Character Customization Presets & Faction Ranks

Vespervin
1205 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited May 2016
Hello!

When we go to choose our class we should be able to select our character's look from a pool of presets, say, 4 presets per class, and we're picking Support. No matter the preset you select you will still be recognized as a Support player. This way we don't have "clones" running all over the Battlefield. That, or give us 4 facial presets and allow us to customize the clothing, clothing that only the Support would have access too, again so people know our class. This would apply to all 4 classes, and maybe the vehicle classes too!

Faction ranks. This is taken from my Battlelog topic but the idea's the same.

What I have in mind here does not change the game, at all, really. It's more of a cosmetic change.

Now, when we play Battlefield 3, all of the ranks are those from the United States Marine Corps. While I'm fine with this, I would like it so if I'm playing, say on the People's Liberation Army, the rank insignia would look like theirs.

For instance, say my rank is Captain. Below are what they look like for the United States Marine Corps, Russian Ground Forces and People's Liberation Army.

USMC - Captain
ar_captain.gif

RGF - капита́н (Kapitán)
awtkig.png

PLA - 上尉 (Shàngwèi)
8Wiievy.png

Depending on which faction I'm playing as, the rank should change to match. Now, the rank number would still be next to the icon just like how it is now. If this was Battlefield 3, all rank icons would have "42" besides them. If you did not recognize the icon, the number is still there so you'll know the rank.

On Battlelog, when you chose your soldier avatar, the rank insignia will change also. So, in my case I have the RGF Assault and therefor I should have the RGF Colonel icon instead of the USMC one.

Just a minor detail that I believe games with various military factions should have.

I would like some opinions on this. Thank you for reading!

Comments

• UnderbossNiko
    190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    More customization is always preferred, as I've stated in previous forum posts. What your suggesting is also a nice little touch. What with the insignia changes and all. I think a bit more customization for character is better. As well as letting us have more nationalities to choose from for each side then just one per team. I'd like to fight alongside French, English and other groups on the Allied team then just Say we all being American Doughboys. Same for the Central power's side. It's not just two nations Dice. I respect you and your games, and I'd love for you to show the same to the many nations that fought in this one.
  • Vespervin
    1205 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You're right, it's not just two nations. I'm sure DICE will include the main ones.
  • Ag3nt_D4rk
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I like this idea seeing different ranks for different faction would be awesome.
  • Vespervin
    Thank you. I just believe that it would add more authenticity to the game and it could be a lot of fun! :)
  • Vespervin
    edited June 2016
    Bump:

I just started playing a game called 'Heroes & Generals' and they have the same rank system as my idea, I believe. I'll provide some pictures below.

BRDrV4I.jpg
    DW5oq45.jpg
    YdYbwVB.jpg

This game even has the correct names for the Soviet and German ranks, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Anyone else have some thoughts to share? Is this something you'd like to see in Battlefield 1?
  • Peccath
    618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Bump:

I just started playing a game called 'Heroes & Generals' and they have the same rank system as my idea, I believe. I'll provide some pictures below.

BRDrV4I.jpg
    DW5oq45.jpg
    YdYbwVB.jpg

This game even has the correct names for the Soviet and German ranks, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Anyone else have some thoughts to share? Is this something you'd like to see in Battlefield 1?

I'd like to see that! I'd even like to have separate ranking XP per faction.
  • Bush_Kangaroo74
    117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The Australian rank is a bit different to the British rank,,, I hope the links work ???
    http://www.army.gov.au/our-people/ranks

And a bit of history about the funny hat's military they wear down under...
    http://www.army.gov.au/Our-history/traditions/The-slouch-hat
  • Hir3ling
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I like it! Though cosmetic like you said, it's very true to life. I think it'd be a great addition. Learning more about the worlds military while having fun gaming is always a plus. :)
  • Vespervin
    Hir3ling wrote: »
    I like it! Though cosmetic like you said, it's very true to life. I think it'd be a great addition. Learning more about the worlds military while having fun gaming is always a plus. :)

I agree! It would make the game a lot better if you ask me.
  • AQuamAN221
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    like both of OP's ideas. Think it could be nice if they're were slight variations to the player presets (like different coats,hats, etc). But then I think they would have to have a definitive marking or item to distinguish from other classes. Like the medics wearing Red Cross arm bands or having crutches on their person (like in the trailer).

What other things do you guys think could help with adding asthetic variation to individual players but still allow a player to identify soldiers from other distinct classes?
  • Vespervin
    I would LOVE it if medics had the white and red armbands on. I also think maybe being able to cycle through presets that have different, but authentic to the country, hats, helmets, etc.
  • AQuamAN221
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    100% agree. Whatever customizations they give they have to be faction accurate. There is plenty of historical material for that. Would take away from immersion and be down right confusing if for example some British soldier was running around in a pickelhaube lol.
  • Vespervin
    I've been playing more of Heroes & Generals and I love the customization system (cosmetic) it has for the weapons and soldiers. I hope Battlefield 1 is like it.
  • Oroku_Miwa
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like both ideas, customization and variation like this is welcome.
  • Sylosisxxx
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I think someone else said it...separate ranking system for each faction. Not just cosmetic but actually having to play with each faction to rank up within a specific faction. That could keep it a little fresh since you wouldn't just get to max rank once and that's it, you'd have to do it for however many factions there are. I guess then you'd have to do faction specific weapons and equipment which is the one thing I didn't like about BF3 or Hardline but I could get used to it as long as there's no stupid "weapon license" I gotta have to use a certain weapon with whatever faction I'm playing as
  • Hayro
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
  • bananahead81
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Liking this thread. It's a meaningful addition. Got my vote :)

Nice ideas
  • JuveOG1105
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    Very good idea I made a post about this a few days ago but yours is better and way more detailed.
  • schallsj
    63 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    I want 6 presets and if you're support you should be a bigger guy. Scout's should be skinny guys. Engineers should have glasses. Also, Neon camo or GTFO.
  • DingoKillr
    3418 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2016
    If you are talking about seeing our rank in game on our uniform sure but the NCO ranks are easy for Infantry. However when it comes to officers the uniforms changes and placement of rank changes.

I would rather see Infantry as 64 NCO then 40 Officers and 24 NCO.