ATTN DICE: Dynamic weather - Fog

Comments

• KDNS
    450 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    KDNS wrote: »
    I dont hate it. It makes things a little more challenging

It cripples vision and the spotting mechanic and long range engagement, for most of the game. I'm guessing you play hardcore and don't snipe or fly or drive a tank.

Reports of the foggy dynamic weather sound exactly like the sandstorm. There may be exceptions, but the sandstorm is generally widely accepted as being horrible.

That is the point... lol

Change how people play. Adapt... or just get good people, jeez

You've missed the point. The problem is not that it changes gameplay. That's a good thing. The problem is that it cripples game mechanics, and cripples them in a manner that provides an advantage to some players and a disadvantage to others (eg aircraft are negatively effected but assault keep playing as normal), and forces *everyone* to play the same way. It creates a boring situation where everyone has to run the same gear (remember FLIR+smoke?) and breaks balance (see: effect on aircraft vs assault players)

I like how you completely missed the point and then took the opportunity to attempt to imply that players who can see the fault in this mechanic (like the guy with >4000 hours of gameplay who hears EVERYBODY complain about the Oman sandstorm EVERY time) are just not "good". You're acting like the kids on this forum.

Mate, how can you say it breaks balance and use air vs assault players as an example?

What have assault players ever done to air?

The fog causes NO disadvantage to assault players (who are runngun CQB anyway)
    The fog causes GREAT disadvantage to air, recon, etc.

This is not about assault vs air. This is about (fog vs assault) vs (fog vs air).

I love how I experience >4000 hours of listening to people complain about the stupid storm, then a vocal minority gets on here and makes it look like people thought the storm was OK. They don't. You guys who don't mind the storm, are the vast minority.

• SS142
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I love how people presume the mechanics of dynamic weather are the same as BF4 and rant and rave for their particular view point !

Any sane person would wait until the beta was released then post their comments, instead of presuming with no factual basis on how BF1 will actually play.

KDNS pull your head in, I doubt you have over 4000 hours in BF4.

If you do then get a life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Loqtrall
    12069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Love sniping in the sandstorm.

• HomicideJack
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    T0TALfps wrote: »
    Fog is brilliant to be honest, and so is the sand storm seen in Gulf. It changes the dynamic of the match on a different scale than what any other bit of levelution did - It changes it up so you actually have to think a little bit, stop camping up on that crane, be more cautious flying about.

Fog is life.

No kidding. I avoid getting into a jet whenever I come across that map because I always end up smacking into whatever I'm shooting at because it's hard to judge distance with the sand blowing. On a side note, a sand storm that like that kill any form of air vehicle due to engines clogging.
  • KDNS
    ****142 wrote: »
    I love how people presume the mechanics of dynamic weather are the same as BF4 and rant and rave for their particular view point !

I'm not presuming anything. The nature of the fog was explained in detail on youtube (by jackfrags IIRC... I've watched a lot of BF1 videos)

Nor am I ranting and raving, nor is this about my particular iewpoint. I'm reporting the viewpoints of other players, as I said. L2read.
    Any sane person would wait until the beta was released then post their comments, instead of presuming with no factual basis on how BF1 will actually play.

The point of the post is to get dice to fix the fog as it exists now, before the game is released.
    KDNS pull your head in, I doubt you have over 4000 hours in BF4.

Pull your own head in noob. Check my profile.
    If you do then get a life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm disabled. I play a lot of xbox to keep my mind busy since I can't do much else from the confines of this room.

Check yourself, fool.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    964 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is not BF4, this is not in the same era. Don't talk about changing game mechanics. There will be no FLIR or INRV or special optical see through the fog add-on. This is WW1 kids. You can't rely on your high-tech gadgets and DICE want to make the environment as realistic as possible. We understand your concerns but don't compare this with what you have now. It doesn't "cripple the game mechanics" only if you rely on those special gadgets. You will learn to overcome the fog and any environment. Everyone will have the same problem so even playing field. Don't keep referring to FLIR and SMOKE, there wasn't any smoke bombs used in WW1 to the best of my knowledge. The poison gase will do the same thing -you won't be able to see much and you will have to put on your gasmask and your vision will be limited.

I want environmental changes in the game. It creates a more realistic atmosphere. Even dawn and dusk conditions would be something to look forward to if implemented.
  • KDNS
    OMG it's gonna take me so long to point out all the errors in that post.
    This is not BF4, this is not in the same era.

How is era relevant?
    Don't talk about changing game mechanics.

Why not? They were broken and almost universally hated in BF4 and they're coming back for this game. Why would I just sit back and let that happen?
    There will be no FLIR or INRV or special optical see through the fog add-on.

So what? how is that relevant to anything I've said? Even without FLIR/thermals, the fog will force players into close range combat. In fact, without the FLIR/thermal optics, this is more true than ever. The lack of FLIR/thermal only serves to prove my point.
    This is WW1 kids.

I tell you what, how about you be condescending *after* you L2read?
    You can't rely on your high-tech gadgets

Did you just come here to cry about FLIR?
    and DICE want to make the environment as realistic as possible.

They've said on hundreds of occasions that this is not the case. You're wrong.
    We understand your concerns

Who's this "we"? And no, by your own post you clearly do not understand even a fraction of what I've said.
    but don't compare this with what you have now.

Why not? They're clearly similar mechanics.
    It doesn't "cripple the game mechanics"

It absolutely does. For example it prevents spotting. You're wrong.
    only if you rely on those special gadgets.

Why are you crying about FLIR again?
    You will learn to overcome the fog and any environment.

I can overcome it now. That doesn't mean it's balanced or fun or popular. It is none of those things.
    Everyone will have the same problem so even playing field.

No, as I pointed out above, the problem effects some players more than others. You're wrong.
    Don't keep referring to FLIR and SMOKE,

I mentioned it once. I don't "keep referring to it". You've referred to it three times as much as me already in your one post.

The reference to FLIR+smoke was nothing to do with What you're talking about. You've *completely* misunderstood. I clearly used FLIR+smoke as a reference to DICE's preference for avoiding game mechanics which encourage all players to run the same loadout. FLIR+smoke did that, and they patched it out. It will do the same to BF1 in this state.
    I want environmental changes in the game.

Same.
    It creates a more realistic atmosphere.

Balance > realism.

Besides, there's nothing unrealistic about fog not being present in higher altitudes hills for snipers, air for planes, etc) nor is there anything unrealistic about fog lifting before the round ends.
  • BirdyBallzzzz
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I actually love the fog, really changes the way you play, and it's dynamic, so that's a good thing (plus it looks cool).

I think it's balanced since you have multiple weather conditions. For example; if you're being shot all the time by a sniper or a aircraft preventing you from taking the objective, the fog can give you a temporary advantage.

Some people might need to adjust to this feature, but it's a new game so you need to learn to adapt to it.

Features like these make me excited about this game, it feels refreshing and new. Sure people will dislike this, but we haven't even played the game yet. We still have the older BF's that we can play.

Maybe there will be server options to toggle it for the ones that are really bothered by this..?

After all it's a new game, what fun would it be if they didn't innovate with features like these.

• DingoKillr
    3723 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2016
    I think it's balanced since you have multiple weather conditions. For example; if you're being shot all the time by a sniper or a aircraft preventing you from taking the objective, the fog can give you a temporary advantage.

That what scope glint is for and the AA gun?
  • BirdyBallzzzz
    DingoKillr wrote: »

Yes, of course. It was just an example of how the fog can be useful in certain situations, not that it's impossible haha.

• DingoKillr
    3723 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yes, of course. It was just an example of how the fog can be useful in certain situations, not that it's impossible haha.

As OP said it encourage a CQB style of play.

DICE removed passive spotting so fog would be more effective at impacting long range play. While at the same time removing audio spotting which helps corner campers and CQB style. Yet leaves in place Scope Glint unless fixed would be visible thru smoke, fog and dark corners.

So why is there an obsession to hinder other style of play so those in CQB can have more advantage.
  • BirdyBallzzzz

As OP said it encourage a CQB style of play.

DICE removed passive spotting so fog would be more effective at impacting long range play. While at the same time removing audio spotting which helps corner campers and CQB style. Yet leaves in place Scope Glint unless fixed would be visible thru smoke, fog and dark corners.

So why is there an obsession to hinder other style of play so those in CQB can have more advantage.

I understand your point. But it's not that fog is always there, and I'm sure DICE can do something about the things you just mentioned, at least some of it if they're willing to.
  • Rotank
    981 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, the effect of the sandstorm on Oman is greatly over-exaggerated, at least on normal mode. It definitely changes things up and makes it a little more difficult -- you're more reliant on your team for spotting, you have to be more mindful of your altitude and your mini-map. But the map is certainly still playable during the sandstorm, especially running lgms. It even provides the bonus advantage that it is difficult for the enemy to spot you, and easier to flank the map and ambush.

Point being, regardless of what type of player you are, there are advantages and disadvantages to these weather changes. Adapt and overcome doesn't simply mean everybody switching to assault, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It means making the game mechanics work to your advantage by adapting your existing toolset and play style and taking full advantage of the current conditions.
  • DingoKillr
    Rotank wrote: »
    Honestly, the effect of the sandstorm on Oman is greatly over-exaggerated, at least on normal mode. It definitely changes things up and makes it a little more difficult -- you're more reliant on your team for spotting, you have to be more mindful of your altitude and your mini-map. But the map is certainly still playable during the sandstorm, especially running lgms. It even provides the bonus advantage that it is difficult for the enemy to spot you, and easier to flank the map and ambush.

Point being, regardless of what type of player you are, there are advantages and disadvantages to these weather changes. Adapt and overcome doesn't simply mean everybody switching to assault, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It means making the game mechanics work to your advantage by adapting your existing toolset and play style and taking full advantage of the current conditions.

The storms in BF4 still had audio spotting but no passive or manual spotting, that is the point in BF1 there is no thermal, LGM or looking at the map to find audio spots to assist you in find a target.
  • jeffmasman
    323 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 2016
    Guys chill, the fog, and possible sandstorm (on the African map) will be fine in BF1 because the things in BF4 that made the sandstorm suck won't be there (thermal optics, jets, helos) the planes move slow enough and can fly over the fog, that you can still play with them. I watched the livestream and the fog just brought fighting closer together but no weapon had an unfair advantage (except maybe sniper wasn't as effective)
  • DingoKillr
    jeffmasman wrote: »
    Guys chill, the fog, and possible sandstorm (on the African map) will be fine in BF1 because the things in BF4 that made the sandstorm suck won't be there (thermal optics, jets, helos) the planes move slow enough and can fly over the fog, that you can still play with them. I watched the livestream and the fog just brought fighting closer together but no weapon had an unfair advantage (except maybe sniper)

That is what OP is talking about.
  • KDNS
    I think it's balanced since you have multiple weather conditions.

That makes no sense at all. It doesn't seem that you know what 'balance' means.
    For example; if you're being shot all the time by a sniper or a aircraft preventing you from taking the objective, the fog can give you a temporary advantage.

And them a temporary disadvantage. That's unbalanced.
    we haven't even played the game yet. We still have the older BF's that we can play.

Right, and in those older battlefields, exists the same mechanic, and it's almost universally hated.
    After all it's a new game, what fun would it be if they didn't innovate with features like these.

More fun than if they did.

Nobody is complaining about dynamic weather as a whole. Dynamic weather is a cool idea. If the mechanic spoils gameplay like the sandstorm does.... That's not fun.
  • jeffmasman
    323 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    jeffmasman wrote: »
    Guys chill, the fog, and possible sandstorm (on the African map) will be fine in BF1 because the things in BF4 that made the sandstorm suck won't be there (thermal optics, jets, helos) the planes move slow enough and can fly over the fog, that you can still play with them. I watched the livestream and the fog just brought fighting closer together but no weapon had an unfair advantage (except maybe sniper)

That is what OP is talking about.

OP said people hated sandstorm on Gulf of Oman, and said the fog would suck. I'm saying it is good, since WW1 lacked the technology that made the sandstorm frustrating. Unless I read it wrong
  • KDNS
    edited June 2016
    OP said people hated sandstorm on Gulf of Oman, and said the fog would suck. I'm saying it is good, since WW1 lacked the technology that made the sandstorm frustrating. Unless I read it wrong

The things that make the sandstorm bad are the limited visibility and the inability to spot. It's nothing to do with the technology in the game's setting, it's to do with the way the storm negatively effects other game mechanics and balance. It's the fact that it forces everyone to play CQB and destroys what little teamwork we have in this game. Might as well play Gears of War.
  • Trokey66
    8599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

The things that make the sandstorm bad are the limited visibility and the inability to spot. It's nothing to do with the technology in the game's setting, it's to do with the way the storm negatively effects other game mechanics and balance. It's the fact that it forces everyone to play CQB and destroys what little teamwork we have in this game. Might as well play Gears of War.

The inability to spot as a reason for the 'majority' of players to dislike the sandstorm (fog) quite bizarre. There are threads on here that appear to say that the 'majority' want spotting reduced/toned down.