How I use the artillery truck

Blackmarkers
386 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Seems like a lot of players think the artillery truck is useless and the only thing people do in them is farm infantry kills. That's true, but it can be so much more effective. Whenever I get in one I feel like my main responsibility is to take out enemy tanks. After that, its playing the objective. I bet my vehicle vs vehicle kdr is something like 25:1.

I have my PS4 record settings to last 10 minutes so here is a sample of my artillery truck gameplay. I don't remember what happened before or after those 10 minutes, but I felt like I was having a good game so I just randomly saved a clip. I would say this is pretty common/on the good side.

- 19 total kills
- heavy tank with main gun
- another heavy tank with main gun
- a landship with mines
- a heavy tank with mines
- 1 roadkill
- disabled a heavy tank (think I ultimately got it with the mines later)
- helped kill another landship (did most of the damage)
- killed a calvary unit
- helped kill another heavy tank (did most of the damage)
- killed a sentry
- destroyed an AA (guy was shooting infantry with it)

I love hunting vehicles and the artillery truck is one of the best tools to do that. If you use one, make sure you make use of those mines too! If you are taking an objective back, put some down on the way out. Also destroy any cover the enemy could use to their advantage. The artillery truck is also the best anti sniper tool in the game. All these things combined can really help your team.

The other day I was hunting a level 100 tanker coward (almost 9 million tanker score) and he would not come out of hiding. I had about 15 roadkills cause I was driving around all over the place looking for him. If you are careful with the routes you take, this thing is like an armored horse.

Comments

• CarjaMartell
    531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited January 2017
    The heavy tank makes the artillery truck absolutely obsolete.

-More seating capacity
    -Much more heavily armoured
    -Can fire while moving
    -Can be spawned on because of more seats

It's simply a much more versatile bit of kit than the AT.

The only + that the artillery truck has is it can shoot 360 degrees, but the heavy tanks thicker armour makes this obsolete as it can rotate and still be able to take the same amount of hits as a full health AT.
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Not impressed, it's basically a nonkillable sniper on a rock with huge k bullets. Yes it's great for SUPPORT, but it's not going to help you quickly own objectives. That tank that you just saw and killed that came moving into your view? He's been murdering our team for the last 15 minutes until he tried to spawnrape and came into your view :expressionless: .

Biggest drawback is that you are denying your team a spawn point close to the objectives that a heavy tank or land ship could provide
  • CarjaMartell
    531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Having said that, I am glad you're not a hill humper knob jockey like most AT drivers are, so I applaud you for your good work sir.
  • Blackmarkers
    386 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The point of the thread was to show that the guy in the AT might be doing more than you think. The second part was to encourage other AT drivers to take on a bigger role than just killing infantry.

I'm not comparing it to another vehicle and I'm not saying its better than another vehicle. They both have their pros and cons and they each play their own role. Some sectors, a heavy tank would be much more useful and in others, the AT truck.

You guys mention the great parts of the heavy tank and they are great, which is why I feel like I'm contributing a ton to the team when I destroy the enemies heavy tank. I deny them a spawn point and hold off their push. Whenever I use the AT truck, almost no enemy vehicle will survive. The "return" you can get using an AT is incredible. You say its a nonkillable sniper on a rock with huge k bullets... EXACTLY. Why wouldn't you use that to your team's advantage?

Btw, my thoughts about the AT are based on playing operations and using it mainly on defense.
  • ChaosIsMyMaster
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The point of the thread was to show that the guy in the AT might be doing more than you think. The second part was to encourage other AT drivers to take on a bigger role than just killing infantry.

I'm not comparing it to another vehicle and I'm not saying its better than another vehicle. They both have their pros and cons and they each play their own role. Some sectors, a heavy tank would be much more useful and in others, the AT truck.

You guys mention the great parts of the heavy tank and they are great, which is why I feel like I'm contributing a ton to the team when I destroy the enemies heavy tank. I deny them a spawn point and hold off their push. Whenever I use the AT truck, almost no enemy vehicle will survive. The "return" you can get using an AT is incredible. You say its a nonkillable sniper on a rock with huge k bullets... EXACTLY. Why wouldn't you use that to your team's advantage?

Btw, my thoughts about the AT are based on playing operations and using it mainly on defense.

and its great against planes :)
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I didn't say it was bad, teamplay wise the heavy or land ship are just a lot better. Like I said a sniper on rock with huge k bullet. Not much different to me then other snipers sitting on a hill when trying to PTFO. Might take out the armor if I spot it 5 times lol
  • AnzacPete
    242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @blackmarkers, +1 nothing wrong with sniping from the edge. Ive have my tank taken out plenty of times by those pesky trucks without ever seeing them.
  • zodemere
    447 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Truck Tank rules but its sooooo squishy!
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited January 2017
    Seems like a lot of players think the artillery truck is useless and the only thing people do in them is farm infantry kills. That's true, but it can be so much more effective. Whenever I get in one I feel like my main responsibility is to take out enemy tanks. After that, its playing the objective. I bet my vehicle vs vehicle kdr is something like 25:1.

I have my PS4 record settings to last 10 minutes so here is a sample of my artillery truck gameplay. I don't remember what happened before or after those 10 minutes, but I felt like I was having a good game so I just randomly saved a clip. I would say this is pretty common/on the good side.

- 19 total kills
    - heavy tank with main gun
    - another heavy tank with main gun
    - a landship with mines
    - a heavy tank with mines
    - 1 roadkill
    - disabled a heavy tank (think I ultimately got it with the mines later)
    - helped kill another landship (did most of the damage)
    - killed a calvary unit
    - helped kill another heavy tank (did most of the damage)
    - killed a sentry
    - destroyed an AA (guy was shooting infantry with it)

I love hunting vehicles and the artillery truck is one of the best tools to do that. If you use one, make sure you make use of those mines too! If you are taking an objective back, put some down on the way out. Also destroy any cover the enemy could use to their advantage. The artillery truck is also the best anti sniper tool in the game. All these things combined can really help your team.

The other day I was hunting a level 100 tanker coward (almost 9 million tanker score) and he would not come out of hiding. I had about 15 roadkills cause I was driving around all over the place looking for him. If you are careful with the routes you take, this thing is like an armored horse.

Cool.

You do realize that with your playstyle, you'd be about 173% more effective using the heavy tank than the Party Truck right?

That way, not only could you do well, but your team could spawn on you and help push with you, give you cover, repair you, etc.

The Party Truck is a selfish vehicle, unless it's limited specific use is to target an ace pilot on the other team.
  • rochford
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Played a round of conquest, we were defending the first set of flags on Sinai and the enemy abandoned their arty truck at b.. I stole it, and it was handy for quite some time. Sucks you can't spawn team mates in it but for defending an objective the front mount machine guns and the turret make for some good firepower in a pinch
  • THAGURT
    418 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Step one pick the aa truck. Step three profit.
  • PrecisionWing
    643 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Use the AA truck, sit behind your first flag, you can create a no fly zone of at least half of the map if not the whole map and enjoy some ez kills
  • Thumper2671
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Whenever I use the Artillery Truck, I constantly move to another capture point, the one that is currently being attacked or the one closest to me. I don't use it often though.
  • wrghjkv
    700 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Landship-tank hunter kit is better for AT purpose.
  • ILoveBF2Fin
    486 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    wrghjkv wrote: »
    Landship-tank hunter kit is better for AT purpose.

This. Though you are probably still better off using the artillery truck if you are playing solo. Just as I said my opinion about the bomber in that one bomber thread, if you spawn on a landship solo and not with a friend, you will remove teamwork and communication at which point you have already lost like half of the vehicle's usefulness.
  • MotchiMoose
    150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Imo tankers should take out; vehicles, all stationary guns including ones in the next sector so your Airship on the next round lasts longer and any buildings you can to remove enemy hiding spots. After that go nuts on the infantry.
    I'd say if you want to use that truck, just keep moving, do some damage, move etc, if you stay in 1 place for too long you probably won't last long. If you stay at the back of the map sniping with it then you maybe stopping your team from advancing, especially in Rush/Operations tactics. It can be a good vehicle, the other tanks are way more effective as far pushing objectives go though.
  • CyBeas7
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    I’ll jump in the Mortar truck if we get the Blimp because it EASILY knocks out enemy AA, and it can take out enemy vehicles easily from a safe location. It also has the added benefit of smoking and gasing areas for your team to capture. However even if you are doing some serious work in these trucks and you helped keep your blimp alive for 5 more minutes it’s just not good enough for some people, and they complain about it in chat. But the reality of it is that you must really suck if you can’t take a point when someone has all but cleared the area for you and has smoked and gased it. So since they suck they like to blame other people for their lack of skill.
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't understand why people bother with the standard Arty Truck package unless you don't have premium. The Spotlight Chammond is superior in every way except speed, and if speed is your thing, the Standard Garford package is a pretty much a complete upgrade as well. Plus you become a mobile spawn point. The only viable Arty truck package right now is the mortar but that thing is cancer to an attacking team that is trying to push.
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Over a year, nice necro ;)