BUG - Enemy Spotting with RB

jmottone
43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
@mischkag , I understand that there is a cool-down period (a penalty for spamming RB to spot enemies), however, could you and the team please address the issue with the inability to spot enemies. I have seen MANY other people posting the same thing and hear MANY people talking about it while playing the game. The RB does not spot enemies like it should. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't, so of course, the user tries again, and by that point the penalty has kicked in because the spot didn't work the first several times. Please Fix enemy spotting.

Comments

• RichardPye843
    206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    I am experiencing this also. The spotting is broken for me. I have had it work properly before so I know it is broken. The problem is not the spamming after a spot but the initial spot to begin with. It does not work a large majority of the time. You can not spot anyone! Not even the first time in plain daylight. It may work a few times during a match but it does not work a large majority of the time. You can spot planes and that is all for some reason.
    Post edited by RichardPye843 on
  • hawcer
    3289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I feel the problem lies in what the game thinks you should be able to see, dust storms, fog, smoke, gas, etc....if it's there...you can't spot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, even though you can see the enemy. It's prolly their way of minimizing spam spotting . But I think if I can see them, I should be able to spot them regardless of any vision obstruction.
  • DarIthris
    317 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2016
    I already called out on DICE because the spotting is a HUGE and much more important feature in BF1 because we can't see anyone when they fire their weapons. Sure, the cooldown is a bit of a agitation but doable but when the spotting is not...well, SPOTTING! It becomes a absolute hassle. What is worse is that a giant tank can hide in a small chest high bush and not get spotted. Literally a poor reworked system.
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer DICE
    Thank guys for bringing this issue up to attention. I can confirm that there is room for improvement and we are working on it. First of all it needs to work reliably: if your reticule is intersecting with the player u like to spot, it has to work. It also would benefit from less latency there and perhaps some sort of communication of the cooldown period. The latter is purely there to prevent button mashing which can be used as an exploit.
  • TheFeury
    143 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Are you guys planning to make it so that we have to be pointing exactly at the person to spot them? Or will there be a few degrees around them so you can be slightly off?
    It's really frustrating to get the cooldown period because you were barely not pointing at the person.
  • mischkag
    We need to see how much we allow being off which also might need tweaking for near and far.
  • TheFeury
    143 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    That's fair. I think you'd probably need more room for error if they're close to you, because if someone's running across your screen it's hard to track them exactly.
    Thanks for the quick response!
  • jmottone
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thanks @mischkag for responding. As far as the reticule intersecting, I agree, that should be a must for a valid "SPOT", but just because you dont have your rifle scoped in does not mean that the enemy should not be spotted. Its even a hassle when using the trench periscope. You pretty much have to have the crosshairs directly on enemies for a "SPOT" to be detected. But the worst is the spotting from further away. This almost never works even when there are 4 enemies in your frame of view, not a single on gets "SPOTTED" unless you pull up your rifle and scope in on them. I am glad to hear you guys are willing to look at this constantly frustrating issue. Also, here is my 2 cents on a new feature....How about some type of audible or visual response when a cool-down threshold is hit. That way, we can learn by trial and error what the cool-down period is and adjust our gameplay accordingly. Maybe a setting to activate or deactivate the flagging or the threshold being reached, so that once we have gotten used to the threshold, we would no longer need the flag and could then deactivate it via our settings.....
  • mischkag
    I did make it much much easier and reliable now to spot in the distance. And yeah I agree with the UI feedback of the cooldown. I wish it would not be necessary but the truth is that the button mashing is a too simple exploit. Spotting should be a tactical instrument and not a way to easier see enemies with the involved UI (of course it helps, but that should not be the main motivation). Anyways, once we have it up and running on CTE, i would love to hear feedback and will adjust accordingly.
  • jmottone
    I understand completely, but regarding tactical instrument, in real life, if you see the enemies, you could point them out to a trench-buddy...Like "hey Joe, there they are in the bushes", and Joe could look in the bushes and see them too.....I mean if you can see them on your screen and youre looking dead at them, that is by all definitions, "SPOTTING" the enemy... Dont get me wrong, I do not agree with running around spamming the RB Button, and the cool-down time is warranted. My frustration lies in the game essentially not spotting enemies, even the first time you press the RB Button...Like just last night, I was on Argonne Forest...I was on one side of the bridge...There were 4 enemies running onto the other side of the bridge. I look at them, click RB Button, and not a single one of them were spotted. So I hit RB again, still not spotted, by that time, it's too late to spot.