Has anyone ever solved this? (netcode)

Comments

• Rroff24
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited February 2017
    Nah it isn't anything like that - you'd have to play with what I have to see - I've played on my brothers install and seen the difference - something isn't working right somewhere.

I've been playing online games since Quake 1 was released and have advanced game development experience (check my channel from the video I linked before) its not simply down to how latency works which I fully understand.

EDIT: I think part of the problem is the engine can do the "rewind buffer" upto 1000ms (IIRC only vehicles are supposed to use the full extent of it anyhow but it doesn't seem to work out like that) and something is pushing me far into it when it shouldn't - there is some really funky backwards reconciliation going on at times that really shouldn't be happening.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited February 2017
    I updated my previous post noting the numbers are based on the HFU (inside) update rates.

The server always sends other player data to you at a rate of the tick. But the version of that data you get is based on 2 different rates. the inside HFU (30Hz) and outside HFU (10Hz). While X player is outside your HFU bubble and forward cone you receive info about them at a 10Hz update rate (1 every 100ms). Once they enter the HFU radii you start receiving at 30Hz for that player. When your "client" registers hits that data is sent at the equivalent Hz as your frame rate... meaning 144FPS = 144Hz (every 6.944ms).

Heavy server or client load could be your issue. Yet, the video shows the server as stable. SrvTick(ms) would climb upwards of 25ms if there was an issue there.

More players more client and server load. High pings is more lag comp time on the client side and further rewind time for the server when authenticating hits.

As far as the Frame History Time (FHT) is concerned I highly doubt you are being interpreted as a vehicle and subject to its offset.

Infantry FHT: 0.125
    Vehicle FHT: 1.00

Have you looked at lowering your settings? What are your specs?
  • Rroff24
    Not suggesting I'm being interpreted as a vehicle but it feels almost like the game is handling me with offset like a vehicle - given things like 1 in approx 19 TV missiles still kill the person who fired them rather than the target they hit though it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

As per earlier in the thread I use a "lowpro" config to hold 100+ FPS - 99% of the time I'm hitting 143fps capped - I'm fairly certain it isn't a hardware issue as I've changed hardware several times since the game has been released and still seeing the same issue - strangely it didn't happen in the beta but has plagued me since day 1 with the retail game. My main gaming PC is a i7 4820K with 16GB RAM, GTX1070 playing at [email protected] installed on an SSD, I also play it now and again on my laptop - i7 3610QM, 16GB RAM, GTX675m with the same issue.

One thing I get quite badly when it is bad is how the player moves over terrain i.e. outside snowy area on the lockers map I'm sliding all over the place really rubber bandy - if my brother jumps into the same server he has nothing like that maybe a little bit around high ping players but not all the time - netgraph is still showing a solid 6 or 20ms ping with no packetloss depending if I'm playing on a UK or Euro server.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Interesting. With that low of a ping and 0 PL you shouldn't be getting any rubberbanding unless the client is choking out on the rendering or if the server is under stupid load. If the server is under heavy load, everyone should be having issues.
  • Rroff24
    Honestly closest way to describe it is as if the game is updating me on foot like I'm a vehicle - its quite noticeable to me as I'm playing (and while there is a correlation with server load I'm fairly sure it isn't the root of the problem) that the game is acting like its rolling my ("authoritative") updates into somewhere between 500ms to 1000ms intervals (when its bad) and if it can't reconcile what I tried to do over that time with what everyone else did then I get quite a contrived outcome.

Given the number of other documented coding bugs where stuff does things it really shouldn't do it wouldn't surprise me if the game was bugging out like that somehow.
  • Dm10O
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Open commandprompt as admin and enter this: netsh interface tcp set heuristics disabled

Hit enter.

After doing that, enter this: netsh interface tcp show global

Copy the output from that command on this topic so I can see it.
  • Rroff24
    edited February 2017
    TCP Global Parameters
    Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
    Chimney Offload State : automatic
    NetDMA State : enabled
    Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
    Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none
    ECN Capability : disabled
    RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

I'm fairly sure it isn't networking related though as I've had different setups since BF4 released and I'm not even on the same internet connection or LAN as when I started playing - plus someone else is using one of my old systems with a couple of slightly upgrades and has no issues.

EDIT: Plus as mentioned before when someone else posted netsh commands - I've tweaked a lot of this in the past without any improvements and in some cases negative results and put them mostly back to defaults.
  • TechN9neTwiztid

TCP Global Parameters
    Receive-Side Scaling State : disabled
    Chimney Offload State : disabled
    NetDMA State : disabled
    Direct Cache Access (DCA) : disabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
    Initial RTO : 3000
    Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled
    Non Sack Rtt Resiliency : disabled
    Max SYN Retransmissions : 2
    TCP Fast Open : enabled

mines way different mmm lol. i have the same issue at times figured its just where i live. Alaska witch our internet up here blows even with cable cuz of the distance. but seeing others having this issue maybe its not just cuz of where i live
  • Rroff24
    Which OS is that? - IIRC Windows 7, 8 and 10 return slightly different settings. I don't think it is an internet thing though the effect seems to be magnified based on the amount of latency in the mix - I've seen a very small number of people describing the same thing enough I'm convinced its not just lag, etc.
  • Dm10O
    edited February 2017
    TCP Global Parameters
    Receive-Side Scaling State : disabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
    Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled

mines way different mmm lol. i have the same issue at times figured its just where i live. Alaska witch our internet up here blows even with cable cuz of the distance. but seeing others having this issue maybe its not just cuz of where i live

No, no.. you have a very serious issue present there (your windows auto-tuning is disabled), read here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2016/08/11/an-update-on-windows-tcp-autotuninglevel/

msrp doesn't, but as you post here too, that bugged configuration can very well cause your variant of this issue or similar.
    (only for TechN9NeT: run in commandprompt this to fix it: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal )
    Someone really messed up your networking, as you can read from technet article.

But for msrp.. its not related so nevermind that I asked.
  • TechN9neTwiztid
    windows 10 is what im running. and for real i got a serious issue.. wow mmm ill try this thanks
  • TechN9neTwiztid
    edited February 2017
    TCP Global Parameters
    Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
    Receive Segment Coalescing State : enabled

windows auto-tuning is now on umm dose it look good now?
  • NOVA-GOA
    281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You guys are messing with to much stuff. No need to do all that stuff. Run the commands below to reset to default settings.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
    At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:

Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
    Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  • Rroff24
    Weirdly turning heuristics off seems to have some impact on hit markers though I think its mostly visual - playing a few games with experimenting with different settings they seem to be more accurate and responsive with it off - sadly doesn't solve the original problem but does seem to allow me to place shots much more as I intended - getting 5-6x headshot ribbons per round versus 2x.
  • biotek7
    228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wish I could add to the discussion with evidence but I have none. As msrp24 has said, it's almost something you have to feel rather than see. This has been a consistent problem for me starting with BF3 and persisting through BF4, BF, and BF1. Every time they "improved" the networking in the BF4 updates it got worse. Also as said, the betas were great. Performance was perfect and the game was an amazing experience... come release it all goes bad. I've also been playing various fps online since approx. quake 1 and it's only these newer games with lag compensation that have issues.
    I don't have more to add to what msrp24 has stated, all I can say is that I have the exact same thing and no one has ever had any solutions.
  • Rroff24
    I don't really have any issues (like this) with other games using modern lag compensation myself - most other games I can play exactly like I'm on LAN to reasonably close servers - which is what makes it all the more frustrating.
  • NOVA-GOA
    281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    msrp24 wrote: »
    I don't really have any issues (like this) with other games using modern lag compensation myself - most other games I can play exactly like I'm on LAN to reasonably close servers - which is what makes it all the more frustrating.

You are also playing on a 64 man server at 30hz. I was playing on a 48 man tdm 30hz server and it was bad. Net graph lines were spread out and server tick was above the 30hz line. Plus lots of high pingers. Not all servers are like this.
    Again its the lag compensation and just the engine in general and who is hosting the server.
  • Rroff24
    edited February 2017
    NOVA-GOA wrote: »
    msrp24 wrote: »

You are also playing on a 64 man server at 30hz. I was playing on a 48 man tdm 30hz server and it was bad. Net graph lines were spread out and server tick was above the 30hz line. Plus lots of high pingers. Not all servers are like this.
    Again its the lag compensation and just the engine in general and who is hosting the server.

I've had the same issue since the game went retail and played on a lot of different servers over that time - though mostly conquest large - the first few months I played pretty much exclusively hardcore on like 24 players - all I do now is 64 player lockers due to having pretty much given up on playing anything else due to it and having a bit of an itch to scratch for the style of gameplay (loadouts, etc.) that there isn't much else with an active scene at the moment that caters for.

I've also tried higher than 30Hz servers, etc. without it being much different.

The key thing for me is though - I've played on other people's accounts like my brothers and it isn't even half as bad as I get it.
  • TrueEmissary
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I give up.....
    I'm just tired that every LMG seems to be killing me with two shots and every single DMR with ONE single shot to the body. I have the hardcore damage model and everyone else not. I was kinda successfull to eliminate the packetloss due to the tipps here (kudos to NOVA-GOA), but the game still seems to be fairly out of sync for me.

Well, i just suck it up for now. It just seems meant to be like it is for me...
  • biotek7
    228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Welp, the update didn't fix any of this. Still great connection with no packet loss, still bad hitreg, dying behind walls, and teleporting players. :(