Weekly BF

BF1 Servers - Thread for discussion of server rentals and settings*

Madturnip
415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited September 2016
I am finding no information on this, but I figured I would post here in the BETA forums so that the DEVS can see this. Normally we have had notice of price for servers, who was going to be the official hosts, etc. However, we have no notification and the current Battlefield 4 certified hosts have no information, or are not sharing, and this is making my stomach churn. I have a bad feeling that EA / DICE is following the Star Wars Battlefront model and not allowing any communities or gaming clans to purchase their own servers for rent. I am not arguing with anyone about playing on BADMIN servers or getting kicked because of BADMINS, but I am concerned that your game will fall flat on it's face if you do not allow rental from the main source that built your franchise. THE GAMING COMMUNITIES....

Can we get some official clarification on server rentals, PC specifically, and whether or not we will be able to rent them or not. This silence about the whole thing is quite troublesome. I can guarantee a mass exodus of the franchise should your new model not allow for server rentals.

- Thanks in advance!
Post edited by StarscreamUK on

Comments

• Axlerod1
    1382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    When will info on rent-able servers become available?
    What changes are in store?
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'd like to know as well.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Has there been any confirmation that rentable servers will even be available?
  • Nerd2Core
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hard to rent a server for a game that hasn't launched and has no community.
  • S1ngular1ty
    Nerd2Core wrote: »

Dude, people want to know if these will be available on release. Use your brain.
  • Jabaariyn
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2016
    Nerd2Core wrote: »

Dude, people want to know if these will be available on release. Use your brain.

..and in what regions, as with previous titles some regions were left out.
    Post edited by Jabaariyn on
  • JubDubTV
    345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    And it's July 5th, we don't need to know this right now. We'll know when they tell us. Which I'm sure will be in August after the BETA which is when I'm guessing it'll be.
  • S1ngular1ty
    And it's July 5th, we don't need to know this right now. We'll know when they tell us. Which I'm sure will be in August after the BETA which is when I'm guessing it'll be.

Maybe you don't but other people want to know.
  • westyjoe
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I certainly want to know before I preorder, so if EA/DICE wants early money, they should share more information.
  • hanggman
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Lets work out all the bugs first. I would like a game that the engineers pay more attention to the details of the game rather than the BEAN COUNTERS trying to make a profit. I'll be ready to rent when they are ready to let me. And if you don't have a general idea of whet the cost will be already then maybe you haven't been gaming very long. Check out our website at www.donkeymilitia.com .
  • bsgodfather1
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    They called with all the details but I can't tell you :):)
  • TimSad
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    While very likely, I'm hoping that if/when RSP's are selected to rent out BF1 servers, NFO will be on the list. We'll see soon enough hopefully...
  • westyjoe
    TimSad wrote: »
    While very likely, I'm hoping that if/when RSP's are selected to rent out BF1 servers, NFO will be on the list. We'll see soon enough hopefully...

I certainly hope that it's "when" and not "if" and also echo your hope that we know soon!
  • TimSad
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 2016
    westyjoe wrote: »
    TimSad wrote: »

I certainly hope that it's "when" and not "if" and also echo your hope that we know soon!

Well, I do know that the server browser would look very strange containing all servers of the same name attached i.e. something like...
    • Official EA North America #XXXXX
    • -[DICE]- BF1 CONQUEST #XXXXX
    • -[DICE]- BF1 DOMINATION #XXXXX
    • Official EA Europe #XXXXXX
    • Official EA Oceania #XXXXX

I'm not sure if I can actually see something like this. I hope that'll bring a bit of solace.

EDIT: Or on second thought, is this exactly how it looks in the server browser for the closed alpha? Hah! Didn't even think of that...
    Post edited by TimSad on
  • JubDubTV
    345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

And again at this point there's zero reason to know. Not like you'll be able to do anything.
  • S1ngular1ty

And again at this point there's zero reason to know. Not like you'll be able to do anything.

Maybe for your there is no point but not for others.
  • westyjoe
    Still no info on if rentable servers will be available, huh? Less than 3 months to go...
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    westyjoe wrote: »
    Still no info on if rentable servers will be available, huh? Less than 3 months to go...

After Beta
  • Deity
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This has always been a relevant question - stating that it isn't because the game isn't out yet isn't a logical response. I understand that some don't care about the answer, but that merely indicates that you are logistically disinterested (you neither rent nor manager a server).

Since servers are a requirement, and the history of Battlefield has been one of privately owned and managed servers, it's deeply concerning to those of us who manage communities where branding our home is important. For us specifically, this equates to 425 current Battlefield members who desire such a home going into Battlefield 1.

Further, our current Battlefield 4 server nest (Five servers consisting of 310 slots) isn't cheap. More than $300 per month is spent on the machines and server slots - all of which is provided by our gracious membership. To not know if we'll even have servers to rent from RSPs is prohibitive - we don't know how much those servers will cost or what mechanisms we'll have for branding or control (ProCon administration, etc). We have to plan for these things when we are managing coffers and being good stewards of donor monies.

So these are very relevant, important questions to communities that require the answers and to the administrators who provide the vehicle for those services.

At this point, while I am quite certain that we will be able to rent servers from the RSPs (because the history and server browser lead me to believe it), an official response would at least allow pricing options to be entertained by those RSPs. Additionally, whether administrative tools will be embedded (RCon)/allowed (ProCon) is extremely important. Not being able to effectively manage a server to suit the needs of the communities we operate is potentially a reason not to rent in the first place (e.g.; Official servers with no administrative tools are not attractive to rent).

It is indeed time to let us know these answers. Hopefully our benevolent overlords will let us know sooner rather than later. ;)
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @Deity7777 They'll let us know once everything has been finalized. Dev's are still working on netcode changes, UI, server browser etc. Once all these pieces are completed or really close to gold. Then and only then can they finalize RSP contract details and begin choosing the official RSP's. That's when we will get the details. No sooner than that.
    I'd rather have full disclosure over piece meal that leaves more questions than answers.
This discussion has been closed.