EA taking action against toxic players

Comments

• Hawxxeye
    7750 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    olavafar said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    FunTaiwan said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Does that mean that the plague that is "ez" or "easy" sayers will finally be wiped off the game?

Is this hyperbole or do you genuinely think people who type EZ should have action taken against their accounts to the extend of banning them from play? Pretty harsh don't you think? I've been called many things by toxic players on this game, but EZ after a loss just doesn't get under my skin. 
    I genuinely think that I should at least be able to chose to not see any chat from the people who try to get under others skin while still being able to see chat from those who at least try to say something useful/fun.
    When I am trying my best in a round to help my not so brilliant team , getting myself killed, the last thing I need to see is the others gloating on top of that.
    ... Perhaps that is a me-problem. Perhaps I need to just try to get more kills per death while ignoring the objective in those bad matches so I will not feel like my efforts are being mocked since I have not tried.

Are you like in that real life too? When people say things to you out of jest, you dwell on it for days? If you need to selectively censor things that you don't want to hear because you're afraid your feelings will be hurt, then I got bad news for you. It ain't like that in real life. I don't condone hate speech but you sound like you need to grow a pair, no offense but just being honest. If you're getting offended over two alphabets "ez", then you're gonna have real problem facing the outside world.
    People who jest in real life are prepared for the consequences if it is received wrong. So they do not act that way without damaging their reputation or worse.
    Also I tend to not associate with irreverent people irl
    That behavior in the chat is a result of a lack of consequences in an anonymous lobby.
    I strive to treat others like I expect them to treat me. Is it wrong to hold others to the same standards?
    I normally agree with you on this forum but the 'ez' I never find offensive. I'm also guilty of using it myself although only in the specific situation when I join a match pretty much only to se the 'Victory' banner. Indeed this is an 'ez' victory for me as I got it with zero contribution. It has nothing to do with mocking the opponents but of course if people want to be offended, there is no way stopping them.

It can actually be wrong to hold others to the same standards when it limits their behavior. Everyone has their own standards. Maybe I get offended if people tell me to spot when all I want to do is snipe from spawn and would never ask anyone to spot because it is so hurting to my feelings when others do it to me...(bad example, I know) I like to play the game with a free sense of humour but if everyone is going to be offended by this and that, it will be too limited in my opinion. There are a lot of worse things going on in the chat when people call each other names or write that they wish you get this or that disease, not to mention all references to mothers that somehow people seems very obsessed with. Personally I ignore those or maybe engage in the trolling if I'm in the mood but still it is not really serious to me (how could it, they do not even know who I am).

The game is just casual entertainment, not even amateur matches (because not even in amateur leagues people get to switch teams or just leave the match if things goes against them). If one finds a particular individual too offensive too often, it is easy to just block them and you will not see their crap any more.
    Usually those guys who really annoy me are not just saying ez but they also will accuse someone of cheating like 1 out of each 3 times someone kills them on the chat. So these guys are basically professional drivel-posters.
    Perhaps I am being averse at having to tab out to origin each time someone decides to being a tool in the chat.  (At least recently they finally fixed the in-game origin overlay to not take like 5 mines to load up)
    Perhaps I am being vindictive at people who are actively trying to get under others skin like that (not just saying ez but in general) and want to get back at them.
    For me probably the ideal solution would have been a feature like a personal word filter so I can chose what stuff I do not want to see in the chat as compared to some EA -made  artificial intelligence script deciding that for me. Different people draw different lines about what is proper to them or not.
    Thanks for the input as always though olav
  • VOLBANKER
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    Hawxxeye, I’m surprised you are this fragile when it comes to in-game chat. Personally I don’t think I can come up with even one example of something a random guy could say to me on chat that would get under my skin. It’s only in the luckily rare event that someone I have as an Origin friend starts misbehaving towards me that I get affected. But then the solution is right at hand (unfriend).
  • VOLBANKER
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    Ah yes, if someone consistently mocks me sarcastically etc. during a round, then I’m affected. But then I just switch server.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why even put "ez" in the chat? I would think your end of round stats will implicitly make that statement for you.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah let’s endorse doxing because there isn’t such a thing as free speech anymore, only approved groupthink. The second they started claiming racism is a one-way street they lost all credibility and yet here they still are trying to force their dogma into every aspect of life. I really hope the Supreme Court decides that ToS that are basically written to remove consumer rights are factually unconstitutional.
     This is the level of legal acumen I would expect from someone on a gaming forum. Man, why aren't you a lawyer!
  • Hawxxeye
    7750 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    VOLBANKER said:
    Hawxxeye, I’m surprised you are this fragile when it comes to in-game chat. Personally I don’t think I can come up with even one example of something a random guy could say to me on chat that would get under my skin. It’s only in the luckily rare event that someone I have as an Origin friend starts misbehaving towards me that I get affected. But then the solution is right at hand (unfriend).
    I can handle pretty much every dirty or lewd word out there without flinching.
    But I seem to have some weak spot against pure childish malice. I seemed to had expected that to go away in an adult game as players were supposed to grow out of it.
    I was relatively fine with stuff I do not like being in the chat, I even turned off the filter in past titles. Then came BFV with that ridiculous filter supposed to end chat misbehavior but in the end it only prevents someone from venting by swearing like a trooper but still allows  the malice to flow freely with the use of harmless words. People also still wish to people to die painful deaths by disease with no filtering, ironically
    Perhaps if I could vent that frustration by swearing up at those squeakers face I would not be saying those things now.
    Now how am I supposed to retort to these  guys? Should I tell them: "You are a popo head with a popo mouth"?
  • MarxistDictator
    5249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 22
    (Quote)
     This is the level of legal acumen I would expect from someone on a gaming forum. Man, why aren't you a lawyer!

There’s always Reddit if you care more about burying opinions that go against the groupthink as opposed to having to respond to them. You might end up reading some of those words if you don’t scroll quickly enough though, be warned.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

Perhaps I am being averse at having to tab out to origin each time someone decides to being a tool in the chat.  (At least recently they finally fixed the in-game origin overlay to not take like 5 mines to load up)
    Perhaps I am being vindictive at people who are actively trying to get under others skin like that (not just saying ez but in general) and want to get back at them.
    For me probably the ideal solution would have been a feature like a personal word filter so I can chose what stuff I do not want to see in the chat as compared to some EA -made  artificial intelligence script deciding that for me. Different people draw different lines about what is proper to them or not.
    Ah, they days when the ignore function worked.
  • Hawxxeye
    Hawxxeye said:

Ah, they days when the ignore function worked.
    I think it still works if you block them on origin but it takes so long for the overlay to load that the junkposter has already won a small victory by distracting from the round for a whole 5 min
  • GeneralXIV
    306 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    FunTaiwan said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    Does that mean that the plague that is "ez" or "easy" sayers will finally be wiped off the game?

Is this hyperbole or do you genuinely think people who type EZ should have action taken against their accounts to the extend of banning them from play? Pretty harsh don't you think? I've been called many things by toxic players on this game, but EZ after a loss just doesn't get under my skin. 
    I genuinely think that I should at least be able to chose to not see any chat from the people who try to get under others skin while still being able to see chat from those who at least try to say something useful/fun.
    When I am trying my best in a round to help my not so brilliant team , getting myself killed, the last thing I need to see is the others gloating on top of that.
    ... Perhaps that is a me-problem. Perhaps I need to just try to get more kills per death while ignoring the objective in those bad matches so I will not feel like my efforts are being mocked since I have not tried.

Are you like in that real life too? When people say things to you out of jest, you dwell on it for days? If you need to selectively censor things that you don't want to hear because you're afraid your feelings will be hurt, then I got bad news for you. It ain't like that in real life. I don't condone hate speech but you sound like you need to grow a pair, no offense but just being honest. If you're getting offended over two alphabets "ez", then you're gonna have real problem facing the outside world.
    People who jest in real life are prepared for the consequences if it is received wrong. So they do not act that way without damaging their reputation or worse.
    Also I tend to not associate with irreverent people irl
    That behavior in the chat is a result of a lack of consequences in an anonymous lobby.
    I strive to treat others like I expect them to treat me. Is it wrong to hold others to the same standards?

Sorry, I read back in the thread and this, especially "That behavior in the chat is a result of a lack of consequences in an anonymous lobby" reminded me of something I read about a few years ago.

Have you ever heard of Rhythm 0 by Marina Abramovic? It was a piece of performance art that lasted six hours, where she remained passive the entire time. Essentially, she had some objects placed on a table and gave the audience instructions that they could be used on her however they wanted, and she would take full responsibility of what ensued. After six hours, her clothes had been removed with razors, her throat had been slashed a little (so someone could suck her blood), she had been sexually assaulted and had a loaded pistol placed in her own hand aiming at herself and her finger on the trigger, among other things. It caused a fight in the audience iirc because there were some people wanting to protect her.

Bad things can happen when people don't need to worry about the consequences of their actions imo. While I want people to be free to express themselves in-game, I think its important to have something resembling a boundary when a line gets crossed and it becomes something that can cause harm to others or make their game experience unenjoyable. That's my personal opinion about this. Maybe a part of me also holds people to the same standards I try to set, idk.

• MarxistDictator
    5249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Not an ‘artist’ by any sense of the word, that crowd reaction can be entirely explained by the above video.
  • GrizzGolf
    1413 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They need to stop some of the new toxic stuff ive been seeing in chat. I know I can turn chat off but man I wish people would be more respectful 
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Bad things can happen when people don't need to worry about the consequences of their actions imo. While I want people to be free to express themselves in-game, I think its important to have something resembling a boundary when a line gets crossed and it becomes something that can cause harm to others or make their game experience unenjoyable. That's my personal opinion about this. Maybe a part of me also holds people to the same standards I try to set, idk.

Some rules only keep the honest people honest.

Some people act "kindly" only because they feel that some sort of karma will return to them, rather than acting kindly because it's simply the right thing to do.

We see  all of that in video games.  "Medics would revive more if they got more points."  I mean, the analogy is a bit of a stretch, but there are other actions, many against the EULA of the game, that people still do quite often.
  • MrCamp121
    1120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They should be more interested in dealing with the cheaters that have been in literally EVERY server today instead of subjective toxicity
  • Netranger9
    209 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The chat lately has been nothing more than a distraction for me,all the completely useless banter going on.I always say "thank you"if someone revives me but other than that the chat just distracts me so most of the time I turn it off.

• superteds
    1218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind the ez stuff or tea bagging, that's been part of MP online for years and years. The stuff i really dislike feels like it's only kicked off in the past 4 or 5 years - people wishing people got cancer, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, corona etc for killing them in game, people deliberately circumventing the chat filter to be racist (and no, not just against black people, but eastern europeans, russians, chinese - christ even irish)

I don't understand the mindset at all. It isn't banter, it's just being deliberately offensive for the sake of it and i do worry about how people who think it's funny to wish someone got cancer go about their day to day lives. 
  • Hawxxeye
    edited June 23

This is actually an extension of the "power corrupts" statement. Power does not corrupt but it exposes what the person truly wants to do once they have the power to do so.
    MrCamp121 said:
    They should be more interested in dealing with the cheaters that have been in literally EVERY server today instead of subjective toxicity
    Especially when considering that this subjective toxicity they are actually targeting is more often than not the words and expressions that certain vocal groups of people who are not even videogamers are the ones who mainly take issue with.
    A company should tailor their products around the actual people who pay for it and play instead of some organized non-gamers spamming the company's social media
    and if a player is actually making themselves cesspit of malice on the chat only then they should just be manually reported by other players.
  • GeneralXIV
    306 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Not an ‘artist’ by any sense of the word, that crowd reaction can be entirely explained by the above video.

Art isn't only pictures, music, books, games and other performances are art too. She is literally defined as a performance artist, that's her career. Unfortunately, I didn't gain any explanation from the video? I saw her painting some strange... recipes in blood? which definitely seems like it would be part of a performance art project because that's the kind of thing I'd be expecting. I did skip a few seconds of the video but I never saw/heard anything that would explain people's reactions more than "people just suck". I might be wrong there idk.

Some people act "kindly" only because they feel that some sort of karma will return to them, rather than acting kindly because it's simply the right thing to do.

We see  all of that in video games.  "Medics would revive more if they got more points."  I mean, the analogy is a bit of a stretch, but there are other actions, many against the EULA of the game, that people still do quite often.

Ignoring the fact there are times when rules are incredibly wrong and used as weapons instead of protecting people, I think most good/fair/sensible rules and restrictions are there only because of the bad people. *nods* A good person never needs rules imo, they never need to be threatened with negative consequences to do the right thing. They just... do it?

It's like in Battlefield V. If they turned off the chat filter today and turned off the anti-cheat, a good person wouldn't shout, swear, insult other players, insult other groups of people, make the game less fun for others or cheat so they could gain an advantage. They would just play as normal or maybe help other players in some way. In this context, I think the new policies only exist because of the bad players, because they wouldn't need to have these things if no one tried to make the game less fun for others?

But this is humanity. People really are terrible sometimes.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited June 23

Ignoring the fact there are times when rules are incredibly wrong and used as weapons instead of protecting people, I think most good/fair/sensible rules and restrictions are there only because of the bad people. *nods* A good person never needs rules imo, they never need to be threatened with negative consequences to do the right thing. They just... do it?

It's like in Battlefield V. If they turned off the chat filter today and turned off the anti-cheat, a good person wouldn't shout, swear, insult other players, insult other groups of people, make the game less fun for others or cheat so they could gain an advantage. They would just play as normal or maybe help other players in some way. In this context, I think the new policies only exist because of the bad players, because they wouldn't need to have these things if no one tried to make the game less fun for others?

This is why it was so much better in the private servers era of BF3/4 where the multitudes of player communities could self moderate.
    EA needs to swallow whatever pride or control obsession they have that prevents them from allowing third party hosts.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

This is why it was so much better in the private servers era of BF3/4 where the multitudes of player communities could self moderate.
    EA needs to swallow whatever pride or control obsession they have that prevents them from allowing third party hosts.
    That's not going to happen and you know the reason aka MUNEH. 
    EA's eternal greed will not allow community to have any sort of control. That's why RSP is not a thing and other limitations are surrounding us. MUNEH is one and only reason why we are in such mess. 
    Back in the day when communities and clans had the way to build and control their servers, it was way way better. While the same time publishers were only publishing games and that was it.
    But now when those big corporations realized how they can monetize every single thing, those unleashed all unavoidable "services" on us. And we're absolutely helpless here.
    You want RSP? Sorry, that's not happening.
    You don't want monetization in the game? Sorry, not going to remove that.
    You want more content? Sorry, you've already paid for the game and we owe you nothing, lol.