Over animating

Christo04002283
102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Why did dice over animate everything you do in battlefield 5? It's so annoying

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Because someone at Dice thought it'd be extremely good idea to put loads of realistic stuff into arcade game.
  • Celsi_GER
    893 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 16
    I don't consider BF a pure arcade game.
    It has too realistic weapons/details for arcade.
    I would estinate 45% Milsim and 55% Arcade. The animations belong to the Milsim part.
    I do not categorically reject the animations, I especially welcome the sqaud revives to last longer than the medic revives - but I would vote for the animations to be reduced in duration by 50%. Getting out of a vehicle takes annoyingly long.
  • Lotusninja_Akira
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 16
    They wanted to slowdown gameplay with many changes and additions made from BF1 to BFV, I assume. Only opposing features accelerating gameplay which comes to mind are perks from classes.
    Post edited by Lotusninja_Akira on
  • Hawxxeye
    7774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is all part of the Great mistake many game devs do this decade where they focus on making games look pretty over being functional/practical
  • Carbonic
    1946 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I think there are good and bad animations. For me, the bad animations are typically the ones where I lose complete control of my character. Climbing walls, reviving, entering vehicles etc.
    For example, revives, you can't do anything, I would rather you would be able to move around and adjust your view when reviving (the revive bar could slow down if you move or look around too much, that's fine).
    What specific animations do you think could be better and why?
  • CSO7777
    1873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think some of them are annoying and takes too long and sometimes they just start automatically when you don't really want them (like opening doors etc).

But in earlier titles people could do really stupid things, like driving a jeep/motorcycle and then jumping out and then start shooting instantly.

They have to find a balance where you still feel like you are in control, but things like entering/exiting vehicles should come with some penalty.

And the revive animation is probably still to long for medics giving us the 'heavy smokers problem' (as discussed elsewhere).
  • TheNoobPolice
    1632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DICE misunderstands the use of animations. Games are an abstraction, you only need to animate something when you specifically need to slow down an action in the second-to-second gameplay loop. A reload is a great example where one is required.

For whatever reason DICE choose to fill the entire game with useless animations. Some animations that just don't need to exist in this franchise:

Doors  / screen shake on moving through doors
    Vaulting & climbing nonsense (jumping is fine)
    Reviving
    The death cam animation / screen shake
    Entering / exiting vehicles
    Spotting
    Healing
    Resupplying...

The list goes on....just MuH iMmErSiOn nonsense designed to appease the single-digit IQ pseudo-milsim dilettante and their prone MMG gameplay
  • Christo04002283
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic wrote: »
    I think there are good and bad animations. For me, the bad animations are typically the ones where I lose complete control of my character. Climbing walls, reviving, entering vehicles etc.
    For example, revives, you can't do anything, I would rather you would be able to move around and adjust your view when reviving (the revive bar could slow down if you move or look around too much, that's fine).
    What specific animations do you think could be better and why?

So I hate the animation where you pick up and receive the ammo or med kit like during that time I could be shooting but nah you that annoying animation. Then theres the animation to get in and out of vehicles is just annoying because I want to quickly get out but because of the animation I die from some explosion or shot. Then theres the animation to mount a bipod for mmgs, this infuriates me because I just want to quickly mount my bipod so I can shoot but nah dice thought it would be nice if your character model would go and pull out your bipod or push it back in everytime you get near a edge or lay on the floor, the player should just leave the bipod out so you can readily place it down so you can shoot.
  • OskooI_007
    1318 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 20
    Enter/exit vehicle animations should be in 3rd person view. I get disoriented and motion sick every time they play.

A tuck and roll animation when jumping out of a vehicle going 90kph would be cool.
    Post edited by OskooI_007 on
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1482 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    again BFV main error quantity over quality in all things
  • tempo_rarity
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only times I've been annoyed is when my own timing of timed animations was ill-timed .
     :p 
    I actually like the animations for this 'working' of time that they cause a doer , and for the ample opportunities they present to a seer .
     >:) 

^ tuck-and-roll would be cool , IF you also had to run back to grab your bag of stuff that you had to toss first   :D 
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like the vaulting/movement improvements and animations added to BFV, but everything else, like reviving, entering/exiting vehicles, opening doors, picking up supplies etc. is just obnoxious. I'd prefer the simplicity of pre-BF1 animations, which is to say almost none, to what we have now for the next game.
  • trip1ex
    5231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    the animations just suck out the fun.    

the vehicle ones are horrible.  

I mean I understand the "problem" they were trying to solve but I think the cure was much worse than the disease.

• Trokey66
    9140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »

I mean I understand the "problem" they were trying to solve but I think the cure was much worse than the disease.

Without doubt, the vehicle animations suck the fun out of them, especially for Repair Monkeys as they take too long and are too predictable.

As you say, the exact opposite of the 'problem' and as with many things BFV, an unessecarry extreme.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1482 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex said:

well the issue with the instant vehicle exists is simply the tanker gets an unfair advantage since he knows where the assailant is compared to the assaulting player.... one fix would've been forcing constant 1st person or an extra tank seat for the "commander" how can see 360° from the inside out of the viewports, but then again advantage goes to the tanker...
    one was could be to have just the exit animation or have a set spawn point for the exit maybe just the back left side or something
  • Trokey66
    9140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    well the issue with the instant vehicle exists is simply the tanker gets an unfair advantage since he knows where the assailant is compared to the assaulting player.... one fix would've been forcing constant 1st person or an extra tank seat for the "commander" how can see 360° from the inside out of the viewports, but then again advantage goes to the tanker...one was could be to have just the exit animation or have a set spawn point for the exit maybe just the back left side or something

In BF4, the player exited the vihicles in the direction his weapon was pointing.
  • Blackidus
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The Vehicles entering and exiting can just be removed.

Revives I get the idea, stopping people being revived in the line of fire just to get insta killed again.
    So those should still be in there, maybe just tweeked a little.
  • CSO7777
    1873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Vehicle enter/exit must have some penalty. In BF4 you could do this instantly and it was really stupid. The hitboxes was broken and you often couldn't even hit people exiting vehicles and they could just kill you instantly.

The duration could be decreased a little though now it feels really slow.
  • CPU_UK
    1113 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They are there for a very good reason- to get you killed (I kid not). Every action you do in BF carries a risk.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4411 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 said:
    I think some of them are annoying and takes too long and sometimes they just start automatically when you don't really want them (like opening doors etc).

But in earlier titles people could do really stupid things, like driving a jeep/motorcycle and then jumping out and then start shooting instantly.

They have to find a balance where you still feel like you are in control, but things like entering/exiting vehicles should come with some penalty.

And the revive animation is probably still to long for medics giving us the 'heavy smokers problem' (as discussed elsewhere).
    Could not agree more. I HATED the lack on vehicle/horse exit animations in previous games.  Really spoiled immersion.