Trench Fighter is a better bomber than Bomber Planes

funkywhale
1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Man, so I'm ranked 10 with Pilot and have been for a while. The Bomber plane has always been my favorite to pilot, although sometimes frustrating when you can't get a good gunner. Recently my friend suggested I try out the Trench Fighter and holy jesus is this thing ridiculous.

The darts on the Trench Fighter are soooo much better than the Bomber plane in almost every aspect except anti-vehicle. On top of that, you get a fast and nimble fighter plane that is incredibly easy to stay alive with compared to a Bomber, as well as a machine gun allowing you to dogfight entirely on your own.

It's seriously so easy to come in for strafing runs and get multi-kills with the darts. They are instant damage and completely shred infantry. I really think DICE needs to take a look at the Trench fighter's darts. I really don't have any desire to fly Bombers anymore after experiencing how godlike the Trench fighter is, and that's honestly a bit sad. A Fighter plane IMO shouldn't have such an incredibly dominant anti-infantry weapon.

Comments

• Charly0871
    226 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You said it yourself. It's very easy to use and super effective against infantry but kind of crappy against vehicles.
  • MAADDEE
    165 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Charly0871 wrote: »
    You said it yourself. It's very easy to use and super effective against infantry but kind of crappy against vehicles.

99,9% of pilots farm infantry and ignores vehicles...
  • AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    negative, the barrage bomber devastates both infantry and vehicles
  • DrDacreamer
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MY planes

Choice 1 :: When solo
    Trench fighter, no doubt...best plane for solo piloting

Choice 2 :: When with friends
    Torpedo Bomber...pretty much nukes a small area, but you need some squadmates who are going to help out in seats 2 and 3
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Trench fighter still feels like this game's dirty little secret.

The plane no one is talking about.

The Trench Darts are great, and you are basically a wasp buzzing around an irritated kid when you go up against an attack plane - they just cant compete with you
  • The_Decapitat0r
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 2017
    I personally think they are OP. The darts were buffed a fair bit in the November patch. It is too easy for me, once you know how to time the release of the darts in the 3rd person view, you can kill full health infantry while maintaining great maneuverability. In the menu description it says 'primarily a dog fighter with the added ability to harass infantry'....it doesn't fit that description, more like farm/slaughter infantry, you can even kill a flame thrower sentry at full health, I did it once but then felt bad afterwards when it actually killed them because I thought it was OP. Tbh I think who ever decides the balance didn't get good enough at it before deciding how strong they should when buffing it in November.
  • ColonelCuckold
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Trench is good against infantry, bomber can decimate infantry and vehicles alike...one needs a full complement to maximize effectiveness, the other does not...see what im getting at here? There are compromises and trade offs for different situations. My personal opinion is that the trench fighter shouldnt even exist, but that's another story
  • Charly0871
    226 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I personally think they are OP. The darts were buffed a fair bit in the November patch. It is too easy for me, once you know how to time the release of the darts in the 3rd person view, you can kill full health infantry while maintaining great maneuverability. In the menu description it says 'primarily a dog fighter with the added ability to harass infantry'....it doesn't fit that description, more like farm/slaughter infantry, you can even kill a flame thrower sentry at full health, I did it once but then felt bad afterwards when it actually killed them because I thought it was OP. Tbh I think who ever decides the balance didn't get good enough at it before deciding how strong they should when buffing it in November.

I think it's a few inches away from being OP. The only map where IMHO is definitely OP is in Sinai Desert on Operations. No AA's available in the whole map. Even if you have the chance to spawn in with the AA truck there is no place to take cover and a free line of sight for all the assault players.
  • I-ron1n-I
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The Ground Support attack plane is still far more broken, especially if you have a decent rear gunner.

I don't think the trench fighter is OP per say, I just think the other fighter variants need to be buffed or reworked. The Dog fighter is literally useless. And the bomber killer is really only great for performing its namesake.

The dart buff really didn't do that much. They were just as deadly beforehand, was just that no one was using it much before then because the AA was so broken. So suddenly when that changed, people started dying to darts, so they built up placebos about the damage.
  • trip1ex
    5098 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    Yeah it is pretty easy to take out infantry with it. I do pretty good with it.

But today went against a guy that just dropped the stuff on aa gunners from the top of the air ceiling and never seemed to miss. Must have it mapped out where to drop. Maybe was looking at just the map to drop those. He went 59-0. Had no chance at gunner except I could see them coming so I could have got out and maybe moved out the way. But AA gun couldn't reach that high.

I think that the tactic of dropping the darts from the top of the air ceiling and hitting aa gunners with no problem needs a looking at. The darts should not be that reliably accurate from that high up. Seemed ridiculous to me at least. We'll see. Maybe it's harder than it looks. I doubt it. Already not too hard to take out gunners by dive bombing or coming from below and up and over.
  • boutneus
    2479 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    OP vs infantry and uncontested. OP overall, mmm don't think so. Problem is the low hp, and unlike the assault plane ur main sucks vs infantry, so you can't shoot pilots out like the assault planes do. And no rear gunner to watch ur back.

U literally gotta buzz around like a bee all the time, but I got 80 service stats for it, because it's easy to use if there a lot of noob pilots in the sky
  • CHAOTIC_PIEMAN
    216 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Attack is better you can dive and use the guns and then bomb them
  • Snazzy_Snafu_OG
    166 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I still prefer the ground support Attack Plane with a good squadmate being my rear gunner, but when I play alone, I indeed take the Trench fighter every time. It's insane against infantry, but I find it is only effective if you're pretty low to the ground. Sometimes when I'm in a dogfight at a decent altitude I'll just drop the darts randomly if the HMGs overheat and I'll get over 100 points, but no kills or assists counting as kills. I might just have bad luck, but I feel like the Trench Fighter is pretty balanced as a whole.
  • KorpusDraige
    2353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    The Trench Darts are great, and you are basically a wasp buzzing around an irritated kid when you go up against an attack plane - they just cant compete with you

Depends on the pilot, to be honest. I mainly fly the Attack Plane but use the Fighter Plane when I dogfight or in cases when I really need to (which is not very often). For the 99% of the player base, the pilots in the Fighters have no awareness, so that cancels out their speed advantage.

But yeah, I think the Fighter is better than the Bomber, but that's because I find the Bomber boring :p
  • H-Rod777
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The problem is the trench fighter is like the martini Henry. It's very close to being OP but if they nerf it, it will be way less viable
  • BL4CK_W4LL_
    803 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    That trench fighter is slowly catching on and becoming the most deadly plane on the battlefield. I've seen rediculous K:D with then already. Rivaling heavy tanks.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Trench fighter still feels like this game's dirty little secret.

The plane no one is talking about.

*Except for the 9/10 times the rear gunner shreds the fighter.
  • funkywhale
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For anyone doubting how great the Trench Fighter is, here's a pretty good montage of how powerful it can be:

• Deviancy
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've only recently started to use the planes on a regular basis and I have to say the trench fighter is ridiculous. Quick and nearly impossible to kill with AA unless you are flying directly at and over the guns. Ground support attack plane is my favorite though when it comes to maps with a high number of choke points. Only tried the bomber twice, and neither time did I get a gunner in either seat.
  • beanerage
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    After 95 service stars in an attack plane I decided to switch to fighter for a bit....why didn't I switch sooner? Completely dominates any air threat and has great anti infantry tools in the downtime.Its lacks in not being able to destroy AA/buildings but is still by far the best plane.