Undervolt your 3080

oOo_Spell_oOo
48 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Undervolting 3080 Aorus Master and paired w/ my 8700k 4.9ghz nets me about 150-170 FPS on 1440p 144hz monitor and runs very cool at 53-56C during gameplay in not the coolest case (NZXT S340 Elite).

MSI Afterburner: Core Clock to -290, open curve and at 950, I started with 1950mhz and went all the way up to 2040mhz and settled on that. Benchmarks come out slightly higher than OC and cooler. I made a quick vid to show the settings, quick temp/FPS in multiplayer gameplay. Undergrowth obviously set low for multiplayer. 

Reason for setting Ultra is so the GPU uses most of the power versus CPU from what I've read and understood. Any suggestions on settings for improvement is helpful or making it easier to see targets.

Comments

• BeastofBourbon84
    754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Foilage low is pretty much all you can do but with that kind of power I'd have to limit the fps (1440p 165hz display).

Oh well since the 3080ies are so rare and overpriced atm I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Let's see what amd has to offer.
    The zen3 biosupdate for my board will hopefully drop in jan2021 then I'll decide which cpu and gpu to buy.

My 2700x and 2080 are still holding up well.
  • Netranger9
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Undervolting 3080 Aorus Master and paired w/ my 8700k 4.9ghz nets me about 150-170 FPS on 1440p 144hz monitor and runs very cool at 53-56C during gameplay in not the coolest case (NZXT S340 Elite).

MSI Afterburner: Core Clock to -290, open curve and at 950, I started with 1950mhz and went all the way up to 2040mhz and settled on that. Benchmarks come out slightly higher than OC and cooler. I made a quick vid to show the settings, quick temp/FPS in multiplayer gameplay. Undergrowth obviously set low for multiplayer. 

Reason for setting Ultra is so the GPU uses most of the power versus CPU from what I've read and understood. Any suggestions on settings for improvement is helpful or making it easier to see targets.

Why,for the love of god would you undervolt??.I paid a insane amount of money for mine and I wouldnt undervolt it if my life depended on it,lol.On a seperate note,only newbs or idiots play at ultra.

• LOLGotYerTags
    14502 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 21

Why,for the love of god would you undervolt??.I paid a insane amount of money for mine and I wouldnt undervolt it if my life depended on it,lol.On a seperate note,only newbs or idiots play at ultra.

Depending on the vendor,  Some cards run an array of cheap capacitors that result in a hard crash to desktop due to electrical noise.

Undervolting is the recommended fix for the issue as its not something card manufacturers are seeing as a problem. 

Currently only 2 ( 3 if you count the official nvidia reference cards ) vendors are using the more expensive capacitors in the gpu array.

• Titan_Awaken
    1344 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 21
    (Quote)
    Depending on the vendor,  Some cards run an array of cheap capacitors that result in a hard crash to desktop due to electrical noise.

Undervolting is the recommended fix for the issue as its not something card manufacturers are seeing as a problem. 

Currently only 2 ( 3 if you count the official nvidia reference cards ) vendors are using the more expensive capacitors in the gpu array.

In retrospect, it wasn’t necessarily due to “cheap vs expensive capacitor setups” but rather premature drivers. One of the new drivers has since fixed the issue with virtually no performance loss.

Before that, people with the ASUS TUF reported crashes even though the TUF had 6 MLCC arrays so it clearly wasn’t just a capacitor issue.

edit: Small grammar mistake.
    Post edited by Titan_Awaken on
  • IIMechatronikII
    231 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Netranger9 wrote: »
    (Quote)

I will not waste my time. Short. You know nothing..
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    454 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    My 1080TI gives me stable 162 FPS (hardcapped for 165hz g-sync monitor) with the 8700K on 1440p with low/med settings.

Seems like a waste of money in this regard if you are not playing in 4K or 240hz 1440p.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14502 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    My 1080TI gives me stable 162 FPS (hardcapped for 165hz g-sync monitor) with the 8700K on 1440p with low/med settings.

Seems like a waste of money in this regard if you are not playing in 4K or 240hz 1440p.
    I agree,  I mean,  Most people wanting to move to the 30XX cards are going to be wanting them for 4K or even 8K gaming  ( 4K res with 200% res scale in BFV would equate to 8K internal resolution which is hella crazy ) 
  • BeastofBourbon84
    754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yeah that's another good point.
    3080 seems almost overkill for my setup.

I'd "have to upgrade my display too for another 1k or something...

Better to just wait atm.
  • Toxic_CA
    958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

PC players:
    Lol console players cant play at super max ultra graphic settings plebs

Also pc players:

You're an idiot if you play on ultra
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    454 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Toxic_CA wrote: »
    (Quote)

PC players:
    Lol console players cant play at super max ultra graphic settings plebs

Also pc players:

You're an idiot if you play on ultra

Not exactly. OP asked for suggestions to improve visibility and one way to do that is to lower certain graphical settings i.e. not playing at ultra preset even if you can without sacrificing frames.
  • Hawxxeye
    7816 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Until about a month ago I was almost wetting myself from the desire to build a new and shiny PC but with all the delays and the other shenanigans, I am now giving it some more time.
  • Titan_Awaken
    1344 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Until about a month ago I was almost wetting myself from the desire to build a new and shiny PC but with all the delays and the other shenanigans, I am now giving it some more time.
    I mean Big Navi is practically right around the corner so you could give that a shot (if you want to of course).

The way Nvidia handled the Ampere launch was nothing short of a trainwreck.
  • fragnstein
    839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Maybe why your kd is so low, to worried about what qualifies as a noob
  • Toxic_CA
    958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    fragnstein wrote: »
    (Quote)

It's funny because I play on ultra yet my stats look better than his
  • StarscreamUK
    7573 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Keep people's kd out of this. It has nothing to do with the discussion.
  • Netranger9
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

I will not waste my time. Short. You know nothing..
    Of course your right as usual,lol.As it happens I have been building PCs since before you were born, I also have a PHD in computer science, and as a retired(medical reasons)captain of a 777,what did you say you did again??,yeah that's what I thought.Do keep your (WRONG) opinions to yourself before you embarrass yourself even more.
  • Netranger9
    Toxic_CA said:
    fragnstein wrote: »
    (Quote)

It's funny because I play on ultra yet my stats look better than his
    Yes maybe,BUT YOU HAVE 2 ARMS,DONT YOU?.Bloody fool.

• SunnyTheWerewolf
    (Quote)
    Yes maybe,BUT YOU HAVE 2 ARMS,DONT YOU?.Bloody fool.

You come across as very hostile - I'd recommend lowering it down a notch.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    I'd be mad too if I only had one arm.

Doesn't change the fact that undervolting doesn't necessarily lower performance and can be beneficial in other regards if you don't care that much about getting 140fps instead of 145.

Have a nice weekend guys.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    I'd be mad too if I only had one arm.

Doesn't change the fact that undervolting doesn't necessarily lower performance and can be beneficial in other regards if you don't care that much about getting 140fps instead of 145.

Have a nice weekend guys.

Still, I doubt any of the people on these forums are responsible for that.

Anyway, I agree that undervolting can increase your performance if otherwise your gpu would be thermal throttling.