Please remove/reduce the auto rotation (snap on) aim assist from console for BF1.

ItsxFatal1ty
11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Writing this here since I couldn't find the other one that was up and after a recent discussion with the devs on twitter I was told to take it to the forums. I simply ask that, as stated in the title, auto rotation or "snap on" aim assist be removed or significantly reduced for console in Battlefield 1. I simply can't understand why something like this is in the game. Why is there a system in place that will literally position your aim on an enemy for you? I understand the controller is supposed to be this severe disadvantage, but enough to where you essentially have an aim bot come with the game? No. I have been playing Battlefield 4 from the start and have had auto rotation disabled for nearly 2 years now and have had absolutely no issues with out it. Feel free to browse through every one of my stats if you'd like, all of them are from auto rotation disabled, and I've performed just fine without it. So why is it if I am able to do it, as well as my entire platoon, that it is still needed?

I have participated in several "competitive" matches in this game during its life cycle and witnessed countless more. Yes, I know, "competitive" in BF4 on console how funny... I've literally seen players and teams refuse to play without auto rotation enabled, because they rely on it so much, it aims for them and they never developed the skill needed to play without it. These players simply repeatedly pressed their left trigger (The aim button) in the middle of the gunfight and the game would keep them on target the entire time. Now how is that fair? If the system was simply in place to help people just "get on target", is it not an exploit that repeated aiming will keep you on target the entire time? True, a controller is more difficult than a mouse to use in a FPS, but if I were to struggle on PC with aiming and firing accurately I would have two options. I would either have to stick it out and develop the skill needed to fire accurately, or I would use a program that did it for me, an aimbot. On console the game essentially ships with an aimbot like this. You insert your disc, install the game, hop into multiplayer and aim in the general direction of a player and the game will put you on target for you.

According to the developers a poll was ran and the amount people that agree this type of auto aim was far too much were "in the vast minority". I simply refuse to believe this, and even if its true, perhaps its because they are in fear of you taking away their crutch. I am a very competitive person, so I am biased in my opinions that a skill gap should exist, and it should be as large as possible. However, when it comes to auto rotation I think everyone should be able to agree it is cheap, it is a crutch, and it doesn't need to exist. People will obviously have their own counter-opinions to this, but I can only imagine a large part of those that defend it are lazy and do not wish to develop the skill needed to aim, or simply are not capable of doing so. There were countless other FPS games on console that removed things like auto rotation, yet it remains in Battlefield.

Now people will certainly disagree with this and hopefully a lot of people will actually agree with this but I would love to hear why auto rotation needs to exist. Other than you are simply incapable of learning to aim, not willing to aim, or severely lacking the skill necessary to be successful in a game like this why would it be needed. It is a clear cut advantage, if you put two players of similar skill levels against each other, one with auto rotation on, one with it off, the one with it on will have an immense advantage. The one with it enabled just aims within a set radius of the character model (it is a surprisingly large radius) and the game will immediately put him on target, whilst the player with it off has to possess the skill to aim the weapon without the game doing it for him, as it should be. To be clear, I am not against aim assist SLOWDOWN, I understand its function and I am not opposed to it, as it doesn't autonomously perform an action for you. Auto rotation on the other hand, the game is literally aiming for you, its putting you on target. Most would consider this a cheat, as its function is to something in place of the player having to perform said action.

This is a great example of auto rotation. Although both characters are standing still so it appears more severe in this case, the question remains. Why does something like this exist? Why are you performing actions for the player. I understand you could argue this isn't an advanatage considering everyone has the ability to enable it. However, if a player decides to disable it the advantage the other player has is obvious. I simply wish to see a game in which the players skill determines his success in the game, as the majority of all other FPS shooters do, not a program within the game designed to give an advantage to the player using it. https://media.giphy.com/media/l0MYLV3oT8lcRIHDO/giphy.gif

Comments

• 68Keif
    4628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't care if they remove/nerf it, but I don't see a problem with it.
  • NZepica
    1039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Didn't read the whole post, but I do get the idea. I don't play with auto-rotation either, mainly because it screws me over more often than it actually helps, and my aim is just fine without it anyway. The slow-down part should be kept as an option IMO, but I don't really care what they do with the lock-on part.

In BF4, I don't think it's strong enough to be considered an "aimbot" of sorts, but it is strong enough to help newer players, or players with worse than average aim, which I don't mind too much personally.
  • monkChuck105
    286 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Aim Assist needs to be toned down, and should simply help steady your aim not turn you to face your opponent in close quarters or snap onto their body from above their head.

I do think that there is more potential than before for disabling AA to be rewarding, since unlike Destiny (where you can't turn it off), it snaps to the body and not the head. So when you disable AA, you it's easier to aim for the head, potentially winning gunfights.

The main way to abuse AA is to use a shotgun, and aim in close quarters. This snaps your aim right to the center of your target, guarantying a kill. What should happen is AA should be neutered on shotguns, and reduced on targets relatively close to you. Targets at optimum range (just inside max damage range) should grant the most AA, with less at other ranges. That means that players using their weapon the way it's intended will be rewarded for that, but high skill players will have much more flexibility.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Agree.
    It´s a shame a gamemechanic like this is in a FPS. They can keep slowdown but auto-rotation is just stupid to have.
  • owltro
    3356 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Keif68 wrote:
    I don't care if they remove/nerf it, but I don't see a problem with it.
  • Tirant65
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Consoles need auto-aim because of their intrinsic difficulty to aim (thumb vs entire arm). Anything that reduces the skill gap is a good thing. And this is coming from a console player who actually knows what he's doing.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2016
    Tirant65 wrote: »
    Consoles need auto-aim because of their intrinsic difficulty to aim (thumb vs entire arm). Anything that reduces the skill gap is a good thing. And this is coming from a console player who actually knows what he's doing.

You maybe know what you are doing, but with your amount of vehicle kills you are nothing special. And NO it´s not hard to aim with the controller. Even I can do it who started to play console on PS4..
  • NZepica
    1039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It is actually harder to be completely accurate and precise with a controller than a mouse and keyboard. Not sure how him having lots of vehicle kills matters in this convo anyway.
    eSyn-exor wrote: »

You maybe know what you are doing, but with your amount of vehicle kills you are nothing special. And NO it´s not hard to aim with the controller. Even I can do it who started to play console on PS4..
  • InterceptorG
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Anyone who thinks this is ok, needs to check himself.

giphy.gif
  • g3a3stevo
    265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I'm sure there will be option to turn off...Now if they had keyboard/mouse support for console's then I would be happy
  • RosscoSan
    769 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'd agree with toning it down a lot! But taking it away completely will alienate some of the people who use it, but have K/Ds of like 0.50, I'd feel really bad for those guys.

I turn off both rotation and the slow down, it helps me because I hated when you were aiming at someone and another person would run past them and it would drag your aim off the person you needed to kill. I also feel not having it on helps when you are leading your target, when you lock onto them you have to fight to aim ahead of them otherwise your bullets land behind the target, so people like me without aim assist have an advantage in those two situations. I've also noticed I get a lot more headshots than I used to :)
    Consoles need auto-aim because of their intrinsic difficulty to aim

I have auto-aim turned off and I play just as well or better than I did when I had it on. Consoles don't need it.
  • Kirk40k
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2016
    It won't be removed, but it should be. I usually use LMGs and they don't benefit from aim assist. You just pretty much have to get used to aiming on your own.
  • SWE-Androctonus
    553 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It is fair if everyone can do it.
  • DofDk
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It is fair if everyone can do it.

Might be fair yes, but where is the challenge? A game that aims for me. wow...
    Maybe it should also walk, strafe, jump for me. Maybe only with quick time events?

I know I overdo now. But I feel like developers downgrade our competences with helping tools like AA. Not that they say it, but it feels like: you console gamers are stupid, you can't develope skill, we help you.

• KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If it's any consolation op, the trigger spamming bug was fixed in bf1. The devs need to improve the system further though.
  • ProLegion_exor
    NZepica wrote: »
    It is actually harder to be completely accurate and precise with a controller than a mouse and keyboard. Not sure how him having lots of vehicle kills matters in this convo anyway.
    eSyn-exor wrote: »

Of course its easier with MnK. I responded to that he stated consoles need AA due to inability to aim. Then he claim to be good. No he´s not since his stats are quite avarage for an player who is using vehicles for 10-15% of his kills.
  • Monk3hman
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I heavily agree with this man
    It'll show us who's actually good at the game, and than relying on their Aim Assist

I've had auto rotate disabled for a long time now, and even played the Beta for BF1 without it
  • Shadders_X
    415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Hi,
    Yes agree all auto aim, rotation, must be removed from the game as it is essentially cheating.
    They won't do this though.
    1. Making the game easier to play generates more revenue, since more people will play it.
    2. To capture the COD share of the market, making it easier will help achieve this.
    The poll that resulted in more people wanting to keep it is essentially the evidence that they will use to keep aim assist etc. This indicates to DICE that if they removed it, significant people would be unhappy, and hece will result in a loss of sales. They have already emulated COD to get more sales, so the removal of aim assist etc., will not occur.
    Regards,
    Shadders_X.
  • DofDk
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Shadders_X wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes agree all auto aim, rotation, must be removed from the game as it is essentially cheating.
    They won't do this though.
    1. Making the game easier to play generates more revenue, since more people will play it.
    2. To capture the COD share of the market, making it easier will help achieve this.
    The poll that resulted in more people wanting to keep it is essentially the evidence that they will use to keep aim assist etc. This indicates to DICE that if they removed it, significant people would be unhappy, and hece will result in a loss of sales. They have already emulated COD to get more sales, so the removal of aim assist etc., will not occur.
    Regards,
    Shadders_X.

Thats what I think too.
    They keep it for the sake of keeping and extending the playerbase which is bigger on consoles than on pc.
  • PsychoBug
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm of the opinion that unexploitable aim assist often messes me up rather than helps. Destiny was a good example. Constantly missing targets due to being yanked away.

Same thing happened to me at times in the bf1 beta.

One possibility would be to include a server option.

Also, I keep seeing people say they played bf1 without aim assist but I've been unable to find an option to disable it in the controls. Am I missing it?

*edit* I found it