Weekly BF

Hit Detection

Comments

• mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    Given both low and high ping get presented a smooth game(in progress),what advantage would u like to see exactly?I would love to just have servers with player pings under 100.But given we have high pingers,what would be a comprimise you could live with without destroying the game for high pingers(who might not even realize they joined a high ping server).Yes we need to improve region coverage and perhaps it is a good idea to hide high ping server sites from the players in the server browser to begin with,but i wonder what we could do to even it out and provide the low pingers with a better game.Thanks
  • diagoro
    1552 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Given both low and high ping get presented a smooth game(in progress),what advantage would u like to see exactly?I would love to just have servers with player pings under 100.But given we have high pingers,what would be a comprimise you could live with without destroying the game for high pingers(who might not even realize they joined a high ping server).Yes we need to improve region coverage and perhaps it is a good idea to hide high ping server sites from the players in the server browser to begin with,but i wonder what we could do to even it out and provide the low pingers with a better game.Thanks

Considering I don't expect limits by region (which would be a huge help, at least on official servers). Placing operations (and other similar modes) in the browser would be a huge help. Getiing auto placed sucks, especially with the long load times and video. I can tell quickly I'm not in region.
  • Cactus757
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

The simplest solution would be add some 100ms ping or less servers.
    It seems you guys have plenty servers online to switch a few over. Maybe a few in just the most populated areas like US and Europe. See how it goes and get some feedback.
    Just like in BF4 you guys added some 45hz servers. I can tell you those servers played much better. It may have been the 45hz but I also think people looking for a high ping advantage avoided them.
  • mischkag
    Again i understand that this is the ideal solution. But outside an actual ping cap, what would you feel would be a good enough advantage for low pingers without making the game unplayable for high pingers.
  • mischkag
    Btw in the upcoming patch the loading times on X1 will be much improved for joining an ongoing match. The spotting issue is not known as of yet. Please be aware that there is a cooldown period before you can spot again. So mashing the button wont help. Spawning without weapons as a pilot should be fixed too. The other issues like spawned as cavalry without a horse, spawning without a plane are tracked and hopefully can be fixed.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Again i understand that this is the ideal solution. But outside an actual ping cap, what would you feel would be a good enough advantage for low pingers without making the game unplayable for high pingers.

Lets not say advantage, but solution for low pingers/high pingers alike. You are an employee of the Dice corporation, what do you suggest beside a ping cap(seeing you are leaning toward that being out of the solution category)?

• mischkag
    There are regulations by Sony and Microsoft with regards to games and the networking requirements/restrictions for players. Of course there are ongoing discussions about solutions and i communicated the demand. But in addition to these i'd like to do everything in my power to make sure the low pingers get the advantage when it comes to killing and should at least have an as smooth game as the high pingers. There are restrictions on high pingers with regards to the server validation of a hit, but these are too coarse at the moment so that it does barely affect it below 300ms. I am just afraid that if a player is not aware of his ping but sees his hits being declined (aka no hit marker displayed), he starts ranting on BF1 that the hit detection is atrocious (to reuse words from above).
  • BOOG1EJUICE66
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There are regulations by Sony and Microsoft with regards to games and the networking requirements/restrictions for players. Of course there are ongoing discussions about solutions and i communicated the demand. But in addition to these i'd like to do everything in my power to make sure the low pingers get the advantage when it comes to killing and should at least have an as smooth game as the high pingers. There are restrictions on high pingers with regards to the server validation of a hit, but these are too coarse at the moment so that it does barely affect it below 300ms. I am just afraid that if a player is not aware of his ping but sees his hits being declined (aka no hit marker displayed), he starts ranting on BF1 that the hit detection is atrocious (to reuse words from above).

Thats funny because one of the things in the xbox live rules is about exploiting known or unknown game elements to influence the outcome of a game. Thats exactly what people knowingly playing out of region for the ping advantage are doing.

Also when as you stated the damage done by one of the players in a 1 v 1 shootout can be and is sometimes disregarded one guy will see he has got hitmarkers but do no damage, which is frustrating and does little to benefit anyone.
  • BOOG1EJUICE66
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Id also add that the stupid sidestepping bullets game mechanic plus the bullet deviation element coupled with the ping issue makes the hit detection worse and causes a lot of the problems ppl are having with hit detection
  • Tranquillity308
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I really hope shotguns are not nerfed. Theyre supposed to be devastating at close range. Youre getting hit with 8 or 9 .33 caliber pellets. Thats supposed to drop someone instantly from that close. Also, shotguns dont spread out as far as all the movies suggest. They are supposed to be effective out to at least 35 yards. I think a lot of the complaining about shotguns stems from lack of knowledge about them.
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    I really hope shotguns are not nerfed. Theyre supposed to be devastating at close range. Youre getting hit with 8 or 9 .33 caliber pellets. Thats supposed to drop someone instantly from that close. Also, shotguns dont spread out as far as all the movies suggest. They are supposed to be effective out to at least 35 yards. I think a lot of the complaining about shotguns stems from lack of knowledge about them.

Completey off topic, but the Dice guy did mention shotguns in one of his responses, so shoot why not.
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

It's seems crazy to me that even though my ping is 30ms I have to leave alot of games because it becomes too unplayable , I experience too many wonky deaths being shot behind cover , the damage being dealt to me in 1 lump so dying in what feels like 1 shot to pistols at silly ranges, being killed by the Calvary sword even though the players 20 metres away from me on my screen, players teleporting, warping and rubber banding about completely impossible to hit even up close and confuses the auto rotation so I have to fight with that aswell.
    Currently the high pingers latency/packet loss effect everyone on that server there crap connection or that they choose to download torrents and stream netflix while playing should only effect there game not everyone else's.

Id also add that the stupid sidestepping bullets game mechanic plus the bullet deviation element coupled with the ping issue makes the hit detection worse and causes a lot of the problems ppl are having with hit detection

Its seems silly dice have gone though the trouble to recreate all this ww1 guns giving most of them the same rpm and mag sizes they have in real life then purposely make them perform in game like muskets. Only musket rounds randomly spread after leaving the barrel.

• Tranquillity308
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Completey off topic, but the Dice guy did mention shotguns in one of his responses, so shoot why not.

Yes, shotguns and evaluating damage were mentioned...not too off topic then is it?
  • jmottone
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016

Yes, a post asking a dev not to nerf a shotgun has nothing to do with the thread topic, "HIT DETECTION". If you have an issue, post your own thread. This thread is about Hit Detection in Battlefield 1 (Xbox One)...Please be respectful and keep to the topic, so the dev(s) can handle one issue per thread...
  • Tranquillity308
    Fair enough, my apologies.
  • RichardPye843
    206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    oJU5T1No wrote: »

It's seems crazy to me that even though my ping is 30ms I have to leave alot of games because it becomes too unplayable , I experience too many wonky deaths being shot behind cover , the damage being dealt to me in 1 lump so dying in what feels like 1 shot to pistols at silly ranges, being killed by the Calvary sword even though the players 20 metres away from me on my screen, players teleporting, warping and rubber banding about completely impossible to hit even up close and confuses the auto rotation so I have to fight with that aswell.
    Currently the high pingers latency/packet loss effect everyone on that server there crap connection or that they choose to download torrents and stream netflix while playing should only effect there game not everyone else's.

Its seems silly dice have gone though the trouble to recreate all this ww1 guns giving most of them the same rpm and mag sizes they have in real life then purposely make them perform in game like muskets. Only musket rounds randomly spread after leaving the barrel.

This is EXACTLY what I am experiencing! I tried to play today for about an hour and had to quit. It is just too frustrating. It feels like I deal half damage and the enemy deals double. I am so tired of this I am honestly thinking about trading the game in and go buy something that actually works correctly. WHY should I be penalized for having a high speed connection when people who do not get an advantage. The game actually makes me want to play out of region so that I can at least be on an even playing field and that is terrible! The game actually incentivizes you to play out of region so you are the one winning gun battles. There is nothing more frustrating than you shooting someone from behind and hear the sound of constant bullets being fired just for the enemy to turn around and shoot and kill you in one shot. Not just one shot but a graze. People who have high pings should be the one who should endure this frustration! Not the ones who pay extra every month to buy a high speed internet connection so that you WONT have these sort of issues!
  • stuwooster
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited December 2016

I would say on this point that having a number of hit reg show up on someone only for them to turn around and one shot you with an LMG and then the kill screen showing they still have 100 HP is not really being fair to the people with decent connections.

Just last night I shot a guy full head and shoulders away with a 10-A wish registers as a headshot (I have headshots show in orange) only for it to show 8 damage done.
    I can't believe he only got hit with one pellet in the head and even if he did that should be 7.14 damage and I would have thought would be rounded to 7.

It really does feel like being penalised for having a good connection which is very unfair.

Just out of interest I would be interested to know what percentage of players are running on high ping connections. I assume that this info is something you would have access to? Are a majority of people suffering from high pings?
    Post edited by stuwooster on
  • stuwooster
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited December 2016

I dont think anyone is looking for an advantage, more to not be disadvantaged by someone else's poor connection, i'm sure you are aware of all the issues that have been mentioned endlessly, Bullet sponges not dieing, being shot through stone walls and rocks, unloading 3/4 of a mag into someone only for them to turn around and one hit kill you with an LMG, obvious direct hits not registering.
    I personally just want all the people playing together to be on an even playing field.
    Otherwise you may as well just add 150ms delay onto my actions at your server end then everyone is playing with a similar amount of lag.

As a side note i dont think region locking is the answer either, this is a quick ping test to EA east coast server on my connection from the uk

64 bytes from 159.153.92.28: icmp_seq=0 ttl=241 time=92.448 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.92.28: icmp_seq=1 ttl=241 time=94.905 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.92.28: icmp_seq=2 ttl=241 time=95.863 ms

This is the average ping i get, it usually varies between 85 - 100ms

And west coast

64 bytes from 159.153.68.252: icmp_seq=0 ttl=238 time=154.397 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.68.252: icmp_seq=1 ttl=238 time=154.898 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.68.252: icmp_seq=2 ttl=238 time=155.818 ms

This usually varies between 150-200ms

And just for comparison, to the EU server

64 bytes from 159.153.72.252: icmp_seq=19 ttl=240 time=35.696 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.72.252: icmp_seq=20 ttl=240 time=36.214 ms
    64 bytes from 159.153.72.252: icmp_seq=21 ttl=240 time=37.503 ms

Im lucky enough to be on a high speed fibre connection but i know my previous ADSL response would have been much worse than this and i am sure that even connecting to EU servers on that connection my lag would have been terrible as i am sure is still the case for quite a few people in the UK.
    Ultimately i think its a case of allowing players with good connections an option to play together without suffering for the percentage of higher ping players.
    Post edited by stuwooster on
  • der_Metatron
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To be honest now on each server I´ve played last night we had issues with one or more players sponging up Bullets. Eben getting hi by shotguns close range and only get dealt 47 pts of damage AND still are able to melee someone from the front.

Also the charge attack just sucks, when you have low ping. You nearly always miss the guy and "run around him" like you are pushed by Magnets. But when you get charged you can fire the automatico, the A10 Hunter and everything you got but he will get you. Even if you contercharge the high-pinger will always win. Combined with the problems of the party function and the nearly constant black Screen when you join a match and some of the world most dum players. BF1 is degrading from a awesome title to a mediocre game with more and more technical Issues
  • BOOG1EJUICE66
    Just wondering why would you think anyone gives 2 **** about how smooth the game runs for some guy who eats up bullets and one shot kills because he is playing oor with a super high ping?