"Re-vitalizing" old threads...

dA_9_eL_81
1937 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Dear Mods, 
I hereby want to thank you for your effort and hard work you put into these forums.
Not once in the past 4 years I have been offended by profanity or distracted by posts that could have been regarded as hurtful to my child-like mind.
I really do believe you dont get enough credit for how clean you keep these forums. :smile:

On a semi-serious note... Would it be ok for a period to re-vitalize some old threads (evil geniuses might call it necro´ing)? 
As the forums are pretty much dead it would be fun to find some old threads (3-4 years old) and have a look at them with "fresh" eyes and have a good laugh about them... 

Please consider this as some effort from the community to be able to keep these old rags alive! 

Comments

• Forkbeard84
    1990 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think there are too many fans of the necro around here.

I could see if some relevant, informative threads were necroed  responsibly it might be cool to revisit some of their content.    But  it doesn't usually happen like that.  You get so many users that bump irrelevant, ancient  threads.  Then we don't know its a necro thread  until we read the dates and often end up wasting  time.  I have seen necroed threads left open by the mods if they think the thread is still relevant.  So maybe we are good where its at?
  • PackersDK
    944 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 11
    I don’t really see the point of necroing old threads.

I doubt people will re-read, say 4 pages of posts in a 3 year old thread, because you have made a new one today. And if they do, chances are they will start quoting and responding to people who aren’t active any more. Either way, it is unnecessarily confusing and cumbersome way to restart a topic.

I’m not a 100% sure what you mean by having a laugh at them. That would inevitably be at someone’s expense.

If the topic is still relevant or you find it interesting, the obvious way to go is make a new thread. 
  • sendjes
    629 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Necroing is not allowed in these forums, and for good reasons.
    In doubt? Have a look:

• EA_Rtas
    538 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    In most cases it'll be better to just start up a new thread on the matter if the main discussion has been inactive for quite a long time. If in doubt whether it's been too long you can feel free to message me.
  • ronybaloney
    340 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Interesting topic.
    I've always been amused at the reaction of people to necro posts. I've never understood the collective hatred and shunning of them.
    Sometimes there are interesting topics that are a few years old. Who cares? Why all the indignation?
    Meh.

• PackersDK
    944 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Interesting topic.
    I've always been amused at the reaction of people to necro posts. I've never understood the collective hatred and shunning of them.
    Sometimes there are interesting topics that are a few years old. Who cares? Why all the indignation?
    Meh.

Hatred. Indigbation. Shunning.  

I don’t think emotions run that high when it comes to necroing. Restarting an interesting topic with the baggage of multiple pages, full of opinions from people who are no longer active, is simply unnecessary.

If the topic is interesting enough it really shouldn’t be an issue putting a few new sentences together so the thread is from this decade. 

But no, it is not a matter of life and death. Compared to what the world is going through at the moment, necroing a post on the BF1 forum is indeed ‘meh’ :-)
  • Forkbeard84
    1990 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Its sometimes interesting but most of the necroed threads are a waste of time. Meh, i dont really mind necros much either. At least they bring the illusion of new content to this relatively slow forum.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14679 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Interesting topic.
    Meh.

Most of the time,  The subject matter in a necro thread is usually a post regarding specific topics ( bugs / glitches / issues ),  They're usually not relevant anymore though due to patches and changes that have been made since the topic was originally opened.

Rather than dredging up old threads,  It's always far better to create a fresh thread with a fresh perspective rather than to revive threads that are long since dead.

Plus the rules are pretty specific and they do state necroposting is a "do not"
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1937 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I fully understand most of your points and also that Necro´ing per se is not allowed according to the rules.
    I was just re-reading some of the oldest post and stumbled upon a discusstion about which nades would be available in BF1 and the discussion made me chuckle... 

Just wanted to share some of the really old posts and how far we have come with the game ever since...

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/224/grenade-types#latest