Support Weapons(LMGs)

Shrimpopulus
14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited January 2017
I have noticed a very underwhelming amount of players using the support class, and those who do use a couple guns in particular. He only guns I ever seem to use or see other people use are the MG15 Na Suppressive, Lewis Gun Suppressive, and the Bar M1918 Storm. The reason people use these is quite simple: they are accurate. The worst part is that the first two I mentioned are only really worth using beyond CQB(also not ideal for LMGs)if the bipod is deployed. The Bar is an entirely different beast and would be a good assault rifle, but it's supposed to be an LMG. While I like this gun, I don't like the fact that I have to trade off a large magazine size for accuracy slightly better than a potato. This turns the weapons into nearly irrelevant at any gunfight due to the blatant counters. In CQB, assault reigns supreme, as it should, and at longer ranges, a half-decent sniper will kill you 9/10 times. Even if you do manage to kill one, there is bound to be another seeing as Scout is, at least in my experience, the most played class by a mile. At medium ranges, DMRs are incredibly powerful. So where does this put LMGs? A very bad spot, in my opinion. Being a Support kinda guy, it saddens me to see this. I still do very well with them after practice, but all of the other weapons have ease of use and have a much higher payoff with power and accuracy overall. I think the way you amazing people at DICE could address this is by taking another look at the mechanic in place for LMGs in that they grow more accurate after firing over time. Perhaps you could lessen the time/shots it takes to gain accuracy or even, in my opinion, remove the mechanic. BF4 had LMGs in a very competitive position, so long as you managed recoil and bullet deviation. The general message I'm trying to get across here is that LMGs seem to have a very low skill ceiling due to the bipod and the horrible mechanic that LMGs possess. There is no depth to the gunplay within the class and it is generally not satisfying to use these weapons. Please consider my feedback and feel free to respond no matter what, I'd love to hear any and everyone's opinions/views on the state of the Support class!
Post edited by Shrimpopulus on

Comments

• BaronVonGoon
    6737 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    How about some paragraphs.

You clearly haven't tried the Madsen Storm. It's only the best weapon in the entire game.
  • Deltazulu6
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Or you could git gud. I run the Lewis Low Weight and aside from snipers camping three miles away, I have no problems in any situation.
  • Shrimpopulus
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I didn't see it fit that I put this in paragraph form because it is all getting across a single point. As for the Madsen being the "best weapon in the game", I would disagree. Sure, it is good at a medium range, but that is besides the point. The BAR is overall a better weapon in my eyes. Ten extra rounds in the mag does not warrant its blatantly lower damage output. Personal preference does not defeat hard statistics. I like all the weapons to an extent, but here is little reason to use them IMO.
  • MARAUDER71
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dont know... Since the patch I've had ALOT more deaths from LMGs.. They definitely seem more accurate from my end!
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My fave is the 1909 Mercie-Benet, telescopic on most maps. Absolute laser beam. I've "sniped" guys out of the Airship undercarriage with it before.
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    How about some paragraphs.

You clearly haven't tried the Madsen Storm. It's only the best weapon in the entire game.

You know, it was my absolute favorite and now I'm hooked on Mr Henry.. I really need to pull the madsen out because I love that thing
  • oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    There still too rng unless bipoded, also with damage and damage drop very much the same as the pistol class they feel more like automatic pistols rather than lmgs. The usage stats show lmgs at 14% usage vs 20% for rifles and self loading rifles and 23% for smgs, lmgs are clearly out of balance with the other classes if the lmgs were fine they'd get the same usage as the other guns.
  • w0lf1986
    109 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Lmgs are in a great place imo. The BAR storm is a beast!!! One of the best guns n the game.
  • skippylarue
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    oJU5T1No wrote: »
    There still too rng unless bipoded, also with damage and damage drop very much the same as the pistol class they feel more like automatic pistols rather than lmgs. The usage stats show lmgs at 14% usage vs 20% for rifles and self loading rifles and 23% for smgs, lmgs are clearly out of balance with the other classes if the lmgs were fine they'd get the same usage as the other guns.

I don't think this is really true. There are other reasons players favour playing Assault and Medic over the Support class that have nothing to do with guns.
  • Shrimpopulus
    w0lf1986 wrote: »
    Lmgs are in a great place imo. The BAR storm is a beast!!! One of the best guns n the game.
    Like I stated within my many statements, the BAR simply is not what i see as an LMG. It is essentially an assault rifle that is limited by the horrible progressive accuracy mechanic in the game. Not a bad gun, just hardly an LMG by my definition. I just want it to where, like yourself, the only ones that I ever seem to see are the ones that hardly suffer from this silly mechanic, such as the bar or the bipod LMGs.

• skipperdog106
    389 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's the best class around bar storm for cqb maps and m1909 mercie-benet telescopic for longer range maps just bipod it becomes a range snipper killer
  • skipperdog106
    389 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's the best class around bar storm for cqb maps and m1909 mercie-benet telescopic for longer range maps just bipod it becomes a range sniper killer

• Shrimpopulus
    I think it's the best class around bar storm for cqb maps and m1909 mercie-benet telescopic for longer range maps just bipod it becomes a range snipper killer
    Sorry for the extremely delayed reply! I would agree with you there were that true, but it simply is not. It is indeed a fun class and somewhat effective(I still do very well consistently), but the other classes possess far more consistent and powerful weapons. The LMGs are good within the medium range, yet so are the DMRs. The heart of the problem is that SMGs are better in CQB, DMRs are better for medium ranges, and Snipers are better for long range. So, where do LMGs come in? In my view, nowhere. You might say they are good at suppressing, which is true, but why would you not just want to kill them instead? You just miss the first few shots and suppress them to no end until they are dead. Well what about the high damage model of some LMGs? They are somewhat proficient in CQB and medium range, but they quickly get damage drop off that, to the credit of a previous person in this thread, makes them more of the like of an automatic pistol with the bipod. The most versatile of all LMGs, BAR M1918 Storm, is very good in its own reguards, but I have personally can't understand why you would want this over the Hellriegel. This gun has a 60 drum magazine and is extremely versatile and perhaps the most versatile weapon in the game. I'm just asking that LMGs lose this casual and horrid mechanic and turn in to a weapon class with a skill gap beyond aiming at your target and holding RT/MB1.

• oJU5T1No
    901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    oJU5T1No wrote: »

I don't think this is really true. There are other reasons players favour playing Assault and Medic over the Support class that have nothing to do with guns.

The majority play the classes for the main weapons thats why you get medics etc who don't heal and revive there just playing the class for the dmr's, support has good gadgets like unlimited ammo , explosives and with the cross bow really good grenade spam and players in this game like to throw grenades rather than shoot there gun, so I don't think its the gadgets that turn players off the support class I think its the weak lmgs that turn players off the support class.
  • Sadiztic
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    LMGs are in a great place. MG15 Storm is a beast. You must be terrible.
  • oJU5T1No
    Looking at the usage stats i'm pointing out the lmgs aren't used as much as the other main guns when all the other guns sit just above 20% usage and the lmgs at 14%, if the lmgs were properly balanced wouldn't there usage be in line with all the other primary guns?. Only a prat would try and counter that argument with "get good".
  • Shrimpopulus
    Sadiztic wrote: »
    And you must be ignorant. I said LMGs as a whole, and I would say that that gun is mediocre, I already said I do well with them all, yet you say I must be terrible. I'm also not naive enough to believe that the fact that an LMG is good at suppressing makes it a good gun, I'd much rather kill people as consistently as the other weapons in the game that so blatantly out damage these weapons.

• HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And you must be ignorant. I said LMGs as a whole, and I would say that that gun is mediocre, I already said I do well with them all, yet you say I must be terrible. I'm also not naive enough to believe that the fact that an LMG is good at suppressing makes it a good gun, I'd much rather kill people as consistently as the other weapons in the game that so blatantly out damage these weapons.

They work well in my soldiers hands
  • Shrimpopulus
    edited January 2017

Again, I do very well with these weapons, but it's not a hard task to look at raw stats, general performance, and the usage of these weapons to determine that these weapons are, for the most part, outclassed by almost all other primaries at most ranges.

• HardAimedKid

Again, I do very well with these weapons, but it's not a hard task to look at raw stats, general performance, and the usage of these weapons to determine that these weapons are, for the most part, outclassed by almost all other primaries at most ranges.

Yeah because most people are bad. I don't get outclassed when I run support lol