Is the Bomber supposed to be terrible? What am I doing wrong?

Chubzdoomer
1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited November 2016
I'm so frustrated right now, I just had to make this post.

I was just on Monte Grappa and was miraculously able to keep a bomber up in the sky for at least 5+ minutes, maybe up to 10 minutes. I had two gunners that stayed in there the entire time, fending off enemy planes and keeping me alive. The AA was also never manned, which of course made a huge difference. The only reason I eventually crashed is because the zeppelin was called in and it, combined with the enemy's air force, eventually got the better of me.

So why am I so frustrated? Because the entire time I was up in the air, all 5-10 or so of those minutes, I got one, maybe two kills. Not even kidding.

I felt I was playing perfectly. I kept seeing large enemy concentrations spotted on my map around B/D, and I kept flying directly over them and dropping payloads of bombs. I even did the "cycle" trick where you drop one payload, then quickly cycle to the other type of bomb and drop that as well. Yet for some reason I can't explain, almost none of my bombing runs ever did ANY damage to the enemy. At most, I would receive damage notifications of ~40-50 health.

Why the hell aren't my bombs having any kind of effectiveness, even when they're dropped ON TOP OF large concentrations of enemy infantry? I was even using the bomber's sights with RMB to ensure that my aim was on point, and I eventually got fed up and switched to third-person mode just to make sure my bombs were actually landing where they should have been. I watched time and time again as my accuracy was seemingly on point, yet my bombs had no effect.

By the time I'd crashed, I think I was 3-1 and had maybe ~2k score, at the bottom of the scoreboard (there might have been 3 people below me). I was so furious that all my time spent in the air was for naught, I just left the game early and called it a night.

Has anyone else had this problem? Surely it can't just be me, right? It just drives me crazy knowing that I should have killed at least 10+ infantry based on the groups I was dropping bombs on, yet nothing ever came from it. What the hell is going on here!? I was just using the default bomber loadout, by the way. I haven't yet unlocked any of the others.

If anyone could offer advice, or explain to me why this happened, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just at a loss right now, and not sure I'll ever bother flying again after such a frustrating, unrewarding experience.

/Angry rant

Comments

• fragkat
    240 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    bomber isnt something you do alone. Not only that, fly high with bombing runs, dont forget to estimate where bombs are gonna be.....
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    fragkat wrote: »
    bomber isnt something you do alone.

I had a full crew with me.
  • Darth_Ruehl
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Disregard fragkat, he is trolling. He obviously didn't read your post. I have same difficulties in bomber as u have had. That's why I barely fly it, although with practice I'm sure I'd get better. I as well drop bombs directly on people and manage few kills. The lower I went the better kill percentage I seemed to have, probably due to the higher up u r the more the bombs will be spaced out when they finally hit earth.

I've tried both load outs and same luck,,,

If u wanna fly, and if u haven't already tried, I recommend the attack plane with the ground support load out... Whatever the first load out is called.... Not the tank killer, that was nerfed after beta.

The cannon does excellent splash damage on infantry, as well as the 8 bombs u r able to drop.

U also have spot flares with that load out which is a great help for not only u on your next pass over objective, but also a great help to your team. U will be racking up points with spot flare assists. Heck I've gotten a couple kills with spot flares even.

The one detriment is that it can take quite a few passes with that load out to kill tanks.

I have close to a 11:1 k/d with attack plane, regularly get 30+ kills per map. Best so far is 46-1.
    Post edited by Darth_Ruehl on
  • TheApollostrikes
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Well, to be honest, the bomber is mainly to focus against vehicles. I've never had this problem with me. I mainly use the torpedo, large damage for vehicles and infantry but you have to be super precise with this. Default loadout is barrage so couple bombs decent amount of damage on a small area. I would get lucky with this but I have better luck with torpedo. Honestly if you want be effective against just against infantry, id say go Attack plane with default loadout (Ground Support) or Fighter with Trench Fighter. Better against infantry :)
  • Chubzdoomer
    Honestly if you want be effective against just against infantry, id say go Attack plane with default loadout (Ground Support) or Fighter with Trench Fighter. Better against infantry :)

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
  • motojdr6
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If you are keen on using the bomber, I believe there is a button you can press when looking through the bomber scope which takes a picture. Taking a picture spots all the enemies for a short period, so I assume you keep taking a picture of the ground as you drop bombs, and if you turn and bomb the same area all the enemies will be spotted in advance.

But if you wanna get kills, just use the default ground loadout for the attack plane. Come in at a 45 degree angle firing the cannons, then as your passing over the ground just line up your bombs and also hit the spotting flare at the same time. Once you get into a rythm with this loadout you can really help your team. But chances are youll just get dry fisted by the AA over and over and over...
  • kmac1622
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Battlefield 1 Member
    The bomber is mostly effective if you use your gunners to help you. When I play with a group and we go bomber its almost known that the pilot isn't really gonna get any kills. But usually the front gunner tries to figure out where infantry is grouping up for the most kills for everyone. But has anyone noticed planes lagging really bad. It only happens on the attack and fighter where they move waaay faster than they should be for a short burst of time and almost do this sideways flying thing. It happens so often on some people that it makes them almost impossible to kill.
  • Hawxxeye
    5335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    >Fly high, as high as possible, most of the ground based players will not be able to hurt you up there

>Use the bombing aiming scope thingy to aim the bombs from high places with a decent accuracy.

>Use the Eye ability to spot a lot of the enemies in the bombing scope FoV

>If you have no tailgunner switch to it when there is someone trying to do your plane from behind
  • Skywalker485_tm
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The air game is completely broken in this game. You can be one shot by a good fighter pilot with the trench fighter loadout explosive darts. A good pilot can do this very consistently. Plus your damage in a bomber is negligible.

It's not just you. The bomber is not very useful and may need a buff. But I don't know, buffing it would seem like easy kills. If you want to enjoy playing in the air, try the attack plane or fighter.
  • OGLSpade
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 2016
    Fly high to do bombing runs, use the camera to capture an image of the area left on the D-Pad for console, it spots all enemies in your sights good for making a second bombing run, drop both of your payloads in 1 bombing run, make sure your aiming in while bombing to see where your dropping them (Have to be in first person to aim), also try dropping them directly on the flag, I have most luck there, and if you have a squad mate that is a recon, ask him to put a flare on the objective when your about to bomb so you can see the enemy forces.
  • Cooja89
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    IMO the bomber needs a buff, bombing does require a certain amount of accuracy and dropping the bombs from high up gives the enemy below plenty of time to move. ONTOP of that there slow and encumbersome, making you easy pickings for fighters/AA/even ground troops.

I think the bombers intended to be like the Landship but in the sky, realy only effective if you have a crew communicating, if not, make sure your team has complete air superiority before you even think of using one.

Bombs definatly do alot of damage, but if your just blindy dropping them your doing it wrong. IMO the Trench fighter Fighter is the best all round plane in the game right now, explosive darts excell at ground attack but you NEED to be accurate, once you can use them with laser like accuracy and consistently kill, time to step it up to a bigger payload like the default attack plane.
  • MajorDirt
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Been getting kills everytime i drop the bombs right! just look through the bomb hatch or whatever it is and drop it bit earlier than it's on target and use the heavy bombs. smaller one doesn't seem to go off on impact somehow. it's like there is a fuse or something. but heavy bombs rek people on the ground.
  • Tirant65
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The trick to using the bomber is to rely on your gunner and only fly in when you have to. I usually just to pylon turns around an objective, and my front gunner can get dozens of kills in no time. You only really want to do overhead passes when you see a nice juicy tank or the like. If you rock cluster bombs, you can strafe and get a bunch, but typically just rely on your gunners to do most of the work.
  • Jsn_AngryMF
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fly your bomber in sweeping angles so your gunners can target infantry bettter. I don't see what you can do to increase your kill ratio, you seem to be using the plane as well as you can. I find low runs just leave me susceptible to AA fire but i'm getting a fair amount of kills with it. Needs Crew on board for sure.
  • Neil_Enbob
    689 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's OP, you're just terrible.
  • secretsniper99
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just fly the Attack Plane until DICE realizes in needs to be buffed. I find the Attack Planes far superior for bombing and killing infantry if ywho ur using the default loadout.
  • Shadowblastz
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    if you wanna take out infantry, i use the bomber with fire.
    Works great.

Also sometimes dropping on house where u expect to be a lot of people in can get you alot of debris kills :wink:
  • secretsniper99
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I never fly the bomber, but if I had to give a recommendation, try flying in 3rd person and drop the bombs when it looks like they're directly under you. I found this stratagy far more effective for the Attack Planes than using the pep-sight.
  • Trixie_Lulamooon
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I got over 1000 kills in the bomber, its not hard to use.

Just fly in third person and watch for enemies in hotspots and flags. All you have to do is fly over them when you spot them, go into the bombing viewmode, and drop both of your payload at the same time and get 5+ kills. Its easy.
  • CV-RenegadeNC
    276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just fly the Attack Plane until DICE realizes in needs to be buffed. I find the Attack Planes far superior for bombing and killing infantry if you're using the default loadout.

Exactly what I was about to say, the Fighter is a joke and the Bomber seems to have an extremely small splash damage range from my experience. I can get 10x - 20x the amount of kills in the same time with the ground support attack plane vs the bomber. The only time i'll ever grab the bomber is when I need the torpedo variant to take out a Dreadnought. From the kills I have gotten with the bomber however, it seems like the higher you fly with it, the larger the splash damage is. So basically, if you wanna get kills with it you really need to be at the sky limit and just hope people are spotting players.