Serious question about AA vs Planes

RipGroove99
176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
How are planes supposed to take out AA if the AA can hit them way before their bomb reticle aligns or their machine gun bullets converge?

Surely the convergence point of the planes weapons should be somewhat similar to the range of the AA guns to give both parties a fighting chance?

As it is currently the plane has dive on the AA and has no choice but to take hits while waiting for the reticles to align, all it takes is like 3 hits and the plane is toast, the AA has all the time in the world to make those 3 hits while the plane can't do anything at all.

Comments

• olavafar
    2241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You need to adapt your tactics. At the moment AA > plane but plane still has the advantage to decide when to engage (or not at all). This is like when you are medic with an SMG and across an open area there is a recon with a bolt action rifle (or SLR). You cannot go head on into that duel and expect it to be an equal fight.
  • ElliotLH
    9200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ^ As above I've been picking my engagements where possible or waiting until they're distracted by shooting at other planes or distant infantry. Most AA users open up too soon so normally you get a bit of warning if someone is using one.

I also mostly use rockets on fighters nowadays too, as that gives you a bit more range than the bombs.
  • Trokey66
    8961 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ask some of the other 31 players on your team to do it?
  • Tullzter
    1257 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar said:
    You need to adapt your tactics. At the moment AA > plane but plane still has the advantage to decide when to engage (or not at all). This is like when you are medic with an SMG and across an open area there is a recon with a bolt action rifle (or SLR). You cannot go head on into that duel and expect it to be an equal fight.
    I would agree and mind you, i don't play with planes as much, but i did take a gander in a JU88 on Arras last time and needless to say i was almost immediately "Arrassed" by an AA as soon as i took the skies and was taken down before i could even turn and go the other way..I almost certainly would have been able to evade the AA had i known that it was manned before hand but i didn't and the takedown was brutal and so so fast..it does seem to me that the AAs were buffed alot but it does seem to be a recurrent request by the community so i don't mind it 
  • NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:
    Ask some of the other 31 players on your team to do it?
    How?
    There is no chat on console and before you can mark the AA, you are already down ...

And even if you are able to mark the AA, nobody will destroy it .. if it is in the enemy spawn and out of boundaries.
  • Trokey66
    8961 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)
    How?
    There is no chat on console and before you can mark the AA, you are already down ...

And even if you are able to mark the AA, nobody will destroy it .. if it is in the enemy spawn and out of boundaries.

I thought you had loads of 'Platoon mates'? Ask them.
  • NLBartmaN
    Trokey66 said:
    (Quote)
    How?

I thought you had loads of 'Platoon mates'? Ask them.
    I have and we are in a voiceparty, so I can ask them.

But most players don't have that luxury.

And even if someone else would have that luxury, how are the players you ask it, going to take out AA (in cover) in the enemy spawn out of their boundaries ... ?
  • Trokey66
    If they can't see it, it can't see them and will limit the 'sky' it can cover.

Not the games fault some players are 'Billy Nomates'.
  • almothana11
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    just use rockets. you don't have to worry about bomb reticles aligning or MG convergence.
    you're going to struggle if you don't have rockets in 6.6

1- Shoot rocket
    2- Resupply rocket
    3- Repeat

it's a pretty boring and stupid play-style but eh what can you do.

(not my vid)

• -aarp-19Crib
    751 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why should aircraft be allowed to farm infantry in the first place? It’s too simple. You cross hill “A” for four seconds, drop bombs on first objective for free kills. I get that “pilots” are customers too, and they need to feel empowered to be above the fray on the ground, but it is just a game with easily found waypoints. 
    FYI, in WW2 ship mounted AA flak guns (kinda like what BFV puts on the ground) were effective to 8 miles, discouraging attacks beyond that. Deadliest range being inside of four. BFV pilots are taking advantage of game mechanics to the disadvantage of players on the ground. 
  • NLBartmaN
    Trokey66 said:
    If they can't see it, it can't see them and will limit the 'sky' it can cover.

Not the games fault some players are 'Billy Nomates'.
    A plane is in the air ... everything that can counter AA without being shot down is on the ground.

Put a low mountain (and some distance) in between and the AA can still hit the plane close to everywhere, but you can't hit the AA from the ground ...
  • RipGroove99
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lots of talk about how it should be done yet you try putting that in practice with the latest patch. I want to see some videos of planes taking down AA.
  • Trokey66
    (Quote)
    A plane is in the air ... everything that can counter AA without being shot down is on the ground.

Put a low mountain (and some distance) in between and the AA can still hit the plane close to everywhere, but you can't hit the AA from the ground ...

Re read this and identify the flaw in your own argument.

Here's a clue..... Trigonometry!
  • NLBartmaN
    Trokey66 said:
    (Quote)

Re read this and identify the flaw in your own argument.

Here's a clue..... Trigonometry!
    There is no flaw: there are SAA guns on maps that you can only destroy with a plane (or V1), but that can destroy planes on at least half that map.

Same for things like the MAA or FF: it is easy to fire from cover and/or out of boundaries.

The AA range should be lowered, with the current damage potential.
  • RipGroove99
    I actually tried for ages earlier to get an angle on a stationary AA with my sniper rifle but simply couldn't.
  • Man_ILoveFishing
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Only way to do it is to play smart. Aand use rockets. Better yet, don't engage planes, don't help objectives and farm what you can, thats what pilots are forced to do. Now it's great time to be shelfish.

Can't wait to see forums when pilots have adapted and people will ask more for plane nerfs or AA buff.
  • VOLBANKER
    1605 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Only way to do it is to play smart. Aand use rockets. Better yet, don't engage planes, don't help objectives and farm what you can, thats what pilots are forced to do. Now it's great time to be shelfish.

Can't wait to see forums when pilots have adapted and people will ask more for plane nerfs or AA buff.
    So pilots should just keep on playing the way they always have: Selfish & farming.
  • Hawxxeye
    7087 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 21
    How about "Planes are not supposed to take out the AA in a head-on clash" Otherwise the AA cannot do its purpose. A bomber should only take out the AA head on with mutually assured destruction.
    In a defense of planes though, the AA should a less of a danger for planes that are not attacking/trespassing the areas that the AA is supposed to defend. I am speaking about things like the MAA from one spawn on Arras covering almost the entire map.
    Everything must be able to properly perform its role, that includes tanks, planes, AA, medics, recons etc.
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on