Veteran BF Player's Opinions?

Modest_Pelican
101 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited November 2016
This is my first battlefield - by and large, I really like the game. I am really interested to know what some more long time players thoughts are about BF1? and further how the entire franchise has evolved?

I am going to turn the best responses into a video discussing your opinions.. I will make sure to give you credit etc. Bookmark this forum or sub to my channel as I will post the video in about a week.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWuTGgH0ePB33biS1OA-BQ

Comments

• fvmz
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2016
    Started with the 1942 beta.

I enjoy BF1 more than BF3 and a lot more than BF4, which I thought was the absolute worst of the franchise, to the point of being unplayable. I think 1 is about even with BF: BC2 in terms of pure fun. It can be a lot of fun, but because of design decision and missing fundamentals, it can also be, at times, thoroughly exasperating.

Servers are a hot mess, which was predicted and totally foreseeable when DICE announced they decided to get into the server hosting business. At peak hours load balancing is crap; thus, game play is bad. To further complicate matters, EA/DICE doesn't provide servers in every region they sell the game, so it's inevitable that a flood of high ping players from across the planet join your game. When these things combine hit reg is terrible. To not provide servers in all regions and to not allow us to rent from 3rd party hosts was a terrible decision from the gamer's point of view. Although I'm sure investors don't care. We have hosted our own servers since the beginning. We do a much better job than EA/DICE. We do a better job because we actually care (a lot) about the environment in which we play, and so we go to great lengths to assure that environment is the best it can possibly be.

The server browser is terrible. They went for cute over functional and failed at both. It's un-intuitive and, for the most part, inaccurate. About half the time you refresh and instantly join a server with several free spots you're put into a queue instead of the game. Matchmaking is no better because balancing is also terrible. I'm not sure how they're doing it, but from all my days playing without matchmaking, I can say that servers had better balance when players joined randomly.

Hacking is a problem. EA/DICE decided to remove PunkBuster but not replace it with anything else. Instead, they decided to go with Fairfight only and tweak the detection algorithm more aggressively. This is problematic for two reasons: a) more false positives and b) it doesn't detect hacks and so hackers who aren't blatant are never caught. Inevitably, when the topic comes up a guy or two will chime in that, "in x hundred hours I've never seen a hacker". Statements like these defy credulity and can only be taken seriously if that person admits that during those x hundred hours they were staring at rocks. Private servers won't help because EA/DICE has not seen fit to allow people who rent servers to kick people from their servers.

In 1942 movement was clean. These days nearly everything you do has an animation. I think this is a terrible mechanic that detracts from game play. It was introduced after BF2 whiners went wild complaining about Dolphin Diving. Ok, ok... so maybe dolphin diving was extreme, but at the end of the day, all men are not created equal, and so I should not be penalized because I'm able to hit keys in succession faster than someone else, which is what these animations do: penalize the faster typist to "even the playing field". I think this is also a terrible mechanic that just didn't exist in 1942, Vietnam, or BF2.

There's more stuff... but this is probably already wall of text so I'll leave it for now.
  • KYUSS_QOTSA
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF vet here. i even played codename eagle when it came out. My favourite BF of all time is Bf 2142 thats where all the battlefield moments really come together. But as for BF1 i love it. It brings me back to the Bf1942 glory days. i bashed and critized BF3 and BF4 because they were absolute crap. BF1 is simply great. i hope they keep on this track
  • CaptHotah
    1126 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is a really good game. But it could have been so much better.
  • A_warped_mind
    1051 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF vet here. i even played codename eagle when it came out. My favourite BF of all time is Bf 2142 thats where all the battlefield moments really come together. But as for BF1 i love it. It brings me back to the Bf1942 glory days. i bashed and critized BF3 and BF4 because they were absolute crap. BF1 is simply great. i hope they keep on this track
    Same here

And ahhh! the old days Codename Eagle (the game that made battlefield what it is)

Apart from 2142 never played it (didn't like futuristic games) I am the same as you I agree with every word you have put.

I play on PC and console and have experienced BF's from both sides BF1 is great loving it and as you said back to the glory days for me those were 1942/1943/Bad Company 2.

• Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i started with bad company,so i don't played bf1942 or bf2 myself but i'm still a battlefield player for many years now. i really like bf1,it's great there are no ucavs,stingers,active radar and all that stuff. it concentrates on the important stuff,shooting and killing without any lockon mechanic or constant spotting on the minimap. teamplay is much more important then in bf4.
  • bran1986
    5858 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    been playing battlefield since battlefield 1942, and to me bf1 is the best battlefield since bf2.
  • j0shimi
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've played since 1942, the game, not the year. I have to say BF1 is brilliant, buckets of atmosphere and brings back a very nostalgic feeling of my first steps onto the battlefield.

Highlights for me would definitely be the feeling of scale 1942 had, nothing else was quite like it at the time, following that BF2 and Bad Company 2 had a new found refinement in gameplay and were simply brilliant fun.

I have enjoyed the Battlefield series ever since really, only giving Hardline a miss as I felt it just didn't seem like Battlefield to me, I do believe it was created by a studio other than DICE if I'm not mistaken, either way, it just didn't appeal to my personal taste.
  • Das_reboot1918
    319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    1) classic mode should be standard . Spawn on leader only keeps squads together . Since bfbc2 where you can spawn on anyone in the squad teamwork has died .

2) being back commander from bf2, with destroyable assets . Makes gameplay richer . Bf1 will get boring quickly . It has little depth.

3) the player base . You shouldn't need incentive to ptfo. It's the whole point of conquest. The COD influx has meant a huge decrease in players who push.

4) kdr is far too important to too many people . Get rid of it from scoreboards .

5) far too few people use voip: vets remember most players talking on mic . No it's not rose colored glasses.

6) spawn into vehicles should go. Keeps the front lines more defined . Too many spawn options in later games . Again means squads don't stick together . Older games , squad leader HAD to be kept alive as he was your spawn point .

7) make bases enterable. Raiding bases added another dimension to the game .

8) make planes have to take off and land at runways , and rearm and repair back there too. Again , a much richer game .

Since bf1942/bf2 , it's been dumbed down and simplified to death.

Bf2 was popular for so long as it had so many aspects to it.
  • Screwiez
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    another 1942 vet

i find the game just lack the staying power, for me is this day and age games need either alot of content (wow) or they need a competitive scene.

for me the game is just to forgiving i remember tanks use to blow up with one mine and could not repair from inside, and didnt have 5-6 people inside only the tanker his top gunner/engineer. having to run to enter vehicles also landing planes to repair. BF1942 had plenty of maps with lots of variety whether it was battle of britain planes only for the most part, or el alamein a massive map with mostly tanks and planes. stalingrad with mostly infantry with maps with ships and subs.

in bf1 you have a cqc class which is the assault class, this for me is so op i feel like i have to play it. i say this because if you play medic or support there is no point PTFO because when you get there you know for a fact on most maps there will be an automatico or shotgun waiting for you. also the sniper imo is so easy to use everyone else just uses it, the sniper from 1942 was so hard to use i only ever saw 1 good person with it lol.

i have not played bf1 all weekend because of the overwatch free weekend, and whats weird is i enjoy playing. its competitive and for me less stressful half my team isnt sitting on a hill with a sniper, im not being killed by a tank which i just through all my nades and tnt at and didnt die.

• disposalist
    8758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Played BF since 1942 and BF1 is the best yet.

Yes, it's less 'competitive'. The skill gap has been reduced. This is a good thing to anyone but the 'pros' who insist their skillz must make everyone else fodder to them.

In BF1 you have to use tactics, involve your squad/team and take more time. All good stuff.

No more twitchy-tap-tap-tap crap, so yes, those that were happy with the way BF was going are all upset. The rest of us are very happy.
  • olavafar
    2168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think a lot is a bit better in BF1 than in BF3/4 (those two I think are more or less the same game from my perspective).
    So far I have mainly played Conquest and Operations and no Hardcore (TK annoys me so much I just will not play it unless it causes kick unless forgiven).
    I play on PC.
    I have left out things I believe are bugs. Of course in general these are all subjective opinions. The order is not significant.

Positives:
    1) I like that you cannot steal vehicles.
    2) In general I think the engine feels smoother, all mechanics and gun play is for me slightly better and more consistent (again ignoring some bugs like jumping planes).
    3) Graphics and sound are A LOT better.
    4) Maps I think are overall better (it's a hard call as we have so many more maps in BF4 at this moment but I think the approach in BF1 seems better for some reason).
    5) Flying in Beta was amazing I think (now it is a bit broken so I have not done as much of it as I'd like).
    6) I like that classes are (again) more differentiated.
    7) Spawn killing was a big thing in BF3, less so in BF4 and seems to be close to no existent in BF1, better map design probably one part of it.
    8) Spawn system: mixed feelings. I like how you dive in and by that get an idea where you are on the map. However spawning on team mates often renders you insta death (so it's like BF4). I suppose this is a hard one as it's hard to program a prediction if the team mate (or any spot) will be 'under fire' withing the next two seconds even when not atm. And no, BF4 version with camera did not help much. Most 'problems' are behind the one you spawn on, not in front of him. However if one looks carefully on the map one can (at least outdoors) see potential 'problems' like a tank.

Negatives:
    A) Overall I liked the progress, medals, ribbon and battle pack systems from BF4 more than the present one. On the other hand I think it is OK and some change feels fresh in a way also. Not a game breaker for me even if I'm the sort of player that actually like pursuing this kind of stuff.
    B) I miss test range.
    C) Rented servers 'BF4 style' was better. The new approach is awful.
    D) The battlelog functionality in general was a lot better than the in game browser but maybe it was a 'dead end' from development point of view. I suppose EA/DICE were hoping for better browsers on the consoles being able to host the plug-in but it just never happened.
  • KenMastersESFF
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Started on Battlefield: MC,... Played every battlefield since
    This battlefield for me is a bit on the lets say... "light" side of things. My fav battlefield was probably BF3 because I enjoyed judging bullet drop with the different rifles and actually enjoy having to get a head shot for a 1 shot kill (makes things more rewarding).
    For me battlefield 1 seems to cater to much to the casual gamer with enhanced aim assist and aim snapping (aim assist auto rotation) which kinda ruins it a little bit. I do however like the theme of it being a world war 1 title (although its trying too hard to be too politically correct).
    I think in terms of gameplay the heavy tank is a bit too strong (I can go matches like 40+ kills and zero deaths.. and I wouldn't say I am even that good in it). The on foot gameplay is alright but as I mentioned earlier it is spoiled by more casual sniper mechanics. I think the AA is better now after the patch and makes the flying more fun (as it should be). The teamwork element is good and well worked as its much more fun to play as a squad than on your own for sure and I think you have better more successful matches this way.
    I think there should have been more weapons in the game from the start as I think compared to something like BF4.. it seems a bit cut back and there is plenty of WW1 weapons they could have added. The medals system IMO should just have been left like it was in BF4 and you can get them in-game without having to have it selected. Oh and battlepacks to me are a bit.... boring.
  • I_LT_D4N_I
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    BF1=game for noobs and campers....its very easy to kill, non recoil, 4/5 weapons per class...
  • zenn_nme
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    Also an opinion from a Veteran, played every BF on pc since '42;
    BF1 does take me back to the BF1942 days (or should I say WW2 Shooters), it breathes the same atmosphere to me. Though it's lacking some fundemental elements they created in some of the other games (BF3/BF4/BFH) in the franchise such as platoons, soldier customisation, loadout customisation, etc. I can understand stand that to make progress, you need to change. But never change a winning team, right!?
    Overall I find the game very cinematic, especially when combined with the dynamic weather effects. Imagine Argonne Forrest; damp and humid fortified woods, a dense layer of fog is slowly creeping in while your squadmates and you are taking cover from enemyfire and mustardgas in a barbedwired ditch, when peaking over the moist edge you hear the bullets whistling over your head and can barely make out distinct figures in the distance taking aim...
    Also, squad up! Like many shooters this game is based on teamplay, but more importantly squadplay. Pick a role and play your part. On some servers it's present on some it isn't, this makes or breaks the game (match). Although you can't force people to play in this style, the majority does do it.
    So, a final verdict; it still needs some work here and there. Don't forget the past, take it with you for the future; innovate & adapt. And offcourse you can't make everybody happy, but to me it feels good. :)
    Post edited by zenn_nme on
  • DRGoodfellow
    31 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1942 was my all time favourite easily compared to the others but BF1 reminds me of the good old days playing Enemy Territory Wolfenstein, it simply has the same feel, atmosphere and goals.
    The engine for the game is very good and runs well on even low end pc's/laptops obviously they can't have max settings but the game still looks good on low settings. I have found though the past 2 NVidia updates have caused issues, one being shimmering, light spots and so on the other being an unstable game crashing, server kicking you and on laptops the primary GPU losing its function. Any drivers previous to this have been perfectly fine but with slightly lower FPS
    The anti hack system seems ok but I still see some very dodgy players especially on hardcore mode
    I have no issues to complain about on the normal version of the game but when it comes to HM well.....

Hardcore Mode for me is a great idea but at the moment needs a lot of work although some things are perfect

1. They need a punishment system for team kills, although many TK at the moment are player just not use to the uniform differences that's fine but then there's the fools that do it for other reasons such as they don't want you in the same room or same spot or just for fun. They need to add the death point to the one doing the TK that will stop a lot of the fools
    2. Some things simply lose their function, periscope is virtually useless except to the user, gas grenades just don't want to be used now way to dangerous, mortor is extremely hard to use but after much training you get use to the angle by eye still see many TK's with this.
    3. Snipers scopes in real life never shine all the time, the game creates a shine no matter what spot you lay in and the shine goes through rocks buildings etc, probably not something they can fix though
    4. This mode makes it a lot easier to spot potential hackers but the anti hack system isn't good enough imho, ok we see many global bans but a system based on an algorithm system isn't going to catch say a person with a periscope hack for instance, If feel they can use this system but also add a client side system that scans the games files also. Punk Buster was IMO a good anti hack yes it they took a while to update it but it still did the job with both systems at work we would see less hacks. Game is not riddled with hacks though as far as I can tell so it really doesn't bother me
    5. All in all Hard core is going well and after some fixes it will be a great

Some things I really want to see
    1. The behemoths that come along when your losing! I really want to see a mass introduction of AI planes arrive one side to help the behemoth the other to stop it, the AI will also target players
    2. Although its coming, they need more varying maps and they definitely need different game modes, like Capture the Flag but the flag being secret documents
    3. What I really want to see which was something in enemy territory was Escort missions - Basically you had to escort a VIP to a designated location
    4. One problem I see coming is many paid for DLC's but not much content in them and for people that don't have a ton of cash to waste on games means it will lose an easy 50% of the playerbase, the 50% will result in friends not playing due to their friends not being able to pay for the new stuff. Games in the past had one price all updates were free but sadly nowadays if there's a way companies will charge
    5. KDR/stats has always been a bad thing in games but then people want to see how well they do. The only problem is many player claim your not good if your KDR is bad but then certain player play say MEDIC a lot and dedicated medics either revive or die trying. It would be good to see what class has your most deaths and when it comes to hardcore mode it would be good to see how many deaths are from friendly
    6. I would love to see a radio/map class that can call in artillery shots

That's about it from me lots more to say but I won't bore you
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Started out with Bad Company 2, then went to the earlier version and played Bad Company, and loved that.

Battlefield 1 has caught the fun playing elements of the Bad Company series. BF3 and BF4 seemed to have it's heart missing, they were good and I played both for 700 hours each, but I just didn't smile as much when playing as I did the Bad Company games, and BF1943.

BF1 has brought those smiles back when playing.
  • robkrush
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Something that I don't think has been mentioned is there is lots of terrain in BF1 that cannot be climbed or vaulted even though visually it seems like it should be. My solider gets stuck on things more than he ever has in prebious Battlefields.

One positive is that it is much easier to squad with friends in the main menu and play with them on the game team. The lobby system and the quickmatch system seem to work very well in BF1, especially compared to BF4.
  • AngryCatalan
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF1943, BC2, BF3 and BF4 veteran here. BF1 is imo the best and most fun of them all! Surprised that being a horseman is by far the most exciting role I have done in the battlefield. If you get the hand of it you can wreck the whole opposite team. ;p
  • Modest_Pelican
    101 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2016
    Video is up lads! Everyone who is quoted I used your comments so jump over to my channel or watch the video below to check it out.

Sorry if I didn't get to use your comment specifically, the overall feel of the forum post helped a lot with the video though, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was really interesting to hear the opinions of some veteran Battlefield players!

My channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWuTGgH0ePB33biS1OA-BQ

fvmz wrote: »
    Started with the 1942 beta.
    BF vet here.
    i started with bad company,
    1) classic mode should be standard . Spawn on leader only keeps squads together .
    another 1942 vet
    zenn_nme wrote: »
    Don't forget the past, take it with you for the future; innovate & adapt. And offcourse you can't make everybody happy, but to me it feels good. :)
  • Modest_Pelican
    gyjsd