The Chat filter is out of control

Comments

• xxxThug1xxx
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 24
    I still cant get over the fact that the chat filter doesnt let me type into the chat because of my name in the game and ive used it since BF1942. Ever since the last patch i cant use chat. Oh and EAHelp doesnt any question on that site either.

• Trokey66
    8981 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 24
    Nevermind, it appears to have changed.
  • xxxThug1xxx
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    nope i still cant type in chat unless i change my name so its still broke.

• Foxassassin
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    nope i still cant type in chat unless i change my name so its still broke.

Waaaait. Wait wait wait.

Is that what's happening?
    -
    I came back after a month/two and noticed I couldn't type in chat at all. I'd type my message and hit enter....then nothing.

Because of my name!?
  • OskooI_007
    1273 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, your name has the swear word for butts in it.
  • ElliotLH
    9351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Waaaait. Wait wait wait.
    Is that what's happening?-I came back after a month/two and noticed I couldn't type in chat at all. I'd type my message and hit enter....then nothing.
    Because of my name!?

Well it does have a naughty word in it twice, if it's the same as here 😉

Joking aside it does seem to be a silly issue.
  • Foxassassin
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)
    Waaaait. Wait wait wait.
    Is that what's happening?-I came back after a month/two and noticed I couldn't type in chat at all. I'd type my message and hit enter....then nothing.
    Because of my name!?

I wouldn't say "silly" is the right word. We have limited communication in-game. Squad voice chat and text.
    Voice chat frequently breaks on it's own, and for specific people now text is out.
    -
    I am at a complete loss. The name I took, and have used since the early 2000's because of Diablo 2, is now hindering me because overzealous filters for people that can't deal with certain words in a rational way? (borderlands 2's fanatic Shift filter did the same)
    -
    I was trying to come back to the game. I was trying to enjoy it again.
    But a complete cut of information because of a -filter- is insane. What ever happened to the toggle we were promised after the Beta backlash? When did options stop being options?
    Let people that want it turn it off. Unbelievably simple....
  • ElliotLH
    9351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I wouldn't say "silly" is the right word. We have limited communication in-game. Squad voice chat and text.Voice chat frequently breaks on it's own, and for specific people now text is out.-I am at a complete loss. The name I took, and have used since the early 2000's because of Diablo 2, is now hindering me because overzealous filters for people that can't deal with certain words in a rational way? (borderlands 2's fanatic Shift filter did the same)-I was trying to come back to the game. I was trying to enjoy it again..But a complete cut of information because of a -filter- is insane. What ever happened to the toggle we were promised after the Beta backlash? When did options stop being options?Let people that want it turn it off. Unbelievably simple....

I was meaning that the fact we have this issue is silly, rather than people rightly complaining about it.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)
    Waaaait. Wait wait wait.
    Because of my name!?

What ever happened to the toggle we were promised after the Beta backlash? When did options stop being options?
    The tech is limited and Dice can't do such simple thing. They'd rather mess with already long list of filtered words and break even more things instead of adding an option people asked long ago.
  • EA_Tom
    124 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    Hey folks,

Feel free to DM any concerns to me an I'll pass them along for investigation. Just a short blurb of what you notice is censored, and the context of you using the word.
  • Foxassassin
    edited May 26
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)
    Waaaait. Wait wait wait.
    Because of my name!?

What ever happened to the toggle we were promised after the Beta backlash? When did options stop being options?
    The tech is limited and Dice can't do such simple thing. They'd rather mess with already long list of filtered words and break even more things instead of adding an option people asked long ago.

I knew it! This wasn't just something I thought happened.
    -

It was supposed to be in the game, not just "We would like this"

• Magikf1ngers
    152 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind profanity / swear words.  I draw the line at hate speech, that's where the start and end of filtering should be.  They should also do a better job of catching people intentionally trying to get around the chat filter.  That's childish, immature, and an exercise in futility.  In my eyes, it just makes people look childish and asinine.  Those are the people that should simply be banned from the game.  Period.

However - the biggest problem is that it seems like the gaming community has no regard for decency when it comes to things like hate speech.  There was a guy in the game earlier today that was talking up the leader of the German forces in WWII and how good of a man he was, etc. etc, and being very antisemitic. 

It's all well and good to say, "turn off the chat" - and I usually do.  My frustration is that then, you don't see squad chats and people are too reluctant to use voice comm, so it takes squad communications away. 
  • Elephante33
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    honestly make the Filter toggable like literally every other game that cares about its chat, if you are too much of a child to not hit the Filter button if you are offended by such language you should  probably not be playing an online game. Literally every other BF didnt bother with filters, its just a breeding ground for point discussion like this thread and frustration as normal words get censored because ''someone might get offended''. 

Its an online community, for an M rated game, its not Club Penguin

and if thats to hard to handle, hit H like in every other BF and get on with your life
  • xxxThug1xxx
    @Foxassassin yes since my gamelan has Thug in it it won't let me use chat
  • stallzer
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I tried to abbreviate artillery with arty and that for some odd reason was censored, I'll never figure out why they rate a game mature and then censor is so nothing can be typed.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar said:
    A problem with the curent state is that when you say actually nice things they get turned into *** and the receiver will assume you said something rude.
    This is not a good way to filter as it might introduce hostility that was not there from the beginning.

Example:
    Someone write "Hello mate!"
    Result is "Hello ****!"
    Receiver might assume "Hello idiot!" (or something worse that would be censored here).
    This happens when you do not really put any logic behind the filter and just remove any slight possibility for words or phrases to sound offensive. Instead you will end up with ********** in chat all the time.
    "I put a box of ammo down at C."

"I **** box of ammo down at C."

Because "put a"   if you take out the white space, is a slur in Spanish.
    I understand the logic, but still, this is excessive.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar said:
    A problem with the curent state is that when you say actually nice things they get turned into *** and the receiver will assume you said something rude.
    This is not a good way to filter as it might introduce hostility that was not there from the beginning.

Example:
    Someone write "Hello mate!"
    Result is "Hello ****!"
    Receiver might assume "Hello idiot!" (or something worse that would be censored here).
    This happens when you do not really put any logic behind the filter and just remove any slight possibility for words or phrases to sound offensive. Instead you will end up with ********** in chat all the time.
    "I put a box of ammo down at C."

"I **** box of ammo down at C."

Because "put a"   if you take out the white space, is a slur in Spanish.
    I understand the logic, but still, this is excessive.
    There is not much of a logic here because the person who's in charge of this filter does not put a lot of thinking into their job. It's been done for sake of being done.

And all these current shenanigans remind me of another word filter in another game series called Dark Souls where similar filter is applied to character's names and how those appear online.
    But because once again people didn't really care how it should work loads of dumb stuff happens there. I hope you know that DS series is all about medieval fantasy setting but you can't have word "knight" in your character's name. Well you can but it will be filtered and "Knight Homer" will appear as "K***ht **mer" online.

Funny, isn't it? And now we have the exact same story in this game.
  • lucidity1945
    167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯