This game needs only 3 modes

Exequtore
1431 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
It's Operations (like BF1), Conquest and Deathmatch. Next time don't waste your time on creating 1000 modes that nobody plays. Make more city and infantry maps instead. K thnx.

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    14425 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Deathmatch ewww
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1489 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    well rush has been a staple of BF far longer then operations....
    i and i reckon most don't mind a good mix of modes but BFV just took (like many other aspects) quantity over quality.
    frontlines with the right amount of rework could be an awesome mode it was already good in BF1 but in BFV it became rather stupid since you could at least during the early months of the game walk into the uncapped flag objective and wait for the rest of your team to win the actual objective then have your squad spawn on you and already contest if not win the next objective before the enemy team even retreated. let alone tanks only spawned in the base so by the time they arrived to maybe give you an advantage its was more often then not too late.
    grind on the other hand can go and burn in hell for all i care, would rather have a dediceted RSP where ppl who enjoy that fustercluck can play metro to their hearts content instead
    domination as well has and had a really decent following i remember how pissed they were when DICE removed it since it helped to keep some full lobbys in areas where you would struggle to keep up multiple 64-player servers....
    so i do not really agree with your statement
  • Noodlesocks
    3652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If the next game had only Breakthrough and Conquest I'd be fine with that. Frontlines, Outpost and Rush can come too.
  • iamwiener
    360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Operations? Fail mode
    TDM..why?!
    More infantry only? Maybe CoD is your game?
  • trip1ex
    5231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I just never saw the pt because hardly anyone plays the objective anyway and most of the modes are no different than conquest.  

On top of it, they've made so many modes over the years, you would  think they  would have created a few gems over that time period and kept those.  But they just always keep making new throwaway modes.    I'd like to see them refine a few of the better ones and carry them forward.  And then work on a new mode every game.

I shouldn't complain too much because Obliteration was a new mode in BF4 and  is a blast if you like to play the mode/objective and move around and use vehicles alaong with just being infantry and play the team game and have back and forth action and strategy in addition to just pure TDM.  According to DICE tho, they thought it required too much teamwork on pubs even though in the office it was a mode that brought lots of excitement and hollering.  And thus I guess they abandoned it in BF1 and BFV.  

Personally I think they have to do something to make different modes about the mode and not just slightly different scenery  for tdm play.  The way I see it is in  every new mode, there are a few people trying to play the mode and figuring out how to best play it.  But meanwhile 90%+ are just playing like they play every mode aka like TDM.  And of those people some claim to love this or that mode but really only love it because they found a place where they can get more kills because it suits the narrow role they like to play as kill farmers and they  find a bunch of people to kill who are trying to play the objective.  

I equate it to  some players on a football field playing the "objective" while most players are in the stands trying to shoot those players on the field and never once step foot on the field because it would mean getting their hands dirty and possibility of k/d decrease.  On pubs, the tendency is for most players is to remain in the stands.  The culture seems based around k/d more than strategy and teamwork and trying to win.    

I don't know if there  anything they could do to improve the culture  except promote the way to play each mode and tactics/strategy and the fun of that part of it.   The fun of teamwork.  And maybe disable k/d or downplay so more can enjoy said mode without worrying about their precious stats.  You need to kill in various modes.  But you also need to blow up the mcom in Rush for example.  Or move the bomb in Obliteration.  IF everyone is just camping from the cheap seats, then there's no mode.  The ball just sits there.  

On the full 32 player Oblit servers in BF4 I picked up the bomb to a fault because otherwise it just wasn't going to move unless the red carpet rolled out and the red sea parted.  That mode is most fun when everyone is trying to push and not just sitting there farming.   Also you can tell people dont' play modes because 64 player Obliteration was a thing.  at one point there was only a 64 player Obliteration server.  And the problem with that was the mode was made for 32 and 64 was overkill to the point where the bomb could never mode unless your team was oblivious or got super lucky.  It just became TDM.  

Which goes back to my pt that most people just play each mode like its TDM.  
  • Celsi_GER
    893 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Replace "Operations" (my most hated game mode) with "Rush" and I will agree.
  • Trokey66
    9148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    I just never saw the pt because hardly anyone plays the objective anyway and most of the modes are no different than conquest.  

On top of it, they've made so many modes over the years, you would  think they  would have created a few gems over that time period and kept those.  But they just always keep making new throwaway modes.    I'd like to see them refine a few of the better ones and carry them forward.  And then work on a new mode every game.

I shouldn't complain too much because Obliteration was a new mode in BF4 and  is a blast if you like to play the mode/objective and move around and use vehicles alaong with just being infantry and play the team game and have back and forth action and strategy in addition to just pure TDM.  According to DICE tho, they thought it required too much teamwork on pubs even though in the office it was a mode that brought lots of excitement and hollering.  And thus I guess they abandoned it in BF1 and BFV.  

Personally I think they have to do something to make different modes about the mode and not just slightly different scenery  for tdm play.  The way I see it is in  every new mode, there are a few people trying to play the mode and figuring out how to best play it.  But meanwhile 90%+ are just playing like they play every mode aka like TDM.  And of those people some claim to love this or that mode but really only love it because they found a place where they can get more kills because it suits the narrow role they like to play as kill farmers and they  find a bunch of people to kill who are trying to play the objective.  

I equate it to  some players on a football field playing the "objective" while most players are in the stands trying to shoot those players on the field and never once step foot on the field because it would mean getting their hands dirty and possibility of k/d decrease.  On pubs, the tendency is for most players is to remain in the stands.  The culture seems based around k/d more than strategy and teamwork and trying to win.    

I don't know if there  anything they could do to improve the culture  except promote the way to play each mode and tactics/strategy and the fun of that part of it.   The fun of teamwork.  And maybe disable k/d or downplay so more can enjoy said mode without worrying about their precious stats.  You need to kill in various modes.  But you also need to blow up the mcom in Rush for example.  Or move the bomb in Obliteration.  IF everyone is just camping from the cheap seats, then there's no mode.  The ball just sits there.  

On the full 32 player Oblit servers in BF4 I picked up the bomb to a fault because otherwise it just wasn't going to move unless the red carpet rolled out and the red sea parted.  That mode is most fun when everyone is trying to push and not just sitting there farming.   Also you can tell people dont' play modes because 64 player Obliteration was a thing.  at one point there was only a 64 player Obliteration server.  And the problem with that was the mode was made for 32 and 64 was overkill to the point where the bomb could never mode unless your team was oblivious or got super lucky.  It just became TDM.  

Got to (mostly) agree.

Talking with the lads last night, I was saying one of the worst things in modern gaming is the Church of the Almighty KD leading too many people playering Conquest Team Death Match Large.

I agree that there have been too many 'throw away' modes but that is not a reason to remove the more popular ones.
  • maskedocelot
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like different modes on different versions of the game, depending on how the mode plays and the game plays. It's also nice to switch it up depending on what playing experience you want that day. So I think some volume makes sense but battlefield V probably had too many and them being temporary is just annoying.

I assume we'll get that 5v5 mode and maybe the proper archetypes, not sure I'd want battlefield to go that small though personally.
    And I tried team deathmatch once on BFV nobody shot anyone or moved in there either.
  • Noodlesocks
    3652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:

Got to (mostly) agree.

Talking with the lads last night, I was saying one of the worst things in modern gaming is the Church of the Almighty KD leading too many people playering Conquest Team Death Match Large.

I agree that there have been too many 'throw away' modes but that is not a reason to remove the more popular ones.

Sadly that's pretty much all conquest is in Battlefield 5. Not because the players are playing it wrong but because that's how Dice Sweden designed the mode for Battlefield 5. I do hope they put in an honest effort in returning conquest to the staple objective game mode of Battlefield and not just 64 player TDM as they turned it into for BF5.
  • jroggs
    1226 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    True Scotsman nonsense aside, I think DICE needs to look harder at how it implements modes in relation to everything else in the game.

Take V-1s, for example. Not too problematic for Conquest where everyone's spread all over the map, but heavily imbalanced in a mode like Breakthrough where entire teams are attacking or defending two points, or even just one. Or tanks being able to retreat to or hang back in areas the defending team can't reach. Or AT guns on the German side of Narvik TDM. Or not factoring weapon balance into Firestorm at all. Or spotting flares in modes like Grind; I've seen Recons top the scoreboard with hardly any kills. And so on and so on.

The one-size-fits-all design theory doesn't work.
  • bigiain
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Modes seemed to be an alternative to maps here. The developers knew that maps take a long time to create after BF1 and the removal of premium meant we had a very vague timetable of when new maps were due. They thought they could keep the game fresh and players interested by rotating modes.  

The reality is that in BF1 Operations, Rush and Frontlines were full of players who liked to hide at the back of the map and work on their K/D ratio, avoiding objectives became the meta. War Pigeons and Supply Drop were such huge failures that I can't really comment on them because they disappeared so quickly.

I can only think that they had no choice here but to go with modes, because it seemed a really bad idea before launch and proved to be even worse than I thought when the game released. Like the return or not of Hardcore, the modes announced for BF6 will be a good indicator of whether or not the developers are aware of some of the fundamental changes needed.
  • Exequtore
    1431 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    iamwiener said:
    Operations? Fail mode
    TDM..why?!
    More infantry only? Maybe CoD is your game?
    Maybe people want to have some nice gunfight instead of being farmed by broken airplanes and camping 1km away tanks?
  • BeastofBourbon84
    738 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We used to have domination for that and we also had objectives to cap.

Makes more sense to have this gamemode in battlefield imo but dice knew better...
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4420 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:

Got to (mostly) agree.

Could not agree more.   So many players have no idea how to PTFO.

Conquest, Rush, Operations and Frontlines would do.  I’d get rid of TDM.   BF is an objectives game.  There should be more tutorials in game to educate players.   

It’s the essence of Battlefield. 
  • Celsi_GER
    893 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    And again we, the players, naturally have different opinions.
    And a gain, Dice could ultra-easily get tge information they need by a simple poll within Origin: "What are your 3 most favourite game modes?" They will get a reliable ranking by real players and then decide to scrap the most disliked game mode and stop wasting development resources on them.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    414 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'd much rather play squad conquest or domination over TDM, but that is not an option on official servers and community servers are very rare occurances as well.

I used to only play conquest, but there are so many things about it that make it mostly a frustrating experience in BFV.
  • dariarty
    186 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Completely disagree, I've played and enjoyed every single mode this game has thrown out (other than Grind) at varying levels. Not every mode has been a success but I appreciated them as something new.

In BF4 I had some fantastic moments playing 'Gun Master' and BF1's 'Pidgeon'? (honestly can't remember the name of this one.) gave some standout moments.
    They're not mean't to be the staple game modes but to provide new flavour. Personally I've enjoyed Squad Conquest/Rush/Frontlines/Domination/Outpost far more than Breakthrough in V. 

The problem in V's case was the same for every game mode including Conquest and Breakthrough. It just wasn't ready. The development time was too short and no doubt Dice's resources where stretched too thin dealing with the Battlefront 2 debacle and other companies under the EA umbrellas inability to work with Frostbite (Anthem). 
    This has resulted in untested, poorly planned modes in an untested, poorly planned game. 

If Dice had focussed purely on Conquest and Breakthrough would we even have more maps? Cutting up a section of an existing map for a mode is surely easier than designing an entirely new map on the scale of Conquest/Breakthrough.
  • wildbam
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    yea everyone 's taste differs  B)

I'd like to see 64 players rush (with a much higher ticket count) and permanent grind!!  :D

• 123loreni
    153 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Breakthrough
    Frontlines Rush
    TDM