Weekly Debrief

Lewis Gun Optical: Is it really that bad?

Rogue-N9
63 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
The Lewis Gun Optical is currently the least used LMG in Battlefield 1. So I decided to take a closer look at the stats as well as to test it out for myself, in order to see if it was really that bad.
Has anyone else tried out this particular LMG variant? If so, it would be great to get your opinions on this gun!

Comments

• kitfoo
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    That's why it's the starting weapon for support. As soon as you can, dump it for something else...like the BAR. At least the other MG (whatever the name is...french sounding one) is useful at long ranges.
  • BigF33t_13
    6677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I like the gun, but don't use it anymore for the same reasons. I hated the optical sight from day one. It really does give you that false sense of security. You really have to burst fire the gun to get that medium range effectiveness.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    I like the gun, but don't use it anymore for the same reasons. I hated the optical sight from day one. It really does give you that false sense of security. You really have to burst fire the gun to get that medium range effectiveness.

You only have one kill with it?
  • Deloeks
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's not that bad, I've used all Lewis guns to at least 100 kills, and my KPM and accuracy with the optical variant is a lot higher than the other 2 variants.
    I still prefer the suppressive variant because of it's larger magazine, bipod and excellent clear sights.
  • SmileAsTheyDie
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Usage percentage of weapons is a really poor basis of how "good" a weapon is. The only real thing you can draw from that stat is what weapons are easier to use due to having a lower skill floor.

For instance if you look towards the medic class the 1907 sweeper is the most popular weapon @ 22.2% of all medic weapons while the other 2 variants, the factor and trench, are at 1% and 1.9%

One might think, oh wow, the sweeper variant is being used 7x more than the other 2 variants combined, it must be a great weapon. When in reality the other 2 variants are better weapons than the sweeper. The only saving grace with the sweeper is that you get to be lazy and hold down mouse button 1 and it comes at the cost of weapon performance. So the sweeper is easier to use and is at the top of the usage charts while being the worst of the 1907 variants.
  • BigF33t_13
    6677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Yep. I only used it once or twice. The sights were annoying. The burst fire comment was meant to be for the Lewis Gun in general. Not just the optical version. The bullet damage is the same.
  • rogersten
    92 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I use the supressive version, much better
  • Kirister
    189 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    edit.
    Post edited by Kirister on
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yep. I only used it once or twice. The sights were annoying. The burst fire comment was meant to be for the Lewis Gun in general. Not just the optical version. The bullet damage is the same.

Are you sure you're playing BF1?

All the LMG's (including all Lewis variants) become more accurate the longer you hold down the trigger, at all ranges. So burst firing is not recommened at all since you have to cope with first shot recoil and don't gain any spread advantage for doing so, in fact you "gain" a disadvantage.

• rogersten
    92 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Kirister wrote: »
    The BAR is the only viable LMG to be honest, both close quarter and range, even hip fire (especially hip fire). All the other ones are pea shooters, they have abysmal time-to-kill, especially the Lewis at range. I hadn't played BF1 in months and I thought I read Dice buffed the lesser LMG. Nope, BAR still op, rest still crap.

How can they mess up weapon balance so much with such a low amount of weapons? BF4 was nowhere near as bad.

No problem with the Lewis at range or time to kill for me
  • Rogue-N9
    Deloeks wrote: »
    It's not that bad, I've used all Lewis guns to at least 100 kills, and my KPM and accuracy with the optical variant is a lot higher than the other 2 variants.
    I still prefer the suppressive variant because of it's larger magazine, bipod and excellent clear sights.

Yes, I think a bipod is a great attachment for the Lewis Gun. At least then you can get a stable platform while prone or behind cover. Shame the optical doesn't have one, I feel it should.
  • Rogue-N9
    Usage percentage of weapons is a really poor basis of how "good" a weapon is. The only real thing you can draw from that stat is what weapons are easier to use due to having a lower skill floor.

For instance if you look towards the medic class the 1907 sweeper is the most popular weapon @ 22.2% of all medic weapons while the other 2 variants, the factor and trench, are at 1% and 1.9%

One might think, oh wow, the sweeper variant is being used 7x more than the other 2 variants combined, it must be a great weapon. When in reality the other 2 variants are better weapons than the sweeper. The only saving grace with the sweeper is that you get to be lazy and hold down mouse button 1 and it comes at the cost of weapon performance. So the sweeper is easier to use and is at the top of the usage charts while being the worst of the 1907 variants.

I fully agree with you, usage percentage is just and indicator of the guns' popularity. In fact, I am hoping for a discrepancy between popularity and effectiveness, so that I can highlight some truly overlooked weapons. Sadly, IMO the Lewis Gun Optical is not one of them.

• emerson1975
    501 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Anything optical is more of an hindrance than help.
    They just seem to get in the way
  • Riking720
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The optical is ok but all support gun rely on accuracy and the optical isn't an aggressive gun because of it's slow rate of fire so without a bi-pod the gun is trash but the supressive and low weight variants at least have a overly decent accuracy.
  • G-Gnu
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Unlocking a new the Lewis is F***** boring and just plain ret**. Dice likes to Troll players, sometimes i think they gone from making serious good games to making games that are suppose to troll players while laughing all the way to the bank.
  • DeadLegMcQweef
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

the lewis gun is only good when you have your own server and bullet damage is 200%
  • Rogue-N9
    G-Gnu wrote: »
    Unlocking a new the Lewis is F***** boring and just plain ret**. Dice likes to Troll players, sometimes i think they gone from making serious good games to making games that are suppose to troll players while laughing all the way to the bank.

You mean the new Huot?
  • ThatLonesomeRoad
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unless it’s the Battle of Passchendaele. Then you can run with a Gewehr 98 infantry, an SMLE MKIII infantry or a Lewis Gun...
  • Titan_Awaken
    731 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Unless it’s the Battle of Passchendaele. Then you can run with a Gewehr 98 infantry, an SMLE MKIII infantry or a Lewis Gun...
    This thread is approaching 2 years, mate.

/necro