Weekly BF

Spotting

«1
LegacyXx
8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited December 2016
What's everyones honest opinion on this? Personally I've disliked it ever since Bc1. It's not cool to get shot at by 5 people because one person spotted you. Anyone know why they ever implemented this int he first place aside from making it overall easier for people?

Comments

  • Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    it's a teamplay mechanic. i like it and it's fundamental,if i see an enemy,i should be able to tell this to my team. and i am thanks to spotting.
  • GreenRey
    403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's an alright system. It has its pros and cons but mostly cons IMO. Spotting can help a team get rid of a target (like a tank) but it does more harm than good. Hate it when I know I'm spotted and taking cover is nearly pointless.
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    it's a teamplay mechanic. i like it and it's fundamental,if i see an enemy,i should be able to tell this to my team. and i am thanks to spotting.

    I agree it adds to the team aspect of the game but i find it a little too easy when it shows exactly where the guy is rather than just call him out. Finding an enemy is like 99% of the fight in most FPS's these days so this kind of ruins it for me if it's going to show me exactly where the are or where i am.
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GreenRey wrote: »
    It's an alright system. It has its pros and cons but mostly cons IMO. Spotting can help a team get rid of a target (like a tank) but it does more harm than good. Hate it when I know I'm spotted and taking cover is nearly pointless.

    i feel like it ruins the whole point of the game. it should at least give you an indication that you've been spotted so you know you're never going to lose the enemy.
  • the-frag-artist
    432 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Would you rather have spotting, or always show up on the minimap when you shoot? Because if you compare the two, you'd be on the minimap for shooting way more often then you would be for being spotted.
  • DarkestHour138
    992 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GreenRey wrote: »
    It's an alright system. It has its pros and cons but mostly cons IMO. Spotting can help a team get rid of a target (like a tank) but it does more harm than good. Hate it when I know I'm spotted and taking cover is nearly pointless.

    Once the line of sight from the enemy is broken they can't see your spot anymore. Yeah they know your approximate location but not a big red balloon on your head. And the spot only lasts 6 seconds. Compared to BF4 I like the spotting mechanic in this game more.
  • lerki0
    907 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The thing is if you have been spotted, then YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED! The opposite team knows you are there so its not like you are being cheated in some way , its not wall hacks or anything like that.

    Its simply that you have not be a as sneaky as you think you have been and the result is apparent. The challenge is then to get yourself out of the situation, either by falling back or ducking into cover.
  • Tranquillity308
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Wait, there's a spotting mechanic? I thought it didnt work because none of the randoms I play with use it.
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Wait, there's a spotting mechanic? I thought it didnt work because none of the randoms I play with use it.

    yeah i thought this too. i didn't think it would have it since it's supposed to be WW1 when drones didn't pinpoint your location. anyway this **** just shouldn't be in the game at all IMO.
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    lerki0 wrote: »
    The thing is if you have been spotted, then YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED! The opposite team knows you are there so its not like you are being cheated in some way , its not wall hacks or anything like that.

    Its simply that you have not be a as sneaky as you think you have been and the result is apparent. The challenge is then to get yourself out of the situation, either by falling back or ducking into cover.

    you're looking at it from a realistic standpoint and not as a gameplay aspect. it shouldn't be in the game. you think its realistic for 5 people to see me because one guy did? or have a giant bubble above my head? no maybe your squad should just use their mic and try to explain it themselves. the whole point of the game is to spot enemies but now there's literally a button that does that for u. GG this game is great ...a more realistic version of spotting would to be your soldier himself calling out your location and everyone would just have to get used to knowing what they are. same goes for every other game. so you dont have to use your mic but you'll still have a button to do it for you. it shouldn't put a giant balloon over your head for everyone else to see lol. and just because you've been spotted by one guy who happened to see you from his angle doesn't mean the rest of his squad should see you because of a giant bubble.
  • McBain04
    50 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like the spotting mechanic. I just wish it worked a little better.
  • Bossman1794
    1073 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I very much like the concept.
    I also like that they largely got rid of in-HUD-spotting (sorry, 3d spotting or what??) but that people can still pinpoint it by good use of your minimap, but you won't instantly have 5 rifles trained on your location instantaneously. I always thought that mechanic was kind of cheap.
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    LegacyXx wrote: »
    lerki0 wrote: »
    The thing is if you have been spotted, then YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED! The opposite team knows you are there so its not like you are being cheated in some way , its not wall hacks or anything like that.

    Its simply that you have not be a as sneaky as you think you have been and the result is apparent. The challenge is then to get yourself out of the situation, either by falling back or ducking into cover.

    you're looking at it from a realistic standpoint and not as a gameplay aspect. it shouldn't be in the game.
    McBain04 wrote: »
    I like the spotting mechanic. I just wish it worked a little better.

    why even have it though? the game worked just fine without it. now it only makes it easier and its just less fun for everyone instead of actually having to use your eyes
  • slappy323
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I love it. My only problem with this go around is that it seems really touchy. I can be pointing right to a bad guy and it will not spot him.
  • Ukrainetrain87
    109 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    LegacyXx wrote: »
    What's everyones honest opinion on this? Personally I've disliked it ever since Bc1. It's not cool to get shot at by 5 people because one person spotted you. Anyone know why they ever implemented this int he first place aside from making it overall easier for people?

    I get your point but maybe they can make it where only your squad can see your position if you happen to be spotted by one of your squad mates.
  • lerki0
    907 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    LegacyXx wrote: »
    lerki0 wrote: »
    The thing is if you have been spotted, then YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED! The opposite team knows you are there so its not like you are being cheated in some way , its not wall hacks or anything like that.

    Its simply that you have not be a as sneaky as you think you have been and the result is apparent. The challenge is then to get yourself out of the situation, either by falling back or ducking into cover.

    you're looking at it from a realistic standpoint and not as a gameplay aspect. it shouldn't be in the game. you think its realistic for 5 people to see me because one guy did? or have a giant bubble above my head? no maybe your squad should just use their mic and try to explain it themselves. the whole point of the game is to spot enemies but now there's literally a button that does that for u. GG this game is great ...a more realistic version of spotting would to be your soldier himself calling out your location and everyone would just have to get used to knowing what they are. same goes for every other game. so you dont have to use your mic but you'll still have a button to do it for you. it shouldn't put a giant balloon over your head for everyone else to see lol. and just because you've been spotted by one guy who happened to see you from his angle doesn't mean the rest of his squad should see you because of a giant bubble.
    Its not realistic, nor is I meant to be its a type of communication it relays the information to the rest of your team without the need to break a language barrier, especially in Europe.

    That aside the vast majority of people dont have mics let alone use them.

    The spotting is in the game for a reason, Dice have accommodated those who dont like it with hardcore mode.
  • GrizzLYbuffal085
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If your spotted lad just close your eyes they won't be able see you!
  • LegacyXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    lerki0 wrote: »
    LegacyXx wrote: »
    lerki0 wrote: »
    The thing is if you have been spotted, then YOU HAVE BEEN SPOTTED! The opposite team knows you are there so its not like you are being cheated in some way , its not wall hacks or anything like that.

    Its simply that you have not be a as sneaky as you think you have been and the result is apparent. The challenge is then to get yourself out of the situation, either by falling back or ducking into cover.

    you're looking at it from a realistic standpoint and not as a gameplay aspect. it shouldn't be in the game. you think its realistic for 5 people to see me because one guy did? or have a giant bubble above my head? no maybe your squad should just use their mic and try to explain it themselves. the whole point of the game is to spot enemies but now there's literally a button that does that for u. GG this game is great ...a more realistic version of spotting would to be your soldier himself calling out your location and everyone would just have to get used to knowing what they are. same goes for every other game. so you dont have to use your mic but you'll still have a button to do it for you. it shouldn't put a giant balloon over your head for everyone else to see lol. and just because you've been spotted by one guy who happened to see you from his angle doesn't mean the rest of his squad should see you because of a giant bubble.
    Its not realistic, nor is I meant to be its a type of communication it relays the information to the rest of your team without the need to break a language barrier, especially in Europe.

    That aside the vast majority of people dont have mics let alone use them.

    The spotting is in the game for a reason, Dice have accommodated those who dont like it with hardcore mode.

    hardcore is too easy it slows the game down even more. it would be better they just put a question mark on the mini map for when an enemy WAS spotted. it shouldn't show exactly where the guy is on screen like wtf
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've never had a problem with spotting. Always felt like the complaints against it were over the top.

    It's either SPOTTING SUCKS or NOBODY SPOTS. Can't have it both ways.

    I find the handful of people who do spot, understand the importance of it (especially on vehicles), and help the team.

    Those that don't, don't.

    It's hardly this massive gamebreaking feature though.

    I do like how the hardcore cupcakes always use it as an "excuse" for why they prefer mediocrecore though. That's always fun.
  • Khal_Fraggo
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    it's a teamplay mechanic. i like it and it's fundamental,if i see an enemy,i should be able to tell this to my team. and i am thanks to spotting.

    I agree. Not everyone is mic'ed up and communicating, so it's good to have a simple team-play mechanic that is so simple to use with strangers.

    Also, they've toned down spotting from BF3/4 A LOT in BF1. Spots lasted much longer in BF3/4 and many weapons had longer effective ranges, making for a lot of "shoot the Dorito" kills. Also, you were revealed on the minimap every time you fired a non-silenced weapon.

    BF1 spots disappear much quicker.
Sign In or Register to comment.