Hit Detection

Comments

• jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The netgraph will never show you if you are fighting a poor connection.

Some issues are in the code and on the server side.
    Yeah, this is kind of my problem at this point. Since I know I was having the ping spikes it's going to be difficult to sort out where my problems end and the netcode problems begin. I'll just need to be patient for the fixes and hope CTE comes to console soon.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The netgraph will never show you if you are fighting a poor connection.

Some issues are in the code and on the server side.
    Yeah, this is kind of my problem at this point. Since I know I was having the ping spikes it's going to be difficult to sort out where my problems end and the netcode problems begin. I'll just need to be patient for the fixes and hope CTE comes to console soon.

It's certainly tricky. Not much you can do if your end is setup right and the netgraph is reading stable.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    jmottone wrote: »
    Well, when I started this thread, I never knew it would get this much action. And ever since the thread was started , its been about "ping this" and "netcode that"...Some of the Hit /Damage detection issues may indeed be caused by ping, but what really frustrates me, happened so many times last night that I quit and decided I will not play it again until an update is made, and if this issue is not fixed with the next update, I am just about done playing until someone can pull something together in the way of a decent update that addresses the bugs and issues that we've been talking about on here since November 2016.

I was on Suez map, an enemy was in the second floor of the building where the floor had been blown out. I ran into the building, he never saw me, and pulled up my SMLE Infantry [iron sights], aimed up, and shot the guy 3 (THREE) times, dead in the chest and body...Not a single hit marker out of 3 shots. He then moves out of view, and I figured he was coming down the stairs, so I moved from the room I was in, into the room where the stairs came down, KNOWING he was running down the stairs. I shoot him once again as he is running down the stairs and still does not see me, hit him DEAD ON in the SAME ROOM, This time I got a yellow hit marker (the color I have designated for head shots)...He turns around and shoots me once with a pistol...AND IM DEAD...Now the first 3 shots that did not register, maybe caused by ping, maybe not, but the head shot as he ran down the stairs that did not kill him was not a ping issue. It was a Hit Detection / Damage issue. It obviously detected a hit, but the close range, and the gun being used, and the head shot indicator ALL TOGETHER should equal certain and immediate death for the enemy. But sadly, no...Not in Battlefield 1...

I hit another guy, also on Suez, at pretty close range, about the equivalent of 8 to 10 feet (in the same ally), with the SMLE Infantry [iron sights], WITH A 'K BULLET' that I had just loaded, and hit him dead in the head....Yellow hit marker, signifying a head shot, he immediately shoots me and I'm dead...This gun can take out an enemy from across the map with ONE SHOT, yet close-range hit[damage] detection is almost non-existent.

Same thing with certain shot guns, and semi-autos in the Medic class.

Now, that being said, I can not say with 100% certainty that the first guys ping was not the culprit, but what I can tell you is that his happens way too often to be an issue only dealing with ping. It seems like any gun that can kill with one shot from long distances should also hit at close range with equal or increased damage and should likewise kill the opponent in his tracks. This is the hit detection that I am speaking of, and if this is indeed due to the ping of someone else, that I cant control, and you guys, the developers [ @mischkag ] , cant control it, then I feel like I have wasted money and time. Im getting frustrated also, because this thread has been He should never have time to pull out the pistol and get a shot off unless this is some kind of Call Of Duty perk called "Last Stand". I play Battlefield because in the past it has always been more realistic with damage and hit detection, but with BF1, more and more, I just keep wanting to turn the game off until you guys can figure out something. And you've been talking about how you have so much fixed, but yet no updates. I mean why do you guys take SOOO LONG to push an update? I first posted this topic in NOVEMBER 2016...And we are still talking about it. Still nothing in the way of updates or maintenance or small patches....Its getting pretty ridiculous, and I know a whole bunch of people that have quit playing it altogether because of this very topic.

I feel your sentiment.

Mischkag has marked March and the spring update as the patches that will finally help us low pingers out.

Waiting might be easier than daily frustration. Once you start really identifying the plethora of netcode issues, the play experience definitely deteriorates.
  • Cactus757
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have seen very similar things regarding hitmarkers. The one that happens consistently is the red kill hitmarker. I changed headshots to yellow and kill to red. I can be shooting someone and after a few shots get the red marker, but they're not dead, they keep on fighting. I've seen a headshot with a sniper do 17 damage from maybe 50m away. I think the high pingers don't register normal damage or there are even more issues in the servers code.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    @jmottone
    Not getting hit markers, even when you are dead on target, is a "netcode" issue.
    Not being able to kill with one shot, at close range, with a sniper rifle, is as intended.
    A pistol does more damage at close range than a scout/sniper rifle.
    (I think - correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but that's DICE logic weapon balance for you.
  • KingTolapsium
    denjoga wrote: »
    @jmottone
    Not getting hit markers, even when you are dead on target, is a "netcode" issue.
    Not being able to kill with one shot, at close range, with a sniper rifle, is as intended.

A headshot kills at any range. You can't kill faster than one bullet.
  • FlopTrain
    506 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Played again for the first time in a few weeks last night, seems like the netcode has degraded even more. Started seeing stuff, I haven't seen since the BF4 launch days.

I think around or after Christmas, Dice/EA changed up the way matchmaking was working and I see obvious OoR profiles, all the time in East US servers, now.

Devs have admitted that this game is developed to accommodate any connection, no matter how poor and it is really starting to show!
    Post edited by FlopTrain on
  • jmottone
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @jmottone

A headshot kills at any range. You can't kill faster than one bullet.

Yeah that has not always been DICE's logic, and it would be a shame to start normalizing that as acceptable among us, the loyal supporters of a franchise that has gained its followers by consistently delivering on issues like this. The problem is, that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. It is inconsistent. And @KingTolapsium, I am with you, if that gun kills with one shot from a long distance, a head-shot, even a body shot would most definitely kill from a close range. As distance decreases, damage should increase, if anything. @denjoga , You cant really say this is Dice's weapon logic, because in past games, the ability to "quickscope" and kill at close-range has always been very easy to achieve with almost any sniper rifle. Try to quickscope in Hardline or BF4, and then switch over to BF1 and try it. Guaranteed, 9 times out of 10, youll get the kill in Hardline/BF4, but 9 times out of 10, you will fail in BF1.... There is some kind of spatial, range-based issue going on with these powerful rifles, shotguns, etc that the damage just does not register correctly with short-range, DETECTED hits. Like I have posted before, that dang shotgun, the A10 Hunter, can kill from huge distances with one shot, but if you are 6 to 10 feet away from someone and shoot them, only about half the time, will you get a clean kill with a single shot. And I am sorry, but that is no kind of logic Ive ever heard of. If you get shot with a shotgun that close, you will be sporting a huge hole in your face and your soul will be painted on the wall behind you.
  • jmottone
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    But I am trying to remain patient, and I hate that I ranted while I was pissed off up way up there ^^^ ......I know @mischkag is working hard on bugs, and has personally been dealing with a lot of requests from the community, and wish to thank him again for his devotion to this community. I just wish his bug fixes would get pushed a little sooner, because like I said, this thread has been up since last November...We have to wait almost a whole quarter of a year to get some bug fixes pushed. I know I write a different kind of software, but when a bug is reported to us, we fix the bug and push the fix to our users as soon as possible. If we waited a quarter to push the bug fixes, we would lose the customer.
  • KingTolapsium
    I am in no way saying rifles should kill with one shot to the chest. At any range.

I would personally rather have lethal heart shots and headshots. That's it, sweet spot is dumb.
  • FlopTrain
    506 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    @jmottone It is hard to remain optimistic/patient when this has been an issue with every game since BF3 and nothing gets done about it, regardless of the flood of complaints over the years.

I appreciate having a dev, at least interacting with the community as much as everyone else on here, but he really doesn't have any say in implementing the changes that will have an actual impact on this series, in the long run.

Like ping limits, connection monitors, and regional matchmaking,..so I feel like we are just banging our heads against a wall here again, honestly.

I understand that due to Sony/MS and EAs ToS/agreements, we cannot just boot all poorly connected players out of EVERY server.

But why can we not have options to play locally or with other well connected players? Why are there no available options to play for well connected players, in a community that has been begging for them for years? Can someone please answer that for me?

Why doesn't EA have 25% of the available servers, have a connection monitor with some form of regional matchmaking? This certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility!

Dice/EA's failure to provide something like this, that the community desperately wants, needs and has been asking for, only makes them appear to NOT CARE AT ALL!
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It makes perfect sense to only allow premium players to be in CTE. They have a vested interest to go in and provide feedback through the proper channels. Not just go on for the joy.

Also given that there will only be a limited number of servers, this provides crowd control and limit frustration since there won't be a queue of 30 on the server.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I wasn't saying it's right (pistols more lethal than scout rifles at close range), I was saying that's how it was intended to be by DICE.
    And when I specify "DICE logic", I am implying that they (DICE) have their own unique ideas of what is logical... Ideas that few of us understand or agree with.
    I.e., there is no logic to DICE logic.
    Scout/sniper rifles behaving radically different in this title compared to previous titles is a perfect example of DICE logic.
    Non sequitur.
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense to only allow premium players to be in CTE. They have a vested interest to go in and provide feedback through the proper channels. Not just go on for the joy.

Also given that there will only be a limited number of servers, this provides crowd control and limit frustration since there won't be a queue of 30 on the server.

So a newbiw for example who got bf1 with premium for xmas has more interest to put feedback in then players who are with the franchise sincse day 1 so people without premium just go in for the joy. LoL.

Make cte ps4 pro only theyhave invested more in hardware so the loading times will be faster and better hardware can lead to more strain for testing. Same logic.

Most people didnt but premium because of bf4 and think that they game shoukd be premium worthy first before buying it.

All my opinion. To be honest this whole cte wont change anytihng ping wise.

As long ad dice and ea lack server support and there fore forces people out of their region bringing highrr ping sony and ms will say put more servers online before beginning with ping limits i think.

We will see what cte will bring. Hope what we want but im scepticwl because its been 5 year or so and ive heard all excuses from devs in the book.

• jmottone
    edited February 2017

So a newbiw for example who got bf1 with premium for xmas has more interest to put feedback in then players who are with the franchise sincse day 1 so people without premium just go in for the joy. LoL.

Make cte ps4 pro only theyhave invested more in hardware so the loading times will be faster and better hardware can lead to more strain for testing. Same logic.

Most people didnt but premium because of bf4 and think that they game shoukd be premium worthy first before buying it.

All my opinion. To be honest this whole cte wont change anytihng ping wise.

As long ad dice and ea lack server support and there fore forces people out of their region bringing highrr ping sony and ms will say put more servers online before beginning with ping limits i think.

We will see what cte will bring. Hope what we want but im scepticwl because its been 5 year or so and ive heard all excuses from devs in the book.

Stop being so confrontational....Jeeez....I think he was just saying that the # of CTE users SHOULD be limited and I believe that it pretty much is, so why argue about that on this thread? The CTE is a valuable test environment. And you can't just have EVERYONE playing on the CTE, and some CTE users are more prone to using the tool for its purpose as opposed to just getting on it to mess around.... And if it were my choice, it wouldn't even be premium players...it would be much more limited. Hand-Picked.... Limited to people that are working for the common goal of creating a more stable game, giving feedback and ideas to make the game better for all users. And the CTE is not going to change anything ping wise, because the CTE is a test environment where code gets pushed to test before it is approved for production pushes. So the dev makes changes to the code and pushes those changes to just the servers contained in the CTE....Then, based on feedback, those code changes, if they work well, can be approved and pushed with the next update, or they can be dropped and replaced by different code...It is a constantly changing environment that relies on users to test the code pushes.
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Im not argueing. I giving my opinion just like everybody else. Maybe some peolple english isnt their native language so therefore it could sound more brutal then intended. Cte is just so easy accepted. Game runs like crap. No worries. Just sell iy and we will test it months later. Maybe finish and test a game better before selling

Its like buying a new car. The car runs lije crap and i can come back 6 months later and pay a fee and then my car will get tested. Nice logic. Guess im too old to understand. Ive been hearing since about codimg and fixes since bfcbc2. The first bf game on the frostbite engine which is tje problem of this game. In bf2 bf1943 bf1942 we didnt have these probens. Remember those games. Most do not. Since the frostbite it all began. Beem almost 10 years so yes IM SCEPTICAL. Its just too bad because BF is the best shooter in its genre this is why in si upset about it. Its becoming worse every new title.

All again not angry at all or conftontotional to someone. Dont like my opinion. No problem. I wont lose sleep over it. :smile:
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Even with the amount of premium participants, there is still this peeps who only want the "perks" of CTE. As with other things in this world...it's just the way it is unfortunately, so I do understand DICE logic in respect to this area.
    I wasn't saying it's right (pistols more lethal than scout rifles at close range), I was saying that's how it was intended to be by DICE.
    And when I specify "DICE logic", I am implying that they (DICE) have their own unique ideas of what is logical... Ideas that few of us understand or agree with.
    I.e., there is no logic to DICE logic.
    Scout/sniper rifles behaving radically different in this title compared to previous titles is a perfect example of DICE logic.
    Non sequitur.

DICE logic = their own interpretation of "balance" for their game.....
    Im not argueing. I giving my opinion just like everybody else. Maybe some peolple english isnt their native language so therefore it could sound more brutal then intended. Cte is just so easy accepted. Game runs like crap. No worries. Just sell iy and we will test it months later. Maybe finish and test a game better before selling

Its like buying a new car. The car runs lije crap and i can come back 6 months later and pay a fee and then my car will get tested. Nice logic. Guess im too old to understand. Lol

All again not angry at all or conftontotional to someone. Dont like my opinion. No problem. Dont read it.

And yet....you continue to buy the car.... smh
  • Immortal_0neShot
    Yes i did but with less options. No premium no dlc. But if it continues the way it is im done you know. Its just to plsy with friends. Not all my friends have pc.