Woman voice: "you lost object A"

Comments

• Turban_Legend80
    4710 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 2016
    This whole thing is akin to someone who is not a painter walking into an art gallery criticizing a piece for not being what they want. Same thing, this is a piece of art fron DICE, and no matter how much you armchair developers complain, I hope they don't touch it. Their vision, their game.... either buy it or don't

Best way to explain it. People need to realize this.

It doesnt really explain it though. They want to sell as many copies of the game as possible. Pleasing fans is something they obviously consider.
    I dont believe they would have an "our game our vision buy it or dont" attitude.
  • Congaz
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    would like if they make some voices to choose from. so those woman-phobic freaks was shutup.

The problem is not it is a woman, but HOW they Made it sound

• Rotank
    981 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    This whole thing is akin to someone who is not a painter walking into an art gallery criticizing a piece for not being what they want. Same thing, this is a piece of art fron DICE, and no matter how much you armchair developers complain, I hope they don't touch it. Their vision, their game.... either buy it or don't

Not at all a good way to explain it. I like Poolshark's posts, and I honestly could not care less about the woman's voice, as it won't affect my experience one bit.

But implying that art is above criticism simply because it is the artist's "vision" is way off base. Artists open themselves up to criticism by their very nature. Film, literature, even a painting for sale at an art festival, are all works of art... and there are many examples of each being critical and commercial failures, based on individual elements that may not work the way intended, poor choices during the development process, rushed decision making, or maybe everything was developed exactly as intended and people simply did not like it.

Video games face even more criticism than other forms of art. Look, I agree that video games can be works of art. But the largest factor for those that argue against video games as art is the fact that the contemporary "artistic elements", such as visual styles, sound design, and narrative, are simply borrowed from other mediums. What makes video games unique to other artistic mediums is the user interface, how the story progression, art design, sound, etc. integrate with the gameplay mechanics and the end user experience. Meaning that video games, more than any other medium, are reliant on the end user to fully realize their vision, whatever that may be. Meaning that, without a gamer, there is no game.

That doesn't mean that every individual gamer's input, wants and needs have value and should be catered to. It is also my opinion that the whole thing with the woman's voice is way overblown and will not detract from the gameplay experience in any way. But I believe this statement is fundamentally incorrect.

Sorry for the rant.
  • ThePoolshark
    2502 postsMember, Game Changer, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Game Changer

It doesnt really explain it though. They want to sell as many copies of the game as possible. Pleasing fans is something they obviously consider.
    I dont believe they would have an "our game our vision buy it or dont" attitude.

EA wants to sell copies. Game devs want to make a good game with their vision
  • Turban_Legend80

I'm sure they still consider what would make their game popular. It would be silly not to.
  • ThePoolshark
    2502 postsMember, Game Changer, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Game Changer

I'm sure they still consider what would make their game popular. It would be silly not to.

There is definitely some give/take, but overall devs have a harder time going away from what they see for a game. I have seen this. Some are more accepting than others
  • Turban_Legend80

There is definitely some give/take, but overall devs have a harder time going away from what they see for a game. I have seen this. Some are more accepting than others

Tbh I think I'd be like that too if I was a dev.
  • AdamChattaway
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    pss4dm wrote: »
    Congaz wrote: »
    Mr7Beans wrote: »
    They're probably going to change it.
    however i hope they don't change the objective names (Apples, Butter, Charlie, Duff etc..)
    it suits the game way more than the modern ones.

They aren't changing it

It has been in for at least 6 months, if it was a place holder, it would have been changed for the alpha

As mentioned, Dice has heard nothing about this before the live stream vent live. Alot of people have spoken out about it now. im willing to say its the discussion with most threads over the forums, not just this one.

Yet again, time will tell. If it get changed, kept or an On/Off switch for it is something we will discover on the launch or later dlc/patches.

Turning it off would go against its purpose. It serves as an aid for oblivious people.

They have heard discussions. The live stream is not the first tine people have seen this game. There have been numerous playtest/feedback session, multiple game changer settings, etc. The voice was brought up, and the choice was explained, but I can't discuss it as I am under NDA. If they feel the need to justify the artistic direction of THEIR game, they can.

In the end, this is their vision, and having something that irritates a small number of players that has no bearing on gameplay, is probably not a huge priority to them.

I find it hard to believe that it is only an insignificant portion of battlefield community that have a problem with the announcer.

This forum is a miniscule percentage of the community. This thread is only has a miniscule percentage of users conpared to the forum. The math is easy in my eyes

Well TBH most people don't use a forums, the fact the hardcore fans log in and speak what they dislike shows that they should be the majority lol? obviously the people who don't come here and comment don't care so why not change it for the ones who do care about the game?
  • ThePoolshark
    however i hope they don't change the objective names (Apples, Butter, Charlie, Duff etc..)

They aren't changing it

It has been in for at least 6 months, if it was a place holder, it would have been changed for the alpha

As mentioned, Dice has heard nothing about this before the live stream vent live. Alot of people have spoken out about it now. im willing to say its the discussion with most threads over the forums, not just this one.

Yet again, time will tell. If it get changed, kept or an On/Off switch for it is something we will discover on the launch or later dlc/patches.

Turning it off would go against its purpose. It serves as an aid for oblivious people.

They have heard discussions. The live stream is not the first tine people have seen this game. There have been numerous playtest/feedback session, multiple game changer settings, etc. The voice was brought up, and the choice was explained, but I can't discuss it as I am under NDA. If they feel the need to justify the artistic direction of THEIR game, they can.

In the end, this is their vision, and having something that irritates a small number of players that has no bearing on gameplay, is probably not a huge priority to them.

I find it hard to believe that it is only an insignificant portion of battlefield community that have a problem with the announcer.

This forum is a miniscule percentage of the community. This thread is only has a miniscule percentage of users conpared to the forum. The math is easy in my eyes

Well TBH most people don't use a forums, the fact the hardcore fans log in and speak what they dislike shows that they should be the majority lol? obviously the people who don't come here and comment don't care so why not change it for the ones who do care about the game?

That is a terrible conclusion. "Vocal minority whines, so should be considered majority"

k
  • Loqtrall
    12179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

They aren't changing it

That is a terrible conclusion. "Vocal minority whines, so should be considered majority"

k

• tytlyf33
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 2016
    There should be a dropdown in the audio settings to choose between multiple male/female voices or none.
  • alucardgr
    390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Get rid of it
  • jeffmasman
    323 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Can this discussion be closed already? It was just a placeholder
  • ZipBang
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    something that can make me stop playing, or not buying this game at all, is the woman voice saying "loosing objetive A" you have lost objective B" "Taking control of Objective C".

Not that it is a woman voice, but its just terrible! keep it as a text or whatever, stop wanna be a doom/quake game.

DICE, please. Do reconsider this feature, or atleast make it an option!

Wow, you really would quit playing over this? Maybe you should go ahead and quit. There will be something else that bothers you just as much I am sure.
  • HomicideJack
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    cc3d wrote: »
    something that can make me stop playing, or not buying this game at all, is the woman voice saying "loosing objetive A" you have lost objective B" "Taking control of Objective C".

Not that it is a woman voice, but its just terrible! keep it as a text or whatever, stop wanna be a doom/quake game.

DICE, please. Do reconsider this feature, or atleast make it an option!

Wow, you really would quit playing over this? Maybe you should go ahead and quit. There will be something else that bothers you just as much I am sure.

I'll agree, that seems extreme. I'll play it even if the voice stays the same. I won't like it, but I'll suffer it for that epic gameplay.
  • Mr_PresidentO_O
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The female announcer is so annoying, please change it! It reminded me of Unreal Tournament 1999. DICE we in a war running around giving it our all, we don't want some calm voice, we want a staff sergeant screaming down our necks to push forward!!
  • Linde_swe
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yes change that voice or make a mute option for her!
  • SuperShotShooter
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    please i came here just to say get rid of the voice
  • Ventquipue
    294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    On BF4, the voice off "we lost objective Charlie" puts in the mood and immersion.
    In BF1, woman quiet voice "you lost object A" "Don't worry, be happy"
    Brief, if woman voice for BF1, more intensity or more character. Not need an air hostess for us briefing. Thanks.
  • TwiztedMannix
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If she sounded like a female Drill Sergeant or close to R. Lee Ermey sounding it'll be alright. She needs to sound off
This discussion has been closed.