Weekly Debrief

Weather Effects: A "Premium Feature"?

KingTolapsium
5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I would like to discuss this before the DLC is released, and weather becomes a "premium feature".

Rather than sell the DLC with exclusive weather effects, I believe it would be more engaging and fulfilling for the community if the new weather found itself functioning on every map that would be appropriate for said weather effect.

Monte Grappa, Empires Edge, Fortress, Quentin, Shadow, could all have the new booming thunderstorm added. St Quentin, Monte Grappa and Giants Shadow could probably house a lite snow if such a weather effect is added.

Let's allow this amazing dynamic feature to slowly envelope the full game experience, instead of relocating all of the cool weather changes to a small portion of the game. Might also be a way to keep our non-premium soldiers engaged around dlc time.

Thoughts? Anyone else think weather belongs in all corners of the game, not just the premium corner?

(Reposted from the CTE reddit*)

Comments

• AbyssMessiah
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I might be guilty of not reading patch notes fully, but what do you mean by weather only for premium?
  • Riddenivory
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I might be guilty of not reading patch notes fully, but what do you mean by weather only for premium?

The French DLC is supposed to have some kind of Thunderstorm weather effect that can show up on its new maps. OP thinks these weather effects should be brought over to some of the maps in the base game.
  • AbyssMessiah
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Oh, I get it now, thank you very much kind sir.
  • Ggballday414
    625 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If you played the game upon release all the weather effects were present... and still are?
  • Blackmarkers
    386 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I cant wait till they put weather effects into battlepacks... gold snow.. oooooh
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you played the game upon release all the weather effects were present... and still are?

They are adding new ones with the dlc. I want those new weather effects on all vanilla maps where it makes sense.

Do I need to repeat anything else?
  • Ggballday414
    625 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

They are adding new ones with the dlc. I want those new weather effects on all vanilla maps where it makes sense.

Do I need to repeat anything else?

No, was referring to thunderstorms. There's a storm on the coastal map, Empires Edge.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    No.

If you want to give Premium members exclusive content, make it cosmetic.

Weather? That stuff effects matches.

Imagine the matchmaking issues as well; DICE can't even fill up servers properly to ensure balanced, even teams, and you want them to be able to introduce a system that can distinguish between "Premium Weather" players and non-"Premium Weather" players?

Good luck with that.
  • KingTolapsium
    edited February 2017
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    No.

Imagine the matchmaking issues as well; DICE can't even fill up servers properly to ensure balanced, even teams, and you want them to be able to introduce a system that can distinguish between "Premium Weather" players and non-"Premium Weather" players?

Good luck with that.

"Anyone else think weather belongs in all corners of the game, not just the premium corner?" :no_mouth:

Lol.... premium weather servers? I don't think you could've gotten me more wrong. :astonished:

I meant give everyone the new weather, as it's a stupid thing to sell, I don't think anyone is waiting for new weather to determine whether or not they purchase premium. Reminds me of horse armor.

@Ggballday414

There is a new loud thunderstorm in the French dlc.
  • mihai2011rom
    792 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's just some thunder. Nothing special. Calm down and buy premium if you want it so bad.
  • KingTolapsium
    It's just some thunder. Nothing special. Calm down and buy premium if you want it so bad.

Not the point at all.
  • Jedi76
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would like to discuss this before the DLC is released, and weather becomes a "premium feature".

Rather than sell the DLC with exclusive weather effects, I believe it would be more engaging and fulfilling for the community if the new weather found itself functioning on every map that would be appropriate for said weather effect.

Monte Grappa, Empires Edge, Fortress, Quentin, Shadow, could all have the new booming thunderstorm added. St Quentin, Monte Grappa and Giants Shadow could probably house a lite snow if such a weather effect is added.

Let's allow this amazing dynamic feature to slowly envelope the full game experience, instead of relocating all of the cool weather changes to a small portion of the game. Might also be a way to keep our non-premium soldiers engaged around dlc time.

Thoughts? Anyone else think weather belongs in all corners of the game, not just the premium corner?

(Reposted from the CTE reddit*)

But it has been put in as a Premium feature, like many other things.

If they start throwing everything they are developing for Premium at Vanilla then what is the point?

It's a small selling point for Premium, which is fine with me.
  • bleachee
    969 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's not a premium feature. It's a map feature. If you want the feature, buy the DLC. You don't have to buy Premium to see this, but you do have to buy the maps.
  • KingTolapsium
    bleachee wrote: »
    It's not a premium feature. It's a map feature. If you want the feature, buy the DLC. You don't have to buy Premium to see this, but you do have to buy the maps.

Seems a waste to only show off the effect on one map.

I'll be buying premium, no doubt, but I want the extra work I'm paying for to improve the whole game.
  • M0istGamer
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017
    I respectfully disagree with the OP. If I paid more than you did I want to eat a warm turkey dinner inside by the fireside and I wanna see you out in the street begging for food.

That's what the paywall is for. Creates haves and have nots.

Granted, if I didnt pay for the DLC already, I might fully agree with you. But I did. So i dont.

*BTW if the weather is tied to the map it has nothing to do with being a stand-alone premium feature. That's like saying Nighttime is restricted behind a DLC paywall. No, nighttime is just tied to one of the DLC maps.
  • TEKNOCODE
    10865 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    M0istGamer wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with the OP. If I paid more than you did I want to eat a warm turkey dinner inside by the fireside and I wanna see you out in the street begging for food.

Granted, if I didnt pay for the DLC already, I might fully agree with you. But I did. So i dont.

*BTW if the weather is tied to the map it has nothing to do with being a stand-alone premium feature. That's like saying Nighttime is restricted behind a DLC paywall. No, nighttime is just tied to one of the DLC maps.

Correction: Warm, M0ist turkey dinner...
  • KingTolapsium

Well I think nighttime should be on all maps.

The dynamic potential of the weather system is gimped if we retain the narrow mentality of only including some "special weather" as a single map feature, when it could be featured on all maps.

I paid for the vanilla maps, and i think the fog/rain/sand is getting a bit stale.

Should netcode improvements be a premium exclusive feature as well?

Just sounds needlessly selfish.
  • Jedi76
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017

The dynamic potential of the weather system is gimped if we retain the narrow mentality of only including some "special weather" as a single map feature, when it could be featured on all maps.

I paid for the vanilla maps, and i think the fog/rain/sand is getting a bit stale.

But it's extra content whichever way you look at it.

They gave you Giant's Shadow and fog for free (they were not in Vanilla which you paid for), just because you think it is getting stale, why should they give you anything else?
  • KingTolapsium
    Jedi76 wrote: »

But it's extra content whichever way you look at it.

They gave you Giant's Shadow and fog for free (they were not in Vanilla which you paid for), just because you think it is getting stale, why should they give you anything else?

Because the weather acts as an overlay, and turning the new weather on for vanilla maps couldn't be that difficult.

It's not like I can't use premium dlc guns while I play on vanilla maps.

Should netcode updates be premium exclusive too?

You worried non-premium members might get scared of the thunder?
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    No.

Good luck with that.

"Anyone else think weather belongs in all corners of the game, not just the premium corner?" :no_mouth:

Lol.... premium weather servers? I don't think you could've gotten me more wrong. :astonished:

I meant give everyone the new weather, as it's a stupid thing to sell, I don't think anyone is waiting for new weather to determine whether or not they purchase premium. Reminds me of horse armor.

@Ggballday414

There is a new loud thunderstorm in the French dlc.

My bad. I misread.

Ill get my coat.