Alternate universe BFV release

BaronVonGoon
7064 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited June 2020
How different would your *first impressions* have been had instead of BFV releasing with:

Aerodrome
Arras
Devastation
Fjell 652
Hamada
Narvik
Rotterdam
Twisted Steel
Panzerstorm

...it instead released with:

El Marj Encampment
Operation Underground
Pacific Storm
Iwo Jima
Provence
Solomon Islands
Wake Island
Al Sundan
Marita
Mercury

And then as live service the first dlc maps we got were Rotterdam, Devestation, and Arras.

Comments

• trip1ex
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It would have been better.  MIght have bought the game earlier than I did.  

But I feel like even the 2nd wave of maps weren't enough to keep me playing the game.   The visuals/clutter bug too much.   There's no game in the Conquest mode.  It's just rotate around the map.  They don't have skill balance.  I can't stand the vehicle animations.   they got rid of fun stuff like picking up of kits.  The tanks are stationary cannons.  The upgrade trees bug.   The assignments take away the last of whatever "game" the game had.  

I just get bored way quicker.  But i played all the games so maybe I'm just over the franchise.  I'm not sure I have fun these days unless I feel the matches are fairly even and each team is trying  to push each other back and contain each other.

If it's just randomly creep around and farm, that's boring.  If too many are sitting back and not taking flags when we need them, that's boring.  If the team insists on speeding off to the next flag immediately after capping a flag, that's boring.  

The individual stuff just doesn't float my boat these days.  
  • cashm0n3y08
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well I do agree the maps that came out with the live service were better and "more WW2" than the OG maps, but I don't think the maps are what turned people off at the start. Audio was bad, net code was a disaster, games were crashing, and all around it just didn't play well. We've had so many bugs at this point I can't even remember the ones we had at launch. The majority of the people that stuck with this game were the seasoned BF veterans like myself who just can't find another substitute for a large sandbox combined arms FPS like BF, and aside from replacing all the guns with ketchup bottles, we'll always play BF. 
  • Noodlesocks
    3741 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The 'untold stories of WW2' Shtick they had going on did not do the game any favours. First impression are everything and that reveal trailer had everyone already going in to the game with little enthusiasm. The game needed those well known, recognisable battles that people want to play. That being said, the game was a complete mess for the first 6-10 months. A better WW2 atmosphere would certainly have helped the game but remembering the frustrations we had with the technical side of the game, I'm not sure how much better the reception for the game would have been.
  • Hawxxeye
    7962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2020
    The 'untold stories of WW2' Shtick they had going on did not do the game any favours. First impression are everything and that reveal trailer had everyone already going in to the game with little enthusiasm. The game needed those well known, recognisable battles that people want to play. That being said, the game was a complete mess for the first 6-10 months. A better WW2 atmosphere would certainly have helped the game but remembering the frustrations we had with the technical side of the game, I'm not sure how much better the reception for the game would have been.

Yeah, the untold stories should had been the theme of a chapter instead of the theme of the game.
  • Matty101yttam
    1466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Would have made zero difference to me, i play all maps, not a fan of fjell but can't get everything your own way.

This is really a "whats your favourite maps" post but rephrased, so there will never be a correct order since everyones map preferences are different.

imo releasing with more maps is the answer, as i've constantly said before there's 3 sorts of people that play bf now,
    -vehicle only players: prefer vehicle heavy maps, panzerstorm, golmud, firestorm etc.
    -infantry only: metro,marita, underground, lockers
    -those that prefer an even blend of the 2(but also don't mind playing the others occasionally): caspian,arras,mercury

Releasing with 18 would have been much better, giving each group a full 6 map server rotation would mean they feel like they get the version of the game they are after. When you release with so few it feels like a disappointment because the maps you prefer are great but then your forced to play the ones you dislike and are left thinking "if only they were all like the few maps i prefer". This feeling is then constantly repeated for each set of new maps added until FINALLY at the end of the games life you have enough maps to actually get the server rotation your after.

• Blazcowitz43
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For me the idea of showing the lesser known battles of WW2 was not in itself a bad idea, but it was a mistake to have those be the only maps the game had at launch. They should have had more maps with a good blend of the earlier, lesser known battles and some more familiar.

Had it been left up to me, I would have the maps set during the Battle of France actually have the French fighting the Germans rather than the British, since that would actually be an 'untold story' and give players a chance to see the French didn't just roll over like people often say. So Twisted Steel and Panzerstorm would have been okay, but I would have replaced Arras with something else like  the Battle of Stonne which changed hands 17 times over three days before it was finally captured by the Germans. With that in mind I would probably have replaced Rotterdam and Devastation with other battles in France, like the Siege of Lille which was one last stands fought by the French army and bought time for the evacuation of Dunkirk. Again, this would be a great untold story, especially for Operations to help dispel the myth of French cowardice.

Just imagine this for the vehicle loadouts to better suit the earlier stage of the war:

France:

The German tank load outs would remain much the same but I would replace the Tiger 1 with the early heavy tank the
    Neubaufahrzeug https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neubaufahrzeug

All in all it basically boils down to if they had been given more time they could have made something that would have really blown people away, showing off new and lesser known battles with the classics we all know and love.

• 123loreni
    304 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes for sure! Maps that have life in them are what makes it special.

When I saw there is BFV first thing I wanted ot know is where is the Pacific. 

How much out of 10 did it get anyway??
  • CT1924
    1354 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How different would your *first impressions* have been had instead of BFV releasing with:

Aerodrome
    Arras
    Devastation
    Fjell 652
    Hamada
    Narvik
    Rotterdam
    Twisted Steel
    Panzerstorm

...it instead released with:

El Marj Encampment
    Operation Underground
    Pacific Storm
    Iwo Jima
    Provence
    Solomon Islands
    Wake Island
    Al Sundan
    Marita
    Mercury

And then as live service the first dlc maps we got were Rotterdam, Devestation, and Arras.

What about all of them? I actually love Rotterdam, Arras, and Devestation.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1937 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So much missed potential on the game... BFV will forever be a study in:
    "How to NOT manage a AAA live-service game"

• Hawxxeye
    7962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So much missed potential on the game... BFV will forever be a study in:
    "How to NOT manage a AAA live-service game"

It will be the videogame equivalent of The Last Jedi which is now used in lessons for how not to screenwrite a movie
  • bigiain
    401 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think the maps are the problem with the game. Yes, Hamada when it was Conquest Assault was painful, but that was on the players, not the map. I don't think there's many of the maps at all that can't be ruined by your team doing something crazy, usually lots of people taking up position between the spawn and the nearest flag or everyone going and hiding in buildings near one flag.

The problem early on was that the limited selection of maps on a fixed rotation was boring, when we were at the same stage in BF1 you could go and play Grand Operations or Frontlines if Conquest was getting dull, but Operations felt like an afterthought here and Squad Conquest gets old very quickly if you're getting hammered. Being stuck with the same team doing crazy stuff over and over again here didn't help the maps either.

I can't imagine any classic map from previous games being dropped into this game and somehow playing great because the map would fix all the problems with the game.