Okay, hear me out. I think there are a few nagging problems with the game that might all be helped with a new game mechanic. First, I'll list the problems:
- Too many Scouts sitting on hills all game and trading sniping kills and deaths.
- Even worse, too many VEHICLES sitting on hills all game farming kills and not dying at all.
- No long-range infantry weapon that can damage a tank fast enough to kill it. Yes, AT rockets exist, but the further a tank sits back from the action, the easier it is to back up 10 yards and safely repair. They're actually REWARDED for staying away from the action with indefinite life.
- Despite all the yummy bonus points, players still don't focus on capping flags enough.
Now, a solution:
- Introduce an artillery call-in token.
- Hand out one token per flag cap. The token goes to a random player who PARTICIPATED IN THE FLAG CAP.
- Cash in the token on the map screen to fire an artillery barrage anywhere on the map. It won't have a huge radius of effect, but it will be very damaging. As in, it can completely kill a tank.
- Give the call-in a several-second lag time, such that it would be complete luck to catch a moving target, but super easy to hit a camper.
- Don't give ANY indication the artillery has been fired. Not even a distant sound effect. A warning would just make campers move slightly in one direction for a few seconds, and only be an annoyance. It needs to be a complete surprise.
I briefly suggested this in an unrelated thread, but thought I would start a more detailed separate thread.