New Laptop

SirBobdk
5224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
My son is looking at a laptop.
He has a good stationary PC, but also want a laptop.
  • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max Q
  • 8 GB RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
He is playing 
League of legens, Overwatch, CS GO
I know nothing about laptops, so is this one good enough for those games.

Comments

• Hawxxeye
    7479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    A good way to know that is to look into the "recommended specs" for these games.
    All 3 of these games have pretty modest requirements that this laptop should have no issues with.
    You are lucky your son is not looking for a laptop for BFV, I shiver at the cost of a laptop that can run BFV well.
  • SirBobdk
    5224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    A good way to know that is to look into the "recommended specs" for these games..All 3 of these games have pretty modest requirements that this laptop should have no issues with..You are lucky your son is not looking for a laptop for BFV, I shiver at the cost of a laptop that can run BFV well.

Ty m8
    I did look at the spec but was not sure.
    Yes a good laptop kost around 2000-2500 EUR in denmark as far as I can see. This one only cost 750 EUR.
  • Hawxxeye
    7479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk said:
    A good way to know that is to look into the "recommended specs" for these games..All 3 of these games have pretty modest requirements that this laptop should have no issues with..You are lucky your son is not looking for a laptop for BFV, I shiver at the cost of a laptop that can run BFV well.

Ty m8
    I did look at the spec but was not sure.
    Yes a good laptop kost around 2000-2500 EUR in denmark as far as I can see. This one only cost 750 EUR.
    In Greece there is that alienware selling for over 4000 euro. I am trying to imagine what kind of player would put that much money for a laptop
  • BeastofBourbon84
    693 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 12
    Should be totally fine for those games.

Bf games are a different beast however I was able to play the first 5 month on my trusty old notebook and still got somewhat stable 60fps.

i7 4700hq
    16gb ram
    Radeon hd8970m 4gb vram.

All on low but who cares 8)
    Just saying notebooks aren't as bad as some people think.
  • Frindly-Fire-4
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    In Greece there is that alienware selling for over 4000 euro. I am trying to imagine what kind of player would put that much money for a laptop

I was one of those alineware laptop players where i was always out of country since 2000 till 2010
  • Hawxxeye
    (Quote)

I was one of those alineware laptop players where i was always out of country since 2000 till 2010
    Were those laptops overheating like ovens like I expect them to do?
  • spychodelics
    391 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 12
    I would take a look at the new AMD Renoir 4700u / 4800h laptop series.

Something like this would be the first thing i would start up compairing to other notebooks. 

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Lenovo-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/88GMY501444

• Frindly-Fire-4
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Were those laptops overheating like ovens like I expect them to do?

Thy used to be you need to be in a cool room or have extra fans under them but now things changed
  • 123loreni
    73 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Running it on Ryzen 5, 8GB ram and Radeon Vega 8.

CS GO works ok 60fps on 720p resolution but BF5 I get like 30fps on low and 1024x768. The geforce 1650 should be much faster though.

Can I borrow this topic for one question? For desktop PC what would you choose Ryzen9 or Intel Core 9? If you had to choose between these two...

• Hawxxeye
    I would go with Ryzen for cost efficiency. You can then use the money saved to improve another part of the PC
  • spychodelics
    391 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 12
    123loreni said:
    Running it on Ryzen 5, 8GB ram and Radeon Vega 8.

CS GO works ok 60fps on 720p resolution but BF5 I get like 30fps on low and 1024x768. The geforce 1650 should be much faster though.

Can I borrow this topic for one question? For desktop PC what would you choose Ryzen9 or Intel Core 9? If you had to choose between these two...

AMD will present the new Ryzen generation (zen3) in 4th quarter of the year. I would wait that time and then look at the benchmarks. 
    Right now Ryzen is more cost and power efficent as Intel. But lacks some FPS in 1080p. 
    The higher the Resolution is you are using the less the CPU matters. 
    Ryzen 9 and i9 are almost similar in 4k, and have a difference about 5% in 1440p while in 1080p with 8-15% Intel is always the better choice for performance. 

https://www.techspot.com/review/1877-core-i9-9900k-vs-ryzen-9-3900x/#:~:text=Overall%20the%20Core%20i9%2D9900K,than%20the%209900K%20when%20gaming.

• olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Main issue with gaming laptops is cooling mostly.
  • Hawxxeye
    olavafar said:
    And upgrading.
    You are more or less stuck with what you originally buy.
  • Nutcrusherr
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar wrote: »

Yes it was in 2010. Rly not that bad anymore, you just need to do a bit of research and find a good laptop. I had an msi with an i7 6700hq and a 970m. Never went above 70c with it. I gave it to my friend so he can play bf with me and its still as cool as it was on day 1.
  • ragnarok013
    3776 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    (Quote)

Frindly-Fire-4 Me too, when I traveled a lot for work I had an Alienware laptop that I bought back during BF4. It still plays most modern games even Battlefield games. They're nice but pricey...and heavy!

• Frindly-Fire-4
    @ragnarok013 my last alineware had 2 sli 280 nvidia that was in 2010 still working now but ya you need always to upgrade to the next new laptop in three years or so , if you want to keep playing new games
  • Moorlander
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I play on PS4 now but did a bit of research into laptop graphics cards a while ago. You may find this link useful

BFV is there if you scroll across. Then just dow the various graphics cards. Laptop graphics cards don't tend to be as good as the desktop PC one's with the same name.

• EA_Tom
    124 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    SirBobdk said:
    • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
    He is playing 
    Shout out to your son as being lucky to have you as a dad. It's kind to give him a laptop if he's already got a good PC :-)

With that said, those specs are fine, though he won't be able to run everything on max settings.

Lastly, I think this topic fits very well in the off-topic board, so I'm moving it there.
  • SirBobdk
    edited June 12
    EA_Tom said:
    SirBobdk said:
    • Intel® Core™ i5-9300H
    He is playing 
    Shout out to your son as being lucky to have you as a dad. It's kind to give him a laptop if he's already got a good PC :-)

With that said, those specs are fine, though he won't be able to run everything on max settings.

Thanks. Appreciate it
    My son became very sick 1,5 year ago and lives in a sheltered residence with health care providers.
    They are going on a 1 week vacation and I want him to be able to play with the others, why I'm buying him a laptop.
    I bought a monster PC for him last year, so this is a travel PC. I dont want him to waste opportunities to play in his situation
  • spychodelics
    edited June 12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkvZc-8ZU8

Take a look on this numbers!

Paired with a good mobile GPU could be enough!