Weekly Debrief

Has anyone ever solved this? (netcode)

Rroff24
140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
With less than 20-30 players and all players below ~70-75ms latency its like the game is running me half a second ahead of every one - I do really well, as soon as someone with a higher ping joins or the player load creeps over around 30 it suddenly switches as if I'm half a second behind anyone else - result I go from dominating a game to dying constantly trying to do the simplest thing = incredibly, like I can't even convey, frustrating. Seems to affect me much more than other players. Duplicated it playing with 3-4 friends - they can't touch me when its just 4 of us with low latency - as soon as another person with a higher ping joins they constantly kill me no competition.

(Awaits inevitable posts about packet loss, jitter, its your PC/connection as if I haven't already eliminated any of those factors).

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Never noticed an issue.
  • Rroff24
    Yeah most people don't seem to have it - but I've seen the odd person posting describing the exact same thing so was wondering if anyone had ever found the root cause of it. Strangely it seems to affect all frostbite engine games built on top of the same version as BF4 - same thing in Battlefront and BF1, etc. but I can play all other games like I'm on LAN on servers with <30ms latency.
  • NOVA-GOA
    281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Play on 60hz servers. 30 hz is just a crap shoot at times.
  • TrueEmissary
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yup, i can absolutely confirm this behavior. It's like beeing out of sync for 0,5 to 1sec. Seeing someone throwin' a nade and getting killed by his mainweapon during his throwing animation it's nothing unusual for me.

The best way to describe this behavior is some sort of rubberbanding, but without the typical symptoms for yourself. It's not me, who is getting repositioned from the server, but the other players. Seeing someone getting revived doesn't mean he is standing up where he was getting revived, but maybe quite some distance to the left or right (and no, they were not crouching away, at least not visually for me).

Without making you too much hope, i could minimize this behavior to some degree. Sounds silly, but well...use the newest NIC-Driver (at least it helped me) and play on servers above 30hz. I guess you can't do much more on your end.
  • imdun-dealit
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Why does return 5; and return 0; produce the same result in any compiler and return- 50; yet again produce the exact same result yet on this useless cell phone, -50 loaded twice as fast.
    In gonna keep playing with this. See where I go and how many holes are filled.
    Might just fix a few things along the way. .
  • pinchylillobster
    972 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've never experienced it, and this is the first I'm hearing of it. If it's not a connection issue then I would try playing on a higher tick rate server. Anything less than 60hz expeiences God awful netcode issues.
  • Rroff24
    edited January 2017
    Without making you too much hope, i could minimize this behavior to some degree. Sounds silly, but well...use the newest NIC-Driver (at least it helped me) and play on servers above 30hz. I guess you can't do much more on your end.

Might try updating NIC drivers as while I've kept on top of most other drivers the NIC ones are the original release version - however I get the same behaviour on 3 different systems and more than 1 different internet connection - its like its somehow tied to my account.

Higher tickrate doesn't make any difference to this at all - though it does make some things more responsive it doesn't change the way its like I'm either half a second ahead or half a second behind most other players with nothing inbetween at all.
  • Rroff24
    Already using latest NIC drivers - didn't think it would be that anyhow I see the same on my gaming laptop which has a different NIC.

Been playing around with disabling Interrupt Modulation on the NIC but doesn't seem to make much odds aside from maybe reducing the number of times trying to reload takes more than one attempt before it "goes through" and 1-2 actions like that.
  • Rroff24
    edited January 2017
    Sigh this is driving me up the wall - I can play all other games like I'm on LAN if I choose servers near me but any Frostbite 3 engine game (Battlefront, and BF1 and hardline betas when I tried them, etc.) is the same and its frustrating to try and play seriously and impossible to play skilfully with anything that isn't a super spammy weapon.
  • Dm10O
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited January 2017
    ''has someone ever solved this?'' Yes.
    I know how to fix this, be sure to try my method and you'll notice a reduction of the problem.

Open notepad and paste the code below, then Save As, ''netfix.bat'' and go where you saved it, rightclick > Run as Administrator

THIS CODE:

ECHO ON
    ECHO Attempting to fix your problem.
    netsh online
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh winhttp reset
    netsh firewall delete
    netsh interface ipv4 reset
    netsh interface ipv6 reset
    netsh interface tcp reset
    netsh interface portproxy reset
    netsh interface httpstunnel reset
    netsh rpc reset
    netsh http flush logbuffer
    PAUSE

Reboot PC after that, and voila, play much more smoothly.
    The point is many corruptions can sneak into your Windows networking stack along the road of using it.
    Post edited by Dm10O on
  • Rroff24
    Didn't fix it - does make web browsing snappier and the game overall a little smoother but I'm guessing that will even out again once the firewall policies repopulate. Still have the same thing where either people are complaining because I'm constantly "killing them before I appear" (when everyone has low pings plus <30 players) or I'm dying to other people before it feels like the game has caught up (most of the time with mixed clients) and nothing in between.
  • Rroff24
    edited January 2017
    Tried everything I can think of even changing multimedia bandwidth throttling, etc. its very noticeable as on bumpy terrain like the snow on lockers its either the normal so-so ability to traverse when the game is acting like I'm half a second ahead of everyone (and I can move around other players fine) or I'm bouncing and sliding all over the place and struggling even to do basic movements when the game is acting like I'm half a second behind everyone else and bouncing around when going near other players (its not my connection).

Guess its another casualty of some random weirdness with the inept 10Hz "netcode".
  • Rroff24
    Nothing? no one? what a joke.
  • NOVA-GOA
    281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just a question are you playing over wifi?
  • PlanoPete
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    msrp24 wrote: »
    Nothing? no one? what a joke.
    You had a couple of people respond to you. Maybe the lack of response is due to no one else having your problem. Maybe it's your pc/internet. My guess you will come back with another snide remark.
  • Rroff24
    edited January 2017
    NOVA-GOA wrote: »
    Just a question are you playing over wifi?

Nope - gigabit wired into router and 80/20Mbit "FTTC" VDSL2+ - on UK servers I get like 5ms min, 7ms avg, 20ms max, 0.5ms jitter, 0% packet loss according to the in game netgraph I mostly play on euro servers where I get something like 10ms min, 16ms average, 22ms max, 0.9-1.7ms jitter, 0% packet loss. I have an i7 4820K (tried with and without overclock) and a GTX1070 combined with a 1440p G-Sync monitor and using a "lowpro" graphics config so framerate is consistent and high. I can play other online FPS games like I'm on LAN but BF4 consistently acts like I'm playing on dialup despite it not being reflected in any numbers I can see - I know its not normal as my brother used to play when he lived here and had a very different experience which leads me to believe that somehow in some strange way its tied to my account - I've several different connections including a dedicated gaming one as other people who live here work from home a lot and require reliable connectivity. I've been playing online games since about the time of Quake 1's release so fairly conversant with the ins and outs of it.

I'm fairly sure it isn't down to connectivity as not only have I tried different connections but also its reproducibly changing based on the player load on the server I'm in with it acting almost like I have significant negative latency with lower loads and no high ping clients and acting like I have significant additional latency when anyone with even a remotely poor connection joins (way beyond what anyone else in the same game seems to experience).
    PlanoPete wrote: »
    You had a couple of people respond to you. Maybe the lack of response is due to no one else having your problem. Maybe it's your pc/internet. My guess you will come back with another snide remark.

I just find it incredibly frustrating as there is nothing else active really that has the same kind of gameplay I'm looking for and I feel considerably held back by what appears to be some random issue with the game rather than my skill or the skill of other players - I could understand it if I had like a constant 300+ms ping or something. I'd go and play something else instead if there was any real options for scratching the itch for this kind of gameplay but currently most alternatives are either inactive or require messing about with 3rd party lobbies, etc.
  • Sk1lld
    554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    There was a video in the past showing the BF4 engine can get out of sync, if there is an operation running in the back round.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, turn off origin in game, make sure nothing is running in back round, no overlays etc.

Only things I can think of.

P.S. Computer specs in the future would be helpful, we have no way to see what hardware, memory, HD or CPU you have. It could be a case of the PC being stressed to the max.

Peace
  • Rroff24
    edited January 2017
    Origin in game is off as after one patch it was interfering with the reliability of key press input. There are no issues with DPC latency or anything like that but I can't rule out it being some background process that is resulting in the game going out of sync - bit odd that it seems to correspond with the quality of other client's connection in the same server though.

Just tried using the built in version of Internet Explorer to launch the game from (previously tried with Chrome and usually use Firefox) without it being any different which interestingly from the one game I played seemed to change how badly it was happening so it might be related to some kind of plugin/browser/origin interaction issue somewhere.

Kind of ruled out PC specs as I have tried 3 different systems and have a fairly decent spec - main gaming system being an i7 4820K with 16GB RAM, GTX1070 and running off a Samsung 840 EVO SSD (I've also previously had it running off the second SSD in my system which is a completely different brand).

One aspect there that I need to test is that I'm using a Creative X-Fi soundcard which in previous Frostbite engines I believe had its own audio routines due to utilising special features of the card and its possible there is some weird conflict there - the game was pretty glitchy and did all kinds of odd things due to sound bugs on release.
  • Sk1lld
    554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Then I would pick up a DPC latency tool, and see if something on the PC is flooding the bus with IRQ requests.

The most likely culprit, I find, is the sound driver, or sound drivers conflicting with nic drivers.

GL
  • Rroff24
    As mentioned in my post above there are no DPC latency issues - I've tested that extensively - hence why I get a bit snide as I'm way out infront of those kind of issues.

Internet explorer was a false alarm - next map someone joined with 230ms ping and it was like everyone on the server was a second ahead of me the worst I've seen it yet.