Forgot how fun Operations was

StLunaticNick
128 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I am typically almost always a Conquest player but last week or so been playing operations. I forgot how fun and equally frustrating this game mode can be. I was playing last night and I know the enemy team had players raging. So the enemy team were annihilating us all through St.Quentin Scar. Absolutely crushed the team I was on. I'm thinking to myself, "well this operation will be over soon and it's just going to be that kind of night" get to Amiens and much of the same. However the enemy team had a tougher time taking the sector's but still managed to push us back all the way to the final sector with still two attacks left.

Then the tables turned. On the final sector my team decided to get their act together. Long story short we held them for the win. They got their two armored train behemoths and couldn't manage to capture the final sector giving the team I was on victory. Was alot of fun but I know players on the other team were raging after going clutch for pretty much the whole game until that final sector lol. I have been there and I know how frustrating it can be to have almost certain victory just to get spanked in the last sector. Even worse for the enemy team was, their Top 10 outscored our top 10 on the scoreboard. It was a good game. Made me remember how fun operations can be. It's not over until it's over.

Comments

• Ronin9572
    1423 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Always been my favorite mode in BF1!
  • TheGM86
    939 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Operations > Walkquest
  • StLunaticNick
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    Always been my favorite mode in BF1!

I used to hate it. Thought it was Camp City capital of the world. In a way it is but it's more forgivable if you're the defending team. It's never forgivable in Conquest. Both game modes are fun but operations is gradually turning to my fave.
  • Forkbeard84
    1978 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Operations is a great mode.

Operations gives more linear play and your team works together more with everyone being focused on just one or two objectives.
  • SyfruitCamelia
    323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How do you force 32 players on one team to work together?

you force them down a smaller map area in a 3 lane highway chokepoint map design

Generally it's just explosive spammers and vehicle drivers at the top of the scoreboards
  • MogwaiWarrior
    971 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Was always a Rush player in BF until I started playing Operations. I couldn't imagine playing any other game mode. Operations is too much fun. Just the right amount of action and chaos that I like.
  • ronybaloney
    339 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm a 99% Conquest guy, but after reading this post I thought it was time to revisit Ops.

I played Devil's Anvil as the attackers and I did have quite a bit of fun. Operations has always been a little bit on the chaotic and stalemate-ish side for me, and I've always been confused about the scoring. I can get 3x the points playing a 25 minute round of Conquest than I can playing an hour of Ops. I realize there is a lot less flag capping in Ops but what gives with the low scores?
    For instance, my team conquered Verdun but were defeated after the first attack at de Vaux. I played as support and was getting tons of kills with my weapon and mortars. I was expecting a good score with 60 -70 kills or so ( I realize this probably sucks for most but is good for me) but my sore at the end of game was just north of 4,000 points and I only had 13/7 KD!!! Wuuuuuuut??!!  Needless to say I was PISSED! lol.
    Kinda thought to myself'; "guess this is why I never play Ops." I know it's silly, but felt really ripped off. :'(
    So guys, tell me, is scoring sometimes wonky in Operations? I mean, I swear, it didn't even count my score for the first map at all.
    Help?

• the_yakuza17
    217 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm a 99% Conquest guy, but after reading this post I thought it was time to revisit Ops.

I played Devil's Anvil as the attackers and I did have quite a bit of fun. Operations has always been a little bit on the chaotic and stalemate-ish side for me, and I've always been confused about the scoring. I can get 3x the points playing a 25 minute round of Conquest than I can playing an hour of Ops. I realize there is a lot less flag capping in Ops but what gives with the low scores?
    For instance, my team conquered Verdun but were defeated after the first attack at de Vaux. I played as support and was getting tons of kills with my weapon and mortars. I was expecting a good score with 60 -70 kills or so ( I realize this probably sucks for most but is good for me) but my sore at the end of game was just north of 4,000 points and I only had 13/7 KD!!! Wuuuuuuut??!!  Needless to say I was PISSED! lol.
    Kinda thought to myself'; "guess this is why I never play Ops." I know it's silly, but felt really ripped off. :'(
    So guys, tell me, is scoring sometimes wonky in Operations? I mean, I swear, it didn't even count my score for the first map at all.
    Help?

If you progress to the next map in the Operation, you don't see your score for the map just played. You still get credited the kills/points though for your overall stats. I agree it kind of sucks that you don't see your score to that point in between maps. 
  • ronybaloney
    Really?
    Wow, what kind of nonsense is that?? Surprised I haven't seen more complaining about that on this forum over the years.
    Thanks, that explains a lot.
  • Ronin9572
    Really?
    Wow, what kind of nonsense is that?? Surprised I haven't seen more complaining about that on this forum over the years.

That's why the came out with Shock Op's. You do 1 map and that's it, instead of 2 maps on Operations campaign.
  • StLunaticNick
    How do you force 32 players on one team to work together?

you force them down a smaller map area in a 3 lane highway chokepoint map design

Generally it's just explosive spammers and vehicle drivers at the top of the scoreboards

Not entirely. Sure they are there but in my experience the guy in a mortar arty truck or the Muromets pilot is not really helping the team whether defending or attacking. It's rare from my experience to actually see a tank push an objective in operations. In my opinion the biggest annoyance are the scouts and attack planes in most maps. But the number one hardest thing to combat in operations especially if you're the attacking team is players spamming smoke and incendiary grenades.

I was playing on Fort De Vaux the other night and my team just couldn't break through the 2nd to final objective. The defending team just kept throwing smoke grenades, incendiary grenades and everything else in choke points making it impossible to get around them. Came close a couple times to breaking them but they held and beat us.

But I digress. In my opinion the camping tank or any vehicle farming kills is rarely a game changer in my experience. So if I'm the defending team and see a tank sitting far outside an objective I usually ignore them. Sure they might get lucky and get me here and there but they still lose in the long run most times as the team I'm on steadily dwindles their tickets by eliminating attacking infantry.

Personally I play all classes. All depends on the situation and map and what my team needs. I have usually always stuck to conquest but been playing nothing but operations the last few weeks. Played tonight and won bvb every map I was on. Took MVP in a couple and got some highlights. Decimated the attacking team on Sinai using the armored train.

Knocked out a number of arty trucks, transport vehicles and a couple tanks driving the train. Even got plane by luck after it crashed into me. Didn't last forever but then again I make sure all my gun positions have the ability to shoot at the enemy which leads me more vulnerable to attack versus camping outsude of objectives where only my gun can hit the enemy. I hate it when I see a behemoth go to waste because the driver is only concerned with their kills while the rest of the guns on a behemoth cant shoot effectively. But it was awesome tonight as I could see all of my turrets laying down the hate lol. Operations is fun but equally frustrating sometimes when your team can't take or hold a sector.

I would say it's best to be the defending team but then again I've been on the defending team just to get steamrolled through every sector. All depends on how well the team you're on plays and works together.

At any rate, I ignore the vehicles camping and farming kills. Can't stop them from doing it so it's best in my opinion to ignore them and keep wasting infantry. Those tanks aren't capping anything so not really a threat overall. Annoying sure but not a game changer. The tanker pushing an A7 or assault tank into the area is threatening. When that happens hopefully your team is not all scouts and medics and has some assault and support players there to take that sucker out.

The tanker the managed 20 kills and 6,000 point's the whole round from camping outside an objective is nothing compared to the player getting 50+ kills and capping/defending objectives and banking 20,000+ points.
  • papahiroshima
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I started playing ops, for the battle packs, and I really started loving it. Its also an awesome gamemode to grind xp on.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4737 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Really?
    Yeah - you get loads of win bonuses (that are far greater than the conquest ones). One of the things i hate about Operations is that there are a LOT of players that team switch to boost the lovely win bonuses....
  • Forkbeard84
    1978 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Really?
    Yeah - you get loads of win bonuses (that are far greater than the conquest ones). One of the things i hate about Operations is that there are a LOT of players that team switch to boost the lovely win bonuses....
    Team switching is a skill.  :-)  This game kind of pushes you that way.
  • Ronin9572
    Team switching is a skill.  :-)  This game kind of pushes you that way.

Life is tough!
    Hehe!
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4737 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    One other thing.    A 2 KPM is WAY harder to achieve in conquest than than in operations. I guess that is why DICE reflect that in the skill rating......probably why players with a 1.49 KPM can way out skill players with far larger KPM’s reflecting the more concentrated game mode.  

DICE get some things right 😜
  • ronybaloney
    edited December 2020
    Really?

What kinds of win bonuses we talking about? Just points, or...........
  • ronybaloney
    So guys, seriously, what are these "win bonuses" you all speak of?
    I rarely play Ops, but when I do I'm always disappointed with the points I get for playing 45 min to an hour. I get tons more points playing a 20-25 minute round of Conquest. At the end of Ops you get a measly 1.25 or 1.5 bonus or something. Surely these aren't the wonderful win bonuses you guys talk of? Is it?
    Not trolling. Just want me some education. Thanks.
  • PackersDK
    942 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    So guys, seriously, what are these "win bonuses" you all speak of?
    I rarely play Ops, but when I do I'm always disappointed with the points I get for playing 45 min to an hour. I get tons more points playing a 20-25 minute round of Conquest. At the end of Ops you get a measly 1.25 or 1.5 bonus or something. Surely these aren't the wonderful win bonuses you guys talk of? Is it?
    Not trolling. Just want me some education. Thanks.

If you lose then the bonus is nothing, which btw I find absurd. But if you win the bonus can be up to 2.5 times your score. 

There are plenty of easy ways to get points in Ops. If the flag capture possiblities are slightly lower than other gametypes (and I’m not even convinced it is) then the clustered gameplay makes it a bonanza for medic and support class. 

I simply fail to see how you essentially can get half the score (per minuttes played) in Ops vs CQ, though obviously I believe you when you say so. Perhaps if you play defense the points can be harder to get? That is my experience anyway. 
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1180 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not forgetting the points from the first map are counted but that isn't made that obvious.

The better rewards are the campaign backpacks (I guess) that give chances to complete the melee weapons.