Users that swapped HDD for SSD...

smokiuaces214
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Have you noticed a change in performance?

I'm thinking of using an external SSD, but I don't want to invest $80-100 if it won't do much. I'm just tired of waiting for all the assets to load in the beginning of the match (the untextured faceless people) and the long load times in the main menu.

Comments

• ElliotLH
    9601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 4
    Yep. I bought a Samsung drive and an enclosure when BF1 was mid-life and for me it's been worth the cost. All my games get installed there and it's lovely not having to sit too long looking at a loading screen.

If you're thinking of buying one just for BFV then it's probably not worth it though.
  • NASTYNEIL357
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’m interested in this any info will be appreciated.
    Can I just buy an external ssd and plug it in via a usb or is it more complicated.
  • RUFIORUFIOO
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes absolutely get yourself a SSD worth every damn penny. Do the upgrade you'll never turn back to HDD again lol
  • ElliotLH
    9601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    I’m interested in this any info will be appreciated.
    Can I just buy an external ssd and plug it in via a usb or is it more complicated.

Pretty much. I just formatted mine using the Xbox, set it as my storage location and that was basically it.
  • NASTYNEIL357
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks I think I will treat myself then.
    Bfv takes so long to load now and often the squad doesn’t even render before the next round.
    I’m using an Xbox one s if that makes any difference.
  • Mishkin37
    833 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I picked up a 1 TB Samsung SSD a couple years ago in an Amazon sale.

- Super easy installation
    - I load every game onto it
    - I load into Battlefield before my squad mates; I’m usually at the first flag before they spawn in
    - I’m very happy with the purchase
  • ElliotLH
    Thanks I think I will treat myself then.
    Bfv takes so long to load now and often the squad doesn’t even render before the next round.
    I’m using an Xbox one s if that makes any difference.

Nah I had mine set up on my S before I bought an X to replace it.
  • TectonicGuns
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    external SSD are well worth it if you want a chance at tanks or planes at match start..
  • sabersun
    153 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mishkin37 wrote: »
    - I load into Battlefield before my squad mates; I’m usually at the first flag before they spawn in

Great then I don't have to walk a mile on Panzerstorm and can just spawn directly on the flag :smile:
  • SithMetal71
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    big difference, with all games loading from SSD. Everything is generally quicker loading.
  • diagoro
    1593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Also agree. Perfect example, was playing in a squad with a friend. He was surprised how I always got a vehicle at the beginning of a round, while he losded in much later. It makes a big difference.
  • smokiuaces214
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you all for your input! I'll be on the lookout for the next sale on SSDs. With so many issues in the game already, I can at least look forward to having faster loading times. I also suspect this issue will get worse once body customizations are added too.
  • smokiuaces214
    Update!

Wow, I should have bought a SSD years ago. I boot the game and load matches almost instantly. It saves me precious time when I'm trying to game on my lunch break and it's just smoother overall. As an added benefit, since I can load matches faster, I have better chance to get into the vehicles I want. I completely recommend getting an external SSD and moving all your multiplayer, and role-playing, games on there.
  • sabersun
    153 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 27
    Agree.

But now people will grab my tank. :-)
  • Mishkin37
    833 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Update!

Wow, I should have bought a SSD years ago. I boot the game and load matches almost instantly. It saves me precious time when I'm trying to game on my lunch break and it's just smoother overall. As an added benefit, since I can load matches faster, I have better chance to get into the vehicles I want. I completely recommend getting an external SSD and moving all your multiplayer, and role-playing, games on there.

Glad to hear you’re liking it. Hey, we still need to get into some games!
  • TamKingski
    1790 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    While an ssd is probably a little faster,i would also recommend a hybrid hdd drive for a great bang for your buck if its only use is for console.

Hybrids hdds are alot cheaper compared to a full ssd and are pretty much just as fast as an ssd on current consoles.

If pc then your probably better going for the full ssd experience as pc can utilize full ssd speeds compared to consoles due to hardware/software limitations on console.