You did this to yourselves!

Comments

• NetRngr
    567 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dice still has to write the server code. Those guys dont write it the pay EA / DICE to have access to the server software so they can rent servers. If they turned it over now it would be in the same position possibly worse than it is now except the API would be out there to use.
  • Wrath39
    152 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NetRngr wrote: »
    Dice still has to write the server code. Those guys dont write it the pay EA / DICE to have access to the server software so they can rent servers. If they turned it over now it would be in the same position possibly worse than it is now except the API would be out there to use.

Got ya
  • Remiflop
    72 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What do you mean by server code? BF1 is using same variables in the config as BF3/BF4.
  • NetRngr
    567 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Remiflop wrote: »

What do you mean by server code? BF1 is using same variables in the config as BF3/BF4.

Different engine requires a whole new rehash of the host software due to subtle changes which is why they couldn't just port the BF4 code. Yes variables are same/similar but base instruction code is different which is why this should have been in concurrent development with the game. Now they are playing catch up because EA couldn't make up their mind on if it was going to be 3rd party or if they were taking it in house. Notice you rent the servers from EA not DICE.
  • Remiflop
    Different engine requires a whole new rehash of the host software due to subtle changes which is why they couldn't just port the BF4 code. Yes variables are same/similar but base instruction code is different which is why this should have been in concurrent development with the game. Now they are playing catch up because EA couldn't make up their mind on if it was going to be 3rd party or if they were taking it in house. Notice you rent the servers from EA not DICE.

First off, how do you know this?

I agree with you. It takes time (apparently) for them to re-write the hosting system and UI and they probably do not have 10 people working on it.

But why does it take so long to re-write simple configurations settings for the servers? I mean take a setting like "Squadleader Spawn Only", it was there in BF3 and it was there in BF4. Now this tiny setting is in the news post, highlighted as a amazing new setting, coming up.

In my opinion it is lazy, unaware, zero knowledge to previous Battlefield games / multiplayer games. I mean come on, the freaking settings are right there in front of them. They do not need to ask us questions. They do not need to say "soon". Whoever created the first RSP update, where the system got released, really messed it up, BIG TIME. And now with the current client/server update system it takes ages for them release any new updates.

What would take couple of days/weeks in other companies is now taking months in DICE/EA, because priorities are messed up and money is likely more important.

/rant over
  • NetRngr
    Remiflop wrote: »

First off, how do you know this?

I agree with you. It takes time (apparently) for them to re-write the hosting system and UI and they probably do not have 10 people working on it.

But why does it take so long to re-write simple configurations settings for the servers? I mean take a setting like "Squadleader Spawn Only", it was there in BF3 and it was there in BF4. Now this tiny setting is in the news post, highlighted as a amazing new setting, coming up.

In my opinion it is lazy, unaware, zero knowledge to previous Battlefield games / multiplayer games. I mean come on, the freaking settings are right there in front of them. They do not need to ask us questions. They do not need to say "soon". Whoever created the first RSP update, where the system got released, really messed it up, BIG TIME. And now with the current client/server update system it takes ages for them release any new updates.

What would take couple of days/weeks in other companies is now taking months in DICE/EA, because priorities are messed up and money is likely more important.

/rant over

Hahaha. Well I've talked with Ali about it and I've been a Network Engineer / Client Server guy for close to 30 years now. Needless to say I have a little experience on how things work client / server wise. They are also moved to, if my information is correct, a Microsoft Azure platform for the virtual servers for BF which throws a whole new spin on the instruction code server wise as well.
    I really dont blame DICE so much as EA for this debacle. I do feel DICE should have pushed EA into finalizing plans for RSP servers but I also realize that EA was the sugar daddy in this relationship and you can only push the cash cow so far. This is why we're stuck with buggy launches and things like the RSP being in the state it is. Unless studios go the crowdfunding route, like Star Citizen is, they rely on the big name publishers like EA to foot the bills. The problem arises when EA is only willing to put forth X dollars before launch. If the game is remotely playable they push the studios to certify the release gold so they can start distribution.
    I've been on the periphery of game development for years. I've Alpha / Beta tested such games, mainly MMOs, as Ultima Online (which EA screwed up after buing Origin Studios), Asheron's Call, WoW, Rift, and a few other lesser known games. I've also worked as online support (Kinda like Braddock but in game) in UO and AC. I can tell you for 100% fact that the publishers be it EA, MS, and to a lesser extent Blizzard push releases. Blizzard does less of this now as they have seen the folly in doing so but the initial release of WoW was pretty bad and little of the UI suggestions we Alpha/Beta testers told them should be there wasn't and was patched in at a later date.
    That said I do understand the need to start bringing in capital as soon as possible because these things aren't cheap to produce. Think about paying 50 to 100 guys salaries and benefits etc plus hard costs like equipment, software, net access and licensing fees for tools/ platforms for two to three years minimum without any return. This is why preorders with swag are now a thing. Back in the day this didn't happen. Also titles like DOOM, Wolfenstein etc were much simpler to code and did not require the capital investment modern day titles require.
    All that taken it does not excuse the lack of foresight on EA's behalf to not have RSP servers in concurrent development early in the process. This was known to be something that would be desired immediately if not at launch very shortly thereafter and what features were available to BF4 admins. I say it was known because DICE hired the dev of PROCON for Christ sake so noone can tell me it wasn't, just ain't gonna compute guys. Instead EA drug their feet and didn't finalize plans until the 11th hour and this is where we are.
    The CEO of EA/DICE could come on here and tell me that's not what happened but I would have to raise the BS flag. I've been around the game development community far too long to be blind to what has happened here and while not surprised I'm still disappointed in DICE for not pushing harder.
  • NetRngr
    Oh and to answer your other questions which I forgot in my rant...
    It doesn't take an overly long time to do it It's quite obvious from Ali's post:
    Now that the latest Battlefield 1 Game Update 121316 has been released, let’s look forward on what’s on our agenda for future updates.
    They haven't been working on it. The push was to get the DLC and OMG streamer fixes out the door before ever touching the RSP. If RSP Admin tools had been priority they would mostly be done and tested by now. Face it none of the stuff we consider basic functions are anything more than a database query, insertion, or deletion. Not a lot of coding either.
    Again I see EA's hand in this saying "No we need to push this content and fixes and then we will worry about the RSP ."
  • -SE-FULCON-ARROW
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Dice are using a 'pay as you consume' Cloud based server rental program. So any money there getting now, is 100% more money then what they were getting before when server rental was outsourced.
  • Remiflop
    Thanks for the good reply. I remember it got rumored some time ago: "Instead MS Azure, Amazone, AWS and i3d will provide server resources to DICE"
    http://www.anarchygaming.uk/Forum/battlefield-5/bf1-server-rentals/

And agree it is EA who is likely issuing different agendas for the DICE devs on what is important and not. Same thing kinda happened with BF4, where it took some time before DICE LA and the CTE project really got started. Maybe we get the same treatment as priorities changes over time?

Always been a bit baffled by EA/DICE decisions regarding Battlefield-series. I remember that they outsourced the game UI and VOIP for BF3 - there was no in-game VoIP just this Sonar-thingy - likely to safe some time to get it released earlier. In BF4 / BF1 we get in-game VoIP back, but the UI is still terrible.
  • 53MT3X-11
    436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    I can not disagree. Facts are facts and the stats and money trail does not lie.

With any sort of fix for RSP 3 to 6 months after the game gets released is terrible. The game should not have been released in it's current state. Yeah I think it is great everything might be good by the Spring DLC in March but many players will not buy the DLC and many will have stopped playing BF1 altogether by then.

I wont be paying for DLC. I said after BF3 with all the bugs left ignored and all the nerfing and messing about to please the whiners that I wouldn't buy another BF game again.
    I foolishly took the plunge again with BF1 because this one looked okay but I was wrong. It's far worse. What they have done with the servers is just beyond stupid.
    I mean who in their team gave the green light to this idea and thought it would be okay?

Where are the Admin controls? Where are the lower slot servers i.e. 24/48? Why are the required number of players to start a game so high? Why is the server browser a load of pants? It's all just plain ****. Anyone would think they are deliberately trying to kill it off. Short of no servers at all I can't see it being any worse than this?

It's like they just don't give a t0ss. Long term they are shooting themselves in the foot. If they think the budget was tight for this release, god knows what they'll have for the next. release - if there is one. You're losing the confidence of your customer base - especially the PC community on which you are founded and if that makes sound business sense to you then go ahead, carry on. Keep churning out console scr*b titles to please 8 year olds. Nice knowing ya.
  • Wrath39
    152 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    53MT3X-11 wrote: »

It's like they just don't give a t0ss. Long term they are shooting themselves in the foot. If they think the budget was tight for this release, god knows what they'll have for the next. release - if there is one. You're losing the confidence of your customer base - especially the PC community on which you are founded and if that makes sound business sense to you then go ahead, carry on. Keep churning out console scr*b titles to please 8 year olds. Nice knowing ya.

Sadly judging by the amount of accounts on each platform, PC has become the step child. It appears from what I've seen most of their revenue is coming from consoles...

• NetRngr
    Wrath39 wrote: »

Sadly judging by the amount of accounts on each platform, PC has become the step child. It appears from what I've seen most of their revenue is coming from consoles...

The problem is this. PC players generate far more revenue in the end. Copies of BF4 are still selling, Servers are still running years after the release. I guarantee they have made more from PC sales and server rentals that was made from console sales. What we have is a lack of foresight and the desire for bucket loads of cash when they could be getting wheelbarrow loads of cash.
  • CrashCA
    951 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Same goes for ours.
  • FlopTrain
    506 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

The problem is this. PC players generate far more revenue in the end. Copies of BF4 are still selling, Servers are still running years after the release. I guarantee they have made more from PC sales and server rentals that was made from console sales. What we have is a lack of foresight and the desire for bucket loads of cash when they could be getting wheelbarrow loads of cash.

This isn't a PC vs consoles problem. It is an EA problem. Console admins want to be able to rent servers and moderate our communities, just as much as PC players.
  • Axlerod1
    1353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited January 2017

Here is someone who wants to complain about PC issues yet he is running Minimum PC requirements for this game. Must be DICE's Fault he is running a 5yr old PC that he can not run Ultra everything in his settings.

The minimum spec:

Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
    Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    Graphics card (Nvidia): Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Hard-drive space: 50GB
    The recommended spec:

Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
    Graphics card (Nvidia): Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Available Disk Space: 50GB
  • NetRngr
    FlopTrain wrote: »

This isn't a PC vs consoles problem. It is an EA problem. Console admins want to be able to rent servers and moderate our communities, just as much as PC players.

Never said it was. Historically the rented servers are by far PC based and well thats the community Im coming from so its the side I see. Also in the past lets say the admin features for consoles have been shall we say lacking as compared to PC based servers. I think it's effin awesome that you guys are gonna finally get PC level controls we just actually need to get those controls in place which is the issue affecting all of us at this point.
    Wasn't trying to make this an us vs them thing.
  • WarCriminal_954
    636 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    my entire clan refunded their premium over the holiday. 100+ members @ $49.99 a pop = $5k lost for EA.
  • PBS-powerbits01
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    my entire clan refunded their premium over the holiday. 100+ members @ $49.99 a pop = $5k lost for EA.

Wat do you guys play now?
  • WarCriminal_954
    636 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Wat do you guys play now?

vanilla on pub servers and rainbow six seige