In the Battlefield 1 Incursions Closed Alpha? If you're unable to see the forums, log out and log back in.
Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

My Opinions on the They Shall Not Pass Weapons after 5 Stars with them

Desyatnik_Pansy
895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Ok, I lied already. It's easier for me to say the TSNP Weapons instead of saying the RSC 1917 Factory, Ribeyrolles 1918 Factoy, Chauchat Low Weight and Lebel Model 1886 Infantry. I didn't get the Optical/Telescopic/Sniper versions of the guns because anyone who's seen someone of my posts knows by now that I hate optics and whatnot, and I have no interest in using a shotgun because to me, there's no real difference between it and existing shotguns in the game except appearance.

Let's get to the thread then. Remember, these are my opinions; not yours, not your neighbours, not anyone else's. My opinions. You are entirely welcome to agree, or more than likely, disagree with them.

RSC 1917 Factory
I wasn't really going into this gun expecting to really like it. I mean, it's kinda obvious since I love the Selbstlader 1906, nothing can really compete with it. Especially not a gun with half the rate of fire. That said, I want to like the gun, I really, really do. But I just can't. The 2-shot kill within what, 45m, is lovely. However, to me, if you are not able to 2-shot that enemy you might as well not even fire your gun. If you can't force the enemy to engage you within that range, you're screwed, having to 3-shot someone with this gun feels like trying to engage that tank with a Kolibri. Especially coming from the 1906, this annoys me, because I enjoy being able to engage even that sniper 400m away. It's not impossible of course, it just frustrates me.

This gun put me into a weird situation. I never wanted to engage enemies from beyond 45m, but also didn't want to get within 10-15m of them if I could. On some maps I could do this perfectly; this'll show later with the Lebel; and I could casually go on streaks of killing the enemy. And then other maps I could barely do anything, I could never engage the enemy appropriately and would constantly lose engagements. With the 1906, I regularly go 30-40+ And easily maintained a 3 K/D Most games while playing the objective. The RSC I struggled to get over 30 At all and getting below 2 K/D Was pretty common. I probably did so much worse because especially in mid-range engagements, I'd often wait longer than necessary to fire my second shot because I wanted to make sure it landed (and with my accuracy; which is crap; it often didn't) which very easily gets you killed with this gun.

So yeah. I want to like the gun, I really do. I plan on getting to 10 Stars with it, but before even the 1st Star I was already just wanting to go back to the 1906. This is probably end of the day just because of my love for the 1906 And my inability to use any other Medic rifle since. I of course look forward to future Medic rifles in the other DLCs, perhaps I won't feel so useless with them.

Ribeyrolles 1918 Factory
In complete contrast to the RSC, I love this gun. I really, really do. It's amazing IMO. I could never really get behind the other Assault weapons; shotguns are entirely out of the question for me. The Automatico, while extremely annoying to face, is really just not my thing since I tend to like some range on my opponents. The MP18 and Hellriegel weren't ever bad, but I just never really felt attached to using such weapons (MP18 Has 802 Kills, my third most used weapon, only from getting to Rank 10 With Assault ages back). I often only played Assault to destroy that pesky tank or something and maybe place some AT Mines because other than that, I felt so incredibly useless for any other task. This gun however, gives me everything I want, especially the part where I can now quite easily engage enemies with some range, though I wouldn't really advise trying it against every enemy since you will still be outgunned easily by a competent Medic. My only problem with it is arguably a problem every Assault SMG Experiences; I often find myself running low on ammo and then having to hunt down a Support player.

The main thing I should perhaps highlight is of course, the bipod that the Ribeyrolles gets. It's definitely a cool feature, though I don't really use it that often. It's great for using in certain positions; the pillbox on D Flag on Argonne that most people tend to camp in has another pillbox facing it on the other side, which I often abused bipoding on the window, shooting the people in the pillbox on the flag and then using the AT Rockets to clear out anyone else inside. Or perhaps a building outside of E (towards D) Which you could blow up a wall of and then bipod aiming into the objective and getting a fair number of kills easily from any enemies trying to look out. Any spot you could probably abuse with an LMG Using a bipod, you can use this too. Only thing I can say bad about it, and it's not really bad, is not to waste your time trying to shoot from B on Monte Grappa down to the snipers in the Italian fort in the spawn. Use it for ranges burst-fire won't work for you, but don't try to counter-snipe the snipers with it. That's what your AT Rocket gun exists for when there aren't tanks to farm.

Definitely using it to 10 Stars, definitely using it beyond that. Maybe I'll more actively play Assault with this thing, get it to Rank 50 Since I don't assume I'll reach it just getting the 5 More stars.

Chauchat Low Weight
I'll make this clear, as I will also do with the Lebel and the Scout class. I never really played Assault but I never really hated it. Support though... just.. euuhh. I really just can't stand the class. The Chauchat wasn't a bad gun to use. It definitely wasn't as painful to play with for me than basically every other gun (the Lewis Gun Suppressive made me want to kill myself it was so bad), but it definitely doesn't sell me on playing the class any more than I already had. Humorously, I didn't really feel like I took 3-shots to kill people in hindsight, which is what I had heard about the gun going into it. I'm probably wrong, as I didn't record any clips of using it or anything like that. Even at close range I felt like it usually took me 4 Shots to kill someone, but like I said, it's probably my imagination. Nonetheless, the gun killed rather quickly at range, and I found it was lovely for killing small groups of enemies quickly if they were unaware. Of course, if they were aware of you at all, you died. Well, most of the time, I think I had a few moments humorously where they somehow failed to kill me.

If I had to really highlight one thing about the gun, it's the amazing sound it's obviously the low magazine. And from my experience, it didn't really hamper my play with the gun. The low rate of fire especially meant I could easily keep check of just how much rounds were left in the gun and especially as someone who's terrible at aiming, it definitely helped out a lot of situations where had I been using the BAR Or probably most other LMGs, I'd have missed most of my shots and the enemy wouldn't even be dead by the time I'm stuck reloading. But hey, that's probably just me.

Not really anything else to say. I found the weapon alright, it wasn't exactly painful to play or anything, but it definitely doesn't sell me on the class. I don't really think any LMG Will to be fair. Hopefully it might work for some people though, because atleast with that very distinct sound of it I can easily find a Support to give me ammo. :>

Lebel Model 1886 Infantry
I said I'd do it above so I'll do it again. I'm not big on Scout. It's funny too, since I do rather like bolt-actions (in Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 for example, I primarily play rifleman even if semi-automatic rifles, SMGs or the like are available), but I just can't really enjoy Scout. It was my most used class (excluding Pilot of course) aside from Medic previously though, because if after a long day of playing I just felt like ****ing around rather than trying to backpack the team, I'd just throw out the Gewehr 98 Infantry and run around. Easy as **** to farm those kills assists as kills, and the Lebel is no different. I said it in some thread previously that a fair chunk of my kills with the Lebel; probably like 100 Or so; were just assist kills. This is also probably just the case with any other rifle, but I also found this gun amazing for getting kills. P08 Kills, that is. It probably doubled how long I had to use the gun but so often I'd just shoot and switch. I easily got 200-250 Kills with the P08 Just because of it; which, I'm not unhappy about, but by the end of the 500 Kills with the Lebel I was ready to just put the game down for a week if it wasn't for the other weapons or the x2 xp (I did the Lebel first, if you're wondering).

Ok, to actually get to the weapon. A bit like Support, I have to apologise to Scout players in advance since being how little I play it I don't really know how to use it effectively. I rarely got sweetspot kills with the Lebel. In fact, I rarely did 80 Or more damage, mostly settling between 60 to 75 (75 Being the necessary damage for those assist kills mind you). I think I played the gun way too close to my enemy sometimes, but it's hard for me to force myself to engage enemies from further away to abuse the sweetspot. For a rifle, I did like the gun. Even with that reload that makes you cry buckets. I love the look of the gun, the sound, and the rate of fire didn't feel that dissimilar to the Gewehr M.95 Though certainly not as quick. When I was able to get into the swing of things, it was lovely to just go bip, bap, bam and kill three people with ease. There was however a period of time with the rifle where I just couldn't do ****. It was somewhere between the 400-500 Kill mark, where in around 4 Games that I should've easily reached 500 From, I struggled to get even 30. No fault of the rifle mind you, it was entirely me just failing to lead shots properly, trying to engage people from point blank when I shouldn't or running at targets I knew were looking my way and just completely making a ****show of things. After that I had some of the best games with the rifle, but goddamn, that session really just made me want to stop playing there.

If I play Scout, I'll probably use the Lebel. Most of the rifles feel very similar to me from the limited time using them, but the Lebel and Gewehr 98 Just stick out to me mostly because of looks and whatnot (I'm that idiot who'll use a garbage gun just because it looks cool IMO. I mean, I use the Selbstlader 1906, what did you expect? :D). Maybe I'll have to use it some more soon to make 20 Stars with the P08 Easier, though maybe not so soon that I quit the game for a month because of those terrible sessions with it.

All in all, those opinions were probably worth ****. But eh, I still rather enjoyed using them for 500 Kills, even if the Lebel made me want to die from playing Scout so much by the end of it. In short; I want to like the RSC 1917 But it frustrates the hell out of me, I love the Ribeyrolles and the Chauchat and Lebel were alright but didn't spark the same sort of interest in actually playing their respective classes now like the Ribeyrolles. I've obviously no real opinions about the Sjorgen Inertial (that right?) or the Mle. 1903 Extended nor do I have the intention of unlocking those guns. I of course also have no interest in the other variants of the RSC, Chauchat or Lebel.

I'll probably do the same thing with other DLCs like In the Name of the Tsar, even if some of the weapons there make me want to die again. See how bad they are y'know.

Comments

• SaintBrandon88
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Definitely digging the Ribeyrolles. Range is something I also value and I was never much of a fan of the mp18. To me, it's got more of an assault rifle feel than an smg feel.
  • MarxistDictator
    2784 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah the Chauchat and RSC are really hinged on their higher damage and not too great outside it. I think they both need custom multipliers to where arm hits do not affect TTK and a bit more max damage range (20m for the Chauchat and 60m with the RSC) to be less gimmicky. They're both prone to being totally spoiled.

The Riberyolles I don't really like at all, while I enjoy the Lebel 1886 more than other infantry rifles (Browning 1895, G98).
  • cammoses003
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    you folks are missing out on the Lebel Sniper .. already at 12 stars with it, so fun to run and gun quickscoping with it, but also good with its long range play, just so versatile

and yeah I agree with your opinion on the RibR and RSC, Im loving those too - also at 5+ stars with em
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    you folks are missing out on the Lebel Sniper .. already at 12 stars with it, so fun to run and gun quickscoping with it, but also good with its long range play, just so versatile

and yeah I agree with your opinion on the RibR and RSC, Im loving those too - also at 5+ stars with em

I can't stand Optics/Scopes, and also have no interest in the slightest in sniper versions of the bolt-actions. They just aren't for me.
  • Gforce81
    2089 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Great overall look; I'm working towards the Chauchat myself, not interested in the Ribeyroller. Got everything else.

I'm a little chaffed you think "all shotguns are the same except appearance" :cry:
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Great overall look; I'm working towards the Chauchat myself, not interested in the Ribeyroller. Got everything else.

I'm a little chaffed you think "all shotguns are the same except appearance" :cry:

They basically all just oneshot at close range (except 12g?) and are practically useless at any range except the Slug. Missing anything?
  • Gforce81
    2089 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

They basically all just oneshot at close range (except 12g?) and are practically useless at any range except the Slug. Missing anything?

All Medic rifles need at least 3-4 hits to kill at range, save RSC with 2 up close.

You can oversimplify every single weapon category. I'm just a little protective of my shotties
  • Desyatnik_Pansy

All Medic rifles need at least 3-4 hits to kill at range, save RSC with 2 up close.

You can oversimplify every single weapon category. I'm just a little protective of my shotties

To each their own of course. I just think shotguns aren't anything special. As it fits the thread almost perfectly..
    10687479.gif
  • Sierra_Hotel_1
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    BTW the new shotgun behaves like the 12g (semi-auto), but IMO is even better.

Plus it sounds like a beam weapon when you fire it!!

I can't wait to stop grinding to get all the new weapons, so I can take the new shotty for a proper spin and reap some salty goodness.
  • Sixclicks
    1516 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 20
    Here are my quick evaluations, although I don't have a bunch of stars to back it up:

RSC - Amazing if you're an aggressive scout player who wants to be a medic. To me, it's like using a Gewehr M.95 with 2.5x the fire rate. The downside is it can't OHK with a headshot like the M.95 can. It only does 90 damage to the head. If you're a very accurate player, this gun is absolutely amazing within 46 meters. I didn't find it to be too great at extremely close ranges though just because everyone strafes and slides around so fast. Missing a single shot with it at close range is a death sentence. You need to land every hit to make this gun effective. Another downside is the 6 round mag. You've got to reload every 2 or 3 kills because of this. I prefer the factory variant over the optical variant (I'm not a fan of the optical sights). I got 70 kills in a Frontlines match using this gun. And it wasn't one of those games that lasted forever.

Chauchat - Amazing LMG for aggressive play. It kills in 3 hits out to 12 meters and 4 hits out to 30 meters. It has a good amount of kick to it, so it's not very good for medium-long range shooting unless you're prone. The magazine size is also pretty small, but that's the tradeoff for high damage. It's damage is so good in fact that it's actually got a faster TTK than the BAR at close ranges. I prefer the Low Weight variant. The default iron sights are really nice and the spread is lower. This LMG has a bit too much kick to be useful with the telescopic in my opinion unless you're using the bipod.

Lebel Model 1886 - I'll start by saying I don't have the sniper variant yet (only one from the 4 main classes that I haven't finished). I don't particularly like using scoped weapons nowadays. That said, this rifle to me is like any other rifle. Use it if your targets are in the 50-87 meter sweetspot range. It racks new rounds pretty quickly and the 8 round capacity is definitely nice, but the reload is terrible. It's a slow reload of one bullet at a time. If you're trying to play aggressively with this rifle (like I tend to do when playing scout) you'll oftentimes get caught while reloading and end up dead. Overall, I'm not a big fan of this rifle. I don't target enemies in the 50-87 meter range often and the M.95 is just overall better for an aggressive scout. I do really like it's default iron sight though I guess.

Ribeyrolles 1918 Factory - This is my least used of the new weapons. I'm personally not a fan so far. It's got a little too much recoil in my opinion. It kills pretty quickly if you can stay on target, but I feel that the MP18 or Automatico Trench are just plain better. The bipod seems kind of useless to me. Whenever I'm playing assault, the last thing I'm doing is laying prone with a bipod...

Sjögren Inertial Factory - This thing is ridiculous. I'd even say it's borderline OP. It shoots very rapidly, has very low recoil, and it has a tight enough spread to kill in one shot within 15 meters. Oftentimes you'll need to shoot the enemy twice however, which isn't that big of an issue considering how fast it fires. You do have to make sure your shot is pretty well centered on the enemy however since it only fires 13 pellets per shot.

Keep in mind that my evaluations are based off of using these weapons in mostly Domination plus a little bit of Frontlines on the side. They may perform better or worse in larger game modes like Conquest or Operations.
  • HardAimedKid
    10111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I feel like the lebel is a just a worse version of the smle.

The shotgun is garbage

The chauchat is awesome if you play to its strengths

The ribeyrolles stunned me, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Rsc is savage to me up to that 2HK range
  • cammoses003
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

i feel the opposite tbh, i think I'm liking it a lot more than the SMLE
  • HardAimedKid
    10111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Really? I'm sure I'll still use it some, I wasn't loving it though. I do love the irons on it though.
  • Sixclicks
    1516 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

The shotgun is garbage

I feel the same way about the Lebel. The shotgun is awesome in Domination. Not really a fan of the Ribeyrolles. I agree on the RSC. Now because of the RSC I can play aggressive scout as a medic lol.
  • Desyatnik_Pansy

The 2-shot is pretty lovely, but it's really all the rifle has going for it IMO. Everything else I hate about it. Hell, I'd still rather take my 1906 On maps like Argonne or Vaux where enemies will pretty much always be within that 2-shot range for the RSC.
  • HardAimedKid
    Sixclicks wrote: »

The shotgun is garbage

I feel the same way about the Lebel. The shotgun is awesome in Domination. Not really a fan of the Ribeyrolles. I agree on the RSC. Now because of the RSC I can play aggressive scout as a medic lol.

Oh yeah the rsc is so dirty, I almost feel dirty when I use it lol. I need to digest all of them though, it's hard when you keep switching between them every 5 minutes lol
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    Sixclicks wrote: »

The shotgun is garbage

Oh yeah the rsc is so dirty, I almost feel dirty when I use it lol. I need to digest all of them though, it's hard when you keep switching between them every 5 minutes lol

I played strictly with whichever weapon I was working on. So irregardless of map, I was playing with only the Lebel while using it, then the Chauchat, then the Ribeyrolles and now the RSC. I don't really find that I can actively switch between guns between matches, or during them. Just doesn't work for me. :p
  • cammoses003

Really? I'm sure I'll still use it some, I wasn't loving it though. I do love the irons on it though.

the sniper variant feels awesome to me, i haven't touched the infantry tho - so you might be right in saying its a worse version of the smle in the infantry realm. i feel like the lebel has a bit better long range game, tho that could just be the effect of the 8x magnification (which i love).. also feels like its hip fire is much better, even tho the stats say they're both the same. the reloading is very different on each, i like the lebel being reloaded in single shots so if need be you can quick cancel after loading one or two shots to finish a guy off, but i hate its reload for k-bullets as it has to go through that stupid animation every time.. I'm pretty sure normally reloading bullets into it is actually faster if you double tap switch weapon to cancel that animation. lastly the overall visuals when playing this weapon looks so nice! that bolt back and quick scope zoom is beautiful :D
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    Finally actually had a good game with the RSC. Still would've preferred to have the 1906 In some situations, but still, not bad at all for the RSC.
    Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=mXcJuIIGztFyldDAoRxknCe4n88M%2F7hqLR%2FxCoUd274%3D

Just wish I did better in the early game, almost quit out after two separate occasions where I killed someone only for his squadmate to spawn in immediately afterwards and either tank the damage or kill me because I'd walked away not expecting it.
  • ProLegion_exor
    2027 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I´m in love with the RSC. I win 95% of the 1v1 within 45 meters with it. You need to play smart, since it´s so dependent on accuracy and awerness. Don´t hasitate to take the 2nd shot. Trust your aim.