This game eats literally any cpu

6Geri6
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Previously, I had a 4790k paired with an rtx 2070 (non super), and bf1 totally destroyed that cpu, it was using 100% of it all the time, and it barely managed to get 40 fps. That cpu had 4 cores / 8 threads.

Recently I changed from that to Ryzen 9 3900x (12 core / 24 threadm using the same gpu), and I found something very interesting: the game totally eats up the cpu, at least what the game can handle.
To make the game playable, I have to run this user.cfg file:
Thread.MaxProcessorCount 12
Thread.ProcessorCount 24
thread.minfreeprocessorcount 4
The most important here is Thread.MaxProcessorCount 12. Without this file, the game only use 4 cores (as it says in the render.drawscreeninfo command), and the performance is terrible. With this, the game runs perfectly fine, around 100-140 fps in operations, 1080p ultra, which is perfectly fine, however, according to task manager, the game uses 50% cpu (which is literally all the 12 cores it gets), and using only ~70% gpu. I cannot give any more cores to the game using the user.cfg, if I do so, the game instantly crash on start.

The problem is sometimes, it starts to have some major input lags, like 2sec mouse lag for like 10 sec, and it become fine for a few minutes again.
Thermals are fine on both the gpu and the cpu, it was fine on both the old system and the new.
Since the change it's not really a problem for me (except for that occasional input lag), but my friend still has this problem. He's using a 6th gen i5, and he's facing the same issue I did with my old cpu: 100% cpu usage and terrible fps (around 30-50).

I know that Battlefield and frostbite engine is really cpu bound, but using 100% of 12 cores on ultra instead of the gpu is really weird.
I really don't think that a 3900x should bottleneck a 2070 on 1080p ultra. On 1440p it's on par, both of them is basically using 100% (50% total cpu since bf1 cant use more than 12 threads).

Is this behavior normal? Is that real that a 4790k running on 4ghz can't run battlefield 1 above 60 fps? Is that normal, that the game is fully utilizing all 12 cores it gets? It seems really odd to me.

Comments

• Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well I returned to BF1 years later and to my surprise I'm getting less FPS than BFV. 
    Back in the day I had a 1060 gtx 6gb, so my bottleneck was the GPU, but still I'd get around 75-100 fps depending on the map and the flag(averaging around 85) on ultra settings 1080p.
    Now I got a 2060 and I OC'D my cpu a little further and I can't consistently get 144 fps on ultra. I'm getting drops to 100 range and rarely hitting the cap.  I'd say I average around 120.
    I'm getting the feeling that my cpu isn't utilized fully. Because I'm not hearing alot of fan noise like I used to with BFV. 
    But despite all that, the game feels thousand times smoother than BFV which had choppy frames and some stutter.
    I guess some of it can be attributed to the fact that I used DX12 on BFV and I'm using DX11 on BF1.

No user.cfg settings here.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Imo the 4790k is good enough to get the job done,  I dont think I've ever seen mine at 100% whilst gaming and that's paired with a 2080ti.

I guess it depends what processes you have open alongside battlefield that raises the cpu usage.

I find chrome is quite hungry for cpu time when gaming
  • 6Geri6
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Imo the 4790k is good enough to get the job done,  I dont think I've ever seen mine at 100% whilst gaming and that's paired with a 2080ti.

I guess it depends what processes you have open alongside battlefield that raises the cpu usage.

I find chrome is quite hungry for cpu time when gaming
    This is also some really weird thing about this issue.
    Some people just don't have any issue with cpu usage. I have seen somebody saying on some forum that they are having 120fps in bf5 with a 4790k in 64 player multiplayer.
    That is definitely overclocked, and I didn't overclocked, but I cannot believe that there is such a huge performance improvement between stock vs oc.
    Bf5 with the 4790k was similar, around 40-50 fps on ultra without rtx, but with rtx on, it was literally unplayable with around 15-25 fps. And thats with as minimum background processes as possible. Since I changed to 3900x, I have 80fps on average with rtx set to high, everything else on ultra. Also, because rtx is really heavy on the gpu, I don't get 100% cpu utilization (on the cores it uses) with rtx on.

There are a lot of topics talking about 100% cpu usage. And there are a lot more people who just doesn't have this issue (like you) and I cannot find a reason why this is happening, what causes this issue for some.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    That's even stranger,  Are you playing at 1080p?

On my 4790k/2080ti I put everything on ultra ,  DX12 with DXR raytracing and DLSS enabled,  At 4k and idk what my fps is but its smooth enough with the occasional dips to play comfortably.

I found that dips were more frequent at 1080p due to the gpu rendering more frames than the cpu can process.

Increasing resolution ( or resolution scale in the game options ) reduced the dips to almost none.
  • ClazZie
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If using Dx11 try renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2 or 3.
    At 2 or 3 my OC'ed Ryzen 2600x never get above 70% CPU use and same about my vega 64
    Running medium gfx capped at 121 fps - and never drops below 121
  • ClazZie
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Btw dont use Discord integration...it kills the game
  • Titan_Awaken
    1286 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Seconded.

This game literally chews up my 9900K to the point where it reached a record 89°C on a 360mm liquid cooled radiator (no there isn’t dust before anyone asks). Performance wise, the game runs smoother than butter but it really just hammers the CPU especially.

For comparison Red Dead 2, which is insanely demanding, sees my CPU basically idling at 45°C-57°C.

Haven’t paid much attention to the % usage but I’ll check the next time I hop on.
  • 6Geri6
    That's even stranger,  Are you playing at 1080p?

On my 4790k/2080ti I put everything on ultra ,  DX12 with DXR raytracing and DLSS enabled,  At 4k and idk what my fps is but its smooth enough with the occasional dips to play comfortably.

I found that dips were more frequent at 1080p due to the gpu rendering more frames than the cpu can process.

Increasing resolution ( or resolution scale in the game options ) reduced the dips to almost none.

I do play on 1080p, but I look forward to change to 1440p in the future. Because I only have a 1080p display I tried these tests with both in-game resolution scale and nvidia DSR, results are the same.

I remember playing around with the resolution scale on the 4790k config, and it didn't affect anything, same with graphic settings (low/ultra). I could set resolution scale to 200% (4k) and 25% (480x270) , and there was no difference at all. This is applied to both bf1 and bf5, both dxr turned off and on. It basically only changed how much of my gpu was being utilized from around 20% on 25% res scale to almost 100% on 200%.

With the current config, there's no fps difference between 1440p and 1080p (in bf1). There are 1,7x more pixels in 1440p, and there is no performance difference at all.

Here I made a small table showing the average fps on both config on all of the resolutions:

3900x
    Bf1Bf5Bf5 RTX
    25% res120120100
    1080p12012080
    1440p120110-
    4k60-7060-

Bf1Bf5Bf5 RTX
    25% res40-6035-6015-25
    1080p40-6035-6015-25
    1440p40-60--
    4k40-6035-6015-25

As you can see, this is a pretty major cpu bottleneck on the 4790k system. It ran 4ghz on all 4 cores/8 threads, and it's termal was fine, around 70 °C, gpu's termals are around the same, so it's not thermal related problem.

ClazZie said:
    If using Dx11 try renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2 or 3.
    At 2 or 3 my OC'ed Ryzen 2600x never get above 70% CPU use and same about my vega 64
    Running medium gfx capped at 121 fps - and never drops below 121
    I've already tried that with no luck sadly. And yes, I don't have low input lag mode enabled in the nvidia control panel.
    I also don't use discord. Turning off origin in-game overlay didn't helped either.

Seconded.

This game literally chews up my 9900K to the point where it reached a record 89°C on a 360mm liquid cooled radiator (no there isn’t dust before anyone asks). Performance wise, the game runs smoother than butter but it really just hammers the CPU especially.

For comparison Red Dead 2, which is insanely demanding, sees my CPU basically idling at 45°C-57°C.

Haven’t paid much attention to the % usage but I’ll check the next time I hop on.
    89 °C with watercooling, thats crazy!
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i have a 3770k and averaging over 100fps with 64players. don't notice any slow downs at all.