Weekly Debrief

Use the damn spotting system!!!

bendermac
132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
watching gameplays from pc shows that thy use the spotting so much more,
compared what is happening on ps4. seams like many ps4 player are very selfish
and don't want to get a kill taken away, if they use the spotting system.

so much for team play!

Comments

• INCUBA3E-BF
    1944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    unfortunately spotting is so inconsistent atmy, I literally spam the spot button constantly, and it only works half the time, even on vehicles that are 10m away.

add it too the list of things not working as intended like the controls etc etc
  • PackersDK
    758 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Deleted
  • EliteStarquake
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Halfa-Cree wrote: »
    unfortunately spotting is so inconsistent atmy, I literally spam the spot button constantly, and it only works half the time, even on vehicles that are 10m away.

The spot button stops working for a while if you spam it. I found that out when I spammed it and got a hint pop up to tell me.
  • PackersDK
    Yeah, I wanted to say that, but ended up messing up my profile :)

The hint system literally says "don't spam the button".
  • AgBandit
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Wow. Spotting is a necessary teamplay tactic. Spamming or not, this shouldn't be limited.

On a similar note, I've noticed there seems to be a distance limit to how close an enemy has to be before being spotted.
    Once again a pointless limitation. This should be patched to where, if you can place the enemy within your crosshairs, it should be spotted regardless of distance.
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1944 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Halfa-Cree wrote: »

The spot button stops working for a while if you spam it. I found that out when I spammed it and got a hint pop up to tell me.

more a figure of speech, I know it does ;)
  • basickfam
    348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    AgBandit wrote: »
    Wow. Spotting is a necessary teamplay tactic. Spamming or not, this shouldn't be limited.

On a similar note, I've noticed there seems to be a distance limit to how close an enemy has to be before being spotted.
    Once again a pointless limitation. This should be patched to where, if you can place the enemy within your crosshairs, it should be spotted regardless of distance.

It's all buggy. I've been able to spot snipers across the map but not able to spot a tank directly in front of me.

But as others have said and even the tip that comes up says. Spamming the spot key will force a cool down period, which is totally stupid to me.
  • FightinFinn187
    722 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    bendermac wrote: »

so much for team play!

I don't understand why, but 80% of the time when I try to mark an enemy, the game just refuses to do so. It may be my controller, but it shouldn't be. The dang thing is only about 2 months old.
  • PackersDK
    Honestly, I can see an argument for both sides.

I've tried not being able to spot 5 enemies coming out of their spawn, because it was "spamming", obviously annoying.
    I've also tried locating a sniper in an overgrown area (Argonne map, couldn't see him) by spamming the button. Actually fair enough, I couldn't do that.
    Just my opinion.

I have not had any issues with spotting, when I don't spam. Works fine (just my experience).
  • SPANK_NASTY_619
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    I catch 85% of players not spotting at all . Bunch of skrub casuals
  • Claypole1
    381 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Spamming the spot button will disable spotting for a short "cooldown" period. This was same in BF3 and BF4, but the difference in those games was that there was an audible "click" when you hit the spot button, which changed tone when spotting got disabled.

There's no audio with the spot button in BF1 (not that I can hear) so you don't know when it's been disabled.

I don't mind being penalised for spamming the spot button, as we should be pro actively spotting specific targets rather than hitting and hoping. I would however, like to know if I'm wasting my time hitting the button...
  • Trokey66
    8387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Spotting has been quite severely limited in BF1 because of the crying about how 'effective' it was in BF4. It was seen as a 'crutch for bad players'. This was in one of the many videos released by DICE during Alpha/Beta phase.

I believe it is working as intended.
  • OG-N2rock
    1788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, I am someone that abused the spot button in BF3 and BF4 LOL. But as mentioned previously, in those games there was a certain sound it made when you did it too much- when you heard that tone you knew you had "over heated", and needed to cease for a minute for the cool down. There is no such tone in BF1, which is possibly part of the spotting issue that leads to people claiming it is inconsistent, when really they have just over heated the spot. This could very well be the reason someone is incapable of spotting a tank that is 10m away.

I was completely under the opinion that there was a distance limit in BF1, until today. I was on Monte Grappe and saw a sniper WAY far from me. I was running Support and knew there was no way my gun was going to hit that distance. So I put my sight on him, and spotted. I instantly lit up 2 snipers, and team mates that were near them immediately took out. So now I don't think there is a distance limit, but distance requires accuracy- no spamming the spot in a general direction and getting lucky.
  • tHEfOnzE73
    403 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I read somewhere that distance spotting is affected by what weapon you are using i.e. a rifle will spot further than a shotgun
  • Removed11322
    738 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Click the spot with care and it works ok.
    Hammer the button out of frustration and it won't. Simple.
  • AgBandit
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    PackersDK wrote: »
    Honestly, I can see an argument for both sides.

I've also tried locating a sniper in an overgrown area (Argonne map, couldn't see him) by spamming the button. Actually fair enough, I couldn't do that.
    Just my opinion.

I agree with you on this, which is why I can see how this can be abused by spamming the button just to reveal the hidden enemy (not fair, not realistic)
    SO my suggestion was to tweak the spotting feature to only work by hovering the crosshairs over the enemy at the exact time of button push.

That way if you still want to play hide and seek with your spotting tool, good luck with all the time you'll waste doing so.

• CurleeToes
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I always spot before i shoot it's a automatic reaction now
  • llIBertIll
    523 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    CurleeToes wrote: »
    I always spot before i shoot it's a automatic reaction now

Me too. So at least if I miss my team can see them. Don't care who gets the kill as long as they get dead
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bendermac wrote: »

so much for team play!

While I think the PC spotting system works better, I think the reason why you see all the raspberries is due to all the flares that are constantly lobbed everywhere.
  • JBModz1
    380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    the minimap has no red on ps4