Stationary Machine Guns are terrible

SLF-Raug
132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I dont understand how, in this game, a machine gun that is MOUNTED to vehicle or wall etc is SO INACCURATE! You cant it anything with those guns, and the spread pattern is completely random. And they dont even do much damage.

Meanwhile, support class players are running around ADS firing massive belt fed, 150 round LMGs that are pin point accurate?

This game is so stupid sometimes its painful.

Comments

• superteds
    1218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    agreed on HMG's being a bit pointless, they should either hit for a lot more or be almost a laser imo (taking on the pillboxes should be a challenge for example) but the second comment about run and gun ADS LMG's being pin point? lol, after a few seconds of firing maybe.

ed- my favourite one is the roof top one on C at Sinai pointing at the canyon exit for B - that one can get you some serious kills if you time it well.
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The emplaced LMGs have been historically crappy in Battlefield games, they're super inaccurate and usually can't be aimed beyond a certain point... Which is a thing with real machine guns to force fire discipline and keep them to their fields of fire. But the inaccuracy coupled with low damage mostly means you just get your head shot off pretty quick.

The passenger tank machine guns are pretty worthless too. I've hit people from about 50m and gotten 7 damage. And there's the whole aim bug/glitch problem too, where the bullets don't follow the crosshairs, or randomly go off target despite no player input.
  • SLF-Raug
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Considering that you have to 'enter' the mounted guns, where you are a sitting duck for snipers or basically anyone.... Its pretty stupid oversight.

If anything, mounted machine guns should be super accurate, and support LMGs should be less.
  • DrDacreamer
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Support LMGs (except the BAR) are still underwhelming even after some buffs.

Mounted MGs really need better accuracy and damage. As well as being able to be mounted almost instantly and have it so your character's head is barely visible. Currently it takes almost a full second to mount and instead of peeking over to aim the MG your character literally exposes 1/2 his body
  • MAADDEE
    165 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Stationary and vehicle machine guns are just as crap as player ones. Doing like 17dmg/hit at best, with random spread, it's a joke.
    Also the vehicle ones heat up so fast, that even if you hit someone, it overheats, before it does 100 dmg to him omg...

In the first place what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ design is it, that the machine gun become inaccurate after a first shoot and become more accurate if you continue firing? like dfq? In real life they fire a few shots as the first few will hit where you aim, and then stop and re-aim. In bf1 you are inaccurate at first but afterwards you going to get magically "more" accurate, unless you overheat before it ofc.
  • SLF-Raug
    Yes, passenger tank guns are terrible as well, as are the boats mounted machine guns (and with those you cant see anything anyway)
  • Rotank
    981 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I seem to remember the mounted machine guns being pretty good in the BFBC series, as well as the downloadable BF 1943 (you could wreck from the hilltop bunkers on Iwo Jima.) In BF4, the mounted guns were just in the most terrible positions imaginable, often overlooking areas that weren't even a significant part of the Battlefield. In BF1, it feels like anyone can tank the damage and outgun them with small arms.
  • superteds
    1218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Rotank wrote: »
    I seem to remember the mounted machine guns being pretty good in the BFBC series, as well as the downloadable BF 1943 (you could wreck from the hilltop bunkers on Iwo Jima.) In BF4, the mounted guns were just in the most terrible positions imaginable, often overlooking areas that weren't even a significant part of the Battlefield. In BF1, it feels like anyone can tank the damage and outgun them with small arms.

yeah they were generally useful in BF2, 2142, BC2 (can't remember BC1 or BF3).
  • Rotank
    981 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    superteds wrote: »
    Rotank wrote: »

yeah they were generally useful in BF2, 2142, BC2 (can't remember BC1 or BF3).

I think in more recent iterations, they've become used more and more for background aesthetic without much regard for strategic importance. I can remember in BF2 being able to single-handedly defend entire flags simply manning the stationary machine guns.
  • SLF-Raug
    MAADDEE wrote: »
    Stationary and vehicle machine guns are just as crap as player ones. Doing like 17dmg/hit at best, with random spread, it's a joke.
    Also the vehicle ones heat up so fast, that even if you hit someone, it overheats, before it does 100 dmg to him omg...

In the first place what **** design is it, that the machine gun become inaccurate after a first shoot and become more accurate if you continue firing? like dfq? In real life they fire a few shots as the first few will hit where you aim, and then stop and re-aim. In bf1 you are inaccurate at first but afterwards you going to get magically "more" accurate, unless you overheat before it ofc.

Ya the damage is pitiful.

The stationary machine guns DONT get more accurate the more you fire them though. Thats only for LMGs. Yet another reason that i think stationary MGs are terrible.
  • chase_garrison
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They should be like in Half-Life 2 where you just need to be near it to control the gun but can still duck and move a little.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just speculating here, but my guess would be that they didn't make them so powerful as to ensure people wouldn't just sit on them all round?

Wouldn't that stationary lazer beams of death everywhere, in a game where the purpose is to use your gun?

With that being said, the side seats of the tanks could be much stronger.
  • MikeMassey98
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I agree to this, they need to be buffed on damage to a 4 hit kill
  • AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    In the defense of mounted MG's, on Oil of Empires operations, Fao fortress at the first defense base, there is an emplacement that overlooks the river in between both objectives. Usually get lots of kills of people trying to swim across the river and snipers sitting on the hill in the distance.
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Just speculating here, but my guess would be that they didn't make them so powerful as to ensure people wouldn't just sit on them all round?

Wouldn't that stationary lazer beams of death everywhere, in a game where the purpose is to use your gun?

With that being said, the side seats of the tanks could be much stronger.

But there's that whole 'you're completely unprotected from a distant sniper (or even an enemy who's flanked you) while camped on a stationary weapon' trade off too
  • SLF-Raug
    edited January 2017
    ^^ exactly

right now its a terrible gun, with terrible positioning

And honestly, whats the difference between a stationary MG, and a support player with a bipod and a 150 round ammo belt?

The support player has often more RoF, higher accuracy automatic fire, comparable damage per bullet, more bullets until the gun overheats, can set up the bipod ANYWHERE on the map, AND can move super quickly to other locations.

Stationary MGs are just an afterthought, theyre void of any real function. They should be doing more damage per bullet and should be more accurate. They SHOULD be a threat on the battlefield, not a joke. Its a heavy mounted machine gun, they should be tearing through everything, at the cost of having your head sticking out for snipers.
    Post edited by SLF-Raug on
  • Petedawg508
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    yes, I do agree with this post. Machine guns in general don't seem to work very well in the tanks or fixed emplacements.
    The only time I use it is when the zeppelin shows up and I cant find an AA gun.
    Surprisingly, it does tear up those turrets on the zeppelin and doesn't really overheat.
  • Blackmarkers
    386 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yup.. only use them against the airship or ur getting ur head shot off

• 3XT3RM1N4TUS
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Stationary machine guns mounted on bunkers hit the concrete instead of enemies I am aiming at. Completely broken and useless.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No one bothers with them.

Ever.

That's all the proof you need to them being a useless item in BF1. They cant compete with the regular infantry guns.

In BF1943 they where deadly I seem to remember. That even made the cars with the exposed mounted guns more than just taxis.