High rank players need to play together and leave lower rank players alone

Comments

• Lootussoturi
    246 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just needs a skill based matchmaker with new matchmaking system which replaces server browser.

• Select your region (matchmaker would prioritize latency)
    • Select preset (Core/Classic/Hardcore)
    • Select gamemode (Conquest large/Conquest small/Operations/TDM/Rush & Frontlines/Obliteration)
    • Select prefererred map (Will join on another one if not available)

SBMM would be the end of BF, higher skill players would be in ques for a way too long time, i mean where do you draw the line?
    10 minutes? 20 minutes? or even an hour ? we are talking for a system to find 64! players with equal or equivalent skills. how would you find 64 players on the same skill level as someone like the youtubers "enders" or "Stodeh" or are these players just not allowed to play anymore?
    what about players in regions with a significantly lower playerpopulation? they already struggle to have 5 servers running at any given time, now segregate them even further?
    how do you calculate the skill level of someone who uses nothing but planes easily going out with a KD of over 10 each round against someone who plays assault and gets a KD of 3, but the assault player has more then double his score? how do you calculate these things and make it playable and fair for all?
    what about playing with friends, i mainly play with a squad of at least 2 or 3 friends so we communicate more and thus place higher in the scoreboard compared to someone who play alone all the time? how do you put that into an algorithm?
    are platoon-mates who play with someone who is much more skilled just going to get put in lobbies way above their capabilities? or is the MM just not going to allow them to play?
    all the classes, load-outs  and vehicles are not going to work in a SBMM system how do you reward a medic who basically goes 0-4 but scores in the top 5? becasue he healed everyone and got a bunch of revives off and while on the point of revives a KD of 38-4 might look impressive but the guy who got these stat got revived about 10 times by said medic, so who is more skilled then? also maps are ofteh times not geared to your specific playstyle and preferences; sometimes they  have planes and vehicles sometimes they do not, some are way more open so a medic player who plays SMGs will struggle a whole l.ot more then the assault with a Semi-auto, or the sniper with the Panzerbüchse, or the support with a LMG. how to put these variables into a MM system ?
    instead why not have protected matchmaking for the first 5h of gameplay where you are put in with players who also might have just started? this again gives the issue of low population areas having much higer quetimes again sadly tough. or we could have a proper RSP where communities can be fostered and servers for "training" can be put up. or maybe just maybe the players you want out of your lobby due to them having higher rank and skill then you apparently have put in the time into their chosen game and should not be punished for playing a game they seem to enjoy as is atm. if i were to play CSGO or BF4 which i have not played in over 4 years by now should i then go into their community and demand they change so i can have more fun ? or should i just expect and coem to terms with players beign just better then me and just try my best to improve and have fun while doing so?
    i still remember vividly how i hated the medic weapons in BF1 at start. but after putting my time into them and learnig their rythm and which work on what maps better i adored them. practice makes better and no one ever mastered anything without failing a bunch before
    Matchmaker would become just a team balancer when there's less players playing meaning wider skill gap in match. It will also populate servers to be fully populated. I am not an algorithm maker so I don't know what variables it should take into account when judging the skill. Platoon mates/ friends of varying skill levels are allowed to play together just by squad joining on match so platoons/ group of contacts can't no longer stack players on same side more than number of squad members (4/5). We could have separate community servers which are out of this balancer for those who prefer tailored experience. On console community games are pretty dead so I expect most wouldn't bother with server browser anyway.
  • GrosPoilAuCul
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    Since the original suggestion mostly revolves around vehicles you could just get rid of a rank based unlocked system for vehicles. Get people to choose their loadout once they've selected the vehicle and have all loadout options available to everyone.
    Other than that an index of the mechanics and an end of round squad shuffle should help with balance and game knowledge. 

I don't see much point in rank based servers. I'm hopeless at flying things and can't get past the tutorial on rise of flight and that wouldn't be reflected by total level. For bf  I could really do with a camera on bombs to see what they're doing. People getting large kdr's from spawn by camping in vehicles doesn't mean they're good, they're barely playing. It's just bad design.

Proper squads who play together regularly would always do better than a squad of randomers too so infantry gameplay isn't really based on rank as much as the make up of both teams, which is why for me it should change regularly rather than staying static. Also "noob servers" would presumably get deader and deader as the game went on and fewer new players got the game potentially ruining the new player experience.

They do sell catch up mtx too though if you were really bothered.
    You're right, it is mostly about vehicles and how DICE screwed up by making ranking up the vehicles pure upgrades. Same with weapons. They did it right in BF1, and I don't know why they didn't keep it that way in BFV, but that was a huge fail. That's why I went back to BF1 and I'm having so much more fun because matches are a lot better. It's just a shame because BFV looks so much better.

I always play with squads when I'm playing by the way, I'm not a solo player at all, on the contrary. I can spend whole matches just running around as a medic reviving everyone I can even if my K/D is 1:10. Unfortunately, finding a good squad that actually uses VOIP is rare unless you're in a clan and I don't have that amount of time to dedicate to a group of players, so not for me.

That said, in case you didn't know, the Definitive Edition of BFV sold on Steam comes with all the base weapons fully unlocked, but none of the vehicles are and you can't buy catch up bundles for them. The free 10,000 company coins we got for xmas really helped though, I unlocked all of my common planes but the heavy corsair, and that made a HUGE difference (8x rockets and maneuverability, hello!), but I'm still matched against top rank players who just wreck everyone and that blows. Whenever I'm faced with 3 enemy aces at rank 200+ however, I just switch to another server because that ruins my entire fun. There's no point in even trying as they totally own the sky. It's like trying to race against pro formula one racers. You won't stand a chance and it's not even a fair challenge.

I can only hope DICE doesn't make the same mistake in BF6 and go back to the BF1 model, which was a whole lot better for many reasons!
  • GrosPoilAuCul
    Just needs a skill based matchmaker with new matchmaking system which replaces server browser.

• Select gamemode (Conquest large/Conquest small/Operations/TDM/Rush & Frontlines/Obliteration)
    You are missing a "Select with or without planes" :-:smile:
    You mean just like you can in BF1's server browser?
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

SBMM would be the end of BF, higher skill players would be in ques for a way too long time, i mean where do you draw the line?
    10 minutes? 20 minutes? or even an hour ? we are talking for a system to find 64! players with equal or equivalent skills. how would you find 64 players on the same skill level as someone like the youtubers "enders" or "Stodeh" or are these players just not allowed to play anymore?
    what about players in regions with a significantly lower playerpopulation? they already struggle to have 5 servers running at any given time, now segregate them even further?
    how do you calculate the skill level of someone who uses nothing but planes easily going out with a KD of over 10 each round against someone who plays assault and gets a KD of 3, but the assault player has more then double his score? how do you calculate these things and make it playable and fair for all?
    what about playing with friends, i mainly play with a squad of at least 2 or 3 friends so we communicate more and thus place higher in the scoreboard compared to someone who play alone all the time? how do you put that into an algorithm?
    are platoon-mates who play with someone who is much more skilled just going to get put in lobbies way above their capabilities? or is the MM just not going to allow them to play?
    all the classes, load-outs  and vehicles are not going to work in a SBMM system how do you reward a medic who basically goes 0-4 but scores in the top 5? becasue he healed everyone and got a bunch of revives off and while on the point of revives a KD of 38-4 might look impressive but the guy who got these stat got revived about 10 times by said medic, so who is more skilled then? also maps are ofteh times not geared to your specific playstyle and preferences; sometimes they  have planes and vehicles sometimes they do not, some are way more open so a medic player who plays SMGs will struggle a whole l.ot more then the assault with a Semi-auto, or the sniper with the Panzerbüchse, or the support with a LMG. how to put these variables into a MM system ?
    instead why not have protected matchmaking for the first 5h of gameplay where you are put in with players who also might have just started? this again gives the issue of low population areas having much higer quetimes again sadly tough. or we could have a proper RSP where communities can be fostered and servers for "training" can be put up. or maybe just maybe the players you want out of your lobby due to them having higher rank and skill then you apparently have put in the time into their chosen game and should not be punished for playing a game they seem to enjoy as is atm. if i were to play CSGO or BF4 which i have not played in over 4 years by now should i then go into their community and demand they change so i can have more fun ? or should i just expect and coem to terms with players beign just better then me and just try my best to improve and have fun while doing so?
    i still remember vividly how i hated the medic weapons in BF1 at start. but after putting my time into them and learnig their rythm and which work on what maps better i adored them. practice makes better and no one ever mastered anything without failing a bunch before
    Matchmaker would become just a team balancer when there's less players playing meaning wider skill gap in match. It will also populate servers to be fully populated. I am not an algorithm maker so I don't know what variables it should take into account when judging the skill. Platoon mates/ friends of varying skill levels are allowed to play together just by squad joining on match so platoons/ group of contacts can't no longer stack players on same side more than number of squad members (4/5). We could have separate community servers which are out of this balancer for those who prefer tailored experience. On console community games are pretty dead so I expect most wouldn't bother with server browser anyway.

so you literally just want the serverbrowser gone? this changes absolutely nothing but taking away any need for RSP or Community games because you can no longer selevt the ones you want...
    if you want skmm play an actual competetive game BF is not that, if you struggle against better players all i can tell you is to keep at it you will get better.

• GrosPoilAuCul
    X_Sunslayer_X said:

so you literally just want the serverbrowser gone? this changes absolutely nothing but taking away any need for RSP or Community games because you can no longer selevt the ones you want...
    if you want skmm play an actual competetive game BF is not that, if you struggle against better players all i can tell you is to keep at it you will get better.

Please... you know very well there's a huge difference between playing against someone that is just slightly better than you, and playing against a semi-pro player who does nothing else all day long and can eat you for breakfast. I like some challenge in a game, but there's a limit to how much smacking I can take before I don't find it enjoyable anymore.

We don't all play PC games at hard or hardcore difficulty levels you know, but playing against rank 200+ players when you're just starting to play the game can feel like it sometimes and that's not cool. If only it was only skill, we wouldn't complain as much, but it's not. The upgrade system adds to the bad experience as ranked up players have an even greater unfair advantage with ranked up vehicles and weapons compared to lower ranks.
  • Lootussoturi
    246 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Nope, community game section would be there for few players who want customised experience (it's dying feature apparently). They just won't get any traffic from matchmaker algorithm which is entirely separate part. Best features of server browser are build in matchmaker as you can see. It will change things on higher player populations which Battlefield should aim for :)
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    X_Sunslayer_X said:

Please... you know very well there's a huge difference between playing against someone that is just slightly better than you, and playing against a semi-pro player who does nothing else all day long and can eat you for breakfast. I like some challenge in a game, but there's a limit to how much smacking I can take before I don't find it enjoyable anymore.

We don't all play PC games at hard or hardcore difficulty levels you know, but playing against rank 200+ players when you're just starting to play the game can feel like it sometimes and that's not cool. If only it was only skill, we wouldn't complain as much, but it's not. The upgrade system adds to the bad experience as ranked up players have an even greater unfair advantage with ranked up vehicles and weapons compared to lower ranks.

true but then the issue is not with skill, but time played. and the ppl who still do play the wreckfdest BFV is and has been these past 2 years are the ones who have stuck with it trough all the bad so again why single them out for it?
    wouldn't it be just better to get rid of the upgrade system altogether then instead of making an already playerbase smaller for the better players?
  • X_Sunslayer_X

Nope, community game section would be there for few players who want customised experience (it's dying feature apparently). They just won't get any traffic from matchmaker algorithm which is entirely separate part. Best features of server browser are build in matchmaker as you can see. It will change things on higher player populations which Battlefield should aim for :)

well BFV most definitely did not achive what you would need for that and i doubt the next game will go smoothly unless it is a smashing hiot start to finish....
    and again SBMM is not the answer to bridge a skill-gap
  • trip1ex
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    iamwiener said:
    MintySSD said:
    I think an algorithm to split up clan players so they don’t bank all on one side for future BF games or one that mixes players side levels side before the game starts.

BF is not a lone wolf game. It is, and always has been, a game to team up for tactical gaming. Removing this by splitting up clans/friends will destroy one of the key elements of the game. Balancing is needed but not splitting clans/friends.
    No one said remove playing with friends.  WE just want a 2nd environment to play in  where the rounds are balanced per player using data to judge skill.   Rounds where the stack isn't on from the beginning.

That doesn't turn the game into a lone wolf game either.  That's  a falsehood.  IT's actually the opposite.  You'll have more teamplay because the other side won't be clearly stacked.  The way it is now, teams win  based more on  stacking than on teamplay.  

• X_Sunslayer_X
    trip1ex said:
    iamwiener said:
    MintySSD said:
    I think an algorithm to split up clan players so they don’t bank all on one side for future BF games or one that mixes players side levels side before the game starts.

BF is not a lone wolf game. It is, and always has been, a game to team up for tactical gaming. Removing this by splitting up clans/friends will destroy one of the key elements of the game. Balancing is needed but not splitting clans/friends.
    No one said remove playing with friends.  WE just want a 2nd environment to play in  where the rounds are balanced per player using data to judge skill.   Rounds where the stack isn't on from the beginning.

That doesn't turn the game into a lone wolf game either.  That's  a falsehood.  IT's actually the opposite.  You'll have more teamplay because the other side won't be clearly stacked.  The way it is now, teams win  based more on  stacking than on teamplay.  

so the average low level player in BFV which i have seen so far seem to play a lot of recon far away from any. while i can see them needing a somewhat save enviroment to learn the ropes SBMM is just not fesabile to benefit anyone in the long run, quetimes will increase to the point of beign unplayable.
    maybe instead a 10h protected server right where you can go to ? like training servers BF3 used to have for newer players. but then again this opens the door for smurf accounts
  • CrashCA
    1432 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And you expect this from EA/DICE, the EA/DICE that can not fix the recurring bugs

• ElliotLH
    9776 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    Not wanting to throw stones here, and I'm faaaaaarrrr from being a good player in anything but a plane anyway, but isn't playing against stronger players a good way to improve?
  • trip1ex
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    ElliotLH said:
    Not wanting to throw stones here, and I'm faaaaaarrrr from being a good player in anything but a plane anyway, but isn't playing against stronger players a good way to improve?

somehow the  5th grade Compton basketball team improves even though they aren't playing the LA Lakers.

At the same time, for some reason there aren't any 50 yr olds playing for the Lakers either. 
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    ElliotLH said:

i do see their point but the issue is not high level players.
    i think the issue is more due to the fact that the players still invested in BFV are just plainly better, clans tend to want to play together thus making clanstacks of 8 players and more rather common and the game beign asbolutely terrible in mixing loobies up like the scrambler in BF1 did for example. plus a lot of newcomers do not want to put in the effort to learn BFV and its unique mechanics. as a side note BFV is also far and wide the worst game to communicate said mechanics to the player and the small videos in the mene-screen are not for the most part older then a ywar and thus very much out of touch with the current game.
  • ElliotLH
    9776 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    somehow the  5th grade Compton basketball team improves even though they aren't playing the LA Lakers.

At the same time, for some reason there aren't any 50 yr olds playing for the Lakers either. 

Fair enough. I did think I might have been simplifying things too much. I guess if we look at it like that then there would be a benefit to keeping new players separate from everyone else, or make the practice feature in BFV mandatory and so on.

--
    i do see their point but the issue is not high level players.
    i think the issue is more due to the fact that the players still invested in BFV are just plainly better, clans tend to want to play together thus making clanstacks of 8 players and more rather common and the game beign asbolutely terrible in mixing loobies up like the scrambler in BF1 did for example. plus a lot of newcomers do not want to put in the effort to learn BFV and its unique mechanics. as a side note BFV is also far and wide the worst game to communicate said mechanics to the player and the small videos in the mene-screen are not for the most part older then a ywar and thus very much out of touch with the current game.

That's a valid point too as the matchmaking in BFV leaves a lot to be desired (I never use it as it puts me in empty servers usually) and the lack of balancing like we had in BF1 could be a big factor. The videos and so on aren't all that helpful either but at least that's easy to sort out next time around.

It's definitely a tricky topic, that's for sure.
  • Lootussoturi
    ElliotLH said:
    I don't think getting slaughtered by stronger players improves anyones experience or skill. Skill comes within time and as personal developement. I most certainly have improved slow and steady for 10 years of playing FPS games but what holds me back is that I consciously handicap myself a lot :)
  • trip1ex
    ElliotLH said:
    trip1ex wrote: »

Fair enough. I did think I might have been simplifying things too much. I guess if we look at it like that then there would be a benefit to keeping new players separate from everyone else, or make the practice feature in BFV mandatory and so on.

You're simplifying things too much.  IT's not just new players.  It's older players.  It's players who just aren't good at games.  It's players who just want to have fun and aren't looking to dramatically improve.   Players who can only play a few hours a week.   It's everything in between newbs and pros.  

• GrosPoilAuCul
    wouldn't it be just better to get rid of the upgrade system altogether then instead of making an already playerbase smaller for the better players? 
    Totally. If they do that and just make all planes and vehicles fully unlocked for everyone, then it would be much better indeed. Just like it is in BF1 actually.

I still think that a simple "newbie servers" for ranks 0-20 for example, would be a great addition to easy the intro for new players without getting totally slaughtered.