The engine for BFV (frostbite) needs done away with it does more harm than good.

13»

Comments

• ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    With EA being their overlords this game will get an engine overhaul maybe 10 years from now.  It'll go the way of the cod engine with updates being tacked on that hamper performance. 

EA are the ones who recognize the value of having their own proprietary game engine. It would be bad for finances if the engine falls behind the competition, and finances are EA's primary focus. So I'm not sure I agree with you

"EA recognizes" Oh you mean their greed? Their engine is garbage and it can't even be utilized extensively for Battlefield when that's what it should work best with and still always has a ton of problems apparently, and no other game genre can really use it without causing it a ton of problems aka Bioware making Andromeda.

Yea, that's why my first post on the subject was the need for a new generation of frostbite to come in with the new console generation...

From the ground up just like 343 is doing with SlipSpace.
  • TropicPoison
    2505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    With EA being their overlords this game will get an engine overhaul maybe 10 years from now.  It'll go the way of the cod engine with updates being tacked on that hamper performance. 

EA are the ones who recognize the value of having their own proprietary game engine. It would be bad for finances if the engine falls behind the competition, and finances are EA's primary focus. So I'm not sure I agree with you

"EA recognizes" Oh you mean their greed? Their engine is garbage and it can't even be utilized extensively for Battlefield when that's what it should work best with and still always has a ton of problems apparently, and no other game genre can really use it without causing it a ton of problems aka Bioware making Andromeda.

Yea, that's why my first post on the subject was the need for a new generation of frostbite to come in with the new console generation...

From the ground up just like 343 is doing with SlipSpace.
    I don't see them doing that honestly if they've already started on BF6, and 343 has made two terrible halo games 4 and 5 so I don't have much hope for infinite no matter what they use.
  • Hawxxeye
    7744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 19
    Remember the old issues BF4 about the tickrate being built into the engine etc?
    I believe Frostbite needs the equivalent of throwing away the useless and broken stuff on a messy room and then cleaning up, rearranging the furniture and adding relevant and useful new items. Because if you only try to add even more stuff in a messy and dirty room then you are just making it worse and harder to move about or finding things in there.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2634 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF6/Bad Company 3 wont have a new engine. Since it had 9 months of dev work before BF5 was released.  Most likely same old bugs will carry over to next gen.
  • ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    BF6/Bad Company 3 wont have a new engine. Since it had 9 months of dev work before BF5 was released.  Most likely same old bugs will carry over to next gen.

Engine work is done by a different team. If a new generation of frostbite hasn't been in the works in time to hit the next console generation launch, then EA's CIO's job should be in jeopardy.

To be fair, there's a solid chance the new engine would debut with the second wave of games of the next console gen. I just hope it's sooner than that.
  • spartanx169x
    876 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its my understanding we are going to get some info for the new game in the next week or two. 
  • spartanx169x
    876 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have now spent several hours watching videos of game engines on Youtube. You can build a basic map in a day in Unreal Engine 4 with zero experience. I think in two weeks (80 hours) you could have an incredible map to play on. If they are spending more time than that to make a map and coming up with the crap that is in BFV they need to change game engines. 
  • filthmcnasty
    851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Considering I do not develope games and am not a software engineer, same as probably everyone here, I don't feel I am qualified to comment on whether a new engine is needed or not. Would you tell you surgeon what tools to use for your operation? I know that DICE created Frostbite for Battlefield back in 2007-2008 for Battlefield: Bad Company, and it's been upgraded since, that's a fact. Everything else is speculation unless a developer with hands on experience working with Frostbite for Battlefield games comments.
  • filthmcnasty
    851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Yeah no problem.

If i remember right,  BF1942 and BF2 and 2142 used the Refractor engine
    BC1 and BC2 were the first to use Frostbite 1.0
    BF3 and BF4 were Frostbite 2.0 and 2.5 respectively ( IIRC ) 
    Then of course BF1 using 3.0 and BFV pushing the build to 3.5

I might not be accurate here so take it with a pinch of salt.

BC2 used 1.5, I believe BF 1943 did as well, but BC2 positively did.
  • OP_Glitchmobile
    972 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Considering I do not develope games and am not a software engineer, same as probably everyone here, I don't feel I am qualified to comment on whether a new engine is needed or not. Would you tell you surgeon what tools to use for your operation? I know that DICE created Frostbite for Battlefield back in 2007-2008 for Battlefield: Bad Company, and it's been upgraded since, that's a fact. Everything else is speculation unless a developer with hands on experience working with Frostbite for Battlefield games comments.

If the surgeon(dice) tried to use a damned teaspoon and a stick for a open heart surgery...i'd be telling him to use something else...yes?
  • spartanx169x

Youtube has plenty of videos that can teach you a game engine with no prior experience needed. With a proper engine its not as hard as you think. Halo has Forge( a map builder/game builder) IN THE GAME and players make some amazing maps. Another lesson DICE and EA have yet to learn.
  • The_BERG_366
    2780 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It has done nothing good for the most part except bring back old problems REPEATEDLY, and they're hell bent on continuing to use it no matter how terrible it is at causing problems. Bioware had an array of issues choosing to use it and it didn't do them any favors.

So if BF6 is being developed using the same engine expect all current problems that have came back, and newer ones to also be in it on next gen consoles.

Idk if it's their ego wanting to use their own terrible engine or what but it needs took out to the pasture.
    its a key factor for the amazing graphics that the franchise is now known for. Its apparently an absolute pain to work with but that doesnt mean its useless and that it makes no sense to be using it. I mean BF isn't the only game that uses Frostbite either. Theres also the hugely successful FIFA titles for example.