Bad news for PS5 owners using Astro headsets

Greeny_Huwjarz
4550 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
According to Asrro - because there is a lack of optical port on PS5, you need to buy an an optical port adapter to be able to use your Astro Mix Amp on PS5. 

https://www.astrogaming.com/en-gb/products/accessories/cable-adapters/hdmi-adapter-for-playstation-5.html#943-000450

The alternative for wired headsets is ok - yiu can plug them into the controller,  BUT Ive just dine that and it sounds trash without the MixAmp processing the signal. The surrounding sound is much reduced (at least on BF1) and it somehow manages top sound too bassy AND tinny at the same time 

Needless to say the adapter (whish is required for the wireless sets) is sold out 'until after the new year' so its going to be a bit crappy for Astro owners.

I'd be spitting blood if I was on the exec team at Astro - how can they now be aware sooner that this is going to be required so they can made enough adapters? 

Presumably Sony did this on purpose to shift more units of their own own headsets.......

On tiger bright side, I can now confirm that the PS5 runs PS4 titles beautifully. The frame rate and extra fidelity that the PS5 brings is really something. The game looks and feels amazing. Much more like a PC experience. 

Comments

• OskooI_007
    1355 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sony's new Pulse 3D headset looks tempting for $100, but only work if the game implements Sony's Tempest 3D AudioTech.

Which I hear is ez for developers to implement into their games. Hopefully Battlefield 6 has Tempest audio, because it can play hundreds of sound compared to BFV which plays 20 sounds. Half the time they cut out and electric tanks sneak up on you.

I watched Microsoft's video on Xbox's 3D audio. I wasn't impressed. It requires game developers to 'bake' the audio ahead of time, using cloud servers, then importing that data into the game.

I don't think Sony's Tempest audio requires any of that. I think it's all calculated on the PS5 hardware in real-time. Much easier for game developers to implement into their games.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4550 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sony's new Pulse 3D headset looks tempting for $100, but only work if the game implements Sony's Tempest 3D AudioTech.

Which I hear is ez for developers to implement into their games. Hopefully Battlefield 6 has Tempest audio, because it can play hundreds of sound compared to BFV which plays 20 sounds. Half the time they cut out and electric tanks sneak up on you.

I watched Microsoft's video on Xbox's 3D audio. I wasn't impressed. It requires game developers to 'bake' the audio ahead of time, using cloud servers, then importing that data into the game.

I don't think Sony's Tempest audio requires any of that. I think it's all calculated on the PS5 hardware in real-time. Much easier for game developers to implement into their games.
    Ive not heard great feedback about the new Pulse headset - I think that @[email protected] one and has been underwhelmed.   

@OskooI_007 - I hear that the Tempest 3D will work with any 3D headset - but I still believe having tested today that I will get better results as an Astro user holding on and bringing my Mixamp back into play.

Is that what you understand? i.e. you can use any decent headset?
  • Yurisputnik
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I’ve got the Astro adapter, spare PS5 controller, PS5 charging dock... just no PS5 🙈
  • OskooI_007
    1355 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV uses Dolby 5.1 surround, so you still need the Astro Mixamp for it. But for games that have Tempest 3D audio, the PlayStation will mix the audio into a 2 channel stereo signal for any headphones to play.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    BFV uses Dolby 5.1 surround, so you still need the Astro Mixamp for it. But for games that have Tempest 3D audio, the PlayStation will mix the audio into a 2 channel stereo signal for any headphones to play.

That’s really helpful Oskool. Thanks for the expert clarification.

Another question if I may. I’m guessing that this means there are potential conflicts between using a mixamp and future titles with Tempest?

Ie. You might want t use the mixamp with older games like BFV, but take it out of the loop on newer games using Tempest? Or is it too early to tell?
  • OskooI_007
    There might be issues, but since Tempest audio outputs as stereo I don't see why there would be.