Why were the assignments never changed?

Hawxxeye
7962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2020
Of all the things people do not like in BFV, the disruptive assignments for masteries etc which ask for X kills in a life/round while under specific conditions like inside objectives etc are pretty much universally disliked.
Is it not weird that there was not even the slightest attempt to change  those assignments so they do not scream "make a community server with others and start killing each other in turns".

Comments

• X_Sunslayer_X
    1570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Of all the things people do not like in BFV, the disruptive assignments for masteries etc which ask for X kills in a life/round while under specific conditions like inside objectives etc are pretty much universally disliked.
    Is it not weird that there was not even the slightest attempt to change  those assignments so they do not scream "make a community server with others and start killing each other in turns".

if everything is on fire, it does not really matter anymore, and for me at least assignments were always more of a side-dish i gladly passed on in BFV unless they were actually fun to play
  • ElliotLH
    9776 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    It was very strange. They could have earned some easy brownie points with the player base if they'd changed the nastier ones. Even if they'd added back the so-called hidden assignment it would have been OK, grinding ain't no thing really.

My guesses about why they didn't change them are:

A. "You didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?"

B. Don't have the tech.

C. Way, way down the bottom on the priority list.
  • Hawxxeye
    7962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    ElliotLH said:
    It was very strange. They could have earned some easy brownie points with the player base if they'd changed the nastier ones. Even if they'd added back the so-called hidden assignment it would have been OK, grinding ain't no thing really.

My guesses about why they didn't change them are:

A. "You didn't think it'd be that easy, did you?"

B. Don't have the tech.

C. Way, way down the bottom on the priority list.
    I would really love to retort to A if they ever said it that it only takes 3 more people in community servers to make it really easy. But this should not be the only way to do it while retaining sanity.
  • ElliotLH
    9776 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I would really love to retort to A if they ever said it that it only takes 3 more people in community servers to make it really easy. But this should not be the only way to do it while retaining sanity.

No, no it shouldn't man.

I think the difficulty argument was hinted at before. Might be misremembering but wasn't their some talk of them wanting players to feel like they'd accomplished something?
  • Hawxxeye
    edited December 2020
    ElliotLH said:
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

No, no it shouldn't man.

I think the difficulty argument was hinted at before. Might be misremembering but wasn't their some talk of them wanting players to feel like they'd accomplished something?
    If finding someone to volunteer to take some deaths for them is an accomplishment  XD
    Even in the animal kingdom, when some flowers try too hard to restrict nectar access to only specific pollinators, other birds and insects start to breach the side of the flower to get to the nectar
  • Toxic_CA
    962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They're called a challenge for a reason....
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14675 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Toxic_CA said:
    See above,  Or did you kinda skim past the latter part of my post?

They should have made ALL of them so they could be done in Combined Arms solo.

Those "headshots in an objective area in one life / in one round" just promotes the opposite of what DICE intended when they added attrition..  teamplay.

The others "get x kills whilst attacking an objective" is easier to accomplish as long as the requirement is not "in one life / in one round",  those are troublesome to do.

I know the masteries are supposed to be a challenge,  But there's a difference between a challenge and an impossibility without folks boosting for them.

• Toxic_CA
    962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    See above,  Or did you kinda skim past the latter part of my post?

Did I quote you?
  • RipGroove99
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The assignments are pretty easy to complete in normal public servers. What is most annoying about assignments is the fact you can't change them mid game so every time you complete one you have to leave the server to go activate another one. This means you can't just chill and play with mates while also doing your assignments because you keep leaving the server every 10mins.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited December 2020
    Toxic_CA said:
    A "distraction" is a more fitting description than "challenge". They are also called assignments and not challenges.
    Considering that in actual gameplay the success of these masteries/profficienies depend more on your luck with the enemy than personal ability (unless one is stodeh levels of good), I think they are not even right to be called masteries and proficiencies.
    A proper challenge requires a CONTROLLED environment or it lacks consistency
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    I do believe the tech wasn't there for those to be changed.
  • OskooI_007
    1418 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2020
    Maybe DICE was afraid all the people who worked hard to complete those assignments might rebel if DICE suddenly made them easier for everyone else to complete.

Disclaimer: I hate assignments. They feel like work and don't feel like fun. I play video games to have fun.
  • fragnstein
    855 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 1
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    Maybe DICE was afraid all the people who worked hard to complete those assignments might rebel if DICE suddenly made them easier for everyone else to complete.

Disclaimer: I hate assignments. They feel like work and don't feel like fun. I play video games to have fun.

Didn't stop them from putting the game on sale a month after release. Didn't matter to EA how people would feel when others payed half of what some payed

Same goes for ttk change. Didn't matter what the community thought, they just did it anyways
  • OskooI_007
    1418 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a feeling those changes were pushed on DICE by EA due to BFV flopping and bleeding players left and right. In fact, so many changes were being forced on DICE that the Multiplayer Producer quit.

Hopefully BF6 will be more casual and fun to play than BFV.
  • Hawxxeye

DICE have proven they do not care about that though as they were fine with cheesing via combined arms and community games. As soon as anyone finds 3 more people to start a server with, all the assignments are doable.