Is casual, hobby level, yet fun gaming (still) aviable in Battlefield?

HateMyLife00
23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Title speaks for itself, every now and then I came back to Bf1, and I am just curious, if other people - who don't play every day, and rather use actually used guns for the given side than going for the god guns for each class - can enjoy themselves in late 2020 in the game.

Comments

• fisknyllet17
    1754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm trying to get 500 kills with every primary in the game (old mastery lvl in bf3) and I still enjoy myself.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4771 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm trying to get 500 kills with every primary in the game (old mastery lvl in bf3) and I still enjoy myself.
    Agreed. I took every gun to 1* and am now working on getting every medic gun (my preferred class to 100*). Certainly gets you out of the comfort zone. 
  • CSO7777
    2023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There aren't really "god guns" in BF1, in my humble opinion. Even the very first basic guns are ok to use, though unlikely to exactly match everyone's playstyle.

I think DICE actually did a good job in BF1 of keeping things balanced by making guns 'situational'.

Sure, some can be made very effective in many situations by skilled players, but BF1 allows 'noobs' to beat them if they have the right gun for the right spot.

A lot of 'experienced' players moan about bayonet charges and elite kits because it allows 'noobs' to get cheese kills.  Never understood the concept.  If you're so skilled, surely you will appreciate noobs still being a challenge in certain situation.  What is the point in playing if you can easily kill anyone, anytime, anyplace?

So... yeah if noobs can still get kills, then a 'hobby level' player can still have fun.

I've played for thousands of hours and some would call me a try hard, but I have service starred every weapon, gadget and vehicle for fun and solved easter eggs and all sorts of things and never worry about KD when there are objectives that are more fun and challenging.

I still play BF1 and still have fun and I'm still not a 'great' player. Anyone can have fun. (Just don't mess about when your team needs you - I tend to kick back when my team is assured of winning without me performing at 100% efficiency)
    I agree about the weapons most are useful in specific situations. But in reality some weapons are more situational than others and you can talk about good guns and 'lesser' good guns.

Personally I hate elite kits and bayonet charges. The problem is that you feel 'cheated' when getting killed by them, this makes the game less fun (we already have planes, tanks, arty trucks, shotguns and sniper-rifles in the game). And the bayonet charge has always had issues with the animation part, which makes it feel even more awful. Mechanics which are a button press and then a more or less locked animation, with a high chance of a kill is just a turn off. And there are often no challenge against these things, and that is probably why many players hate them. They are not skill-less, but simply overpowered in my opinion.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4771 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There aren't really "god guns" in BF1, in my humble opinion. Even the very first basic guns are ok to use, though unlikely to exactly match everyone's playstyle.

I think DICE actually did a good job in BF1 of keeping things balanced by making guns 'situational'.

Sure, some can be made very effective in many situations by skilled players, but BF1 allows 'noobs' to beat them if they have the right gun for the right spot.

A lot of 'experienced' players moan about bayonet charges and elite kits because it allows 'noobs' to get cheese kills.  Never understood the concept.  If you're so skilled, surely you will appreciate noobs still being a challenge in certain situation.  What is the point in playing if you can easily kill anyone, anytime, anyplace?

So... yeah if noobs can still get kills, then a 'hobby level' player can still have fun.

I've played for thousands of hours and some would call me a try hard, but I have service starred every weapon, gadget and vehicle for fun and solved easter eggs and all sorts of things and never worry about KD when there are objectives that are more fun and challenging.

I still play BF1 and still have fun and I'm still not a 'great' player. Anyone can have fun. (Just don't mess about when your team needs you - I tend to kick back when my team is assured of winning without me performing at 100% efficiency)
    Smart words from an intelligent BF veteran. The importance of allowing casual players to have fun (sometimes at teh expense of the top skill players) is hugely underrated. Great post. And OP - If you have never checked out @disposalist 's videos, then you should. I was over 400 hours and used one of his guides to learn new skills to play cavalry. I was rubbish at it still, but it was good to learn some new stuff......
  • Lootussoturi
    245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield 1 is propably most welcoming Battlefield game ever made but beware of battle hardened veterans. :)

I am highly positive about how randoms drops meds & ammo and do revives in this game. Maybe the secret is pure simplicity of those items and natural flow of game that there's little to no delay in them. Punishments in V and long supply times of 4 just are counter-intuitive to the fast gameplay tempo.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1667 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you're really into mAx iMmErsIf gaming to the point where you choose the historical gun for each faction then you're probably better off with a milsim, than the BF franchise
  • TEKNOCODE
    11616 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Jumped back in after a long break. I’m not a completionist at all, but have always wanted to 1* every weapon. Almost there and still having a blast.
  • PackersDK
    944 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It’s very difficult to answer whether you, the OP, will have fun or not. Even more so if you handicap yourself by weapon choices. But I’m going to say; yes you can. 

Funny btw how the derogatory mil-sim comments enters, just by mentioning use of faction weapons. Doesn’t even matter if the title says casual. 
  • bleachee
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There are a lot of new players right now and many hard core players are playing BFV so you can have fun playing casually right now. The only exception is if you're pitted against a clan/squad of friends or get a really imbalanced server. Team stacking is still a problem unfortunately.
  • HateMyLife00
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Thank you for the differnet kind of answers, personally I think the time for the casual, weekend gamer playstyle is mostly over in pvp games, and will slowly die out in multiplayer pve ones, since gaming is focused on competitive and tryhard play, measuring who is better, and even you don't give a damn about it, many of the people in your games will, wich creates a chasm in the playerbase. Imagine it like you doing any sport on an amateur level, and you have to play each time against a professional sportsman, this is how I feel in Battlefield, and other pvp games right now.
  • Lootussoturi
    245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you for the differnet kind of answers, personally I think the time for the casual, weekend gamer playstyle is mostly over in pvp games, and will slowly die out in multiplayer pve ones, since gaming is focused on competitive and tryhard play, measuring who is better, and even you don't give a damn about it, many of the people in your games will, wich creates a chasm in the playerbase. Imagine it like you doing any sport on an amateur level, and you have to play each time against a professional sportsman, this is how I feel in Battlefield, and other pvp games right now.
    Many games have tried to solve enjoyment issues with skill based matchmaking algorithm where game places opponents of similar skill level to same lobby. Battlefield has a freedom to choose on which server you want to play which makes this type of solution not working. It ends up making servers mixture of different skill levels. Proper teambalancer would ensure that not all high caliber players are on the same side.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In cod with heavy skill based matchmaking you might be right but in battlefield with 64 players (maybe more next game) casual is very much the target.
  • PackersDK
    944 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It’s hard to agree to something being over (casual gaming) when you are doing it weekly, and have been doing so for years. 

I’m casual to the point where I regularly return to a ‘kicked for being idle’-screen after being distracted by even minor things. Of all my spare time ‘hobbies’ (for lack of a better word) gaming is by far the one I take least serious. I’ve lost XP in the 100,000’s because my coffee got cold and I had to handle that particular problem.

I certainly do not hope casual gaming is dead, or I’m in trouble.
  • HateMyLife00
    PackersDK said:
    It’s hard to agree to something being over (casual gaming) when you are doing it weekly, and have been doing so for years. 

I’m casual to the point where I regularly return to a ‘kicked for being idle’-screen after being distracted by even minor things. Of all my spare time ‘hobbies’ (for lack of a better word) gaming is by far the one I take least serious. I’ve lost XP in the 100,000’s because my coffee got cold and I had to handle that particular problem.

I certainly do not hope casual gaming is dead, or I’m in trouble.
    I am not saying you can't play casually, but in my opinion, the aviabality of this gamestyle is questionable, if most of your gameplay is consist of humiliating, many time wtf deaths. It's just makes the experience rather frustrating and depressing than a chilling fun hobby playtime.
  • CSO7777
    2023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you get lucky, you play in a lobby with a lot of "low-levels newbies" and without any clans/platoons, then it can be a casual/relaxing experience.

But BF1 has gotten to the point, where the number of new players are low and the playerbase consists mostly of "BF1-vets". This makes the games less casual in general.

Go play BF4, that is really sweaty and not casual at all, at this point. Good for improving your skills perhaps, but not for relaxing and just taking it easy.
  • Swam1_Bam1
    27 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Title speaks for itself, every now and then I came back to Bf1, and I am just curious, if other people - who don't play every day, and rather use actually used guns for the given side than going for the god guns for each class - can enjoy themselves in late 2020 in the game.

I'm not an occasional player but rather a new player, and I can confirm it's a bit of a shame you're thrown in the game next to A-class players. So, if you don't mind ending each game with 0 to 9 KD ratio, it's fun enough to be hooked.

I mean, while the level of expertise in all servers seems to be pretty high, one must be hoping on improving, because it doesn't last when you end every single round in the bottom of the ranking.

It would make sense to have some servers with lower expertise, but then that may not work as there are no players to guide the game.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    Ronin9572 wrote: »
    Swam1_Bam1 wrote: »
    I'm not an occasional player but rather a new player, and I can confirm it's a bit of a shame you're thrown in the game next to A-class players. So, if you don't mind ending each game with 0 to 9 KD ratio, it's fun enough to be hooked.
    I mean, while the level of expertise in all servers seems to be pretty high, one must be hoping on improving, because it doesn't last when you end every single round in the bottom of the ranking.
    It would make sense to have some servers with lower expertise, but then that may not work as there are no players to guide the game.

Well I understand there's a steep learning curve, but it is a 4+ yr old game. Plus ppl can just have multiple accounts and just be low level to play with new players. Player count just got a little boost on PlayStation because BF1 being F2P on PS5. I do understand your frustration, been there before. When I started playing BF1 it had been years since i had played FPS and I was terrible. Not that I'm much better, average at best. It takes time to learn the mechanics, weapons, and maps. Having a headset is helpful but not necessary. Just keep with your squad mates the best you can. Use the medic so you can heal yourself and help out others when ever you can. Than maybe once you get used to it switch to support or assault. Try not to get frustrated and do the best you can. It's a great game and definitely one of the best shooters I've played. Good luck!

That’s an excellent post. Full of good advice.
  • Forkbeard84
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ronin’s advice is spot on and I played a lot of support and medic in the beginning too, not really killing much but learning how to support, spot, capture objectives and make points

Another thing I did (because i really sucked in the beginning) was focus on using tanks until I got to know the maps, tactics and user interface. You dont really need high twitch skills for tanks. Anyone with patience and experience can get good in them.

Same thing when the behemoths pop up, jump in them. Its a good way to learn the basics of the game and get a few kills.