Remove proximity spotting

TrueWebby
160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited February 17
Just looking at an enemy if close shouldn't give them a big red icon, i miss hiding in bushes, long grass mud etc. Needs to be removed.

Comments

• X_Sunslayer_X
    1579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just looking at an enemy if close shouldn't give them a big red icon, i miss hiding in bushes, long grass mud etc. Needs to be removed.

because we need to return to that BS playstyle where every aggressive player gets punished for trying to move inbetween objectives, no thanks
  • TrueWebby
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

because we need to return to that BS playstyle where every aggressive player gets punished for trying to move inbetween objectives, no thanks
    Having the option to hide in a bush or mud if you feel like 10 guys are around you is a good tactic. Don't be short sighted codder
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Having the option to hide in a bush or mud if you feel like 10 guys are around you is a good tactic. Don't be short sighted codder

you do remember the time when MMG-Capmers 100m away from any objective were rather common to see, doing absolutely nothing but farming kills and then throwing a hissyfit whenever they died or lost a round? i do very vividly, you can still hide in bushes, until someone looks at you or you move, then you get spotted and die.

• iamwiener
    436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Is that proximity spotting actually indicated as "you are spotted"? Of course, I sometimes try to hide when an enemy squad is advancing my position (an over-aggressive open fight in a 1v4 situation would be plain stupid). But often they seem to know my location without the "you are spotted" indicator or any movement that could give away my position.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    iamwiener said:
    Is that proximity spotting actually indicated as "you are spotted"? Of course, I sometimes try to hide when an enemy squad is advancing my position (an over-aggressive open fight in a 1v4 situation would be plain stupid). But often they seem to know my location without the "you are spotted" indicator or any movement that could give away my position.

as far as i know the proximity spot works within like 0-15ish meters and it does not indicate it for you , the way it works (again as far as i know) is if their crosshair hovers over you you get the old dorito spot above your head, it works trough bushes, trees and smoke
  • Hawxxeye
    8039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    the proximity thing can sometimes show you through the smoke too
  • losthunter340
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the spotting system that we have in BF5 then other titles
  • KPNuts74
    784 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like a requirement for people who like to play in a very cynical way.
  • losthunter340
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Acually, you need to be really close + looking at an enemy for them to have an icon on them and if I look in a bush I dont use to get an icon in there if there is a player in there, he is probably spotted for you or the enemy to see you in there and then the spotting shows really easy yes, just like it should be.

If someone suppresses you, you get spotted.
    Flare or that sight snipers have spots you. "duh"
    Also tank spec can make you spot enemies aswell.

Maybe there is more that I have forgotten about now.

Anyway, if we take away all of the above, if you run into a bush becuse you hear someone in there and try to look around for them I never use to get an icon on them befor I acually see them and due to the fact that you need to be so close up to an enemy to just get an icon obove them I dont see the problem here at all, I see many players hiding in bushes/mud areas and are good hidden.

Imo you can twist this around and say that you dont want to make any noises when you are in a bush when you looking around, I was in a tank on Wake island yesterday on B and needed to go back to C to refill ammo, on my way to C I hear something in a bush, no friendlys nearby so I shoot a shell in the bush and killed him, no icon or so when I looked into the bush but thanks to the sound I could get him.
  • iamwiener
    436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No spotting was my prime reason for playing hc only on previous BF titles. The most annoying spotting atm for me is, that it feels like 1/3 of all used guns can spot you just from shooting in your direction. Very annoying to see that any n00b with bad aim can look you down for several seconds because the dorito makes you an easy mode target.
    Can anybody confirm, if proximity spotting is/isn't indicated with "you are spotted"?
  • losthunter340
    iamwiener said:
    No spotting was my prime reason for playing hc only on previous BF titles. The most annoying spotting atm for me is, that it feels like 1/3 of all used guns can spot you just from shooting in your direction. Very annoying to see that any n00b with bad aim can look you down for several seconds because the dorito makes you an easy mode target.
    Can anybody confirm, if proximity spotting is/isn't indicated with "you are spotted"?

Its not making you "you are spotted".
  • spychodelics
    477 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 17
    iamwiener said:
    It is not! It was a client side only thing to improve visability. But you really need to see way to much enemy for it to appear most of the time.
    They also assured us it will not client spot thru smokes and objects, but it does. 

And btw i really dislike it too when people shoot thru a thick smoke because a sniper can see you from another angle.
  • tempo_rarity
    1471 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    See , I didn't know about this 'crosshair spotting' at all , so I'm a little embarrassed of my ignorance of this .
    Plus , there's never been a warning when these 'psychics' have struck me , so I've saved some embarrassment by not calling them out (much) .

An Embarrassment Balancing Act , for me , plus a thought-of-as-unfair-playing-'situation' just got a lot more-equitably-played , for the Game .
    So , an all around good morning to you too  :)
  • Hawxxeye
    8039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 17
    See , I didn't know about this 'crosshair spotting' at all , so I'm a little embarrassed of my ignorance of this .
    Plus , there's never been a warning when these 'psychics' have struck me , so I've saved some embarrassment by not calling them out (much) .

An Embarrassment Balancing Act , for me , plus a thought-of-as-unfair-playing-'situation' just got a lot more-equitably-played , for the Game .
    So , an all around good morning to you too  :)
    Of the  the biggest flaws  of the BFV games that I have played so far is that they take third party sources for granted and do not have a compendium of all their features.
    For example it took others to tell me  months after release that while bleeding out I can still put 3D markers in the area where I see the guy who killed me at.
  • AmosBurton_GER
    996 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 17

If your "agressive" movement will bring you to a flag where you need to survive against a majority of strong enemies, you might learn to welcome the opportunity to hide from them until your backup arrives - without your position being revealed by some magical spotting icon over your head.
    The spotting flares are disrupting enough already - proximity spotting is too much. It punishes tactical thinking (yes, hiding can be a tactical move) and encourages dumb rushing without thinking.
  • X_Sunslayer_X

If your "agressive" movement will bring you to a flag where you need to survive against a majority of strong enemies, you might learn to welcome the opportunity to hide from them until your backup arrives - without your position being revealed by some magical spotting icon over your head.
    The spotting flares are disrupting enough already - proximity spotting is too much. It punishes tactical thinking (yes, hiding can be a tactical move) and encourages dumb rushing without thinking.

that has nothing to do with aggressive, that is just suizide, aggessive yet calculated, but how can you move like that if you have to 2nd guess every bush, corner puddle or patch of grass? this spotting literally only works in extreme CQC its not like i can do that across the map.

• AmosBurton_GER
    996 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 17
    ... but how can you move like that if you have to 2nd guess every bush, corner puddle or patch of grass?

You leave me a little bit dazzled and speechless with this question and I wonder if you are just joking? Not to get seen (being able to find cover or hide) is an ESSENTIAL part of this game which already is severely compromised by the many ways to batch-spot. And ambush is an ESSENTIAL element of war. Yes, I am often annoyed by campers, too, but after being killed by them it's part of the fun to find (and then kill) them. I even despise the kill-cam.

I really hope that BF6 will again have a decent hardcore mode from the start. I do not need the fast TTK, but I definitely need to have switched off all these gadget which take the fun out of the game. Just moving and shooting doesn't satisfy me.
  • AmosBurton_GER
    edited February 17
    Had to think of this one all the time while I was writing my answer :D:D:D:smile:
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    ... but how can you move like that if you have to 2nd guess every bush, corner puddle or patch of grass?

You leave me a little bit dazzled and speechless with this question and I wonder if you are just joking? Not to get seen (being able to find cover or hide) is an ESSENTIAL part of this game which already is severely compromised by the many ways to batch-spot.

well the way spotting works in BFV is a very passionately discussed topic, love it or hate it. the proximity spotting was initially put in to combat the literal plauge of ppl camping, shifting the flow of the game towards reactionary gameplay i.E "he who moves dies" because he will be seen first. i still remember the times where MG42 lying in a crater would make entire pushes redundant because he can mow down half a squad before anyone new from behind due to how poorly visibility was.
    is this system perfect no not even close, was the way it was in BF1 or BF4? also no do we need the auto spotting in BFV yes.
    there is a difference between hiding and just going prone  and let the map-clutter win you gunfights. on a different note, in BFV DICE did tweak the selfilumination over a year back to make ppl less inclined to use the said graphical clutter in order to take advantage of low TTK weapons to win gunfights instead of actual aim and skill