Giant's Shadow - What do you like/dislike about it?

Comments

• DingoKillr
    4343 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I would have made the Airship 2 flags beside/parallel to the train track, adjust the E closer to the center line move A further north and reduce the southern flank on B.

This shorten the distance between D and F, A and C. But keep roughly the same between B and C, D and E.

I would have put a small clump of trees between E and B on the hill to reduce Heavy Vehicle access while allowing Infantry and Horses thru. The Field gun on the hill could be moved up to the tree line.

Between D and F I would have added a small fortification or a couple of derail carriages just to break the open ground but not blocking the track. Like C to B has the houses and lumber. The 2 HE auto cannons would be on hill above C and D.
  • METAL0VER
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Add it on operations already!
  • MugsTV
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I share most of the opinions here. So instead of listing them again, I'll just say the one thing I really want.

I want this map to be included in Operations.

That is all
  • DANNYonPC
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    And in what operation do you wanna see it ^^?
  • spitfiresiemion
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    I like:

1) Domination on this map - way more open and non-linear than most of other DOM maps. Also, 150 tickets by default make it neat.

2) Combat on A, B, F, and, to lesser extent, E flags. They hold their ground in terms of infantry combat.

3) The zeppelin cannon - it is a nice risk-reward option for holding infantry pushes.

4) Impact of fog on this map. Especially in DOM. Limiting visibility to 30-40m actually solves plenty of issues.

I dislike:

1) Width of the map. It is way, way too narrow. It successfully prevents almost all attempts at breaking the deadlock, as there is nowhere to flank. Adding all that extra terrain below the zeppelin would help A LOT (although it'd probably require adding a 7th objective)

2) No cover on approach to zeppelin - if enemies hold both C and D down, it becomes borderline impossible to get yourself back into the area, especially from British side. In combination with 1), it can result in 'Open air Op. Metro' situation quite easily.

3) This one is related to 1) - the flight area for the planes is way too narrow and a bit too short. At this point, repairing plane without getting out of bounds is quite a challenge. Dogfights and plane attacks in general become way more shallow because of that too.

4) While the cover in C-D area is better than on approached, it still isn't nearly enough for the scale of battles that happen there. Plus, the tug-of-war there can really deter a lot of people. Way too often it feels as if the map pretty much was limited to the zeppelin. I get that focus point is needed, but it's a bit of an overkill.

5) Train placement. On most of train maps, it can be of some use in pretty much every location (except Suez). On GS, it's borderline useless everywhere perhaps C (as let's be honest, cap of back flag is close to non-existent). However, I don't really see any way of changing it (pushing the whole tracks further to the middle would make things a bit over the top in blimp area). Make whole tracks go from the south, around the blimp? It could work with epanded map and 7th objective, but it would be way too much redesign to make it worth the effort.
    More will come (at some point). Added points have their numbers underlined.
    Post edited by spitfiresiemion on
  • OLr4M
    33 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If Giant Shadow is any indication as to what we are going to expect from the DLCs, then we're not going to be expecting much.

GIANT Shadow is lame one sided map. E and F are at a huge disadvantage. They are so far from anything that you'd be better off killing yourself to redeploy somewhere closer. Also, the time they spent working on E and F is a disgrace. Too open, and your at a downhill disadvantage... ABCD has all the action and cover. They got towers, they got trenches..

I mean cmon DICE! W.T.F. Where are all the god damn trenches on these maps!!! World War One last 4 years and you guys can't even put a trench longer than 50 meters in this game.
  • Sgt_kkn_
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    well not to be an ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but.
    personaly i think the majority of the maps need a good upgrade and add more covers, the only maps i like so far is the wood one and the city one, this becouse those maps are not filled up whit snipers most of the time.
    for me personaly its not funn and it ruins the game, and im starting to play it less and less, and i start to favorite bf4 over it now.

well the C and D flags should be mover more to F side, since A and B side would be the first one on it and cap it and hold it down, there should be a height limiter for ppl not in the planes so they dont end up camping on top of the blimp and sit there camping and sniping.
    ive seen enough snipers camping on the backend ( tail) of the blimp sniping ppl on E and F side.

on sinai dessert the B flag hill need to have more acces to it, after the hill up to it is damaged/down only planes can take them out realy, unlesss you have a sniper team trying to take them out.
  • Crispy_Pinguin
    1598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would like to see more cover, Some places are way to open!
  • Graphic-J
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Map is good looking from the town side down to the blimp but it's very open and bland on the pother half side of the map.

BUT most importantly of all Please tone down the fog. It stays on too long, on all maps especially this one.
  • killswitch805
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    I love the look, feel and atmosphere of this map but it could use a lot more cover, especially when travelling from F to E and E to D/C and to a lesser extent B to C/D. Also, it’s not fun to spawn on a flag into the middle of a field, just to be left out in the open to sniper fire and tanks. Without a vehicle, its practically impossible to travel from C to F.

The map feels somewhat unbalanced in it’s flag placement. The downed airship (flags C and D) are too close to objective B. It’s much easier for the German side to hold their flags on their side of the map, opposed to the British side, where they have to travel much farther to get to the flags on their side of the map (F and E).

The map would greatly benefit from added cover between flag F to E, E to D and B to C. This could be in the form of added buildings (like the farm buildings at E), giant artillery shell holes, or just more hilly terrain to hide behind. I feel very exposed when moving between these objectives.

Thanks for taking the time to read my feedback!
    Post edited by killswitch805 on
  • AMEN2THAT
    178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Giant's Shadow RUSH map needs some work

plNvO4G.jpg

Currently, as you can see from the screen above, Giant's Shadow map is being half used in RUSH which is really disappointing (it feels like we back on BF4 where RUSH maps were made with feet... and i am being generous here) so please DICE, PLEASE, let us RUSH players enjoy the full map and add 1-2 more bases to it

Also you could add some transport vehicles (horses/jeeps/bikes)
  • plain_ole_pain
    276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Like most have said more cover is sorely needed. You have some flags that feel a million miles away with no cover to get there and than you have C&D. Those 2 flags so ridiculously close so all the fighting ends up being on those flags 90% of time. I like fog but the fog on this map feels like it's being used because you realized not enough cover was present so you skimped by using the fog.
  • BaronVonGoon
    7054 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can we do a thread for how Sinai Desert has zero fluidity?
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    First of all, out of all the complaints on here I agree with very little of them. Here's my complaint.. The game is somewhat stripped down from what people have come to expect from BF (which I love the stripped down nature of it). With that though, you guys can't put out a game with 10 maps at release?

Then of all the maps in the game this is the one that everyone waited for? It seems to be nothing more than thrown together map with the cherry on top being super dense annoying fog.

Then let's take it a step further, lets give everyone who wants one a noobtube that replenishes its own ammo.. just don't get it. Giants shadow is a failure in my eyes, I do enjoy the game very much though.
  • Kindley
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I really like the abundance of cars, in other maps it feels like I have to run everywhere I go but I'm playing a battlefield game, there should be vehicles to jump into! And just like many others are saying I think it needs a lot more cover to move from point to point. Maybe some.. trenches?
  • gran5fam
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I would like giant's shadow eventually added to the operations gamemode. Perhaps link it to another future map.
  • MyEasyButton
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As many other have said, the cover is pretty barren if you're at B or E and need to travel on foot further into the battlefield. If you get dropped into a round with the pea soup fog, it provides plenty of cover, but it's a drastic change in gameplay that can become not fun.

Fighting at C/D can be pretty nuts at times. This is a positive, btw. :-)
  • TriggerHappyDad
    164 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The german side has the clear advantage, winning 8 out of 10 games.
  • trip1ex
    5225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    The dislike all starts with the blimp. It screams gimmick. It's too early to have a gimmick map. Even a free one. Stands out like a sore thumb.

Then the fighting under the blimp at the middle 2 flags doesn't feel great. The terrain is so dark. Everything blends in. It's a bit hard to navigate. It's not interesting. And the flag zones at C&D feel too long.

And yet most of the action takes place under those 2 middle flags (C&D.) They are in the middle and owning the middle is an advantage.

Meanwhile the best parts of the map are the back flags. F and A are most interesting then B and then E. I particularly like the little river under the bridge between B and A but not much fighting goes on there. I like going under the bridge and along the river bank. I like going on the rooftops at A. The buildings at F are fun. The rails could be fun if there was more fighting there. B is fun when there are battles there. E harder to make a stand at. I don't really enjoy going back and forth between D and C.

I don't think the map is too open. There's ridges and cover on both sides. Players can use smoke. There's a few vehicles. I see flanking to back flags all the time. Players can use flares to find enemies at back flags. Few use smoke or flares in these cases even though freely available to all and they work great.

The other annoying thing is the fog. Fog, like sandstorms and nighttime, makes every map feel the same. It also makes you wonder why you have a nice monitor and gpu or why you can't crank out 40 fog maps in 6months since they all look the same and play similar. IT seems like this map sees fog more often than any other as a way to provide cover for players who don't know how to use ridges/vehicles/smoke etc, but I find it more annoying than anything.

Anyway...it's a new map still. Some maps grow on you. Some lessen over time. But I think the blimp focal point is a gimmick and actually the least interesting part of the map. And that's the main issue. To fix this???? That's a tough one because it would involve a total remake of the middle. And not sure what would fit in the middle instead of a blimp and make sense. Forest and a stream that flows down into the river? Another group of buildings? Trenches and outpost stuff? Crops? Hay bails? Farmhouse? Silos? TRactors?

Fog is an easy fix. Less fog less often.

Post edited by trip1ex on