personal reason.

A lot of people are like me, though, in that they've loved each and every BF and each one has been improvement and change enough that we've let go of the previous.

That was until BF5. That just plain sucked and was especially disappointing after how awesome BF1 is.
  • Ronin9572
    1160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Skill4Reel wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 was a hugely popular game despite many of it's shortcomings?  Yes.  The were, and still are several issues with Battlefield 1, but it has always been a quality game.  I was one of several people on these boards voicing my opinions about things that needed to be improved in Battlefield 1, but I never stopped playing the game.  Quality level design and great visuals tend to do that, and I also liked how this game didn't have useless unlockable attachments like Battlefield 4.   Keeping things simple helped me focus on what was really important in Battlefield, and that was playing the game modes with my team. 

Battlefield V is the first time since I've started playing this series where one of these games hasn't kept me focused on it.  I don't like most of the maps.  I don't like it visually.  I don't even like the character models, and then there is so much of what was added to Battlefield V that I don't care about.  Firestorm, character customization, Tides of War, Assignments, and fortifications.  None of this stuff matters to me as a Battlefield player.  I was more impressed by Levolution and Behemoths in previous games.  Personally I can't overlook what I don't like about Battlefield V and keep playing it like I could with previous games in the series. 

Totally agree with all you said! All the same things you disliked about BFV I did as well. The artwork and colors were terrible,and don't get me going on the sliding and animation mechanics! I liked the simplicity of BF1 with weapons and skins, the variants and sweet spot were innovative. Plus everyone had the same uniforms!! I'm taking a break from RDR2 and the Division 2 and I'm back to playing BF1!
  • Titan_Awaken
    1126 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 10
    giu_gana said:
    Hello
    Abot 6 or 7 months ago i created the discussion "why is bf1 so disrespected?"" and i predicted that the hate on that game would die down overtime. That happened WAY earlier than i expected; why is that so? Did it happen with every battlefield game or is it just a bf1 "thing"? Would love to hear some veteran' s opinion on the topic! ( i only play battlefield since 2015)
    Well ya see, there are some real world predicaments going on right now that are keeping people indoors for the time being, if you catch my drift... And what people do when they are locked indoors? 

They play games (among other indoor activities) to pass the time which might explain the recent resurgence in popularity in games.* 

*Fun little fact: Steam just broke 23 million concurrent users online these past few days! 
  • Temp1st
    2493 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    BF1 is a game with a lot of polish, for battlefield anyways. BFV had/has so many problems still that even after pacific DLC its still in a garbage state.
    I hope DICE learned from all the mistakes of BFV, drop it ASAP and move on to BF6 anew. Literally the only thing BFV has going for it right now is the gunplay.
    This is not even going into the taboo about how immersion breaking BFV really is as a "WW2 shooter"
  • disposalist
    8851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Temp1st said:
    BF1 is a game with a lot of polish, for battlefield anyways. BFV had/has so many problems still that even after pacific DLC its still in a garbage state.
    I hope DICE learned from all the mistakes of BFV, drop it ASAP and move on to BF6 anew. Literally the only thing BFV has going for it right now is the gunplay.
    This is not even going into the taboo about how immersion breaking BFV really is as a "WW2 shooter"
    And a lot of people don't even like the gunplay, so if that's the only 'good' thing... yikes ;^)
  • giu_gana
    (Quote)
    Well ya see, there are some real world predicaments going on right now that are keeping people indoors for the time being, if you catch my drift... And what people do when they are locked indoors? 

They play games (among other indoor activities) to pass the time which might explain the recent resurgence in popularity in games.* 

*Fun little fact: Steam just broke 23 million concurrent users online these past few days! 

I don' t agree with that because there isn' t a single soul going back to hardline and saying it was a masterpiece. Bf1 was probably treated too harshly by the community over it's life span but now, seeing how bad a game can be( ahem bf5), it' s finally getting the appretiation it deserves
  • giu_gana
    BF1 has always been unpopular with certain groups, but only loud minorities (I mean that in a literal sense, not to be rude or insulting). It does tend to be that some group or other will always prefer the previous version for whatever subjective personal reason.

A lot of people are like me, though, in that they've loved each and every BF and each one has been improvement and change enough that we've let go of the previous.

That was until BF5. That just plain sucked and was especially disappointing after how awesome BF1 is.

The loud minority part is definatly true, maybe they even got encouraged by some youtubers not "enthusiastic" with the game (lvlcap in primis)
  • Ronin9572
    1160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    giu_gana wrote: »

The loud minority part is definatly true, maybe they even got encouraged by some youtubers not "enthusiastic" with the game (lvlcap in primis)

I've run into a few ppl recently who are adamant about BF1 sucking. They were mostly mad it wasn't BF4.5, and it was a WW1 themed game. I enjoy BF1 because it was something different and that time period hadn't really been done. I was so excited to hear BFV was going to be WW2 themed. Due to the fact I grew up on WW2 shooters and was tired of the last 12+ yrs with modern/futuristic shooters. But I didn't like EA's version of a WW2 themed game!
  • Titan_Awaken
    1126 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 13
    giu_gana said:
    (Quote)

I don' t agree with that because there isn' t a single soul going back to hardline and saying it was a masterpiece. Bf1 was probably treated too harshly by the community over it's life span but now, seeing how bad a game can be( ahem bf5), it' s finally getting the appretiation it deserves
    What do you mean "treated too harshly by the community"? 

It was (and still is) almost universally beloved when it released in 2016, with overwhelmingly positive reviews from outlets and individuals alike. 9/10 on IGN. 88% positive on Metacritic, 89% by PC gamer, a 4.6/5.0 star rating for Google Reviews, 9.0/10 by Polygon, 9/10 by GameSpot... need I go on?

2016 was a helluva year for Battlefield. Battlefield's direct competitor Call of Duty screwed up with Infinite Warfare and remains to this day one of the most disliked videos on YouTube with 3.8 MILLION dislikes. When IW was released, it was met with lukewarm reviews and receptions to say the least. Meanwhile Battlefield 1 glowed, almost outselling CoD:IW which mind you, is an extreme rarity as CoD has always outsold BF games by a mile. 

The harsh criticism you talk about came from the loud minority, the "hardcore veterans of the franchise" venting their frustration either here on the forums or on reddit. And if you know anything about negativity, you'll know that it stands out like a tree in a flowerbed. If you have 10 people with 9 of them talking positively about BF1 and 1 guy talking trash about BF1, chances are the 9 others will focus their attention on that 1 guy, the contrarian. 

Point is, people will tend to latch onto negativity much more profoundly than positivity, even if the negative crowd is literally the minority. Besides, the people who like the game will be too busy you know, playing the actual game instead of arguing with strangers on the internet how his or her opinion is wrong. 

Edit*: I should have been more clearer but I am in no way saying that BF1 is without flaws; BF1, like literally every other video game in existence, has its fair share of flaws. My post is directed to the crowd that make absurd, overly-exaggerated statements like "This franchise will be dead in no time if DICE decides to continue down this path". This game is by no means perfect in any sense of the word but it is at least a good game, if nothing else.
    Post edited by Titan_Awaken on
  • BtheReaper49
    370 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    giu_gana wrote: »

I've run into a few ppl recently who are adamant about BF1 sucking. They were mostly mad it wasn't BF4.5, and it was a WW1 themed game. I enjoy BF1 because it was something different and that time period hadn't really been done. I was so excited to hear BFV was going to be WW2 themed. Due to the fact I grew up on WW2 shooters and was tired of the last 12+ yrs with modern/futuristic shooters. But I didn't like EA's version of a WW2 themed game!

Couldn't agree more! I'm convinced that most players who didn't like BF1 wanted to continue the modern shooter genre and didn't want to go back to a historical period in time. I love BF1 because I like history and as you said, it was something that hadn't been done before. And they nailed it! Seriously if listening to the Martini Henry Infantry fire off in 5.1 surround sound isn't enough to make you go WOW then I don't know what to say. And not to keep trashing BF5 but BF1 has those "moments" that keep me recording on the XBox. I probably have 100-200 of them. BF5? Maybe a dozen