If battlefield 6 is Modern setting i will NOT be touching it.

shnukshnuk
75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited September 11
Modern day is so overdone and boring. Im generally tired of it, BF1 was absolutely amazing and a breath of beautiful fresh air even allowing you to experience historical theatres never seen before like the Italian war in the alps and gallipoli. BFV while stuff from the get go thanks to political indoctrination did have some amazing stuff especially the pacific theatre again a lesser shown theatre.

WW1 and WW2 are incredibly immersive and full of amazing stories that simply cannot be shown with the same kind of emotion and immersion.
i went back to BF4 recently and quit after like 10 minutes then went to play battleifield 1 and was just blown away by how much it sucks me in and makes me feel like im there in history.

Heres my limit if the next battlefield game is ANYTHING over the year 1990 i will not touch it. i am beyond sick and tired of seeing BF4 rose titned glasses and the same russia v china v america crap.
not to mention eternal lockers gameplay. what do we have in BF4 huh? three factions the same generic modern day stuff. in BF1 we have the ottomon empire, Italy, france, america, austria hungary, Germany, russia, the UK so much more.

Comments

• shnukshnuk
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Celsi_GER said:
    It was nice playing with you. Good luck with your next historical shooter.
    No worries plenty of better games to choose from, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2, Hell Let Loose, Post Scriptum, Rising Storm 2 Vietnam

modern day can go jump off a cliff
  • lambo3500
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I reallllllly hope they do cold war with emphasis on Vietnam. I think it's modern enough to give you fighter jets, and various "modern style" weapons. I think modern is quite overdone IMO. I'd still play modern, but reallllly hoping for ColdWar (Vietnam).
  • PSJackman4
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    100% agree. I went back to BF4 and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Just the same formula over and over and over again with modern BF games. Lots of people want a modern setting for BF2021, which will probably happen.

We have had seven modern BF titles in a row SEVEN!!! Thats a bit overkill. Battlefield does modern shooters pretty well, but I am surprised that people aren't tired of it. 

IMO, the historical BF games are by far better than the modern Bf games. So much more interesting. 
  • Titan_Awaken
    1287 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hmm...

What if it was futuristic? Would you give it a shot then? Just curious.
  • m1k3ol
    873 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    Times change, I don't see historical to get more players now than before

I enjoyed BFV, specially the gunplay, but I wouldn't dislike a modern title, depending on what translates from this game to the new one...
  • just4FanTA
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    lol

if it´s modernday and it will be! the sales will skyrocket!
  • dogred
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We're inundated with modern war era games (and now a new one with BO which is yet another MW like title), and being they see to be going modern, it would have to be a total different game than past BFs in order for it to even in the least compete with the already saturated market.
  • just4FanTA
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    noo people are dying for a modern bf game, they have enough of the ww1 and ww2 stuff.
  • dogred
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    noo people are dying for a modern bf game, they have enough of the ww1 and ww2 stuff.
    The Cold War should be much more explored. COD is going to latter cold war, and i think a Bad Company 3 Cold War from say 1946 to 1972 would have been excellent. Too many MW games.
  • just4FanTA
    well cold war is also nice, but there will be no bad company game. ;)

• CSO7777
    1845 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    dogred said:
    The Cold War should be much more explored. COD is going to latter cold war, and i think a Bad Company 3 Cold War from say 1946 to 1972 would have been excellent. Too many MW games.
    Personally I think EA/Dice has been "burnt" by making a WW2 game and having a big backlash by not being historical correct.

They will probably not do that in the next title and a modern (slightly futuristic) setting will give them more freedom to do cosmetics and include women without any problems from the playerbase.

Personally I would like a modern version. If they can implement the gun-mechanics from BFV with the guns from BF4, it could be a very interesting game.
  • bfloo11111111111
    224 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    After back to back historical games, I enjoyed 1, didn't play V aside from the beta and early access (didn't enjoy it and skipped it) I'd rather have something more modern just to change it up a bit.
  • MarauderFox
    113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I agree, modern is over-done, but sci-fi/future was overdone by COD, WW1 & WW2 is also overdone by COD and BF
    The 50s-80s period is sufficiently uncommon to be new enough for the audience, but also modern enough to allow the variety of content and maps that make Battlefield.
    Please don't immediately think Vietnam. Vietnam puts you in a quagmire, you've instantly restricted the maps, vehicles and weapons to a VERY thin slice of history; M16s & AKs  on a jungle map will get boring FAST.
  • ragnarok013
    3884 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    dogred said:

dogred honest question, in your opinion what makes an entry a "Bad Company" entry compared to a main line Battlefield entry? First and foremost I'd say it's the bad company campaign, but multiplayer wise being marketed at first solely to consoles and later releasing BC2 on PC it meant lower player count, no jets, smaller maps, and IMO a bad class system (ie medics with LMGs). If we make larger maps and bring in jets with the higher player count that everyone is asking for on next gen I can see people saying "Hey this isn't Bad Company it's just Battlefield 6!" even if there is a Bad Company campaign.  I think Bad Company's memory is so fueled by nostalgia at this point that it's almost impossible to release a Bad Company game that could meet community expectations just like would happen with Half Life 3 or did happen with Duke Nukem Forever (bugs aside for Duke).

Cold war is a decent era to use however that is a really broad era, it would range from Korea which is basically WWII Part II equipment wise, to Vietnam to the end of the Cold war in the late 80s which is the modern era although I see you ended the Cold War during Vietnam in your post. Naturally the Cold War is a historical event so history and authenticity would rear its head again so my bet on the next entry would be near future modern war perhaps bringing back an old fictional adversary the MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition) so they're not shackled by history and authenticity.
  • Trokey66
    9107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree, modern is over-done, but sci-fi/future was overdone by COD, WW1 & WW2 is also overdone by COD and BF
    The 50s-80s period is sufficiently uncommon to be new enough for the audience, but also modern enough to allow the variety of content and maps that make Battlefield.
    Please don't immediately think Vietnam. Vietnam puts you in a quagmire, you've instantly restricted the maps, vehicles and weapons to a VERY thin slice of history; M16s & AKs  on a jungle map will get boring FAST.

This is my thoughts on Vietnam too.

Might make a canny DLC but a whole game?

Not enough variety of environment for a whole game in my opinion.

80's - 90's Cold War could present a veritable smorgasbord of opportunities.
  • dogred
    dogred said:

dogred honest question, in your opinion what makes an entry a "Bad Company" entry compared to a main line Battlefield entry? First and foremost I'd say it's the bad company campaign, but multiplayer wise being marketed at first solely to consoles and later releasing BC2 on PC it meant lower player count, no jets, smaller maps, and IMO a bad class system (ie medics with LMGs). If we make larger maps and bring in jets with the higher player count that everyone is asking for on next gen I can see people saying "Hey this isn't Bad Company it's just Battlefield 6!" even if there is a Bad Company campaign.  I think Bad Company's memory is so fueled by nostalgia at this point that it's almost impossible to release a Bad Company game that could meet community expectations just like would happen with Half Life 3 or did happen with Duke Nukem Forever (bugs aside for Duke).

Cold war is a decent era to use however that is a really broad era, it would range from Korea which is basically WWII Part II equipment wise, to Vietnam to the end of the Cold war in the late 80s which is the modern era although I see you ended the Cold War during Vietnam in your post. Naturally the Cold War is a historical event so history and authenticity would rear its head again so my bet on the next entry would be near future modern war perhaps bringing back an old fictional adversary the MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition) so they're not shackled by history and authenticity.
    Well, in short, i think what you're echoing are talking points we hear from content creators who play on PC (only a quarter of the play base), most of which did not play Bad Company, the title that launched the hype that made BC 2 a successful game, and in turn the franchise going forward.

I don't think BF ever had a campaign on PC. It was soley a mp game, albeit with a good bot sp portion. And lets face it. there has been a stagnation of this franchise over the course of these succeeding years.

That being said, COD saw the backlash, and had to go back to a Campaign, when they omitted one i think from BO4 .
    So, BF needs that, but it has to be good, as they were in the Bad Company days. SP is making a huge comeback on consoles.

Throwing around a lazy effort as they did in BF1 and BF V, is not going to make many happy. They have to put effort into their games, and most of all, not listen to a very vocal minority group, that may fit then needs of their particular subscribers, but not all the vast amount of gamers at home.

As to your last point, we're going into next gen consoles, with power that can compete with even a decent PC. There is no reason, if BO 1 two generations ago can cover a whole decade of time, so could BF.

COD is already covering the 70s and 80's. It may be smart to make a BO prequel, than sequel, and i think the Korean War era, say 1950 to 1967, and maps and weapons from those different time periods, could work. Snow Soviet Maps. Vietnam, China, Cuba, Korea and E Germany etc.

Compound that with a Bad Company story in that time period (like BO has their characters) could def work. Bad Company 3 Cold War.

Now, DICE may be lazy, cheap and greedy, and not "want" it to work, being it takes time and rescources to make a game like that, and may be feeding their creators doom and gloom as to lower our expectations. But i think you and i may know, a half baked soley mp BF game, unless it's FREE, will absolutely cause a backlash, particularly with a three year dev cycle, and the means of next gen hardware.

• HawkeyeAM47
    1370 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In all seriousness people do not know. But before the Siviet union collapsed, the USSR wanted to start war with the US in the late 80's but did not happen.
  • PSJackman4
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In all seriousness people do not know. But before the Siviet union collapsed, the USSR wanted to start war with the US in the late 80's but did not happen.
    ooooohhhh that would be a cool alternate history BF game. It could start in the 80's and then it would go through the 90's and maybe early 2000's. It would have a bunch of factions such as West and East Germany, France, UK, US, Italy, South Korea, North Korea, China, USSR, Afghanistan, and other middle eastern countries. 

Btw siviet? lol
  • AnEejit
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Setting doesn't bother me at all, as long as it's a solid game then i'm sold. 3 and 4 played beautifully, once the bugs were sorted, 1 was really immersive and played almost as good as 3/4, got stale after a while. V was subpar start to finish. It felt as if the dev team was divided on every decision made.