Any Beginner's guides/tips for a newcomer like me? (BF4/BF1)

ShrikeB
8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hi. I'm new to Battlefield multiplayer. I am having difficulty adapting to the gameplay of Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1, as I keep on getting fragged by people I fail to notice, and I always fail basic timing.

Can someone give me a beginner's guide AND tips for both Battlefield 4 & 1 respectively?

Comments

• opsis_1
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I highly suggest checking out videos from xfactor and levelcap. 
  • ShrikeB
    opsis_1 said:
    I highly suggest checking out videos from xfactor and levelcap. 
    Thanks for the tip.
  • ElliotLH
    9444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What could help a bit is using spectator mode, as you'd be able to watch the top scorer/killer during a match and see how they move and respond to threats.
  • ShrikeB
    That can also help a lot.
  • ShrikeB
    Well, after spending my actual time with multiplayer, I have to say I'm getting better. I've take notes from beginner's guide videos, and I'm beginning to live a bit more in matches.

However, now there's a new question after getting fragged a lot in Battlefield 4: "ARE THERE ANY SERVERS IN BF4 THAT AREN'T DOMINATED BY 140-RANKING VETERANS AND CAMPING GRIEFERS WITH SHOTGUNS?"
  • opsis_1
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Glad to hear you're improving! I've only seen level capped servers in BF3.. never BF4. Unfortunately the majority of players you play against in bf4 will be 140, as many have alt accounts. Shotguns are really only an issue in maps like lockers/metro. Never had an issue with shotty in any BF1 maps ..even fort de vaux. I always start medic then branch off from there. GL

• ShrikeB
    After playing some more BF4, I have to agree. The majority of players I play against in BF4 are, indeed, 140 veterans.
    The 140 guys are the problem. Someone should start making Level-capped servers for newbies, and since BF4 is getting more players through its Steam release, I genuinely feel that making servers for new/moderate players, where 140s and griefers and hackers aren't allowed, is the best solution I feel.  

As for BF1, I actually do a bit better in that game over BF4. 
  • ShrikeB
    Lemme explain. In BF4, most players you'll fight are diabolical and annoying 140 scumbags.
    In BF1, it's a little more mixed in terms of players, so noobs like me will only blame themselves whenever they bite the big one.

Both are still fantastic games, though. (BF1 especially for being one of two notable FPS games to be set in WW1, the other being the Painkiller-esque NecroVisioN.)
  • CSO7777
    1795 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ShrikeB said:
    After playing some more BF4, I have to agree. The majority of players I play against in BF4 are, indeed, 140 veterans.
    The 140 guys are the problem. Someone should start making Level-capped servers for newbies, and since BF4 is getting more players through its Steam release, I genuinely feel that making servers for new/moderate players, where 140s and griefers and hackers aren't allowed, is the best solution I feel.  

As for BF1, I actually do a bit better in that game over BF4. 
    Playing BF is all about trying to 'control' the chaos that is happening. This is a matter of map-knowledge, moving behind cover, using the right guns for the map/your playstyle and know when to push and when to 'camp'. It takes a lot of practice to be good at it.

In BF4 you play against a lot 'try-hard' players that have played the game for the last 6 years or so, BF1 is a little better regarding this (but there are still a lot of very dedicated/good players in BF1).

BF1 is slower paced than BF4 and this makes the game a little more "manageable". The number of vehicles and gadgets are reduced in BF1 compared to BF4, which again makes the game more manageable.

But if you improve your skills in BF1, you will also get better at BF4 (and BFV).

BF4 is in my opinion the best BF-game (of BF4/BF1/BFV), but it's way more hardcore and unforgiving to play than the newer titles.
  • FearNoTears
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What kind of monitor do you have? If you use an old 60hz monitor that could be a problem. Do you have v-sync on, because that could be another problem. Are you playing in ultra settings, because that is definitely a problem.

It doesn't sound like you have much experience playing FPS games on line, because if you did you would realize it would take a little while to get use to the game before you become a contender. You have to find the guns that work for you, then get the unlocks for it. You have a long ways to go to get everything unlocked. Each class has a learning curb and so much you can do that you haven't even scratch the surface.

The ideal is to have fun. Just to learn to fly the jets or heli chopper takes a lot of time to learn. Or you can just be a medic and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off run a gunning. That's not really going to help win game with tanks and air though, unless you let other people handle that. But, to be a all round BF player you would learn to do everything. That takes time to learn everything and to become better. 

Also, there things to learn about the game that takes awhile to learn and figure out. Like if your team is being dominated it could feel like its 1 vs 5 and what ever you try doesn't work. That and lag in the game can work against you. Other times the lag will be in your favor. If you run you may not spot people until it's too late, because they seen your first. It's almost like a player could be there, but you have to wait until the come into view. If you don't move a player may not even see you. You can actually follow people around and as long as you stay behind them or to the side of them they won't see you. They might hear you, but run when they run and slow down when they do and stop moving when you're at a angle to them and they might not see you. But, be ready to fire at any moment.

So there is a lot more to the game then even a lot of lvl 140 don't know. Manly because they play only one way. A med that runs and guns. Or tankers that live in tanks. Again and all around BF player will have many tricks in their bag and be able to counter every situation. Don't expect to be that player over night though. You can also fly the heli and switch seats to use the TV missiles or switch seats in the transport chopper to gun. Until someone spawn in the driver seat and crashes. lol. You can put C4 on the vehicles and chase them tanks back home. Or blow them up before they even leave their base. Fly the chopper over their base jump out and take someone tags. Now that is BF. To many rules, to many criers. lol. God I love this game. Well I did, until the 2nd false banned. Haters going to hate.  Learn from each kill and just have fun. Take your lumps and you will get there.

• ShrikeB

What kind of monitor do you have? If you use an old 60hz monitor that could be a problem. Do you have v-sync on, because that could be another problem. Are you playing in ultra settings, because that is definitely a problem.

It doesn't sound like you have much experience playing FPS games on line, because if you did you would realize it would take a little while to get use to the game before you become a contender. You have to find the guns that work for you, then get the unlocks for it. You have a long ways to go to get everything unlocked. Each class has a learning curb and so much you can do that you haven't even scratch the surface.

The ideal is to have fun. Just to learn to fly the jets or heli chopper takes a lot of time to learn. Or you can just be a medic and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off run a gunning. That's not really going to help win game with tanks and air though, unless you let other people handle that. But, to be a all round BF player you would learn to do everything. That takes time to learn everything and to become better. 

Also, there things to learn about the game that takes awhile to learn and figure out. Like if your team is being dominated it could feel like its 1 vs 5 and what ever you try doesn't work. That and lag in the game can work against you. Other times the lag will be in your favor. If you run you may not spot people until it's too late, because they seen your first. It's almost like a player could be there, but you have to wait until the come into view. If you don't move a player may not even see you. You can actually follow people around and as long as you stay behind them or to the side of them they won't see you. They might hear you, but run when they run and slow down when they do and stop moving when you're at a angle to them and they might not see you. But, be ready to fire at any moment.

So there is a lot more to the game then even a lot of lvl 140 don't know. Manly because they play only one way. A med that runs and guns. Or tankers that live in tanks. Again and all around BF player will have many tricks in their bag and be able to counter every situation. Don't expect to be that player over night though. You can also fly the heli and switch seats to use the TV missiles or switch seats in the transport chopper to gun. Until someone spawn in the driver seat and crashes. lol. You can put C4 on the vehicles and chase them tanks back home. Or blow them up before they even leave their base. Fly the chopper over their base jump out and take someone tags. Now that is BF. To many rules, to many criers. lol. God I love this game. Well I did, until the 2nd false banned. Haters going to hate.  Learn from each kill and just have fun. Take your lumps and you will get there.

Actually, I have experience playing FPS games online. When I had a shitbox of a computer, I played a little bit of Quake, and moreso the Project Cartographer mod for Halo 2. When I finally bought a much better computer, I now play a lot of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. When I got into Battlefield for the first time, I had no idea that servers would be populated by such utter 140 Try-hards. I will admit, however that I am getting better at it. even if servers will be populated by loathsome morons.

Also, how does turning V-sync off and not playing in Ultra help with the game play?
  • FearNoTears
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 30

I didn't say you had no experience, just not much. lol. You bought a box and ask about V-sync/Ultra settings is a give away. People that don't know much about PC, also don't know how they should run. The same for how the internet works. The same for how the game works or doesn't work. A lot of people think they know, but they don't.  They think everything should be perfect, but that's not the case. So what happens? Well they might think people are cheating and or blame the game if it doesn't work right or how they think it should work.

You will get better as you learn the maps and get things unlock. But, just because you lose a gun fight doesn't necessary mean it's all on you. I started of with a 60hz monitor and had to use V-sync for it wouldn't be choppy. I could start shooting people in the back and they would turn around and kill me. When ever I started shooting at people it only cause for me to get killed. lol. So my best bet to get kills was to go sneak up on people and take their tags instead. So I've become a pro recon and knifer. People looking for me would end up getting knifed and their buddy too. This was in BF3. I wasn't happy when they made front knife attacks in BF4. Which made people start running directly at you, which was silly to me and made knifing less about skill. BF3 is actually a much better game then BF4, because BF4 is water down or more noobish compare to BF4. I couldn't kill anyone close, so I started sniping. People couldn't do much about it, because I was out of their firing range. I also used the sofa and would set it up to where I could see all the bases. From there I pretty much became a commander, because I could point my team to where threats were. If I heli killed me just once it was enough to make me ground him using the sofa. Meaning when ever he tried to leave the base he would hear a buzzer and the 3 tanks sitting out side their base was ready to take him down. My 60hz monitor was a death trap, but I learn other ways to be affected and how to communicate with my whole team with out words.  Yet I would be considered a useless, selfish sniper that just thinks of himself. I would get hate for being a sniper. When I learned to fly a jet I would get hate for that too. When I would fly with the recon class I would get double hate.  I'm use to being hated, but when I get accused of breaking the rules or cheating just because I'm hated is unfair and leads to being kick or banned from the game. In BF4 people would cry about snipers getting so much points and said they were useless. They said the shouldn't get so many points and that all they do is sit miles away on a hill and didn't help. So then BF4 mid way in the game took away the marksmanship points to satisfied the criers and to try to force snipers off the hill. In BF3 it didn't matter what class you wear, because if you were good you could lead the game. Being #1 and winning all the games is more important to a lot of people vs just having fun, win or lose.  I knife a person just once and was accuse of cheating or shooting a player multiple times that kept coming for me thought I was cheating. One time I support kept coming for me and I kept killing him. And each time he did he re supplied me for a could blow up another one of their tanks. He didn't accuse me of cheating, but kept trying. He gets a A+ for at least trying and not getting salty.

As you can see I'm a little sore when people don't know much about the game and ask for nurfs and changes to the game vs getting better and being a stand up player. 

Anyways if you made it this fare. If you use V-sync it can cause input lag and make it harder to kill people. If you use Ultra settings then it makes it harder to see other player and will put you at a disadvantage. Can also cause some delay and interfere with your response time. So again you could be a good player, but be hold back with those setting or your hardware or because of the lag in the game. Over time you will know when the game is working with you or against you and no matter what there might not be much you can do, accept hope the next game is more in your favor or equal. Just a person joining, quitting or changing sides can effect your game and when you notice that you will realize it's not you.  It's not about being #1 or winning every game, but being able to enjoy and have fun even at the worse of times.

P.S When you play on privet servers realize a lot of the players played the same map about 10,000 times. 

• KorpusDraige
    2384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

So there is a lot more to the game then even a lot of lvl 140 don't know. Manly because they play only one way. A med that runs and guns. Or tankers that live in tanks. Again and all around BF player will have many tricks in their bag and be able to counter every situation.

This is a recipe to get farmed by someone who is highly experienced in a couple of roles. Sure, you can try to counter them by going the "all rounder" route, but none of that is going to matter if that person has seen it all before. You get someone who is very experienced in a couple of areas and it's goodnight if you try.

My advice is to just pick a couple of roles (infantry and a vehicle) and grind those areas for a while, then expand out if you wish. Get to know the maps. 140 doesn't mean much, you can't go down in rank if you're not that good. Most 140s look like new players and sometimes those 140s make a new account so then they're low rank.
  • FearNoTears

So there is a lot more to the game then even a lot of lvl 140 don't know. Manly because they play only one way. A med that runs and guns. Or tankers that live in tanks. Again and all around BF player will have many tricks in their bag and be able to counter every situation.

This is a recipe to get farmed by someone who is highly experienced in a couple of roles. Sure, you can try to counter them by going the "all rounder" route, but none of that is going to matter if that person has seen it all before. You get someone who is very experienced in a couple of areas and it's goodnight if you try.

My advice is to just pick a couple of roles (infantry and a vehicle) and grind those areas for a while, then expand out if you wish. Get to know the maps. 140 doesn't mean much, you can't go down in rank if you're not that good. Most 140s look like new players and sometimes those 140s make a new account so then they're low rank.

I think you missed my point. If he is using a 60hz monitor or an older one that could be a problem. The same if he has v-sync on or using Ultra settings can work against him. Also tweaking the PC can help. First things first. 2nd realizing not every game will be fun, if the teams are stack or the game is working against him. In that case go snipe on the hill and wait for the next game. lol. Take the good with the bad and don't get discourage and try to have fun is my message.

As for classes. If he runs and guns he will be focus of the near surrounding and might get snipe out a lot. If he takes on a sniper role using like a 6x scope with zoom then he expands his vision to see clear across the map. He should spot everything that moves. So he shouldn't get snipe out, because now the ideal is for him to see that sniper before he sees him. I'm not saying to be a sniper, but saying taking that role gives a different kind of play that I think is valuable.

To avoid being farmed be aware of the air and try not to get spotted and use cover. The air will focus on the easiest targets first.

• ShrikeB

Thanks for giving me insight into the mind of a tryhard/140/Griefer. 
    Tonight, I realised that I have better luck in BF1 than I do in BF4, mainly due to the more mixed sorts of players I encounter. I also watched two morons having a racist go-at-it in the chat section, but that's a whole other story.
    Still, despite better luck in BF1, I am still getting better in BF4.
  • FearNoTears

I think you missed my point. If he is using a 60hz monitor or an older one that could be a problem. The same if he has v-sync on or using Ultra settings can work against him. Also tweaking the PC can help. First things first. 2nd realizing not every game will be fun, if the teams are stack or the game is working against him. In that case go snipe on the hill and wait for the next game. lol. Take the good with the bad and don't get discourage and try to have fun is my message.

As for classes. If he runs and guns he will be focus of the near surrounding and might get snipe out a lot. If he takes on a sniper role using like a 6x scope with zoom then he expands his vision to see clear across the map. He should spot everything that moves. So he shouldn't get snipe out, because now the ideal is for him to see that sniper before he sees him. I'm not saying to be a sniper, but saying taking that role gives a different kind of play that I think is valuable.

To avoid being farmed be aware of the air and try not to get spotted and use cover. The air will focus on the easiest targets first.

• KorpusDraige
    2384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ShrikeB said:

Thanks for giving me insight into the mind of a tryhard/140/Griefer. 
    Tonight, I realised that I have better luck in BF1 than I do in BF4, mainly due to the more mixed sorts of players I encounter. I also watched two morons having a racist go-at-it in the chat section, but that's a whole other story.
    Still, despite better luck in BF1, I am still getting better in BF4.
    It's not really "griefing" lol. To become better, play against good competition (don't leave the server or sit on a hill as a sniper, you'll learn nothing), if you truly want to get better you're going to die often until you learn the game. As I said, pick a couple roles to get good at and if you feel like learning more go for it.
  • FearNoTears
    KorpusDraige said
     (don't leave the server or sit on a hill as a sniper, you'll learn nothing)

That's not true, you learn to snipe. 

When a team is getting dominate you can pull back and raise the white flag. You can go run towards a base and get slaughtered or you can sit from the hill and shoot fish in a barrel. lol. 

• HugoPlayNow
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In BF1;  Some suggestions.

Be Support Class.  get in a good covered low position and provide cover fire for your squad.

Also great is Assault Class....get a shotgun and anti tank mines...lay all your AT mines and score points while shooting elsewhere.  The Shotgun evens the playing field because in tight quarters fighting, it's a one shot kill.

You can also be a Medic and rank points by reviving your squad.

Regardless of Class, if you see a tank, get in it and provide cover fire.  You are less likely to be killed in a tank.

Now in BF1, they make ranking up ridiculously hard now for some reason.  You have to get a ridiculous amount of points to rank up.  It didn't used to be like that.

Just enjoy yourself, don't get frustrated and enjoy the challenge of live opponents.  After playing Live, I can't go back to Single Player Campaigns.
  • KorpusDraige
    KorpusDraige said
     (don't leave the server or sit on a hill as a sniper, you'll learn nothing)

That's not true, you learn to snipe. 

When a team is getting dominate you can pull back and raise the white flag. You can go run towards a base and get slaughtered or you can sit from the hill and shoot fish in a barrel. lol. 

Yes, go sit on a hill or a tower/rooftop and "raise the white flag". Great advice.